• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a really bad idea to try and figure out how her future vision works.

I think she said before its just really advanced intuition, not really seeing the future. Like, if she focuses on one thing she can see the outcomes and decide what is the best course of action, but if she's not anticipating something she wont know what is going to happen next because she's not looking for it. Kind of like what happened in cry for help

I think she said before its just really advanced intuition, not really seeing the future. Like, if she focuses on one thing she can see the outcomes and decide what is the best course of action, but if she's not anticipating something she wont know what is going to happen next because she's not looking for it. Kind of like what happened in cry for help

And this works for letting Steven find the location of Pearl and Amethyst in a spaceship she's never been in before? Yet prevents her from finding Steven a few yards from the house before he unleashes Lapis?

I think it's best not to think about it.

We know that it can show wholly accurate futures related to a target focal point for starters. Best to leave it at that.

And this works for letting Steven find the location of Pearl and Amethyst in a spaceship she's never been in before? Yet prevents her from finding Steven a few yards from the house before he unleashes Lapis?

I think the show has a bad time managing powers sometimes, like in friend ship they could have easily captured peridot but the power of the plot stopped them from doing it then. Powers having a sense of logic don't seem to be a huge focus of the show. They're just used whenever its convenient for the story.

Tizoc

Catching up to the show and...Nightmare Hospital could've been done way better.
There's seeing weird shit, then there's accepting weird shit. I find it very hard to believe that that hospital just up and accepted multi armed humanoid as actual human friggin' beings like that...

JC Sera

I always thought it worked like that one guy from code geas
who could see future lines of possibility overlayed

also I found how she got sucked into meat beat very telling of its limitations

Psxphile

So, do we figure Garnet saw that leaving her alone with Steven was the only way to get her to open up about the Cluster?

Sure. She doesn't even need to use future vision, it's pretty obvious in the short time they've had together that they've built up a rapport, and she knows Steven has infinite patience for this kind of thing.

Peedle is proof he can turn anyone around given time and the right circumstances.

EDIT:
tumblr_nvm4cyCHFg1rji958o1_250.gif

Peridot treating Pearl like a servant, eh?

I just saw it as her thinking she doesn't need Pearl's help, that she's clearly the smartest gem there seeing how the rest have been on earth all this time.

Even Pearl seems confused and not annoyed. Well, up until the clap I guess.

KiN0

I just saw it as her thinking she doesn't need Pearl's help, that she's clearly the smartest gem there seeing how the rest have been on earth all this time.

I don't know, that definitely sounded like servant talk to me. Pearl's confusion probably comes from the fact that it's been over 6000 years since someone has spoken to her like that.

zeemumu

They're both quartzes though, so they should logically be the same toughness.

Unless...
Pink Diamond confirmed?

I already assumed she was a diamond.

Weighing in on that other thread: no I don't think the Crystal Gems could beat the Powerpuff Girls.

Zubz

Banned

Could be a bit of both? As for Pearl's reaction, she's been a knight/warrior/mom for the past several thousand years. Even if she was made to be a servant-class gem, she might have just forgotten that.

Anyway, this was great! I'm happy to see
that a big, gem-related arc is happening in the present, and isn't mostly-over in a two-parter. I'm still maintaining that the Cluster will be dealt with by the mid-season finale, and that it'll involve Malachite in some way. And that's pretty neat, that Peridot deduced Steven was a Quartz from him being an Earth-born gem. Especially if the writers meant to deceive people with this to make the reveal that he's a Diamond all the more shocking!

PSqueak

Banned
Could be a bit of both? As for Pearl's reaction, she's been a knight/warrior/mom for the past several thousand years. Even if she was made to be a servant-class gem, she might have just forgotten that.

We already saw that her idea of knighthood might as well be the definition of being a servant, so she probably took offense at the insult towards her intelligence.

ZdkDzk

Future Vision shows her multiple possible futures IIRC. Amethyst and Pearl were already locked up in a specific place, it was just a question of which way Steven had to go to find them. In Mirror Gem, Steven was running away from Garnet at the time, so potentially he could be in multiple places and she would have to check each to know where he actually was.

vypek

I knew someone who had worked on Mystery Inc. as a background painter for the show, and I'll let you know that most of the staff was unhappy when it wasn't renewed for another season.

But those are the breaks. You'll never now when a broadcaster will/won't renew a show for another season, regardless of critical acclaim, ratings, merchandising, etc.

I was unhappy when it wasn't renewed to. Mystery Inc was the ONLY Scooby Doo series that I found entertaining in the slightest. I caught a random episode and really liked it. That show had potential.

Thats true. Sometimes I just don't get how broadcasters think. I'll skip over the usual tirade I would have at this point about Young Justice.

KiN0

I was unhappy when it wasn't renewed to. Mystery Inc was the ONLY Scooby Doo series that I found entertaining in the slightest. I caught a random episode and really liked it. That show had potential.

Thats true. Sometimes I just don't get how broadcasters think. I'll skip over the usual tirade I would have at this point about Young Justice.

I'm actually ok with Mystery Inc. since it managed to finish its story in a clever way that tied back into the original series.

The new series on the other hand is an utter embarrassment. It's just unspeakably ugly coming off of mystery inc.

vypek

I'm actually ok with Mystery Inc. since it managed to finish its story in a clever way that tied back into the original series.

The new series on the other hand is an utter embarrassment. It's just unspeakably ugly coming off of mystery inc.

You're right about that. The series finale actually tied up quite nicely but the ending had me hoping there would be even more. But as it is, I'm glad they could produce such a satisfying ending.

As for the ugliness of the new series, I have to whole-heartedly agree. Switching from good art to bad was the major reason I dropped the Ben 10 series when the latest iteration started. Why would they choose this style after Mystery Inc?

Blues1990

At the end of the day, they have investors that want a return of the money they have invested, & they have a say what they want with meeting those goals.

It's unfair, but technically, their line of thinking is pretty reasonable. I just wished they just focus on the job they were assigned to do, & stop with the "Anyone can cook!" mentality & stop putting their noses in every process of the production. It's like me being thrown into a construction site to operate a wrecking ball, but the only experience that I have is watching someone do it from afar.

I know my job with how to design props & doing storyboards, so let me (& everyone else that is trainned in similar positions) to do their job without any hitches.

dity

Apparently there's a 30 second long preview for the next episode. Since the episode is only 11 minutes that's a sizeable chunk, but here it is if y'all wanna watch it

The utter devestation on Steven's face. Absolutely brutal.

it was to be expected. Exploring the theme of if steven is more of a gem or human it was likely he was going to get a gem counterpart to connie. Just turned out it was peridot instead of lapis lol.

can't wait for him to fuse with peridot, I am curious how they go with that design.

How do you think they're going to deal with this new triangle? Probably going to get a few jealousy episodes. Argh, not a fan of those.

Do you think maybe... Peridot would give up her gem for Connie? Make connie into a half-gem too. Peronnie.

Connidot

zulux21

How do you think they're going to deal with this new triangle? Probably going to get a few jealousy episodes. Argh, not a fan of those.

Do you think maybe... Peridot would give up her gem for Connie? Make connie into a half-gem too. Peronnie.

Connidot

my guesses.

They will go a very clean route with Connie, she will quickly accept peridot as a friend and enjoy having more friends.

Peridot will take on the jealous role for a bit but ultimately spout out lines like "I guess we can share the Steven" I don't think it will ever become a serious thing but more a lot of comedy involved unlike what happened after pearl tricked garnet.

I also don't think peridot will be going anywhere any time soon. There will be no gem giving up, but she might eventually fuse with stevonie in some way (as that is how connie temp gets her gem anyways) seeing the art and some docs and what not from the creators there is no doubt that they all fell in love with this version of peridot and will likely have no plans on harming her in an end her character way. A crack that steven heals, sure. Tortured by Jasper perhaps, but she is very unlikely to be removed at this point.

I mean time will tell, but I feel like this will play out like expected. She will temp join forces to save her self, ultimately discovering the good in the gems, questioning her original goals, and deciding (or really being forced to as these actions likely mean she can't go home) to join up with them for good in a support way. She won't really be on the battle field, but instead develop tech and what not. If she ends up in a battle she will likely hide with Steven. She may eventually obtain some weaponry back to fight back, but I really feel her weapon will be something along the line of a scanner to figure out enemy weaknesses.

dity

my guesses.

They will go a very clean route with Connie, she will quickly accept peridot as a friend and enjoy having more friends.

Peridot will take on the jealous role for a bit but ultimately spout out lines like "I guess we can share the Steven" I don't think it will ever become a serious thing but more a lot of comedy involved unlike what happened after pearl tricked garnet.

I also don't think peridot will be going anywhere any time soon. There will be no gem giving up, but she might eventually fuse with stevonie in some way (as that is how connie temp gets her gem anyways) seeing the art and some docs and what not from the creators there is no doubt that they all fell in love with this version of peridot and will likely have no plans on harming her in an end her character way. A crack that steven heals, sure. Tortured by Jasper perhaps, but she is very unlikely to be removed at this point.

I mean time will tell, but I feel like this will play out like expected. She will temp join forces to save her self, ultimately discovering the good in the gems, questioning her original goals, and deciding (or really being forced to as these actions likely mean she can't go home) to join up with them for good in a support way. She won't really be on the battle field, but instead develop tech and what not. If she ends up in a battle she will likely hide with Steven. She may eventually obtain some weaponry back to fight back, but I really feel her weapon will be something along the line of a scanner to figure out enemy weaknesses.

So she'll kinda be like the Green Power Ranger you think? I do think the Gems having some support back at home would work out. A strategist.

I think there's maybe also a likelyhood that Steven and Connie might take some sort of parental role over Peridot. Like, she could be their little grump baby.

Korgill

I'm personally guessing that Peridot will slowly join the Crystal Gems, get her hands on new limb enhancers, help stop the Cluster, betray the Gems, take them to Home world, second guess Yellow Diamond's decision to destroy Steven, refriend Steven, then save the Crystal Gems and swear to protect the Earth.

A solid if cliche arc.

zulux21

So she'll kinda be like the Green Power Ranger you think? I do think the Gems having some support back at home would work out. A strategist.

I think there's maybe also a likelyhood that Steven and Connie might take some sort of parental role over Peridot. Like, she could be their little grump baby.

that is possible too.

I'm personally guessing that Peridot will slowly join the Crystal Gems, get her hands on new limb enhancers, help stop the Cluster, betray the Gems, take them to Home world, second guess Yellow Diamond's decision to destroy Steven, refriend Steven, then save the Crystal Gems and swear to protect the Earth.

A solid if cliche arc.

that is totally possible.
I could easily see a temp go back to evil ways arc.
at the same time, I feel that the power of steven's friendship may be to much for peridot to betray him :p

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What is up with Cartoon Network's web player? I have a cable TV login, but the quality of the player is SHIT. There isn't any way to force HD, even trying to have the thing cache for quality doesn't work.

I think it's a really bad idea to try and figure out how her future vision works.

One of the few rules that have been laid out is that she can only look for stuff from her point of view, not others. Which is why she couldn't see Peridot's in Cry for Help: because it wasn't her fixing up the hub, their paths wouldn't intersect independent of Garnet's actions. It's notable that she didn't anticipate Pearl being the one fixing the hub because she didn't look for her specifically.

Since it was Steven who got Peridot to crack, and Garnet wasn't present, it's very likely she wouldn't have been able to anticipate that, either.

Weiss

Banned

A solid if cliche arc.

I think the important thing to consider with Peridot's heel turn is that right now she doesn't have a reason to side with the Crystal Gems. She's a prisoner working with traitors to Homeworld so she can save her own skin. The only person on the entire planet she cares about, maybe even at all, is Steven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom