• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

Let it be known that though HBroward is the Minister of Misinformation, he has a good heart and provided me with a great deal on some augment kits on short notice that I needed for another trade.

HBroward

Let it be known that though HBroward is the Minister of Misinformation, he has a good heart and provided me with a great deal on some augment kits on short notice that I needed for another trade.

I hope you get that White crystal, it'll all be worth it to see it on you in pvp!

The throne mount is going for 10 million credits on POT5.

I just bought one for 4.9 million off the gtn on Jedi Covenant, grabbed the mask at 2.6 also. All hail my patron of all things SWTOR, Camlost, of the Makar legacy. I have a sizable debt to work off now, only 10.5 million or so haha. Dailies and crafting, I'll have it in two weeks tops.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
While playing my 28 Jug on Alderaan, I got two purple jug-stat heavy armor pieces within minutes of each other. Obvious hax.

Somnia

How's the F2P launch? I've been busy and haven't logged on in like a week.

I think I have quite a few coins, any suggestions on what to buy?

HBroward

How's the F2P launch? I've been busy and haven't logged on in like a week.

I think I have quite a few coins, any suggestions on what to buy?

If you plan on subscribing buy Cartel packs, if you are staying f2p than buy quality of life improvements. If you get lucky on the packs you can sell the stuff for enough to fund your character for quite a long time. Most likely you'll wind up back here bitching about your shitty luck like the rest of us however. :)

Hagi

So this is surprisingly pretty awesome, rocking a Jedi Knight is really fun. I feel a tad out of my depth at times but i'd attribute that to this being my first MMO.

Opening video is everything i want from the new films, wow.

Somnia

If you plan on subscribing buy Cartel packs, if you are staying f2p than buy quality of life improvements. If you get lucky on the packs you can sell the stuff for enough to fund your character for quite a long time. Most likely you'll wind up back here bitching about your shitty luck like the rest of us however. :)

I'm already subscribed and sticking that way. Will look at Cartel packs =)

Cystm

Rocket Boots should be everyone's first purchase if they haven't already shelled out the credits.

You move @ 110% movement speed on a 30 sec cooldown. Those transition areas where you are forced to be on foot are nothing.

You can't use it in combat, but in PvP you can use it to reinforce a node.

It is the best purchase anyone can make and I hesitate to spread the word, because I do not want it to be nerfed.

Milly79

Rocket Boots should be everyone's first purchase if they haven't already shelled out the credits.

You move @ 110% movement speed on a 30 sec cooldown. Those transition areas where you are forced to be on foot are nothing.

It is the best purchase anyone can make and I hesitate to spread the word, because I do not want it to be nerfed.

Since when can you use rocket boost in pvp?

ShaneB

Yeah.. being able to use that in pvp seems completely broken. lol

So this is surprisingly pretty awesome, rocking a Jedi Knight is really fun. I feel a tad out of my depth at times but i'd attribute that to this being my first MMO.

Opening video is everything i want from the new films, wow.

Make sure to join the GAF Republic guild and enjoy the fun times for new players like you and I :)

Hagi

Make sure to join the GAF Republic guild and enjoy the fun times for new players like you and I :)

As soon as i figure out how to do that i will lol

Trying to do a Heroic 2+ in the Kaleth ruins, man these droids are destroying me.

edit: just clicked what the 2+ is for

Alur

You've used it in say, Civil War, for sure? If so, consider it purchased, I still have a few coins. I thought they weren't usable in PVP at all and I already have sprint, so didn't bother.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Rocket boots in PVP? Since when?

Somnia

You win...

I got a couple mounts, bunch of pets, xp boosts... best item I got was a pink-purple crystal

HBroward

You've used it in say, Civil War, for sure? If so, consider it purchased, I still have a few coins. I thought they weren't usable in PVP at all and I already have sprint, so didn't bother.

It never worked before, if it does it's a new glitch, but I'll test it when we finish raiding.

You win...

I got a couple mounts, bunch of pets, xp boosts... best item I got was a pink-purple crystal

Welcome to the pity party, we will be here awhile. :)

Alur

You win...

Yep. I did get a couple of guns out of my packs that I sold for some dough, but for the most part mine was exactly the same experience. Those EXP boosts I got have gotten my buddy to level extremely quickly. The Ilum/Belsavis 500 for level 47-50 is even quicker thanks to those bad boys.

HBroward

We hit enrage on the tanks in NiM EC, but we have figured out how to cut as many corners as possible now. It doesn't help we are running with some fill-in dps, I blame Yooni.

Cystm

iwrbZRJRr37hd.jpg

Cystm

Exhausted from work, squeezed in a movie with the wife right when I got off because my god we needed some time together and I don't know how I got it in my head that they totally just let rocket boots flop Warzones like that.

Edit: I might also be a little OCD about editing/modifying things in general, particularly when I have made a blantantly obvious error. :p

Alur

Edit: I might also be a little OCD about editing/modifying things in general, particularly when I have made a blantantly obvious error. :p

Ah, it happens. I think all of us regulars here in the SWTOR thread have foot in mouthed at least a few times bare minimum.

In other news, I forgot to mention yesterday I acquired my own Mask of Nihilus. Feels good man...but still haven't equipped. Should I wait til the market comes unflooded and sell it for a king's ransom?! Plus, I thought it was just a mask and I could wear my hood over it, but no. I feel cheated a bit.

HBroward

Ah, it happens. I think all of us regulars here in the SWTOR thread have foot in mouthed at least a few times bare minimum.

In other news, I forgot to mention yesterday I acquired my own Mask of Nihilus. Feels good man...but still haven't equipped. Should I wait til the market comes unflooded and sell it for a king's ransom?! Plus, I thought it was just a mask and I could wear my hood over it, but no. I feel cheated a bit.

I was sad too, the hood from my supreme Inquisitors robe is MIA now. It looked like it was worn under hoods in some of the previews, but I could be wrong.

HBroward

So I just posted this on reddit, and thought I should post it here as well to get your thoughts on the matter. Incoming massive wall of text.

So basically as it stands now, if you are F2P you can purchase a ton of quality of life improvements with Cartel Coins. The only problem is, the more a F2P user spends on unlocks, the less incentive they have to sub. Everything you have payed for is rendered moot at that point. It's actually almost a disincentive to subscribe, as they feel the money spent was "wasted." I propose a small change to the system. Once a F2P user subscribes, refund a percentage of the Cartel Coins spent on the quality of life improvements that are included in the sub. I feel like this small change would provide a much higher conversion rate from free user to subscriber. As it is, people feel like they threw away any money spent prior to subscribing. The only issue is the status of the unlocks once they unsubscribe. Perhaps you could have the choice to be refunded some of the coins spent, on the condition you lose those unlocks once unsubscribed again. That way, people who enjoy the game and become subscribers aren't punished for trying the game out and unlocking things early, while having an incentive to remain a subscriber. I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on this.

Edit: I'll hop on and try to color match the Mask in a couple minutes.

Won

That wall isn't massive at all!

I don't think EA believes that there is a large enough group of people that actual switch from heavy F2P spending to subscribing to put effort into such a system. With they way things are set up at the moment you either sub around level 10 or you don't and stay F2P.

Miletius

I don't think EA believes that there is a large enough group of people that actual switch from heavy F2P spending to subscribing to put effort into such a system. With they way things are set up at the moment you either sub around level 10 or you don't and stay F2P.

I think that's what they are going for too -- they are looking to convert people at either the 10 range or the 50 range, depending on QoL or just access to new content. The quality of life features are for those that will not sub at endgame, and the rest of the stuff is for subscribers to spend money on -- and the occasional F2P player. That's why I don't think it's a long term solution.

I'm this close to resubbing for the extra bars alone, taking my coins, and spending them on bars next month when my sub runs out. I know that most classes can be played with 2 bars, but having had access to 4 before makes it painful to be stuck to two, especially since you can't fill up extra bars and have them toggle with Shift + Arrow key. I'm enjoying being back though.

Alur

Yeah I'm with you on this. I think they are counting on keeping the subs they have at like a 60-75% rate, and maybe adding a few more in that want to hit endgame after leveling. Outside of that, though their model implies they want people to sub and pushes them to that, I don't actually think they believe that is going to happen often.

Alur

I want that mask, but no thanks for that price lol

I'm shocked they are that cheap. The GTN is flooded with them atm though, I assume they'll go back up to 3 or 4 million at least once people stop packing Cartel Packs like crazy. We should be nearing the window where everyone's stuff is unlocked for trade from the first big rush.

HBroward

Someone just put a Mask on GTN for 1.5 million. Trevail cries on the inside.

I have no regrets. I may have overspent by 2 million combined on the throne and mask, but it's not THAT much wasted. I can make that back in a couple days. Now when the throne and mask both go for 500k, then I will be off doing my slave labor to pay my loans while softly crying.

Alur

I have no regrets. I may have overspent by 2 million combined on the throne and mask, but it's not THAT much wasted. I can make that back in a couple days. Now when the throne and mask both go for 500k, then I will be off doing my slave labor to pay my loans while softly crying.

I just got the throne about an hour ago for 3 million from a guy announcing it in general chat, he put it up on GTN and I saw it first I guess. In the end I'll probably even have gotten fleeced at the rate things are going...at least until the items dry up and it shoots back up.

EDIT: FYI already guilty about the purchase lol, most money I ever had, now I'm broke and I'm not even sure it was worth it.

HBroward

NO REGRETS! Honestly I'm enjoying pvping with the mask and lightsaber, and the Throne makes runbacks more satisfying. I'm always in debt or broke in the game, so it's no change of pace for me haha.

So I just posted this on reddit, and thought I should post it here as well to get your thoughts on the matter. Incoming massive wall of text.

So basically as it stands now, if you are F2P you can purchase a ton of quality of life improvements with Cartel Coins. The only problem is, the more a F2P user spends on unlocks, the less incentive they have to sub. Everything you have payed for is rendered moot at that point. It's actually almost a disincentive to subscribe, as they feel the money spent was "wasted." I propose a small change to the system. Once a F2P user subscribes, refund a percentage of the Cartel Coins spent on the quality of life improvements that are included in the sub. I feel like this small change would provide a much higher conversion rate from free user to subscriber. As it is, people feel like they threw away any money spent prior to subscribing. The only issue is the status of the unlocks once they unsubscribe. Perhaps you could have the choice to be refunded some of the coins spent, on the condition you lose those unlocks once unsubscribed again. That way, people who enjoy the game and become subscribers aren't punished for trying the game out and unlocking things early, while having an incentive to remain a subscriber. I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on this.

Edit: I'll hop on and try to color match the Mask in a couple minutes.

Rather they try to move away from pushing subscriptions. If the cartel shop works out well, they just might see how much more they can make going that route instead of focus on subs. They are still going to have issues with retention, this f2p launch is likely going to get them a bunch of new subs but how long will that last? I don't believe it will work long term and they are going to go back to a decline and hopefully see that they can focus on microtransactions instead of the current system which just is constantly trying to goad you in subbing.

Hagi

So against my best interest i decided to Sub today after i got my Jedi Sentinel to lvl 12. I'm enjoying it so much i just thought what the hell. Already feeling the benefits. Sprint <3

Spent my cartel points on one of those boxes with rare stuff in it. Got a speeder, a flying pet and some other stuff. Activated the pet fell off the map and when i revived the pet was gone lol gutted.

Question do i have to be on a US server to join the gaf guild? both my characters are on Euro servers.

Top Bottom