• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Tendo

I don't really know what to do with my cartel points. I got 1000 for resubbing. I spent 390 on an account wide inventory unlock but I'm not sure what to do with the rest.

The cartel packs - what do I usually get with those? Is there a list somewhere? I like noncombat pets - anything cool I may get? Anything I should save them for?

vilmer_

Just need two more mods and I'll finally be finished min/maxing my pvp gear on my guardian. Looking at 1400+ power and 1700+ strength yay!

Thinking of picking up the SWTOR Encyclopedia from Amazon. Is it worth it?

It's great book, has lot of background details and fluff, only warning I will give is that it does basically have spoilers for the entire 8 class stories so watch what parts you read. For the price on amazon, it's well worth it.

UltraMav

Cool, I just ordered. Fortunately I have no life and have 7 stories completed already, and will be finishing my JK shortly as the grand finale, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about spoilers.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Tendo

Does no one use the group finder tool? I've been in queue for ages for black talon. Does no one do instances anymore? :(

Giolon

Does no one use the group finder tool? I've been in queue for ages for black talon. Does no one do instances anymore? :(

They do but there's a critical shortage of Tanks at basically all levels, and a moderate to severe shortage of Healers, depending on your level range and specific server.

A lot of people do skip out on the early Flashpoints though b/c they've seen them and leveling is so damn fast already.

Tendo

They do but there's a critical shortage of Tanks at basically all levels, and a moderate to severe shortage of Healers, depending on your level range and specific server.

A lot of people do skip out on the early Flashpoints though b/c they've seen them and leveling is so damn fast already.

Total bummer :( I like instances. I think that makes me sick.

Alur

Total bummer :( I like instances. I think that makes me sick.

They are just too long when it comes to bang for your buck comparison at low levels IMO. You get in with the new folks who want to watch the scenes instead of hurry it up and that's frustrating as well.

It is also Thanksgiving Day, so that's not helping either.

Vyroxis

Banned
Went to update my account today, as I haven't played in a month or so. Couldn't remember my password to save my own life. Said to hell with it, went to change it. Got that done, and when I try to log in it asks me the ONE security question there is no chance in hell I can remember the answer to. And of course, there is no option for a different question. I can understand them wanting good security, but christ. At least give me a three strikes rule or something.

Trigger

Went to update my account today, as I haven't played in a month or so. Couldn't remember my password to save my own life. Said to hell with it, went to change it. Got that done, and when I try to log in it asks me the ONE security question there is no chance in hell I can remember the answer to. And of course, there is no option for a different question. I can understand them wanting good security, but christ. At least give me a three strikes rule or something.

I just called customer service. They had me on hold for fucking ever, but otherwise it was painless.

Alur

Ok, this is gonna be noobish, so bear with me.

I created the merc alt I spoke about earlier, and of course upon creation they automatically show your legacy name when you log in; (IE: Yooni Gretzky).

Normally I would just head into preferences, then social tab, then "HIDE LEGACY NAME" (along with show as title, and show legacy). The whole legacy subheading isn't even under the social tab in preferences any more. I can't find it anywhere.

Have I somehow caught a F2P restriction on my account (this is missing on every character, including Qruul), or am I a mouthbreathing idiot who missed that they changed the location of said legacy hiding/showing options?

ShaneB

It's in the character info. The Pull down tab with all the titles. At the bottom you see the legacy options of showing/hiding.

Not noobish. :p Yesterday I found out that I could select the levels I wanted for crew skill missions.

Alur

It's in the character info. The Pull down tab with all the titles. At the bottom you see the legacy options of showing/hiding.

Not noobish. :p Yesterday I found out that I could select the levels I wanted for crew skill missions.

So it was moved. I get the new location, but why move it?

Wallach

Think I'm going to play this a bit tonight to check out some of the new content. Do you guys know if all the per-character Legacy upgrades stay unlocked from before if I'm no longer subbed?

Ashodin

Think I'm going to play this a bit tonight to check out some of the new content. Do you guys know if all the per-character Legacy upgrades stay unlocked from before if I'm no longer subbed?
I actually logged in to find out that I still had my characters from motherfucking beta!

Wallach

A Sentinel? Get out Republic scum.

I want to play my Juggernaut but I lost most of my names in the last server consolidation and I can't think of a new one for him yet.

Was poking around on my PT and they definitely have cleaned up the performance of the game. Also they finally upgraded the shadows! Look nice now, I used to have them turned down just to not have to look at them.

Alur

I want to play my Juggernaut but I lost most of my names in the last server consolidation and I can't think of a new one for him yet.

Was poking around on my PT and they definitely have cleaned up the performance of the game. Also they finally upgraded the shadows! Look nice now, I used to have them turned down just to not have to look at them.

For all their attempts to sabotage themselves in the PR department, they have definitely done a lot for the game over the months that mostly gets brushed over for said PR gaffes.

I know your feeling on the names. I lost several in the first merger (including my main and legacy name), and then the remaining solo name I hadn't lost the first time in the second merger. I actually like my respelling of my main's name better, though, surprisingly. The last name standing that I lost in the second merger was tied to my original legacy name, so it wasn't that bad either. I guess I'm easy to please in that regard.

Wallach

For all their attempts to sabotage themselves in the PR department, they have definitely done a lot for the game over the months that mostly gets brushed over for said PR gaffes.

I know your feeling on the names. I lost several in the first merger (including my main and legacy name), and then the remaining solo name I hadn't lost the first time in the second merger. I actually like my respelling of my main's name better, though, surprisingly. The last name standing that I lost in the second merger was tied to my original legacy name, so it wasn't that bad either. I guess I'm easy to please in that regard.

It's not a huge matter to me even though I lost my GAF name, since I got to keep a couple of my favorites. I'm sure a lot of people got it much worse, I just can't think of a good one for my Juggernaut specifically and he's the one I was playing the most when I last played, along with my Sniper. Seeing all my characters consolidated on one server made me realize that this game somehow managed to get me to level a lot more characters than any other MMO. I have two 50s and two 43s now; most games I can hardly stomach making a second character at all, and the only other one I have more than one character in is GW2 (thanks largely to crafting giving experience in that game).

Unfortunately I really didn't get to play anything today since my brother had serious computer issues and I'm the only guy in the family remotely capable of solving that kind of stuff. Frustrating since I've really had the itch for a few matches of Huttball recently... everything I've played since SWTOR I've compared to Huttball on the instanced-PvP side of things and nothing really even comes close. New Huttball arenas EA, double time!

I did log in a few minutes ago to poke around and look at all the specifics of the new F2P stuff but without being able to log into my Juggernaut I can't really tell if per-character Legacy unlocks from before the transition stuck. On the other hand, I saw a guy floating on a fucking throne as a mount and I almost subscribed on reaction just to get to the credits in my escrow. My Juggernaut, he will have this.

Ashodin

Looking around the net, seems you played two tank classes. interesting.

I personally just want to engage in the story really, take my character to max level doing so, and be done with it. The combat is already starting to grate on me (I keep trying to move around, haha), but I do enjoy the talky parts.

For those into legos, next year we are getting another SWTOR set it seems. It's a smaller trooper battle pack but if your looking to collect an army of Imperial and Republic TOR troopers, this is a good way to go

103.jpg

Also comes with a speeder many of us are familiar with... course theirs shoots missiles :p

The SWTOR lego sets have been great so far and awesome minifigs.

Alur

On the other hand, I saw a guy floating on a fucking throne as a mount and I almost subscribed on reaction just to get to the credits in my escrow. My Juggernaut, he will have this.

Yessir, it is pretty sweet. I haggled my way into one but haven't used it as of yet.

On a side note, while leveling my merc and shadow the last week or so it is amazing how many Masks of Nihilis I see on level 20ish sith characters in PVP. I was recently on Hoth on the same shadow, dinged 42 and was heading back for quest turn ins and ran into 2 imps, 39 and 40, both on the Overlord mount. It's crazy, I really thought they'd be more rare...then again with people opening 20-40-60+ packs its hard to keep it too rare.

Cystm

Is there any other alternative to obtaining 226+ mod schematics other than raiding or dumping millions into the GM?

40k per 22a mod is barely enough to break even after mats.

Kyari

For those into legos, next year we are getting another SWTOR set it seems. It's a smaller trooper battle pack but if your looking to collect an army of Imperial and Republic TOR troopers, this is a good way to go

103.jpg

Also comes with a speeder many of us are familiar with... course theirs shoots missiles :p

The SWTOR lego sets have been great so far and awesome minifigs.

Will be picking up several of these :D
I have the republic fighter with the adorable little lego T7, keep meaning to pick up the Fury at some point but its a big and expensive set.

On a different note, they really need to add some HK-51 customisation kits because man there are a lot of dudes with him on fleet.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So with all the f2p restrictions is it worth buying a cheap copy just to get preferred along with the month sub? Cousin started playing this because it went f2p so I may start though I kinda want to pay for something since I don't like how gimped f2p players are.

Starting to see them finally putting up ads on sites for the f2p, was wondering when they were gonna actually start promoting this.

So with all the f2p restrictions is it worth buying a cheap copy just to get preferred along with the month sub? Cousin started playing this because it went f2p so I may start though I kinda want to pay for something since I don't like how gimped f2p players are.

Well you can get the game cheap lately with all the sales, and with the purchase you get the month and free cash shop coins which depending on the price it could end up being very worth it since most are clearancing it off.

Eurogamer F2P review: 4/10

Eurogamer said:
The Old Republic's biggest failing as a free-to-play game, though, is its attitude. It doesn't simply push you to subscribe. It levies so many petty restrictions that it ends up feeling like the goal wasn't to attract newcomers so much as spite any who dared show up.
The Old Republic has no time for this, preferring to treat non-subscribers as third-class citizens - even the ones willing to spend money on individual purchases. These unworthies earn no rested XP, with even regular XP being acquired at a lower rate. Quick Travel is now on a two-hour cooldown instead of half an hour. Even opening a shop window (not including the real money one) means getting a snippy "Vendor prices are increased for Free-to-Play Players".

This is not how subscribers are won. This is how 20GB of disk space is recovered.

I patched and logged in yesterday. Guild Wars 2 has ruined my SWTOR muscle memory. I keep crouching when I try to open doors...

The armour sets from the Cartel store - are the appearances faction-neutral? Can I buy the Sith sets for my dark jedi, and buy a Jedi robe with a hood for my Sith warrior?

*hopes*

I'm gonna get an axe for my Sandperson (I have a Sith Juggernaut with a vibrosword and the armour/speeder from the event).

Yeah, I know. For me MMOs are about playing dress-up!

I patched and logged in yesterday. Guild Wars 2 has ruined my SWTOR muscle memory. I keep crouching when I try to open doors...

The armour sets from the Cartel store - are the appearances faction-neutral? Can I buy the Sith sets for my dark jedi, and buy a Jedi robe with a hood for my Sith warrior?

*hopes*

I'm gonna get an axe for my Sandperson (I have a Sith Juggernaut with a vibrosword and the armour/speeder from the event).

Yeah, I know. For me MMOs are about playing dress-up!

Yea the cartel shop items aren't faction restricted. You can always know by doing an item preview, if the item is faction restricted it will transform into the faction equivalent version instead in the preview.

Can't please everyone. So many people are in shock over the fact that they are restricted.

"third class citizens." You are as restricted as you choose to be. The model allows you to purchase unlocks with in game credits, or can be purchased dirt cheap with cartel coins.

Cry me a fucking river.

It's not really crying about restrictions, it's that it's a crappy F2P system. Many other games have better systems that actually promotes players to play. SWTOR's system is just really weak and is going to turn away many players.

A player can buy unlocks, all of which temporary, while other f2p games let you buy your unlocks that you keep. And the game still locks out various parts that a f2p player can not purchase. F2P players truly don't have the option to play as they want, because no matter how much they choose to spend, they are still locked out and restricted in many areas.

The review is for the F2P system itself, and as it stands, it's been a really sloppy and restrictive experience for the freebies.

Alur

The review is for the F2P system itself, and as it stands, it's been a really sloppy and restrictive experience for the freebies.

I agree.

I made a F2P account just to check it out, it actually ended up screwing up my action bars when I logged back on my main account somehow. No clue how that happened, but anyway...

The UI thing is a huge Debbie downer to most, whether they are actually needed or not and has colored the whole perception of this F2P in the outside world. Unlocking a UI bar on one toon IMO should unlock it on several. The fact that they do restrict EXP as well as give no rest EXP is almost asshole-ish (why not one or the other?).

I know you say you can buy unlocks with in game credits, Cystm, and some you can I agree. However, the credit cap also prevents BW from making money by not allowing them to accrue enough to buy the more expensive unlocks. As it stands, the more expensive ones (and arguably, the most useful) like Artifact Equipment sell for two or three times what a F2P can accrue in credits, as well as just "perks" like say the Chiss race or what have you which are still running about 1.5 to 2x the credit cap.

I'm not saying there's not a lot of good things available to F2P players, but you can hardly say they are getting much more than a good story. To some that's enough, and to a lot of current subscribers that is indeed all that's needed for F2P folks in their eyes...however, it's not how you draw folks into a game.

BW is in serious need of some good PR and good word of mouth, and they aren't getting it because they are stubborn about things that they shouldn't be. As great as this game is, if I was trying it out to see if I wanted to sub/purchase shit at 75% exp, looking ugly and with half the UI, I wouldn't be too inclined myself.

Miletius

Call me again when you can buy character slots with cartel coins. The F2P experience is underwhelming at best. A rushed to the market solution that seems more intent on siphoning extra money from current subscribers with random goodie packs than seriously offering F2P players a way to do it "their way."

I've made my peace with it though. Subbed for the month to collect the extra cartel coins on my account (1200) and plan on un-subbing at the end of the month. Will buy as many permanent unlocks with credits and coins beforehand so I know what I can use and will decide to play on based on those restrictions. Would not bother if I were getting anything less than a a sub months' worth of coins though.

Azzurri

A good F2P game makes you want that sub because it's fun, not because you're so restricted w/o it. That's my take anyways.

Top Bottom