• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

doop_

Banned
I guess yellow diamond will be kept for the season finale, The cluster arc feels like it will be done by the mid-season along with Malachite.

I wonder if when they said this show is now going in a new direction (or something along those lines) at the beginning of the second Steven bomb they meant that its going to be more serialized? Both the sardonyx arc and this cluster/peridot one are pretty serialized. It'll probably go back to being episodic for a bit after the midseason finale but I bet these 'arcs' are gonna be more and more frequent.

I guess yellow diamond will be kept for the season finale, The cluster arc feels like it will be done by the mid-season along with Malachite.

I hope malachite at least is, if would feel really slow if they stretched that out for 50 episodes. They have to do something about the cluster by the midseason finale though, it would be very strange for them to just go 'eh whatever we can't stop it right now' and go back to the slice of life stuff.

Psxphile

Really? The Cluster feels like a series-finale level threat to me.

Same. Maybe they'll find a way to put it back into dormant status to buy themselves some time? Bubble it, maybe? And that's when YD decides to make her entrance:

"What? Where's the 'kaboom'? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering 'KABOOM'!?"

Bronx-Man

Banned
What if Yellow Diamond is actually trying to make so many fusions back Earth so that she can create her own Infinity Stones to take on Thanos and get both of the Infinity Gauntlets

Zubz

Banned
Really? The Cluster feels like a series-finale level threat to me.

Eh. Homeworld is responsible for the Cluster, so I'd think they'd eventually go for the group responsible for the Cluster after diffusing the imminent threat that the Cluster presents. And since the extended intro already teased us with Yellow Diamond anyway, I'd say that they're saving her for the series finale. Or at least, the season finale; we know Season 3 is coming, so maybe Season 2 ends with Yellow Diamond's defeat, but we find that a greater threat is plaguing the Gems. Or they just lose to Yellow Diamond, but not in a way that ends with any of the CG's/Earth getting destroyed.

If the show doesn't end with a gurren lagann style fight of Steven + connie + the crystal gems + peridot + lapis + possibly all of beach city all fused together info a planet sized fusion fighting the cluster in space hurling asteroids at each other ill be disappointed

dity

If the show doesn't end with a gurren lagann style fight of Steven + connie + the crystal gems + peridot + lapis + possibly all of beach city all fused together info a planet sized fusion fighting the cluster in space hurling asteroids at each other ill be disappointed
"Steven, fuse with the Earth!"

*Steven kisses the Earth*

PSqueak

Banned

Im betting the closest we actually can hope for is either the gems + steven fusing into what the temple is patterned after, or with the temple itself.

dity

What if Steven used the time thing again and got himself from multiple timelines and fuses with himself?

Would he become Giant Steven?

What if Steven used the time thing again and got himself from multiple timelines and fuses with himself?

Would he become Giant Steven?

I always wondered why the Gems would want the time thing seeing how it's like DBZ in that you just visit past timelines and can't actually change anything in your original time.

Then my head canon started up thinking that maybe they wanted to use it to go back to a time where Rose was alive and bring her back so that she could be there for everyone including Steven.

As for YD I don't think this series is trying to have villains in the conventional way. I think it's more a case of man vs society. Steven will more so have to fight to change HW's (or just the diamonds) ideas and culture, not smash himself against a villain he can hit. Like how PDot came off as a "bad guy" only to have that image be broken down as we see her motivations and her personality. I feel the same will happen with Jasper, we'll see that she may very well have good reason to hold a grudge against Rose. Maybe this love craft larger than earth cluster is actually needed by YD to fight off a great threat. Maybe it's a different alien race ... maybe HW divided into different planets and are warring with each other.
Who knows, but I'm sure it's not gonna be a problem Steven can punch to fix.

I feel like that might be why we have this weird motley crew of gems that break the norm of HW. You have Pearl, a gem who may be of some kinda secretary class (seems like a more app label than "Servant". Gem's don't seem to require homes to be attend to) but through hard work and determination she's become a great warrior, strategist and mechanical engineer. Garnet's a "filthy war machine" that's actually the result of 2 different classes of gems fusing in a loving relationship, making a much stronger gem with the combined powers of each. Amy is a warrior gem that's been raised completely native to different world and culture. Steven is ... Steven. An organic gem hybrid.

They ALL seem to put pressure on the notion that gems should have a class system. That roles have to be done only by XYZ types of gems. I think that's what's gonna be shown through PDot, she's gonna see that there's more to a gem than what role they were labeled and through that she will find that there's more to herself than that.

It think that's where the real fight is, not a punch-em-up with YD and the other Diamonds but changing how the diamonds or at least the HW gems see things.

zeemumu

I feel like this is leaning towards Steven's eventual role of the new Rose Quartz who has to keep the gems in line, because without a peacekeeper they respond to most threats with violence and bubbling.

Weiss

Banned
Oh man, I just had a thought about the Gem Temple. What if the giant, four armed Gem from the episode about the founding of Beach City is the Temple? What if the heart of the Temple where they store the bubbled Gems is the Gem of the Temple itself?

Oh man, I just had a thought about the Gem Temple. What if the giant, four armed Gem from the episode about the founding of Beach City is the Temple? What if the heart of the Temple where they store the bubbled Gems is the Gem of the Temple itself?

I called this like 200 pages ago.

Thing is that the temple has 6 arms

Leonel

Neo Member

I always assumed that the fusion of Yellow/Blue/White Diamond would be the series finale. But, yeah, it really seems that the issue will be solved pretty soon if not atleast put to ease.

PSqueak

Banned
I always assumed that the fusion of Yellow/Blue/White Diamond would be the series finale. But, yeah, it really seems that the issue will be solved pretty soon if not atleast put to ease.

Maybe it will be resolved like The Orphan from "Brain Powerd"? Cluster is let free without it destroying the earth nor turning hostile?

Weiss

Banned
Thing is that the temple has 6 arms

Point taken. I think it was only depicted with four arms in the play, and since it was meant to be about what "really happened", Pearl would have made sure the correct amount of arms were shown.

Still, I think it's worth keeping in mind.

Leonel

Neo Member
Maybe it will be resolved like The Orphan from "Brain Powerd"? Cluster is let free without it destroying the earth nor turning hostile?

Had to google that, but I can see that. Though, that would kind of leave the issue of the "missing Crystal Gems" hanging for a while. The show still has to address the issue of how they'll bring them back. Man, I'm so excited to see the solutions to these issues (Homeworld, Cluster, Missing Gems, Corrupted Gems, Malachite)!

Point taken. I think it was only depicted with four arms in the play, and since it was meant to be about what "really happened", Pearl would have made sure the correct amount of arms were shown.

Still, I think it's worth keeping in mind.

Maybe the fourth set of arms were removed / naturally disappeared with Rose's passing. After all, the place where Rose's gem would reside has also been replaced by the house...

Crocodile

Caught this past week's episode. Was pretty good. Laid down a lot of ground work and future plot threads. Steven & Peridot seem to be getting along well :) I feel like we haven't gotten some good action in a while though and I'm getting a bit antsy.

Psxphile

Honestly, these recent eps would probably have been better served as a weeklong bomb:

tumblr_nsl41rYOUB1ubwspgo2_r1_1280.png

http://fakesuepisodes.tumblr.com/

But you know, waiting a full week for each installment is good too. :(

RagnarokX

There's no guarantee it is particularly a vegeta, it's just the name used the most now since it's a former villain/enemy turned good. I could have said a green Ranger or a piccolo too.

The Vegeta trope doesn't really fit. That's a character that was actively antagonistic that turns to the other side while still maintaining a facade of arrogance.

Peridot was only antagonistic towards the Crystal Gems defensively. Her mission was to check on the cluster and the Crystal Gems destroyed her things. What she did was run away and tell her superiors about the big mean people messing with her mission. When she got stranded she kept running away and fought back when the Gem forced her to. She's still putting up a front because she doesn't want to appear weak, but that likely comes from being bullied on homeworld and fear of the much stronger Crystal Gems. Her deal is totally different from a Vegeta type character.

I imagine there will be a scene in the future where she gets poofed trying to help Steven and reforms with a star replacing yellow diamond's icon.

dity

What's the chance that Steven will accept all gems from homeworld onto Earth? It has been said multiple times that Homeworld is dying or uninhabitable right?

Maybe the cluster would be able to be used as a source to sustain gem population life on Earth?

Yeah. My money's that this was the former
"Steven vs. Amethyst."
It'll be a real interesting episode if that's the case.

KiN0

What's the chance that Steven will accept all gems from homeworld onto Earth? It has been said multiple times that Homeworld is dying or uninhabitable right?

Maybe the cluster would be able to be used as a source to sustain gem population life on Earth?

It'll be a real interesting episode if that's the case.

They've never said anything about HW dying, although the effects of Kindergaten certainly suggest this.

Weiss

Banned
They've never said anything about HW dying, although the effects of Kindergaten certainly suggest this.

I'm thinking that Gems can be healthily and naturally created (after all, they had to start somewhere), but Kindergarten is an attempt to mass produce it at high speeds without any concern for the planet being harmed.

Peridot did say Earth was being considered for a colony and Lapis' message indicates that Homeworld has become far worse for wear since the war.

KiN0

I'm thinking that Gems can be healthily and naturally created (after all, they had to start somewhere), but Kindergarten is an attempt to mass produce it at high speeds without any concern for the planet being harmed.

Peridot did say Earth was being considered for a colony and Lapis' message indicates that Homeworld has become far worse for wear since the war.

This is a safe bet. That little short suggests that the kindergarten is all about producing gems with efficiency without regard for the ramifications.

HW on the other hand may not be so bad. Lapis didn't really say it was awful, just too advanced for her to comprehend. She probably had a really severe case of culture shock.

dity

Oh, the impression I got was that HW couldn't sustain the rate at which gems were being created or something hence the need to look for new places to colonise.

I'd imagine the Earth being used to create a big weapon is probably a means to colonise other planets. Erase the need to properly invade and have wars. "We have a big damn gun here, get off or we shoot."

Also, Honestly I still think it's odd that they only sent 2 gems to check on Earth. Given how Pearl describes the gems' history you'd think they'd send a mini army. What's the chances their numbers are dwindling?

Blues1990

Also, Honestly I still think it's odd that they only sent 2 gems to check on Earth. Given how Pearl describes the gems' history you'd think they'd send a mini army. What's the chances their numbers are dwindling?

It's certainly a possibility, but I personally feel that the homeworld gems considers earth (&, by extension, the Crystal Gems) to be a lost cause after the great war. I mean, what's not to say they went to conquer other worlds & used them to repeat similar experiments? Then again, with Jasper & Peridot being M.I.A. & either haven't reported back, what's stopping an armada of Gem warships to come knocking on our door step?

This is a safe bet. That little short suggests that the kindergarten is all about producing gems with efficiency without regard for the ramifications.

HW on the other hand may not be so bad. Lapis didn't really say it was awful, just too advanced for her to comprehend. She probably had a really severe case of culture shock.

A lot of the Gem Culture makes more sense when you realize that they basically came from super advanced magic-tech mid-evil times.

They fight with primitive weapons and didn't even have a way to transmit video back when they rebelled ... makes sense that Knighthood and all that was a thing for them. HW has advanced greatly since then though.

dity

It's certainly a possibility, but I personally feel that the homeworld gems considers earth (&, by extension, the Crystal Gems) to be a lost cause after the great war. I mean, what's not to say they went to conquer other worlds & used them to repeat similar experiments? Then again, with Jasper & Peridot being M.I.A. & either haven't reported back, what's stopping an armada of Gem warships to come knocking on our door step?

Also a possible, considering how Peridot thought "Mom and Dad" was another planet Steven could have been created on.

Jasper seems like she's supposed to be a very powerful gem though. I reckon no reporting back from her might possible result in a war ship showing up again.

Another thing I was wonder was... Why was Peridot not surprised by Steven's masculine appearance?

A lot of the Gem Culture makes more sense when you realize that they basically came from super advanced magic-tech mid-evil times.

They fight with primitive weapons and didn't even have a way to transmit video back when they rebelled ... makes sense that Knighthood and all that was a thing for them. HW has advanced greatly since then though.

Pearl has said that she learnt about knighthood from humans, not gems. When in the Sky Arena she says "this is where I learnt about the human concept of being a knight". Makes me think old gems were more akin to barbarians.

zulux21

Oh, the impression I got was that HW couldn't sustain the rate at which gems were being created or something hence the need to look for new places to colonise.

the popular theory is that HW is at war with a greater threat and thus used places like earth and what not to quickly build a bigger army.

that the story line will go very gurren laggann.

we first save the earth.
defeat the main enemy
take on the bigger enemy the main enemy was hiding and thus take on the universe as hinted by steven's last name :p

I may have added the last name bit there... no may I did :p

zulux21

Is Universe even Steven's real last name? "Greg Universe" felt like a stage name.

Steven Quartz Universe is his legal full name.

Whether that was his dad's birth name or not is up in the air, but at the very least it seems to be his legal name at this point.

dity

Steven Quartz Universe is his legal full name.

Whether that was his dad's birth name or not is up in the air, but at the very least it seems to be his legal name at this point.

Given, of course, they even live in a world where you still need to have a "legal name".

the popular theory is that HW is at war with a greater threat and thus used places like earth and what not to quickly build a bigger army.

that the story line will go very gurren laggann.

we first save the earth.
defeat the main enemy
take on the bigger enemy the main enemy was hiding and thus take on the universe as hinted by steven's last name :p

I may have added the last name bit there... no may I did :p

Steven Universe Vs The Universe

Pearl has said that she learnt about knighthood from humans, not gems. When in the Sky Arena she says "this is where I learnt about the human concept of being a knight". Makes me think old gems were more akin to barbarians.

Yeah, I know. But my point was just that in their culture putting that level of worth on someone else wouldn't be strange. They're already matching mid-evil stuff in a lot of ways, devoting your life towards the protection of a great leader would be a pretty easy concept to grasp.

dity

Yeah, I know. But my point was just that in their culture putting that level of worth on someone else wouldn't be strange. They're already matching mid-evil stuff in a lot of ways, devoting your life towards the protection of a great leader would be a pretty easy concept to grasp.

I dunno. After Rose left it seems like no new leader was assigned, and Peridot certainly wasn't trying to help or protect Jasper in battle. It might just be a Pearl thing, since I get the feeling leaders in gem culture are probably chosen based upon power and experience rather than politics, opinion, or royalty. Proper "warrior emperor" territory. Yellow Diamond is probably really strong.

Blues1990

Jasper seems like she's supposed to be a very powerful gem though. I reckon no reporting back from her might possible result in a war ship showing up again.

Another thing I was wonder was... Why was Peridot not surprised by Steven's masculine appearance?

Yeah, the cluster wll be the least of the Crystal Gem's problems. Also, Jasper will be out for blood when she get's out of her fusion jail cell, with Garnet being on top of her hit list.

Peridot is possibly ignorant of the human concept of sexual differentiation, & since Steven is the only physical human contact that she has ever experienced, it wouldn't surprise me that something like that wouldn't come up. She once thought that a "Steven" was a race that had replaced humanity as the planet's dominant species.

I dunno. After Rose left it seems like no new leader was assigned, and Peridot certainly wasn't trying to help or protect Jasper in battle. It might just be a Pearl thing, since I get the feeling leaders in gem culture are probably chosen based upon power and experience rather than politics, opinion, or royalty. Proper "warrior emperor" territory. Yellow Diamond is probably really strong.

I've been getting that feeling too. Jasper and Peridot seem to be disgusted by weakness in others and ashamed of it in themselves. It makes sense that a maternal nurturing gem like Rose would want to split from HW. It also lends credence to the theory that Rose's army was consisted mainly of HW rejects. Pearl is "defective" and "not built for fighting", Amethyst is a "runt" and Garnet's a perpetual fusion (which is apparently taboo on HW).

dity

Peridot is possibly ignorant of the human concept of sexual differentiation, & since Steven is the only physical human contact that she has ever experienced, it wouldn't surprise me that something like that wouldn't come up. She once thought that a "Steven" was a race that had replaced humanity as the planet's dominant species.
I know that gems lack gender and sex, however they all do appear female and use female pronouns regardless. You'd think, being the google-girl she is, she'd wonder why she'd never come across a gem that looks that different and isn't referred to as "she/her". It'd probably explain why she didn't pin him for a gem right away and just thought he was a Steven.

I've been getting that feeling too. Jasper and Peridot seem to be disgusted by weakness in others and ashamed of it in themselves. It makes sense that a maternal nurturing gem like Rose would want to split from HW. It also lends credence to the theory that Rose's army was consisted mainly of HW rejects. Pearl is "defective" and "not built for fighting", Amethyst is a "runt" and Garnet's a perpetual fusion (which is apparently taboo on HW).
Yes, weakness seems to be a very looked down upon thing for gems (at least at this point).

As for Garnet, I think the new book that came out described that Garnet is taboo for being a fusion of different gems. It is apparently more regular for gems of the same type to fuse. Kinda odd, I wonder if those gems lose their sense of self and become a new regular being rather than a temporary one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom