• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Dunlop

No release date for 1.3 and it doesn't sound like theres any new actual content in the update?

The patch is to give features that pretty much every MMO in the last 4 years had by default. With the budget behind the game I would love to know why they chose an unfinished engine which is turning out to be their downfall.

I cannot stress how much I hate the Hero engine and would not even look at another game that uses it

Milly79

Looks like testing the waters for an expansion. Personally, the content looks too thin for me to purchase anything other than the $9.99 bundle deal if I were playing at the time.

If this is selling incremental patches for dough then I think somebody better get their flame shield on because it's gonna be a rough ride.

Was there any "better" benefits in the other price points? I saw none, but removed material from the 9.99.

Miletius

Was there any "better" benefits in the other price points? I saw none, but removed material from the 9.99.

No, I don't think so. Basically it started with the bonanza bundle at an amazing price point. Then it removed features and upped the price.

It's probably to see at what price point would certain features really sell. So, the $ 9.99 is the base with everything included, and then they remove features and up the price to see what people will buy at what point. You then use those metrics to determine what you need to work on to get enough people to buy at the price point you want to sell at.

You can tell because later on there are variations of bundles with different head start times, char slots, and features. So they are tweaking the variables to see what is really interesting to the player base.

FLEABttn

Banned
An error occurred during a connection to docs.google.com.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

Can someone please paste what that survey actually says?

Cystm

Survey Says:

cvTFF.gif

Miletius

No imgur behind a firewall. Still can't read that.

It's 14 pages long, so I'll just give you the first page and then a summary of the extra pages.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Makeb Mission introduces an explosive new conflict threatening the future of the galaxy. The Hutt Empire has risen from the underworld to challenge the Republic and Empire for control the galaxy. unleashing never-before­seen droids and monstrous battle Sith stations to serve as powerful weapons of destruction. As a player, you will be forced to take a side in this sudden uprising by The Hutt Empire. ls this a manifestation of an isolated power play or is it
the first move in a bigger plot to take over control of the galaxy? Join the battle to thwart the Hutt aggression and unravel the Mystery of Makeb. an alien world with invaluable natural resources that Could shift the balance of power in the galaxy. Experience this new story-driven adventure with the additional features below. The next chapter in your Star Wars saga begins now!

Available for physical or digital purchase

Increased level cap. 5 additional levels of gameplay

New planet Makel: - Explore Makeb. as the Republic and Sith Empire fight tor control over this alien planet with invaluable natural resources.

First-ever Legacy Species: The Cathar. Play as the deadly, powerful, and efiicient Cathar-the first-ever species obtained exclusively through the Legacy System.

Luke Skywalkeŕs Speeder from the Ciassic Star Wars movies. This is a 2-seat Speeder capable of carrying two players.

Kowakian Monkey Lizard similar to Salacious B. Crumb from the classic Star Wars movies

Ewok companion from the classic Star Wars movies

Improved Crafting System Acquire new recipes. weapons and armor. and experience an all-new crafting system with additional levels to hone your Skills.

Exclusive vanity items (specia character particle effects, unique lightsaber color, etc)

3 additional character slots

90 days of additional game time at no charge

A 10 day head start in the new game content

Price: 9.99

How likely are you to purchase this expansion pack?

It then goes on to remove/add features and then ask you if you'd buy this, in groups of 3. For 14 pages this continues, they tweak the price and the features (example, 3 levels instead of 5, no ewok, ect, ect...).

So that is perhaps the survey given out to focus groups recently?

I mean the price isn't bad since it includes 3 months of game time..... but meh they should just be giving it to players for free as part of theirs subs. But seeing the way all of it is worded, it seems to just be info gathering.

Seems to confirm though the Cathar are going to be made playable.

If anyone does this survey and doesn't choose the $9.99 package..... all the other packages are crap and give you less for your money pretty much. The first page $9.95 package is the obvious best one, especially because of the 90 days of game time. Anyone doing the survey should put "NO" for everything but that first page package.

Miletius

So that is perhaps the survey given out to focus groups recently?

I mean the price isn't bad since it includes 3 months of game time..... but meh they should just be giving it to players for free as part of theirs subs. But seeing the way all of it is worded, it seems to just be info gathering.

Seems to confirm though the Cathar are going to be made playable.

This is just the bonanza bundle. Most of the following pages have less content and are sold at a higher price point. I'm still not 100 percent sure what to think about this, mostly because the content reads a lot like a amalgamation of the leaked future patch notes. It's a bit premature to say what their motives are for releasing this survey, however, so I'll hold off judgement for now.

So far apparently Marcel Hatam, the German CM, has been confirmed to be part of the layoffs.

I got that from the SWTOR forums. Guess someone saw it on his twitter page.

Kyari

I really feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care about new Legacy content. I want stuff for my main character to do, not an excuse to roll an alt. Am I alone in this?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
To be honest, all my friends and I would still be playing this game if it had one thing: solid ranked PvP. Ranked anything keeps people logging in week in and week out, and if you pair that with solid MMO features like dual spec, LFR, LFG, AND THEN legacy; you've got a long term formula for keeping people attached. The game launched missing all these features with promises of "they're coming, they're coming," but half of them have simply disappeared off the radar. Legacy on it's own does not keep me playing, and it seems like BW banked it all on legacy.

If the only solution now is, "reroll on fatman;" I'll pass. I spent over 200 hours levelling two 50s, not going to do that again.

P.S. Jamews if you read this thread send me your diablo tag nerd!!! you never log onto steam

That first $10 bundle is a ridiculous value, if they went with something like that obviously everyone would buy it (3 months for 10 bucks PLUS all the content?) But then they're basically cutting off their $15/month entirely in favor of a lot less money. There's no way that goes live.

I don't even know why they put it in the survey, it seems to me like it would poison the well for all the other bundle options which look 100x less attractive. Like the next possible bundle they show which costs $30 with no gametime and a lot less features?

This is just the bonanza bundle.
What's a bonanza bundle, is that marketing speak for "haha, look at this ludicrously amazing deal, suckers!"

Doubt the 10 buck bundle would happen, but something similar but a little pricier would still be a decent deal. But segmenting the userbase is not a good thing if your going to hold back group content from folks. What do subscribers who don't buy these packs get? No new content for them? So why are they paying a sub?

CzarTim

Doubt the 10 buck bundle would happen, but something similar but a little pricier would still be a decent deal. But segmenting the userbase is not a good thing if your going to hold back group content from folks. What do subscribers who don't buy these packs get? No new content for them? So why are they paying a sub?
No different than a normal expansion. I think the $10 model is really interesting, but I bet the 3 months for free thing is what will change.

Francois424

Neo Member
Yeah 10 bucks for 3 months of playtime AND 3 more character slots ? That's a win for me; regardless of the other junk that's in there (Ewok companion? what's next, Jar jar Binks to replace the ship's droid ?).

- The only species I am remotely interested in playing is Togruta (no surprise there, seeing my avatar), but it isn't there. Maybe more exotic, weird one if they ever add that.

- 5 more levels... Dunno what to think about that really. As FFXI pointed out over the years (until recently that is) Content > Levels, as we were stuck at 75 for like 5 years; but we had so much stuff to go thru.

Still better than nothing, especially with that price tag. They'd keep me as a player for 3 more months with that for sure. Hopefully this isn't just kind of "Joke".
Always found it bad taste when game companies do that, heh.

What do subscribers who don't buy these packs get? No new content for them? So why are they paying a sub?

This really rubs me as "F2P" packs, where you get to play what you pay for. And I hope I am wrong with that tought.

No different than a normal expansion. I think the $10 model is really interesting, but I bet the 3 months for free thing is what will change.

They still need to provide a reason for people to pay a sub with new features/content. Most expansions are big in nature to get what you pay for, but a whole bunch of little content packs are just going to hurt by segmenting the population too much.

Why would anyone not buy it? $10 for 3 month of subscription is a bargain even without any additional content, why would you not buy it and continue to pay your $15 a month subscription?

This really rubs me as "F2P" packs, where you get to play what you pay for. And I hope I am wrong with that tought.

Well perhaps they should do it though. Still sell the actual game, but make it not require subs anymore, and sell content packs like this. It would fix the population problems at least :p

Heck maybe the whole pricing thing is just being tossed in there to see what people are willing to pay and whether maybe going F2P would be for the best.

Tarazet

Left - Tank
Mid - Is supposedly best for PvP. More melee than the right.
Right - PvE, I prefer it for PvP as well

I play an Assassin, and the Darkness (left) tree is by far the preferred spec. It has lots of AOE and utility, ridiculous self-healing, Force Pull, and with 10 points in Madness (right tree) can do lots of damage as well. Every time I've tried to switch to Deception or Madness I've felt far less useful and effective, even though in PvP I run in mainly DPS gear.

Miletius

What's a bonanza bundle, is that marketing speak for "haha, look at this ludicrously amazing deal, suckers!"

Well, if you look at it from the context of taking the survey in a closed room with a focus group, then the first one question is the lead into the remainder of the questions. It says:

1) Here's all the stuff we might do;
2) Here's the lowest possible value we could ever see ourselves asking;
3) Isn't this great?

It's basically a question to establish what they are asking about and to weed out a group of people who wouldn't honestly answer the survey -- if you say "no" to this deal then it's unlikely that you'd be back to playing SWToR ever.

From there, the questions add and remove features and change the price to see what they can realistically charge people for said content. Assuming they are honest actors, then people rationally choose which features appeal to them at what price. For example, there's the exact same feature-set listed later on in the survey but at $ 39.99. They ask: would you be willing to pay $ 40.00 for what we asked you to pay $ 9.99 for earlier? If you are comparing the 2, then the answer would be hell no, but that's not the question, exactly. The question is: if you were given this description and this feature-set, would you pay $ 40.00. That's also why they group them up in sets of 3, so you can compare 3 similar sets and make a decision on which is most attractive.

Somnia

RIFT did something similar to this if I remember right, I think it was like $10 and you got bonus material in game.

Errr... thinking about an expansion when the core game has so little content... Bad decision.

The listed info is pretty small for an expansion, this is more like a dlc/content pack. I agree it's bad idea, but if they give game time along with it, then it's not that bad.

UltraMav

Wow... so I decided to finish off my datacrons finally, and waited patiently for the stupid Tatooine balloon ride, only to decide I wanted my companion to join me aboard the balloon and be promptly spawned on the ground after summoning them. So pissed off.

Time to take a break.

CzarTim

Stephen Reid was apparently a casualty of the layoffs too.

Wow, that really surprises me. I liked him, hope he lands on his feet soon.

Wow... so I decided to finish off my datacrons finally, and waited patiently for the stupid Tatooine balloon ride, only to decide I wanted my companion to join me aboard the balloon and be promptly spawned on the ground after summoning them. So pissed off.

Time to take a break.
Have a class with force push get you onto the sandcrawler. That's what I did.

Cystm

Stephen Reid was apparently a casualty of the layoffs too.

Out of all the people they have had at their events, this was the only guy that had any charm. James Ohlen is a souless robot compared to Reid.

But, that said, their PR department as a whole makes Ohlen look like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Top Bottom