• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Friend of mine has same issue, after a patch the game wouldn't work, hes tried reinstalling several times and it always fails. Only way he can get the game to work is to bring a portable drive over, copy all my game files and basically overwrite his and then the patcher works. But when a new game patch comes out, it does this all over again. Hes frustrated to the least, the game launcher is apparently a piece of crap.

H3xum

Friend of mine has same issue, after a patch the game wouldn't work, hes tried reinstalling several times and it always fails. Only way he can get the game to work is to bring a portable drive over, copy all my game files and basically overwrite his and then the patcher works. But when a new game patch comes out, it does this all over again. Hes frustrated to the least, the game launcher is apparently a piece of crap.

I can't even get an initial install. I wonder if I copy it all to a portal HD and then copy it locally if running that will work.

Will give it a try

What a piece

Heysoos

http://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw/status/203130565019439104
iblOz6a6o5Q6Y4.png

Francois424

Neo Member
I can't even get an initial install. I wonder if I copy it all to a portal HD and then copy it locally if running that will work.

Will give it a try

What a piece

I might be suggesting something you already did...

Do a cleanup of everything SWTOR (ie: delete the folder, edit registry if you know how)
Then try running the install from your disk. There migh be corrupted files linguering around and messing with the normal install process.
[EDIT] Also when trying the re-install, try a different folder (ie: such as SWTOR2); it might make a difference if the bug isnt Registry-caused.

Other than that, I don't really know.
Good luck

H3xum

I might be suggesting something you already did...

Do a cleanup of everything SWTOR (ie: delete the folder, edit registry if you know how)
Then try running the install from your disk. There migh be corrupted files linguering around and messing with the normal install process.

Other than that, I don't really know.
Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion, I unfortunately already went through that :(

Milly79

So from the dev tracker there will be a daily attached to the group finder tool and its going to give black hole coms

That's cool, wonder how many it gives. It sucks the BH gear is relatively useless and doesn't provide a decent main stat upgrade for my toons. In the end, I understand why they made it so END heavy, as the EC bosses hit hard.

I really do wish SM EC would drop one piece per boss of higher BH gear instead of so much Rakata and possibly drop a campaign at the end.

The grind as it stands, is too long. Only being able to do it once a week + HM (and that's friggen tough) is unreasonable (in my eyes) at best.

Emitan

Yeah, going through some shit and people sub to MMOs when they need to escape, right?

The game isn't great but I love Star Wars and need something easy enough to play to take my mind off things.

Zafir

Sigh. Diablo 3 really put the final nail in the coffin for populations on some servers. My server had around 100-150 people at peak time with alright warzone queue times most of the day prior to tuesday. Now it's around 50-70, with the queue just dying outside of peak time.

Why in the world are they taking so long for cross server. :/

Sigh. Diablo 3 really put the final nail in the coffin for populations on some servers. My server had around 100-150 people at peak time with alright warzone queue times most of the day prior to tuesday. Now it's around 50-70, with the queue just dying outside of peak time.

They have a long list of things they need to work on that is all going to take time. Think right now a priority for them will be getting the transfers and merge tech done with how flooded the forum is with it. Reids twitter was nothing but comments about transfers and merges last week. They got cross server stuff to do, the content updates, the ranked pvp stuff, and now they are likely shifting resources to take care of all these screaming for transfer/mergers.

I'm on break from the game mostly outside of raid night for the guild till 1.3 hits probably. Catching up on other games and back to EVE for now.

Zafir

They have a long list of things they need to work on that is all going to take time. Think right now a priority for them will be getting the transfers and merge tech done with how flooded the forum is with it. Reids twitter was nothing but comments about transfers and merges last week. They got cross server stuff to do, the content updates, the ranked pvp stuff, and now they are likely shifting resources to take care of all these screaming for transfer/mergers.

I'm on break from the game mostly outside of raid night for the guild till 1.3 hits probably. Catching up on other games and back to EVE for now.
I hate to say it, but it's getting to the point it's a little too late. While some people are fine rerolling on the most populated server for their region(Aka Fatman or ToFN), not everyone wants to have to reroll and instead will just quit, making the situation worse.

I hate to say it, but it's getting to the point it's a little too late. While some people are fine rerolling on the most populated server for their region(Aka Fatman or ToFN), not everyone wants to have to reroll and instead will just quit, making the situation worse.

Well that is the point of getting transfers working, so people don't have to reroll. They need to make it priority. At the same time they need to roll out new content and features to get people to stay or come back.

Enosh

I really need to play more, had to vendor my cent, tionese and columi gear to get some money for repair bills

pretty much only log in for raids now, which aren't doing so great either due to people not showing up because of diablo

Francois424

Neo Member

Yeah it's really starting to show on MindTrick as well. Imperial is still over what I like to call "Critical Mass" (ie: above 125 on sunday evenings, where it tends to be most busy), but Republic keeps dropping and lucky to get 60. Stuff is taking forever to sell on the auction and the prices are going down (from lack of demand mostly). To note that back in mid-march, there was around 200 on imp and 135 on Pub on that same Sunday evening.

Oh well, when there aren't enough ppl to do anything, I contribute to the problem by playing my Diablo III toon.
Hopefully we can get more 200+ population after the supposed server transfer (but I am doubtfull).

Wait and See I guess !

Milly79

Meh, underwhelming, but it's expected at this point. Can't wait till 1.4 where we get a new ops, etc. I'm hoping 1.3 will at least have a new FP.

Also, are they even considering mergers? In that interview it didn't hint in the slightest they are even thinking about it. "Open to ideas" doesn't sound good. :(

Meh, underwhelming, but it's expected at this point. Can't wait till 1.4 where we get a new ops, etc. I'm hoping 1.3 will at least have a new FP.

Also, are they even considering mergers? In that interview it didn't hint in the slightest they are even thinking about it. "Open to ideas" doesn't sound good. :(

If there was a new FP I would have imagined they would have shown something or mentioned it. From the interview, it sounds like all 1.3 is new features and no actual content.... and 1.4 from last they said will take longer than 1.3 to come out. 1.3 was supposed to have the new Op and FP, and other new content, but it sounds like that is being pushed back to 1.4 now?

They haven't acknowledged doing mergers, I think they are afraid of even saying it because of how taboo the concept is with the MMO crowd and it meaning the game is "dying". They just keep talking about server transfers.

If it's coming real soon I guess it's fine, it's only been 5 weeks since 1.2, but hopefully 1.3 does not take a whole lot more time, or there is some extra stuff in it yet not revealed.

Yeah it's really starting to show on MindTrick as well. Imperial is still over what I like to call "Critical Mass" (ie: above 125 on sunday evenings, where it tends to be most busy), but Republic keeps dropping and lucky to get 60. Stuff is taking forever to sell on the auction and the prices are going down (from lack of demand mostly). To note that back in mid-march, there was around 200 on imp and 135 on Pub on that same Sunday evening.

Oh well, when there aren't enough ppl to do anything, I contribute to the problem by playing my Diablo III toon.
Hopefully we can get more 200+ population after the supposed server transfer (but I am doubtfull).

Wait and See I guess !

Biggest problem with server transfers that don't' have a huge impact is largey because of guilds. Players in guilds don't want to transfer unless the whole guild moves as well, which often is really hard to do. So players don't move and you have large amount of the population who doesn't transfer. I wouldn't mind getting off my server, but I'm invested heavily with the Guild I play with as they are friends IRL. So transfers are useless to me and doubt many people are going to transfer to my server.

Francois424

Neo Member
Biggest problem with server transfers that don't' have a huge impact is largey because of guilds. Players in guilds don't want to transfer unless the whole guild moves as well, which often is really hard to do. So players don't move and you have large amount of the population who doesn't transfer. I wouldn't mind getting off my server, but I'm invested heavily with the Guild I play with as they are friends IRL. So transfers are useless to me and doubt many people are going to transfer to my server.

Yeah I know, Server Merger is the only real solution to this problem.

UltraMav

My server was already on the way out but it seems D3 has finished the job. Hoping against hope that people will be back...

Zafir

Thats pretty much the issue, server transfers won't really solve the problem. It may help very slightly, but it won't fix things. Server merges are pretty much needed at this stage.

It's all very well having a LFG tool, but if there's no one around on the server to use it, it's rather pointless.

Lilsnubby

The should seed the low pop worlds with Legendary item drops and crafting matrials so that there's an advantage to having the whole world to yourself!

Francois424

Neo Member
The should seed the low pop worlds with Legendary item drops and crafting matrials so that there's an advantage to having the whole world to yourself!

Actually, if I could be independant of the auction house like it was at first (ie: Slicing until you got to the dailies) to make money for crafting along the way, and that would be reasonably fast, like Slicing was at launch, then it would make it far more viable for someone with my playstyle to stay on low-pop worlds. Combine that with a cross-server LFG tool for Heroics / Dailies / Wargames, and you really don't care if you're on a Low-pop world anymore.

But as long as you are dependant on GTN in order to get decent money pre-50, and you cant do any end-game stuff... even if you seed it with 25x the Legendary drops, it just wont work Oo

No release date for 1.3 and it doesn't sound like theres any new actual content in the update?
In the podcast they mentioned that this is more of a features patch than actual content so I wasn't all that surprised by what they showed.

Still wish they do server merging near the launch of 1.3. A man can dream.

In the podcast they mentioned that this is more of a features patch than actual content so I wasn't all that surprised by what they showed.

Still wish they do server merging near the launch of 1.3. A man can dream.

They really need to do something, the updates should be something that brings players back, and don't see 1.3 bringing back many players. They really need to roll out some stuff in between these updates. Toss some new bones out there here and there as well as events for players to have a reason and log on. If no new meat comes out till 1.4 which is hitting when? 3 months? They said 1.3 was gonna be coming out quick while 1.4 was going to take more time. It's going to be almost 2 months at this rate with the update not even on PTS, so how long more then till 1.4?

They seem so set on the stupid transfers as the miracle cure when it's not going to do shit. Server transfers has never helped countless other MMOs. It's helpful to those players who want to bail on their server, but for the overall game they need to stop dicking around the issue and get to doing mergers.

They really need to do something, the updates should be something that brings players back, and don't see 1.3 bringing back many players. They really need to roll out some stuff in between these updates. Toss some new bones out there here and there as well as events for players to have a reason and log on. If no new meat comes out till 1.4 which is hitting when? 3 months? They said 1.3 was gonna be coming out quick while 1.4 was going to take more time. It's going to be almost 2 months at this rate with the update not even on PTS, so how long more then till 1.4?

They seem so set on the stupid transfers as the miracle cure when it's not going to do shit. Server transfers has never helped countless other MMOs. It's helpful to those players who want to bail on their server, but for the overall game they need to stop dicking around the issue and get to doing mergers.
Yeah they should have put some content into this patch to go alongside the LFG system and the rest. This reminds me of the Voice Chat patch in World of Warcraft. I mean they're features that people have wanted for a long time, but as you said people need things to do as well.

Weren't Ranked Warzones also supposed to be out before 1.3? I wonder if those plans changed until they get cross-server stuff working.

CzarTim

BW shot themselves in the foot. Sever transfers / LFG / cross-server queues should have been priority number one out of the gate, but they got cocky with their initial numbers and didn't think six months out. Legacy could and should have waited.

Setre

Alright guys, I know TOR is dying but I’ve been thinking of buying it and giving it a go. The only other MMO I’ve played was Star Wars: Galaxies and I absolutely loved it. What I mostly did in Galaxies was PVP and was wondering if it’s any fun in TOR? Might also be interested in joining one of the RP serves for shits and giggles.

Just looking for some general impressions about the overall gameplay and PVP. Thanks guys and gals.

CzarTim

Alright guys, I know TOR is dying but I’ve been thinking of buying it and giving it a go. The only other MMO I’ve played was Star Wars: Galaxies and I absolutely loved it. What I mostly did in Galaxies was PVP and was wondering if it’s any fun in TOR? Might also be interested in joining one of the RP serves for shits and giggles.

Just looking for some general impressions about the overall gameplay and PVP. Thanks guys and gals.

PVP is awesome, but it's all instanced (no world PVP right now). PVP is all I do at this point, and it's the only reason I log in. Great fun.

Honestly, this game is a great mmo as long as you're on a high population server.

Heysoos

The thing is, there's a really healthy population. The problem is they're spread WAY too thin among WAY TOO MANY SERVERS. :/

That said, PVP is fun as hell, it's really all I do now besides the occasional Operations run.

PVP is really fun but you won't find any World PvP here unless it's an event run by a server community. All of the PvP action currently takes place in Warzones (instanced PvP maps).

When picking a server, do what CzarTim said and pick a high populated server.

falastini

I stopped playing after the free month, but I had intentions on coming back in a few months. I kept tabs on the game throughout the months, but grew more and more disinterested with the state of the game. The "big" patch finally came and added nothing I cared about outside of customizable UI. I tried the game out a bit during the "free week" promotion, and I don't have the interest to resub anymore... just too many issues there.

I don't know why they thought the Legacy system was such a priority, but left the LFG system as it was. Finding a group to run flashpoints was annoying enough when there was actually people playing the game, imagine how it is now with the empty servers. They didn't have to have to implement a fully auto-LFG system right away, but they needed to band-aid that shit they went into release with. Just something as simple as adding a few more filters for the current LFG tool and placing in a global LFG chat when you flagged. It would have made it a lot easier to bear then standing on your empty capital ship hoping somebody is running a flashpoint.

And merge servers ffs. I don't care it it's bad PR. Losing the rest of your player base is even worse.

Heysoos

I hate that they keep putting it in the backburner and are putting all their marbles in the server transfers bucket. That isn't going to fix anything.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The thing is, there's a really healthy population. The problem is they're spread WAY too thin among WAY TOO MANY SERVERS. :/

That said, PVP is fun as hell, it's really all I do now besides the occasional Operations run.

Yeah, I was going to say pretty much this. There are still a lot of people playing compared to other MMOs not named WoW but there are way too many servers.

Pick a high pop server and you'll be fine.

Just pick a good server. There several servers with very healthy populations, problem really is that there is too many servers and people stuck since launch on these servers which have become ghost towns. Lot of folks are just rerolling on the popular servers or waiting for transfers/mergers.

H3xum

Well, another evening of failed attempts to install. I contacted support to no avail 3 days ago. I've had nothing but problems with this game and I don't get it. Couldn't download it, thats when I ran into the common "repair" error, can't install it from disc, and can't get any help from the worthless support.

Bleh

I'm out. What a shame.

/vent

Oh and was wrong about them not acknowledging mergers. Erickson in an interview last month did mention mergers as something that will absolutely help, but that they want to first do transfers. Guess there is a little hope that they are at least working on server merge tech or whatever they need.

Well, another evening of failed attempts to install. I contacted support to no avail 3 days ago. I've had nothing but problems with this game and I don't get it. Couldn't download it, thats when I ran into the common "repair" error, can't install it from disc, and can't get any help from the worthless support.

Bleh

I'm out. What a shame.

/vent

Friend who had the same issue you've been having actually fixed it, by changing his ram. Yea I know it sounds crazy but it's what worked for him after weeks of problems. I wouldn't recommend you bothering with it though.

Top Bottom