• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Battallion Heavy Armour - "1/10" "It does not work" "Should not have shipped"

calder

It was basically unplayable for one platform but got the same reviews across the board. This dogpile they are doing right now on Steal Battalion highlights the sliding scale the gaming media all seem to run by in which their favourite games get let off even if there are major bugs or design problems with them.
As was said numerous times during the Skyrim PS3 debacle, it would have been very easy for reviewers to play the whole main campaign, a couple of the sub quests and explore the world for several hours and not run into the game killing slowdown, which in my case hit only aft 50ish hours. Some (rare) review sites DID play the game on PS3 enough to experience it and mentioned it in their reviews, but in an industry that uses one review to cover multi platform releases this was one case where it's tough to fault game reviewers for missing it.

Satchel

Banned
It is extremely more easy to mask unintended gestures with a game like Dance Central then it is with a direct control game like Steel Battalion Heavy Armor.

But unintended gestures don't appear to be the issue here. Even intended ones are. This is almost completely a dev issue.

haha, wonder if another mech game in a world where there is still technology, would work better for kinect. Minority Report style broad gestures over a sleek interface could be cool (and could possibly work).

Kinect is long way off from ever being able to handle the only proper way to do a motion based mech game.

large-professor-9189.jpg

jkh13

Neo Member
I think the problem is the Kinect despite jkh13 good post. If the Kinect is basically a gaming camera that freeze frames skeletal structure and feeds that into the system of the game, that means in a heated situations such as Steel Battallion where you are trying to hurry the movements to quickly scope, pull levers or press buttons it's going to cause conflicts, because in a hectic game you will obviously want to do things quickly. Especially if the music is blaring, the atmosphere is caustic and exciting. Which the Kinect has a problem recognising as opposed to a static pose, or slower movement.

This is a common misconception. The kinect is bound to a 30hz refresh rate on its depth sensor. That means it can accurately detect poses 30 times a second. The Kinect has no problem recognising poses whether you are moving fast or really slow, infact it doesn't particularly care about how fast you are moving, the accuracy will remain the same. It will always capture an accurate static pose 30 times a second.

Liken this to a game running at 30fps, if a bullet travels really slowly or really fast, the game will still accurately be able to place the bullet in the scene in any of the 30 frames of action per second. The accuracy of the position of the bullet is not affected by its velocity.

The problem comes down to the developer again. Given these sequence of frames, how do we make sense of this?

One likely problem that might be happening with the game is that the processing of the kinect data might be dependant on the fps that the game is running at. I wonder if the actions are more reliable when the game is running at a more stable framerate?

DrBo42

This is a common misconception. The kinect is bound to a 30hz refresh rate on its depth sensor. That means it can accurately detect poses 30 times a second. The Kinect has no problem recognising poses whether you are moving really fast or really slow, infact it doesn't particularly care about how fast you are moving, the accuracy will remain the same. It will always capture an accurate static pose 30 times a second.

Liken this to a game running at 30fps, if a bullet travels really slowly or really fast, the game will still accurately be able to place the bullet in the scene in any of the 30 frames of action per second. The accuracy of the position of the bullet is not affected by its velocity.

The problem comes down to the developer again. Given these sequence of frames, how do we make sense of this?

*raises hand hesitantly* Inexperienced developer/lack of kinect coding help or suggestions via Microsoft?

jkh13

Neo Member
*raises hand hesitantly* Inexperienced developer/lack of kinect coding help or suggestions via Microsoft?

I think a problem is that a lot of developers look at the Kinect and see it as a tool to just add a few motion features here and there. In the end this comes and bites them in the ass when they realise that it can be a lot harder than they expected it to be.

Gesture recognition is a hard problem to solve and is probably quite far removed from typically games programming knowledge. Amazing results can be achieved if you know what you are doing but, as with anything in life, jumping in with no idea will only cause you trouble.

Eusis

I think a lot of it is that if you need to do something precisely and relatively fast the Kinect isn't much good. I believe Child of Eden can ramp up with a controller, and I felt playing Fruit Ninja with it at a Microsoft Store was way worse than just playing it on a touch screen (makes me wonder if this would've been a better Wii U game too), so unless I needed a better environment (I expect Microsoft Stores are the best ones for playing Kinect at retail however) or just time to get used to it I think citing something like Dance Central only shows that it's strengths are recognizing moves broadly where precisely touching things on a screen isn't a big deal.

Satchel

Banned
I think a lot of it is that if you need to do something precisely and relatively fast the Kinect isn't much good. I believe Child of Eden can ramp up with a controller, and I felt playing Fruit Ninja with it at a Microsoft Store was way worse than just playing it on a touch screen (makes me wonder if this would've been a better Wii U game too), so unless I needed a better environment (I expect Microsoft Stores are the best ones for playing Kinect at retail however) or just time to get used to it I think citing something like Dance Central only shows that it's strengths are recognizing moves broadly where precisely touching things on a screen isn't a big deal.

This has already been addressed as incorrect.

Also 'broad' for Dance Central isn't a great word. How the hell do you dance?

Zaptruder

Banned
What a goddamn shame. If it worked, it would've been the experience to bridge hardcore kinect uses with what it currently is.

The concept of the technology is still fundamentally solid - get some leap motion tech in that sonofabitch and this thing would probably work perfectly.

But between poor design, programming and weak kinect capabilities on the 360, it's a cluster fuck in trying to do anything with precision. Unfortunately, this game demonstrates just how lacking the whole setup is with regards to interesting contextual commands in gaming.

And will probably dissuade developers and gamers from risking it with another game of its type - probably into next gen as well.

Jomjom

Banned
This is a common misconception. The kinect is bound to a 30hz refresh rate on its depth sensor. That means it can accurately detect poses 30 times a second. The Kinect has no problem recognising poses whether you are moving fast or really slow, infact it doesn't particularly care about how fast you are moving, the accuracy will remain the same. It will always capture an accurate static pose 30 times a second.

One likely problem that might be happening with the game is that the processing of the kinect data might be dependant on the fps that the game is running at. I wonder if the actions are more reliable when the game is running at a more stable framerate?

Maybe you can shed some light on this. For a game like Star Wars, the developer has obviously programmed it to read the player input right, or "making sense of the sequence of frames" as you put it because what the character does on the screen is exactly what you are doing, just really, really delayed. How does programming play into the response of the movements? What you seem to be saying is that with the right developer and the right coding these problems shouldn't exist. The devs for Dance Central never had to deal with this problem because rather than having the character on the screen react to what you are doing, it is in reverse where you are reacting to what the character on the screen is doing. Any lag wouldn't be an issue.

Secondly, for pretty much every Kinect game, everyone has experienced the situation where you perform literally the exact same gesture multiple times, but sometimes it doesn't register, causing you to have to perform the same gesture again until the system "picks it up". If the Kinect is as you say and is capturing 30 frames every single second, why does this happen? How does the programming make it so that even though the Kinect is catching the movement, the game simply doesn't want to respond?

LMAO holy shit @ that AngryJoe video. If you didn't know he was playing a video game and just walked in on him sitting on the couch you'd think he was a psychopath talking to himself. "STOP MOVING SHIT I'M NOT MOVING SHIT!"

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God, I CANNOT wait to watch the Quick Look as I go to bed tonight. Quick Looks of bad games are soooooo good!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://I.imgur.com/HDav3.gif

Just noticed this. LMAO.

Brad Shoemaker said:
If this is the best Kinect can do with a "hardcore" game, you should just pack it up and wait for the next Xbox.

Ouch. Well, at least it's a good thing From has the Souls series of games to fall back on, surely?

I'm glad I didn't go out and buy a Kinect for this shit. I love FromSoftware, but what the hell is this shit. Before reading reviews and just seeing a handful of complaints on Twitter, I also saw Amazon is giving it away free with a Kinect and thought maybe thats not such a bad deal then, but after seeing the video it's not worth any kind of money. It's too bad that a non-Kinect patch is unlikely, at least then it might be okay.

First post in this thread is kind of bullshit. "This Justin guy is correct, but I have a personal vendetta for him so fuck him but lets talk about how he is correct but fuck him."

Oh God, I CANNOT wait to watch the Quick Look as I go to bed tonight. Quick Looks of bad games are soooooo good!
Sadly, it's more frustrating than anything else. I don't think its that good-bad feel.

Eh, did anyone really expect another SB? Ever? It was a one-time thing because MS paid for its development, just like a lot of Kinect releases only exist because MS paid for their development to sell Kinect sensors and attract more people. SB never made money, so it was never destined to be a franchise, anyway. Maybe I'm just missing the joke.

Well, there's "SB was never destined to be a franchise," and then there's "this IP is now radioactive thanks to HA's reception/sales."

The rational part of my mind knows I'll never get a Shenmue 3, but there's always irrational hope. Until, like, Yu Suzuki is found dead. You know what I'm saying.

tranciful

Hey look, turns out everybody who said Kinect wasn't precise enough for anything but minigames, games on rails, and fitness/dance were right.

commedieu

Banned
This isn't a retail game though right? $60..?

Man, the original was fucking boss. They really should have made a game, sold a converter for the old kit.

Looks like it would have been fun w/controller.

Robotech Master

Neo Member
The GB video actually proves that it works and is far from unplayable. He starts off saying he hates the game while its loading up. Then he's playing and none of the issues that they said it had showed up. In the video he's constantly saying that its not working and it clearly is.

The issues that he's having while playing the game are actually problems with how he's using the 360's controller (eg. aiming at the red triangle over enemies heads and completely missing).

Now I've played the demo only twice. The first time though the campaign I died in a burning steel deathtrap. Why? I forgot about using my periscope. The second time through I made it through the mission using my previously forgotten periscope and cover that was available. Basically what I saw of the controls in that GB video is what I experienced in the demo minus the negative kinect talk.

Granted, the controls are not flawless but they aren't game-breaking either. What's funny is how he keeps making excuses for how well it's working-
eg.

(I've gotten better with it thats why it looks like it working)----Well of course you did just like I got better at Super Mario Brs. every time i played it.

(I've found a way to circumvent all the BS)-----------Yes by doing the gestures correctly.

(This game is hard and the mech turns too slow)-------Umm its called Steel Battallion "HEAVY ARMOUR" that how the franchise plays.

(Did people actually like the first game)---------So this isn't a kinect control issue this is a game preference issue.

glaurung

The GB video actually proves that it works and is far from unplayable. He starts off saying he hates the game while its loading up. Then he's playing and none of the issues that they said it had showed up. In the video he's constantly saying that its not working and it clearly is.

The issues that he's having while playing the game are actually problems with how he's using the 360's controller (eg. aiming at the red triangle over enemies heads and completely missing).

Now I've played the demo only twice. The first time though the campaign I died in a burning steel deathtrap. Why? I forgot about using my periscope. The second time through I made it through the mission using my previously forgotten periscope and cover that was available. Basically what I saw of the controls in that GB video is what I experienced in the demo minus the negative kinect talk.

Granted, the controls are not flawless but they aren't game-breaking either. What's funny is how he keeps making excuses for how well it's working-
eg.

(I've gotten better with it thats why it looks like it working)----Well of course you did just like I got better at Super Mario Brs. every time i played it.

(I've found a way to circumvent all the BS)-----------Yes by doing the gestures correctly.

(This game is hard and the mech turns too slow)-------Umm its called Steel Battallion "HEAVY ARMOUR" that how the franchise plays.

(Did people actually like the first game)---------So this isn't a kinect control issue this is a game preference issue.
Awesome defense.

The game is a piece of shit.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

eg.

...you're watching the same video everyone else is, yeah?

eg.

LOL there's always gotta be one.

remnant

Banned

eg.

He stated pretty clearly that the game was broken, but he was able to learn how to play it despite it flaws thru sheer grit.

Any broken game can be played if you are at it long enough. Doesn't mean it's good or fun. And fine let's ignore the shitty controls.

No multiplayer
barebones co-op,
shit story,
bad characters
missions that last 1-3 minutes.

Why are you defending this crap?

saunderez

I constantly kept pulling the shutter down when I tried to use the periscope. In battle this results in death. Just that alone is enough for this game to be a failure. But it's far worse than that. Changing ammo types also resulted in me accidentally pulling the shutter down. And the best part, you can't cancel the animation and put the shutter back up. You have to pull it all the way down, then grab it again, then push it back up. Such stupid design.

remnant

Banned
Thinking back we should have known it was going to be bad. Were any of the "hardcore" kinect titles even hinted at during MS e3 show.

eg.

Chris Meadows, is that you? Your writing skills have really gone downhill.... ;)
It's not really Chris, is it?

commedieu

Banned

eg.

iSMvxT3EgIn9x.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

eg.

I saw the same thing you did. There were about three times that the motion controls got wonkey, but it really seemed like his biggest problem was him just shooting a little too far above everything and missing entirely. It seemed like he was expecting a little drop in the shells when they were flying straight ahead. And I wouldn't be surprised if the few wonkey motion controlled moments could be fixed by a little more deliberate hand movement.

I know I can't be for sure until I play it, but the whole thing just feels like another one of those things that gamers have a fun time just absolutely shitting on even though its a not great but decent game that tries something different. I think I'd still get it and see for myself if it didn't cost 60 dollars and I had a kinect and a living room that could fit it.

eg.

everything being said about the game are lies! They're all lies!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I constantly kept pulling the shutter down when I tried to use the periscope. In battle this results in death. Just that alone is enough for this game to be a failure. But it's far worse than that. Changing ammo types also resulted in me accidentally pulling the shutter down. And the best part, you can't cancel the animation and put the shutter back up. You have to pull it all the way down, then grab it again, then push it back up. Such stupid design.

That sounds incredibly fucking stupid.

Why would you have 6 different objects in the same place that all use very similar, but SLIGHTLY different motions to activate?

That just sounds like a recipe for absolute disaster.

Oh gaming journalists, I bet they feel so high and mighty handing out 1/10's (rightly so to this game) whilst games with just as big problems but with huge devs and publishers behind them ala Skyrim get top scores.

If you think Skyrim has "just as big problems" as Steel Battalion, I'll go ahead and guess that game journalists aren't the only ones with a "high and mighty" complex.

Robotech Master

Neo Member
He stated pretty clearly that the game was broken, but he was able to learn how to play it despite it flaws thru sheer grit.

Any broken game can be played if you are at it long enough. Doesn't mean it's good or fun. And fine let's ignore the shitty controls.

No multiplayer
barebones co-op,
shit story,
bad characters
missions that last 1-3 minutes.

Why are you defending this crap?

Yes he "stated" it clearly and very often throughout the video but the video didn't "show" the problems he was expecting hense the excuse.

No multiplayer
barebones co-op,
shit story,
bad characters
missions that last 1-3 minutes

These are not control issues and whether or not these are included or are good or not, isn't a measure of said controls, which is why we are talking about this game right now and why they gave it low scores.

When I played the demo I had no problem with it telling the difference between the shutter and the periscope. Switching between the two missile types was a hassle and one that I feel should have been relegated to voice control, since the guy who changes the ammo is sitting right next to you.

Chris Meadows, is that you? Your writing skills have really gone downhill.... ;)
It's not really Chris, is it?

No I'm not him :)

JABEE

If you think Skyrim has "just as big problems" as Steel Battalion, I'll go ahead and guess that game journalists aren't the only ones with a "high and mighty" complex.

I think he's talking about Skyrim for the PS3 being unplayable after the first couple hours of playing the game due to game-breaking bugs that 99% of the people that played the game experienced for the first 6 months of its release.

I think he's talking about Skyrim for the PS3 being unplayable after the first couple hours for the first 6 months of its release.

It took more than a couple of hours, as has been discussed elsewhere in this thread. But I also didn't review Skyrim, so I'm off the hook! Woo!

Top Bottom