• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield New Trailer Revealed + Starfield Direct | Xbox Showcase 2023

mansoor1980

Gold Member
That NPC really looks creepy, especially eyes. Reminds me of this guy

MV5BMDAzNjVkMTEtZTdjMi00MjhjLTlmYjEtZDI0ZWExNTQxMGI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ1NjgzOTA@._V1_.jpg

Awesome showing from Xbox. Probably the best showcase since their 2020 one.
With all that was shown, we still have the following yet to be shown.
Indiana Jones
State of Decay 3
Perfect Dark
Contraband
The Outer Worlds 2
Wolfenstien 3
Gears 6
Zenimax Online New IP
Project Mara
New id game
New Roundhouse game
New Double Fine games

That's one hell of a road map for Xbox.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Nothing shown convinceed me this isn't just a ripoff of NMS. Why did they avoid showing how quests and missions work if they are even present here or anything substantial about the combat gameplay? I don't care about scanning things all day.

mrabott

???

Are you saying nothing in fiction has good intelligent aliens or am I misinterpreting? Star Trek did fantastic with that. Mass Effect in the video game space absolutely KILLED that,
I apologize for parachuting into the discussion, but I've never seen a truly alien intelligent species. They look like aliens, with their different bodies, but they still have bilateral symmetry, carry tools in their hands, and act and think like human beings.

The truth is, there is nobody smart enough to write a truly alien species.

Nothing shown convinceed me this isn't just a ripoff of NMS. Why did they avoid showing how quests and missions work if they are even present here or anything substantial about the combat gameplay? I don't care about scanning things all day.
Because that’s boring. And I have a sinking feeling that the mundane stuff is gonna be boring af in this game.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This is a Bethesda game. Its story quest line alone will set it apart from the terrible “story” of NMS. I’ve purchased NMS on 3 different platforms, and there’s no way you could get to boot up NMS after seeing the Starfield direct.

b0uncyfr0

Yeah, im not down with 4k/30. I didnt buy an OLED to game at 30 fps.

30 fps should be left in 2020. 60 fps is optimal. Im sure 1440p/50-60 is doable but they arent focusing on it. Most likely its coming later on.

Still, not ideal though.

killatopak

This is a Bethesda game. Its story quest line alone will set it apart from the terrible “story” of NMS. I’ve purchased NMS on 3 different platforms, and there’s no way you could get to boot up NMS after seeing the Starfield direct.
Not saying you're wrong but Bethesda games main quest lines stopped being good post Oblivion. Side quests are still good but for the most part dropping as well. In FO4, Far Harbor is the only good story from the DLCs. Maybe the robot one if you like nostalgia from 3.

FO76 completely put away the story. Though ESO still seems excellent.

I think how good a story is largely depends on who Bethesda hires as a writer and frankly I don't know who the one in Starfield is.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sooner than expected. Looked great.

Take a deep breath. People were able to enjoy Zelda on the Switch.
Switch is a shitty tablet, zelda even running on that thing is a miracle even if it runs like shit.
What is the excuse for not having a 1440p60 option on the SeX?

I'm gonna play on pc at 4k60 so these are not my problems but still...

Switch is a shitty tablet, zelda even running on that thing is a miracle even if it runs like shit.

Every Bethesda game I've played on PC has had horrible mouse lag/smoothing. I really hope they make the mouse/keyboard experience good this time.

Pidull

Definitely looking forward to playing this game eventually. I'm honestly really curious to see the limits of what a massive dev team and budget can do for a game set in space. Curious just how many hours of gameplay it will have.

I admit I have been surprised that there isn't more discussion about Bethesda's lack of diversity in the Starfield Direct. All the usual media complaining about it are unusually silent about it.

I've been avoiding watching any footage etc but from screenshots and discussion it seems like they are building a no mans sky clone?

Why care to comment if you have literally just looked at screenshots? Troll.

I've gone from not caring about starfield to really being excited for it after seeing more yesterday. For me the game will live and die by the quality of it's writing and quest lines. I just hope they do a good job with it.

MagnesD3

It looks very much like it will be No Man Sky 2.0, the resource grind is abysmal I imagine but it's pretty, aliens you can talk would have done alot to make things more interesting though, the humans look pretty damn boring. I'm guessing people who absolutely love all the bethesda games will love it though, I have no plans spending 500 hours on just an solid game, If I play it eventually I'll probably just b line the main story so I don't hate myself lol.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
In FO4, Far Harbor is the only good story from the DLCs.

I think how good a story is largely depends on who Bethesda hires as a writer and frankly I don't know who the one in Starfield is.
I vaguely remember finally meeting my son in Fallout 4, skipping all his dialog, shooting him in the face then looting his corpse.

Raonak

Banned
No, the graphics look amazing outside of some poor face models. It's open world, with proper physics applied to all objects. I find it mighty impressive.
To me the models, materials and environmental density feel last gen. The quality of the lighting also leaves a lot to be desired, has that oversharpened Bethesda look.

Very underwhelming for the first 30fps only current gen game tbh.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Ok i finally saw the deep dive, well the game looks fairly incredible, not gonna lie.

Some of the writing and the human models seems the only thing a bit off.

Even the shooting seems competent at the very least.
Does the shootings look a little like Cyberpunks?

Starfield looks phenomenal.

Super excited to play it.

It looks like high budget No Mans Sky in all the right ways.
They definitely saw NMS and said, "Yea, we can fuck them up."

It literally has every feature from that game and it's not hiding that at all.

It just looks like a version of NMS that got updated for 20+ years haha.

Portugeezer

I'm simply saying people will be able to enjoy it, same way they enjoy Zelda.

Being a tablet doesn't make 30fps 55fps, it's still 30fps with many dips.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

The excuse is that with so many dynamic game systems you need an insane headroom to keep the framerate consistent.

Anyone else surprised how bad the graphics look for a 30fps game?
The graphics are amazing in most areas - but the character models/animations look bethesda-y and definitely don’t look next gen in all respects. I don’t think it’s running 30 simply due to that though - I think it’s the lighting being global illumination and the systems at play so it’s cpu bound as people say. Kind of expected for something of this scope to be that framerate on console - I do believe we’ll be seeing more of this as the consoles age and games are built more for high spec pc’s

Personally I played Jedi survivor and horizon in 30 fps mode cus to me it looked much better that way - so I’m getting used to it again.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've been avoiding watching any footage etc but from screenshots and discussion it seems like they are building a no mans sky clone?
I like NMS, bought it 3 times. Starfield is 100x more fun looking and actually is a role playing game.

NMS is a space resource gathering and exploration game. That’s about it. Resource gathering and exploration look to be just parts of Starfield.

I like NMS, bought it 3 times. Starfield is 100x more fun looking and actually is a role playing game.

NMS is a space resource gathering and exploration game. That’s about it. Resource gathering and exploration look to be just parts of Starfield.
Yeah problem with NMS is that the resource gathering aspect is the game. I wish it gripped me more - cus the tech is really cool - but I need some sort thing to drive me story wise, world wise. It doesn’t feel alive in any way - just like I’m hopping from random planet to random planet with no real goal

Riky

$MSFT
Awesome showing from Xbox. Probably the best showcase since their 2020 one.
With all that was shown, we still have the following yet to be shown.
Indiana Jones
State of Decay 3
Perfect Dark
Contraband
The Outer Worlds 2
Wolfenstien 3
Gears 6
Zenimax Online New IP
Project Mara
New id game
New Roundhouse game
New Double Fine games

That's one hell of a road map for Xbox.

Hopefully we get the id game at Quakecon and Perfect Dark at the Game Awards like last time. It's an incredible line up when you put it all together.

Alebrije

Sinse its a Bethesda game I will wait for release and see reviews...do not know why some people tag it as GOTY just because the show.

Hope B learned and its not a glitch fest and also really worked on story and dialogs..because if the story is like Fallout 4 the game will be lame.

Basically what we saw has been done before but if they manage to put all those elements to work along the game will be good.

Sinse its a Bethesda game I will wait for release and see reviews...do not know why some people tag it as GOTY just because the show.

Hope B learned and its not a glitch fest and also really worked on story and dialogs..because if the story is like Fallout 4 the game will be lame.

Basically what we saw has been done before but if they manage to put all those elements to work along the game will be good.
I mean I loved fallout 4 so I’m not concerned - how has this all been done before though? Where?

RickSanchez

Too big honestly. Why do they feel games need to be this huge? Could've made 5 normal games in this size.
This is intimidating and scary to start playing a game this huge. I think it's size is t it's detriment
You could say the same for Skyrim by 2011 standards. I do not think the scope of the game is to its detriment at least conceptually. If Bethesda can technically pull this off on most PCs and the Xboxes, i welcome it.

The point of a huge world (or a huge galaxy in this case), is that you can get lost in it and basically play your own version of the game, defined by your own little unique experiences. And you're supposed to do it over several days/weeks/months/years, across multiple playthroughs and sessions. It can become a mini second life for you that you enjoy on your own terms (even more so with mods on PC). There are people who have put 100s of hours put into Skyrim but have not finished the main storyline. Because they don't have to, because all the other content is equally immersive and enjoyable. That's the point of a large game. That you can choose to experience any portion of it, large or small, regardless of the total amount of content it has. And there are people out there like me who love to experience games like that.

Perhaps you're fear stems from thinking of huge open worlds that are horribly devoid of unique content like the last 3 Assassin's Creed games. That is because Ubisoft are not good at populating an open world. Bethesda have proven that they are (atleast with Skyrim).

I think Starfield will be the same. Hopefully, better.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You could say the same for Skyrim by 2011 standards. I do not think the scope of the game is to its detriment at least conceptually. If Bethesda can technically pull this off on most PCs and the Xboxes, i welcome it.

The point of a huge world (or a huge galaxy in this case), is that you can get lost in it and basically play your own version of the game, defined by your own little unique experiences. And you're supposed to do it over several days/weeks/months/years, across multiple playthroughs and sessions. It can become a mini second life for you that you enjoy on your own terms (even more so with mods on PC). There are people who have put 100s of hours put into Skyrim but have not finished the main storyline. Because they don't have to, because all the other content is equally immersive and enjoyable. That's the point of a large game. That you can choose to experience any portion of it, large or small, regardless of the total amount of content it has. And there are people out there like me who love to experience games like that.

Perhaps you're fear stems from thinking of huge open worlds that are horribly devoid of unique content like the last 3 Assassin's Creed games. That is because Ubisoft are not good at populating an open world. Bethesda have proven that they are (atleast with Skyrim).

I think Starfield will be the same. Hopefully, better.
Hope so. Skyrim seems tiny and manageable in comparison.
Never enough of a good thing I suppose

Top Bottom