• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive rolls into E3 on a giant, epic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmoryM

Neo Member
I would be interested to know which demographic(s) this was targeting.

This might be cool for the handful of people who get to hang out on that bus - assuming they're playing the game or drinking or something.

It's possible I've just seen too many game-themed buses to get hyped about a game based on a bus.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well now that's a discussion! Do you not think this is good marketing for the game at all? Like, won't it create decent buzz?

i dunno...not really at least not for me. how much do joke videos really help advertise the actual game especially when what its advertising is something subjective/intangible/not 1:1 to gameplay like humor? i'm trying to think of stuff other devs have done but drawing a blank at the moment

also is the bus actually legit and you will be able to sit in there and play? lol not that it would change my mind or anything. i would rather play on the show floor than in a cramped bus on tiny screens

yeah im a party pooper though :)

Humor.

Between this and Wildstar I don't think I can take video games trying to have an attitude.

Have you actually gamed through an era where games were *actually* trying to have 'tude and failing miserably at it? Glimpse into the past:
Bubsy_2_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

snes_rocky_rodent_front.jpg

Awesome-Possum.png

When trying to have tide went very very wrong.
SO has been great about it so far.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Have you actually gamed through an era where games were *actually* trying to have 'tide and failing miserably at it? Glimpse into the past:

When trying to have tide went very very wrong.
SO has been great about it so far.

By 'tide do you mean 'tude? As in attitude?

keit4

Banned
Sunset Overdrive seems to be the next Titanfall. I.E. the " next big thing" for Xbox One.
So I guess we'll stop hearing about it come release.

WTF.

They don't pretend to create manufactured hype or something like that, they are just promoting a game. I know that Sony didn't promote the previous Insomniac games as much as MS is promoting SO, so this is new for a lot of people but believe me... this is a good thing!

If there are a record amount of trade-ins there are a record amount of pure idiots who didn't pay attention to demos, vids, reviews, etc.

This game looks great to me. Insomniac looks like it finally has a decent game after a while in the dark.

But you don't need gimmicky stage shit to get people excited, that is why I think a gameplay demo of the co-op (after a bit of single player) is just the right amount.

Yeah a 8 player co-op demo is probably the best thing to get people hyped for the game. Not a fan of the marketing so far, I don't like that over the top style of marketing, yet like what I've seen of the game itself.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Have you actually gamed through an era where games were *actually* trying to have 'tude and failing miserably at it? Glimpse into the past:
I think the perception of what it means to have an edge is different now than it was in the 90s. It's also important to take the target demographic into account, and while Sunset Overdrive skews older than the titles you're citing it still hits upon many similar ideas.

These are videos that are being put out regularly for this game, by the way.

Tangentially related.. Major Nelson said (at the MS store event today) that they'd be showing off something new that they're announcing tomorrow on Wednesday at the Century City MS store.. Besides Sunset Overdrive...

Playable something?

I laughed, well done Microsoft. I expect the game is going to get a ton of praise at E3.

Only if the bus comes crashing through Microsofts E3 wall and announces there's a free demo of the game available to all Xbox One owners.

Wait...didn't Microsoft say that something that has never been done at an E3 before was going to happen? Because that, or anything similar to it would be amazing.

skynidas

Banned
this game is to bomb so hard. i have nothing against the game but the latest videos made it look no fun at all, interesting art style and graphics, but the general gameplay looked weird as fuck. I guess we gotta wait until the games out to make this kind of statements but that's my general feeling after watching the latest videos.

this game is to bomb so hard. i have nothing against the game but the latest videos made it look no fun at all, interesting art style and graphics, but the general gameplay looked weird as fuck. I guess we gotta wait until the games out to make this kind of statements but that's my general feeling after watching the latest videos.

That sounds like a good thing. I like weird.

TheOddOne

trying too hard to be funny :p

that's debatable. i was cringing the whole time. but maybe that was the point. :)

i dont think the bus or this video was rad lol

i dunno...not really at least not for me. how much do joke videos really help advertise the actual game especially when what its advertising is something subjective/intangible/not 1:1 to gameplay like humor? i'm trying to think of stuff other devs have done but drawing a blank at the moment

also is the bus actually legit and you will be able to sit in there and play? lol not that it would change my mind or anything. i would rather play on the show floor than in a cramped bus on tiny screens

yeah im a party pooper though :)
Someone is sure putting up some serious work.

For a joke video.

In 2014.

WTF.

They don't pretend to create manufactured hype or something like that, they are just promoting a game. I know that Sony didn't promote the previous Insomniac games as much as MS is promoting SO, so this is new for a lot of people but believe me... this is a good thing!
I didn't say Insomniac was at fault. It seems the Xbox fan base is hyping it up to be the next big thing (like Titanfall), except SO doesn't look nearly as impressive as TF did upon reveal IMO. I have no problem skipping on SO at this point, even if it means my Xbox is caked in dust by the time it comes out.

aristotle

I think most people missed the part where no gamer is actually going to get on the bus. That's the bus the devs are taking to E3. Supposedly.

rrc1594

I didn't say Insomniac was at fault. It seems the Xbox fan base is hyping it up to be the next big thing (like Titanfall), except SO doesn't look nearly as impressive as TF did upon reveal IMO. I have no problem skipping on SO at this point, even if it means my Xbox is caked in dust by the time it comes out.

I don't see that, I just see people looking forward to the game.

1. New Ip
2. It looks like Xbox's big exclusive for the Fall
3. Xbox doesn't get a lot games like this with so much color.

I think the perception of what it means to have an edge is different now than it was in the 90s. It's also important to take the target demographic into account, and while Sunset Overdrive skews older than the titles you're citing it still hits upon many similar ideas.

These are videos that are being put out regularly for this game, by the way.

Sure, I cringe at the guy, but the game itself doesn't look like some try-hard desperate attempt at being cool. It looks legitimately fun, vibrant, action packed, and funny. The respawn animations alone sell the humor to me. Maybe you should be focusing on what the game is presenting instead of some programmer they shoved in front of a camera for a couple of minutes.

Hugstable

Banned

So games shouldn't be hyped or advertised? Doesnt it work the same way at Sony in the same way they tried to push Killzone and Infamous... Let the fans be excited for a game, and to me ot looks more impressive than Titanfall for one reason, it has singleplayer

Some of the responses in this thread are hilarious.

Nobody is hyping it up like titanfall and why wouldn't you be excited for a game on a platform you own that looks cool? And TF was mostly hyped by the press, people like SO because it looks cool and is a breath of fresh air when it comes to AAA games(especially shooters).

Gbraga

Sunset Orange OVAAAAAADORAIVUUU

Take all of my hype, and WELCOME TO THE WORLD

this game seems to be doing all kinds of right lol

ALL KINDS OF RIGHT!

I haven't been this excited about such a high profile game for quite some time.

Please don't suck, there's nothing else aside from this, D4 and Quantum Break that remotely interests me on the Xbox One, so please be good.

I agree with people saying they're trying too hard, but that's part of the charm, you should be facepalming and laughing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom