• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
To-Y (1987)
to-y.jpg
to-ya.jpg

to-yb.jpg
to-yc.jpg

Another fairly 80's OVA, this time focusing on a struggling band trying to make a name for itself while up against a rapidly growing Pop Idol industry doing everything it can to ensure their talentless signers remain on the top of the charts. There's some really nice animation in this that really complements the soundtrack which is a pretty good collection of Tokyo's music scene at the time. It's definitely an incredibly stylish piece of work and one worth checking because of it.

oh and it has a p. upbeat & mysterious catgirl so check that shit yo

Do you guys subscribe to Crunchyroll? And do you think it's worth it? I'm using the free trial to watch Attack on Titan and I'm liking the whole stream 1080p as soon as it comes out thing.

Although, I don't watch a crazy amount of anime. The most recent one I've watched was Evangelion and that was like, 4 months ago. After watching Attack on Titan I started getting interested in anime again though, so I've started Stein's Gate after hearing good things about it.

I think its worth it. I initially got it only for naruto shippuden over a year ago but then started watching more and more...over ten of my anime this season is there.

Karneval is a totally fun show. Don't understand the hate...wait no I do.

People hate Karneval? Well only like three or four people watch and post about it :( missing out on gareki. Best outfits spring 2013.

It's not the same thing. Most of the episodes have been substantially outsourced. There were 22 animation studios working on the animation of Titan 8. The problem is that the producers didn't give the show enough lead time to be able to produce a decent product.

Does we have any real informations about it? Is it not a rumour after the first low-quality scenes and episodes?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 102
I did not see this development coming.
Only Ikuhara could so effortlessly switch from IMPENDING DOOM FOREVER to Minako-chan stealing the show. I would normally complain about such mood swings but this was pretty magnificent.
lol Cenicienta

I will miss
Kaorinite's cleavage. I can't help but imagine her shattered to smithereens after falling from such a height. Eww.
This transition was really cool. Dat glorious 2D hand-drawn car past
I was mostly just curious whether or not they served a narrative purpose or were just filler.
The Nanami episodes are very enlightening upon rewatching the show. They are all about character development.
Does we have any real informations about it? Is it not a rumour after the first low-quality scenes and episodes?
It's pretty self-evident. If it were a budgeting issue they wouldn't have the resources to pay so many people. There's a reason the credit listings in the show are so hilariously long.
If you're talking about personal information, than not much. I don't go looking for anything, everything I know is stuff that has been posted on NeoGaf or related such as something you may have posted on your MAL profile which has been linked to.

All I can think of is maybe Age, Birthday, I could be wrong but I think you maybe mentioned you lived in
Mexico?
. That and you have a sister who watches anime from time to time. I think that's about it.
Nafe is hiding teh goods. I know you have more. :mad:

That the studio is scrambling to finish every episode at the last minute is not only clear by the evidence of the episodes themselves, the poor drawings and stills, the long, convoluted credits (if you're using three episode directors on a single episode, you've got a serious production problem), but also clear by allowing blatantly unfinished versions of the episodes to air on Fukuoka and Hokkaido TV stations and by the delays on streaming sites culminating with Crunchyroll putting up the notice "The stream time of each episode will be confirmed as materials are confirmed." The show should have aired in the fall.

HUnter x Hunter - 81

Pretty good episode.
I see that they already started to change some details for "later" .The second and third parts of this arc are gonna be excellent at this rate.

Ep 82 seems to be action packed ... I welcome that change.

Code Geass R2 13
FUCK YOU CODE GEASS WRITERS.

I KNEW IT WAS COMING AND IT IS STILL BAD WRITING.

OH GOD SHE DIDN'T EVEN TELL SUZAKU.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

I DON'T EVEN CARE. SO DUMB.

THIS SHOW IS SO DUMB.

OH MY HECK SHE DID. SHE SAID SHE WAS TOTALLY FINE WITH IT.

THIS SHOW IS DUMB.

I told you the writers knew they wrote themselves into a hole! Episode 13 is like episode 22 of S1. It's what happens when you write yourself into a hole, then say: "To hell with this shit!" and blast off out of the hole with a jetpack.

And you know what the best part is? You still have episodes 14-25 to go!

This is the tipping point. Every episode from here on out will fill you with conflicting emotions of fear, confusion, and madness.

Have fun!

/XX/

And yeah, now that you mention it, this is a very similar coloring style like Chowder. I was trying to think of other shows that did this way, but couldn't think of any.
I believe the Secret of Kels does it, too.
And Mononoke, guys... and Mononoke!

That's a great poster.
And seems to come from a great scene of personal struggle! Done before, but I always liked the idea of lifting images directly from the work to be adapted in the form of various promotional posters. I find it more powerful and representative of defining moments through a narrated person's life, as this is what it is, while some may remember and relate it to the previous graphical novel work of it Mr. Miyazaki did.

Now you're talking. Collecting LD's actually makes sense because you at least have some beautiful artwork to show for it. For example, consider these Kimagurage Orange Road LD's:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/...9055620_24be85e947_z_zpsea3645f4.jpg~original
Exactly. Those are gorgeous. There's a fair bit of nostalgia factor with LDs for me too. From what I've seen on Ebay, they typically don't break the bank in terms of price, with the caveat being that they're mostly Japanese releases. I somehow doubt you would be buying them for viewing anyway. Sort of in the same way one would buy singles of old comics. It's a collectors disease.
If only we could see a come back. At least this:

As Katsuyuki Konishi referred to on the latest GURREN RADIO program (http://www.onsen.ag/program/gurren/index.html?x=22&y=16), is a set that was made from the beginning to precisely resemble a LD-BOX... nice excuse to take full advantage of Mr. Yoshinari & Mr. Nishigori illustrations unlike on the old DVD-BOX edition!

There was so much care put on many LaserDisc releases; to think that even both Norihiko Nezu & Hideaki Anno (http://web.archive.org/web/20080611124437/http://www.gainaxpages.com/features/typography.php) designed together the covers and pamphlet material for the Neon Genesis Evangelion 'King Records VT LD Series', which featured exclusive illustrations by Takeshi Honda on big format, sure makes for an excellent artwork combination.

The three volumes (and for cheap) available at this link, just in case someone wants them. ;-)

-Minsc-

GTO (2012) 1

Didn't really know what to expect but so far it's pretty good.
While some key scenes are still in the drama, there are still differences that make it enjoyable even if you read the manga.
I like the actors they picked, the director is so pretty, good lord...
It has a good soundtrack but I think I prefer the OST of the anime version.
From what I can gather it also covers some stuff from GTO Shonan 14 Days, pretty cool idea.

The Director: Indeed she is. 14 Shonan Days material eh? Care to point out which episodes?

Space Bros.

Don't understand why the kid's dad beat him for wanting to be an aerospace engineer. I'm guessing the dad is just fucking stupid, no matter what type of engineer you become that's like guaranteed money right there. Let the kid make rockets goddamn it. As for Vince, just "becoming an astronaut" is kind of vague since most are either doctors, engineers or something like that. So either way both of them would have had some well paying careers.

Look at it this way, does any
abusive parents reason for hitting their child make sense
?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In a recent interview, Shinichiro Watanabe confirmed that his new show Space Dandy will be airing "autumn/winter of this year". He also called it a "so crazy, so funny, very strange TV series."
Fall is gonna be amazing.
As Katsuyuki Konishi referred to on the latest GURREN RADIO program (http://www.onsen.ag/program/gurren/index.html?x=22&y=16), is a set that was made from the beginning to precisely resemble a LD-BOX... nice excuse to take full advantage of Mr. Yoshinari & Mr. Nishigori illustrations unlike on the old DVD-BOX edition!

There was so much care put on many LaserDisc releases; to think that even both Norihiko Nezu & Hideaki Anno (http://web.archive.org/web/20080611124437/http://www.gainaxpages.com/features/typography.php) designed together the covers and pamphlet material for the Neon Genesis Evangelion 'King Records VT LD Series', which featured exclusive illustrations by Takeshi Honda on big format, sure makes for and excellent artwork combination.

The three volumes available at this link, just in case someone wants them. ;-)
Stop trying to guilt me into funding GAINAX, dammit!

I told you the writers knew they wrote themselves into a hole! Episode 13 is like episode 22 of S1. It's what happens when you write yourself into a hole, then say: "To hell with this shit!" and blast off out of the hole with a jetpack.

And you know what the best part is? You still have episodes 14-25 to go!

This is the tipping point. Every episode from here on out will fill you with conflicting emotions of fear, confusion, and madness.

Have fun!

14-25 is such a journey that i don't know where to start . Hoping to see corvo impressions ASAP

Utena 5

Damn things got steamy this episode, no wonder Miki's sister stopped playing the piano, she was too busy getting it on. I'm really glad they gave the "kind" Miki some flaws. He's very possessive and oblivious but it makes him a lot less boring. Also I liked them from the start but I never mentioned how much I like the silly foreboding shadow girls, amusing stuff.

Branduil

It's not the same thing. Most of the episodes have been substantially outsourced. There were 22 animation studios working on the animation of Titan 8. The problem is that the producers didn't give the show enough lead time to be able to produce a decent product.

So, who do we have to blame for this?

Just finished Sword Art Online this morning.

It was very pretty and had some interesting concepts, but I felt like I was missing a lot of the story and characterization. I guess a lot of it wasn't covered in the adaptation.

So glad were getting even more K, K - movie announced for 2014

A movie adaptation of GoRA Project and GoHands' K television anime has been green-lit. The announcement was made at the "K-Who is the next-" event on Sunday. The movie is scheduled to be premiere in theaters sometime in 2014. Cast and other specifics will be announced sometime in the future.

Utena 6

This show doesn't just have yuri undertones it's got shota action and a brother complex already! By the end there will be something for EVERYONE! Never expected this show to get so silly but it's great. If all so called Nanami "filler" are this good then I don't mind em at all.

Doki Doki Precure 17

This episode turned out Totally NOT like i was expecting.

Regina continues to be great now that she is in dark mode.

I wanted to post a screen of this episode but it was kinda hard to find one that was intresting and not spoilery so have this artwork instead.

Dokidoki moves in a way this is totally surprising ...

The reveal at the end only managed to free MakoPi from all her obligations, now she can be a legitimate member of Mana harem.

Did any of you guys go to the MCM expo in London? I managed to get a signature and picture with Shinichiro Watanabe and Tales of creator (?) :)

Time to go and watch Kids on the slope.

/XX/

In other panel news via the above link, they confirmed the leaked SAO BD/DVD plans and also revealed they're bringing over those Blue Exorcist bilingual BDs that were also announced for the UK recently, though they'll be in two sets instead of one complete collection.
No BLue Exorcist BD news or movie?
Thanks for reminding me how much I wanted to see that movie! All those Mr. Kimura's settings concept art and image-boards look so good (http://www.ao-ex.com/gallery/index.html)... sad we couldn't see more of that work and additional layouts from Cédric Hérole himself as he closed recently his own blog dedicated to posting such little gems.

This screencap looks like Imaishi's work. Was he already at GAINAX back then?
Wikipedia said:
Imaishi was also known for his "manga" scenes in Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) and FLCL.
Yes! An excuse to post this in here:

電源を入れてください~都市ノォト~ ガイナックス社屋移転記念 part.1
http://buchi21.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-278.html

Last photography in there is Mr. Imaishi at 1998's GAiNAX.
Wait... you 're-twitted' that article from Hugo, Regulus!

Hiroyuki Imaishi entered fresh at GAiNAX just graduated from the 1995 promotion of Tama Art University's 'Department of Moving Images and Performing Arts', as it is called today (http://www.tamabi.ac.jp/english/dept/mp.htm)... what I don't understand is why his creations aren't among the selected works of other famous 'alumni'!

And talking of Mr. Imaishi's His and Her Circumstances contribution, I love this part of the written introductory profile that Ben does:

IMAISHI Hiroyuki 今石洋之 - Pelleas.net | Karisuma Animators said:
He was given an unprecedented 8 credits in KareKano 19: animation director, storyboard, script, key animation, color key, coloring, cutouts, and "gekimator"
http://www.pelleas.net/animators/#4

Stop trying to guilt me into funding GAINAX, dammit!
Well, if you don't like 'NeoGAiNAX' that much, we can say that more than anything buying that BD-BOX you would be funding Aniplex Inc., which is funding TRIGGER's KILL la KILL.

Better? :-D

BluWacky

Did any of you guys go to the MCM expo in London? I managed to get a signature and picture with Shinichiro Watanabe and Tales of creator (?) :)

The Tales guy is Hideo Baba. I'm guessing that the Watanabe interview hosanna posted earlier was done at MCM, too.

I know DigiKerot's still there at the moment. After standing in a queue for about an hour a couple of years ago I've never bothered trying to go again.

Time to go and watch Kids on the slope.

Are they selling it at the Expo or are you just going to watch it online? I'm looking forward to the Bluray release next month, first UK anime release I'll have bought in a long time.

Zettai bouei leviathan - 07

This was the devious tale of 3 female dragon magic users in a desert trying to survive.

Levi-tan dreams sure are convenient .i'm pretty sure that whenever the writter will need a mean to move the plot forward a "dream" will conveniently happen.

We also had our tsundere oujo-sama learning how to live outdoors so it wasn't bad.

By now it's painfully obvious that our cast is kinda stupid ( hey girls , you need lots of water if you plan to travel a desert by foot ! ) i guess the common sense is different in this world than in ours.

Also , i doubt it but they should explain this stuff with the ruins and the invasion ..i'm not getting my hopes up considering this cast but who knows ?

Excellent deduction ! it's unusual to see everyone at least considering that option first but .... why are you gonna pull that spear anyway without paying attention to your surrondings ?

Anyway even with this tiny problem this episode was very entertaining.

The Tales guy is Hideo Baba. I'm guessing that the Watanabe interview hosanna posted earlier was done at MCM, too.

I know DigiKerot's still there at the moment. After standing in a queue for about an hour a couple of years ago I've never bothered trying to go again.

Are they selling it at the Expo or are you just going to watch it online? I'm looking forward to the Bluray release next month, first UK anime release I'll have bought in a long time.

Thats it Hideo Baba. He was so nice to everyone despite there being like 50+ people. Did it take you an hour to get tickets? I always get them online :p

I'm going to watch it online and buy it. They gave us a poster of Kids on the slope and Watanabe signed it. You should go on Sunday's its much less packed. Saturday was apparently insane. My friend told me that it broke a new record in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom