• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman Miles Morales Adds RT to 60 FPS mode

oh man having tried it, it doesnt look anywhere near as soft as i feared it might, sure its not crystal clear like fidelity but with RT i would for sure have played in this mode if it was available at launch ☹
Yeah, shame I played MM first before starting my new game + of remastered. Gah.

JeloSWE

Seriously. I wish native 4K would just not even be a target for these consoles. In 3D games, I can barely tell the difference between it and 1440p on my 55" display at a reasonable sitting distance. Add in sophisticated upscaling techniques and I would be hard pressed to see any difference, I think.
I can as I sit 1.5 m away from my 75" TV. I really do appreciate games that manages to present a clean 4K image, regardless of reconstruction of DLSS. I think these options 3 modes are what we need to make most people happy.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
I think i'll stick with RT30 mode. Not worth the trade-off for much less pedestrians.

This is one game where that really wouldn't bother me. Especially when you spend so much time web slinging and up above, pedestrians seems like something that you don't really see that often as other games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Played this new mode last night. It's THE WAY to play this game. And I'm a person that LOVES solid 30 fps games!

Spokker

It's a great addition but I still prefer fidelity for story missions and performance for faffing about. I sit close to the TV and the aliasing in performance RT is distracting, and the RT itself is decent but iffy, and I noticed objects disappearing in the reflections.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Bumping an old thread here, because I only recently started playing this game. Anyway, do you guys experience a solid 60fps in Performance RT mode? Because on my PS5 that's certainly not the case. Most of the time when just looking around from one spot it is a locked 60, but whenever I'm swinging fast close to street level I notice rather frequent stuttering. Not like it goes down to 40fps or whatever, but it's very obviously not a locked 60 either. There seems to be dropped frames rather regularly, so yeah, it just seems to stutter a bit. I haven't heard anyone (including DF) mention this, so just wondering if I should be concerned. Maybe my PS5 isn't boosting enough, lol.

Performance mode seems flawless though (but there's no going back to not having RT after having experienced it in this game).

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread here, because I only recently started playing this game. Anyway, do you guys experience a solid 60fps in Performance RT mode? Because on my PS5 that's certainly not the case. Most of the time when just looking around from one spot it is a locked 60, but whenever I'm swinging fast close to street level I notice rather frequent stuttering. Not like it goes down to 40fps or whatever, but it's very obviously not a locked 60 either. There seems to be dropped frames rather regularly, so yeah, it just seems to stutter a bit. I haven't heard anyone (including DF) mention this, so just wondering if I should be concerned. Maybe my PS5 isn't boosting enough, lol.

Performance mode seems flawless though (but there's no going back to not having RT after having experienced it in this game).
Got any video? I'd be interested to see what you mean.

Vick

Haven't managed to play Miles Morales yet, despite owning it, because i only have a Digital PS5 at the moment, but i've completed Spider-Man Remastered and DLC's in Performance RT and that one was rock solid. From what i've seen Morales doesn't really look that much better so it seems rather strange.

Would be awful if true because i'm in love with this mode.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haven't managed to play Miles Morales yet, despite owning it, because i only have a Digital PS5 at the moment, but i've completed Spider-Man Remastered and DLC's in Performance RT and that one was rock solid. From what i've seen Morales doesn't really look that much better so it seems rather strange.
It would be awful if true because i'm love with this mode.

It's not like it chugs, it just obviously is not a locked 60fps.

Kerotan

I completed spiderman remastered today in performance RT mode and haven't noticed any frame drops but I've not specifically tried to notice them. On the dlc now and still no notifiable issues.

Haven't played miles yet.

Vick

It's not like it chugs, it just obviously is not a locked 60fps.

Looks like you're right, based on this video it appears to often drop to 59 during traversal, even if the number on top doesn't register, to even reach 57 in some sequences.
Also not a big fan of the winter setting to be honest, the game looks sooo sterile in this video compared to the original..

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Looks like you're right, based on this video it appears to often drop to 59 during traversal, even if the number on top doesn't register, to even reach 57 in some sequences.
Also not a big fan of the winter setting to be honest, the game looks sooo sterile in this video compared to the original..

Hm, that video shows a bit of it, but in my experience it's a bit worse than this. It depends on where in the city I am though, some parts run almost flawlessly while in others I consistently see small stutters, especially when swinging close to the ground (which this video doesn't show much of).

It's really not a big deal (although it does keep the game from feeling completely smooth), I was just wondering if it's normal. PS5 has this unusual thing where it boosts clocks based on available power, so, I don't know, could a less "efficient" unit theoretically perform worse than another? I don't think it's supposed to work that way, but yeah.

Arioco

Maybe it deppends on the time of day?

Maybe it depends on the time of day? Unfortunatelly I played only an hour or so, but I don't think I've experienced that issue, or at least I haven't realised if it' there. I've found what seems to be an occasional one-frame dip when travelling really fast, but I wouldn't say that too much of an issue. I've recorded a short clip for you. Do you see the same problem here? Maybe you're just more sensible to stuttering than I am, but I don't think that the case, in fact I find stuttering really annoying.

(It May take a while for YouTube to finish processing the 1080p@60 fps video, currently it's only available in 480p and 30 fps)

I’ve just started playing again and said in another thread that there is definite judder in the 60fps RT mode. Some people will notice it and some won’t but it’s 100% there. All of the frame counter videos show drops to 56-57 fps which doesn’t sound like anything but some people will notice the duplicate frames as the game is v-synced.

The 60fps non RT seems perfect. The RT looks really poor at times anyhow so I’ve stuck with the non RT mode.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Maybe it depends on the time of day? Unfortunatelly I played only an hour or so, but I don't think I've experienced that issue, or at least I haven't realised if it' there. I've found what seems to be an occasional one-frame dip when travelling really fast, but I wouldn't say that too much of an issue. I've recorded a short clip for you. Do you see the same problem here? Maybe you're just more sensible to stuttering than I am, but I don't think that the case, in fact I find stuttering really annoying.

(It May take a while for YouTube to finish processing the 1080p@60 fps video, currently it's only available in 480p and 30 fps)

Yeah, that video shows a bit of it. As you say, it's occasional 1 frame hiccups, often appearing at the bottom of a swing when you're closest to the ground. It might not seem like anything to be bothered by, but for me personally it's really noticeable and breaks the 60fps fluidity, and I'm surprised people like DF didn't really seem to pick up on it. I also think it's worse in some parts of the city, where I experience much more frequent dropped frames than what you're getting here. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow, didn't have time today.
I’ve just started playing again and said in another thread that there is definite judder in the 60fps RT mode. Some people will notice it and some won’t but it’s 100% there. All of the frame counter videos show drops to 56-57 fps which doesn’t sound like anything but some people will notice the duplicate frames as the game is v-synced.

The 60fps non RT seems perfect. The RT looks really poor at times anyhow so I’ve stuck with the non RT mode.

Yeah, judder might be a better word than stuttering. It's just brief hiccups, 1 frame here and there, but enough to be really noticeable to me.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance

Never noticed it. I don’t get the criticism of the RT though, it’s virtually indistinguishable with a side by side shot and certainly not worth turning it off completely 🤢

Andodalf

Banned
Finally getting around to playing this game to completion, and the normal 60 FPS mode does seem to be the best way to play.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally getting around to playing this game to completion, and the normal 60 FPS mode does seem to be the best way to play.

I don't know, the RT makes many scenes look damn nice (indoor scenes in particular, and those have no framerate issues). The judder during traversal is noticeable (to me), but it's still minor enough that I wouldn't want to give up RT for it. It's not like the game is constantly hovering around 50fps or anything, it's just a missed frame here and there. Maybe you'll notice those brief pauses, maybe you won't.

U should sell it. It's clearly unplayable. What a piece of garbage. Soory u had to endure this. My sympathies.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
RoadHazard RoadHazard sorry if I missed this earlier, but did you happen to put the game in rest mode while playing? I noticed with Returnal occasionally after the system has been in rest mode the performance takes a huge hit. If that's the case rebooting the game worked for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got any video? I'd be interested to see what you mean.

Finally managed to record a video:

I think you'll agree that this far from a locked 60fps experience. It's not BAD, but to me it's very noticable that it's dropping frames all over. This is one of the worst spots I could find, it's usually not this bad (the more typical case is a dropped frame here and there), but yeah. Weirdly, it's only when swinging through the streets. If I stop at any point and just look around (like I do at the end there) it pretty much locks to a flawless 60.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

I think you'll agree that this far from a locked 60fps experience. It's not BAD, but to me it's very noticable that it's dropping frames all over. This is one of the worst spots I could find, it's usually not this bad (the more typical case is a dropped frame here and there), but yeah. Weirdly, it's only when swinging through the streets. If I stop at any point and just look around (like I do at the end there) it pretty much locks to a flawless 60.

Vrr support can’t come soon enough.

Hm, that video shows a bit of it, but in my experience it's a bit worse than this. It depends on where in the city I am though, some parts run almost flawlessly while in others I consistently see small stutters, especially when swinging close to the ground (which this video doesn't show much of).

It's really not a big deal (although it does keep the game from feeling completely smooth), I was just wondering if it's normal. PS5 has this unusual thing where it boosts clocks based on available power, so, I don't know, could a less "efficient" unit theoretically perform worse than another? I don't think it's supposed to work that way, but yeah.
No that's not possible because the boosts clocks system on each PS5 is not based on available power. It's based on the number of CPU and GPU instructions.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No that's not possible because the boosts clocks system on each PS5 is not based on available power. It's based on the number of CPU and GPU instructions.

Yeah, but THAT'S based on the power envelope which can't be exceeded. So I was thinking if a specific unit wasn't "all there"... But yeah, logically I know that's not how it works. I'm just a little paranoid because I'm seeing these performance issues that seemingly nobody else has noticed! Can't even find anything at all about it when googling, and then you know it's bad! Haha.

Arioco

Wow! Yes, that's a lot of stuttering, now I see what you meant. I haven't found any area like that in the game yet, but as I said I've played just an hour. VRR would completely fix the problem for you, but for now we'll have to keep waiting until SONY enables it with a new firmware. Honestly, I don't even know why it's taking so long. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, but THAT'S based on the power envelope which can't be exceeded. So I was thinking if a specific unit wasn't "all there"... But yeah, logically I know that's not how it works. I'm just a little paranoid because I'm seeing these performance issues that seemingly nobody else has noticed! Can't even find anything at all about it when googling, and then you know it's bad! Haha.
Again, no. That's based on a maximum number of instructions that can't be exceeded. period. The way that number has been previously calculated is of no concern for your PS5. Stop being paranoid indeed. ;)

Futurematic

If I switch performance profiles while playing from RT60 to 30fps the game chugs exactly like your video after the checkpoint restart but is fine if I kill and reboot.

Edit: I know that’s the opposite way around from you, but something is broken with the profiles in edge cases I guess?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If I switch performance profiles while playing from RT60 to 30fps the game chugs exactly like your video after the checkpoint restart but is fine if I kill and reboot.

Edit: I know that’s the opposite way around from you, but something is broken with the profiles in edge cases I guess?

What I'm experiencing doesn't look like a bug, just looks like the game isn't reaching its 60fps target in certain situations. As you can see in the video, once I stop at the top of the building it's a perfect 60 again. These issues only happen when swinging around.
Again, no. That's based on a maximum number of instructions that can't be exceeded. period. The way that number has been previously calculated is of no concern for your PS5. Stop being paranoid indeed. ;)

Alright, so then why is this game apparently performing worse on my PS5 than anyone else here has ever seen on theirs?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow! Yes, that's a lot of stuttering, now I see what you meant. I haven't found any area like that in the game yet, but as I said I've played just an hour. VRR would completely fix the problem for you, but for now we'll have to keep waiting until SONY enables it with a new firmware. Honestly, I don't even know why it's taking so long. 🤷‍♂️

Well, I don't really want VRR to fix the problem for me if this is not supposed to be happening. Then I want to know what's wrong with my PS5 (apart from its very significant coil whine).

Last edited:

Arioco

Well, I don't really want VRR to fix the problem for me if this is not supposed to be happening. Then I want to know what's wrong with my PS5 (apart from its very significant coil whine).

I don't think there's anything wrong with your console, it must be like that on every PS5 out there, I guess. I've never heard of one console having different performance than other unit, that'd ve really weird, they are all supposed to be the same, that's the thing with consoles and what makes them different from PC. The coil whine issue can vary depending on the unit, performance should not.

Don't you have any friend who owns a PS5 too? Maybe if you try the game on other console you'll see it's the same as on yours and that'll give you some peace of mind (so to speak). I'd gladly let you try the game on mine but maybe I'm a bit far away for that to happen. LOL

Seriously, don't worry, I'm sure everything is fine with your PS5, it's just that the performance is not perfect in that mode, so it's the game, not your console.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with your console, it must be like that on every PS5 out there, I guess. I've never heard of one console having different performance than other unit, that'd ve really weird, they are all supposed to be the same, that's the thing with consoles and what makes them different from PC. The coil whine issue can vary depending on the unit, performance should not.

Don't you have any friend who owns a PS5 too? Maybe if you try the game on other console you'll see it's the same as on yours and that'll give you some peace of mind (so to speak). I'd gladly let you try the game on mine but maybe I'm a bit far away for that to happen. LOL

Seriously, don't worry, I'm sure everything is fine with your PS5, it's just that the performance is not perfect in that mode, so it's the game, not your console.

Logically I know you're most likely right, I would just feel better if someone could confirm that they experience the same thing I suppose!

I've experienced brand new Sony consoles with faulty chips before, but that of course generally results in visual artifacts or crashing games rather than performance issues.

Last edited:

Arioco

Logically I know you're most likely right, I would just feel better if someone could confirm that they experience the same thing I suppose!

I've experienced brand new Sony consoles with faulty chips before, but that of course generally results in visual artifacts or crashing games rather than performance issues.

That's what I meant, if your unit was faulty you'd be experiencing crashes or glitchy visuals, maybe it would stop working, but not performance issues. That would make no sense at all. And it's known the game dips some frames in that mode, so I would't worry about it. 👍

Rea

Did you try reinstall the game? It might be bug. I don't feel any judder like this when playing. I noticed there's a few hiccups here and there but not like this.

Top Bottom