• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive rolls into E3 on a giant, epic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

REV 09

Didn't realize this game was such a target for hate. Guess being an exclusive does that. I'm just glad we're getting a new ip that actually looks somewhat inspired.

For the people calling this TF, TF had loads of media hype, SO doesn't have any of that...at least not yet.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It was ok. Not as funny as some of the posts in the thread made it sound, but hey any media hype is good for Insomniac after getting practically none with Sony. :p

The bus video was funny ftr. Not laugh out loud hilarious but maybe I like an ad that attempts humor instead of dub step and shitty CGI.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The amount of concern in those posts is honestly kind of weird. Feels like overanalyzing for something that really, really does not need analyzing.

he asked me a question and i replied. :shrugs:

think what you want about my intentions. it wasn't an awful video but it wasn't lol either (to me). doesn't change my hype about the game. i'll make my judgements when we see more gameplay.

Ishan

Sunset Orange OVAAAAAADORAIVUUU

Take all of my hype, and WELCOME TO THE WORLD

ALL KINDS OF RIGHT!

I haven't been this excited about such a high profile game for quite some time.

Please don't suck, there's nothing else aside from this, D4 and Quantum Break that remotely interests me on the Xbox One, so please be good.

I agree with people saying they're trying too hard, but that's part of the charm, you should be facepalming and laughing about it.

i think its half slapstick. not trying to act cool rather than goof off and be grandoisely stupid ... totally fine with that sense of humour.

fasTRapid

Banned
Sunset Overdrive seems to be the next Titanfall. I.E. the " next big thing" for Xbox One.
So I guess we'll stop hearing about it come release.
Yes. Since the first Gameplay trailer, this has gotten some crazy (and I mean it in the literal sense) following. Overreacting. Kind of fitting, heh.

Put 8 TVs in there and drive it onto the stage showing of the 8 player co-op. Bam! Winning.

Gbraga

Yes. Since the first Gameplay trailer, this has gotten some crazy (and I mean it in the literal sense) following. Overreacting. Kind of fitting, heh.

Put 8 TVs in there and drive it onto the stage showing of the 8 player co-op. Bam! Winning.

Maybe you just don't get why people are excited?

Personally, I'm really fucking tired of "cinematic" AAA gaming, and seeing something so gameplay focused and silly is very refreshing.

The gameplay is hitting all the right notes to me as well, it's kinda like Tony Hawk x Dead Rising x Ratchet & Clank, which is fantastic. You have the parkour-traversal (which isn't just HOLD RT TO PARKOUR, thank god!), all kinds of crazy weapons that Insomniac is known for, an open world with tons of verticality to explore, the amp system that gives the combat a lot more depth and makes fights much more interesting than just walking and shooting things, and a motherfucking STYLE METER, I really adore this shit.

As I said, there's nothing aside from this, D4 and Quantum Break that remotely interests me on the Xbox One, but I might buy one if they make a cool bundle.

The PS4 has some games that are nowhere near system seller status to me, like Shadow Fall, Second Son and so on, but at least I'm interested in playing them when I buy my PS4, but stuff like Ryse or Forza? I won't even try a demo. Just saying in case you're implying that people are overreacting because they like Microsoft or whatever.

EDIT: And I didn't even mention the Gorillaz/Tekkon Kinkreet art that I love so much, and the silly fact that the name really makes me think of JoJo everytime I read it, and I'm really trying too hard to make the OT title have some JoJo reference.

Feels like the Player Hater's Ball up in here. MS is investing in to new IPs (they don't even get to own this one!) and that was one of their biggest criticisms last Gen. The game looks like its gonna be a lot of fun. A lot of stupid stupid fun

d0nnie

Banned
Well, Microsoft is very good at spending money for marketing and promotion. The game seems good, but like always, Microsoft will attempt to blow it out of proportion. In other words, "manufacture" the hype...like Titanfall.

It will be interesting to see the process and the outcome. I have a feeling it will have an outcome like Titanfall....empty, overall.

I really like Insomniac's sense of humor about the whole thing. We need more silliness in our media, because it's getting way too serious for its own good.

fasTRapid

Banned
Maybe you just don't get why people are excited?
Maybe this or maybe it's just that I stay realistic and don't put it on a pedestral. I like it for what it is and I'll be happy eating my crow once it's out, but until then I'll remain doubtful it can live up to some of the crazy expectations. I saw people speaking of a system seller and how it made an Xbox One a must-have after the very first gameplay trailer. These are the ones I'm speaking of, when I agree that in terms of hope for Xbox One's success this seems to be the new Titanfall for some fans of the green brand.

Gbraga

Maybe this or maybe it's just that I stay realistic and don't put it on a pedestral. I like it for what it is and I'll be happy eating my crow once it's out, but until then I'll remain doubtful it can live up to some of the crazy expectations. I saw people speaking of a system seller and how it made an Xbox One a must-have after the very first gameplay trailer. These are the ones I'm speaking of, when I agree that in terms of hope for Xbox One's success this seems to be the new Titanfall for some fans of the green brand.

Well, Project Beast made a PS4 a must have for a lot of people (including myself) before the footage even leaked. That's NeoGAF for you.

TheOddOne

So you put crazy people on a pedestal and took their word as gospel. That isn’t you judging the game on its own merits, but you judging the expectations of somebody else.

Kelsey

Banned

I agree with all the people attempting to paint this scenario as the "new Titanfall". I haven't seen so many people attempting to downplay an exclusive this hard since Titanfall.

PaulloDEC

Neat bus, fun video. Especially liked that last line about looking at the internet while the revolution happened. They know their audience.

I'm predicting a record amount of day 2 trade-ins for this game, the hype strikes me as entirely unjustified.

I'm predicting a ridiculous amount of negative comments in a sunset overdrive thread.
Too late

Anyway, fun video and looking forward to the E3 presentation.

So games shouldn't be hyped or advertised? Doesnt it work the same way at Sony in the same way they tried to push Killzone and Infamous... Let the fans be excited for a game, and to me ot looks more impressive than Titanfall for one reason, it has singleplayer
Killzone and Infamous are established franchises with a great track record.
Sunset Overdrive is a new IP from a studio coming off of fucking FUSE for christ's sake.

I just don't get it. I'm a Ratchet fan, I'm a Infamous fan, and I'm a Dead Rising fan... and yet I feel nothing towards this game. I guess I'll treat myself as an outlier in this game's case.

Sunset Overdrive is a new IP from a studio coming off of fucking FUSE for christ's sake.

I just don't get it. I'm a Ratchet fan, I'm a Infamous fan, and I'm a Dead Rising fan... and yet I feel nothing towards this game. I guess I'll treat myself as an outlier in this game's case.
FYI Their last game wasn't fuse

TheOddOne

So you will believe their hype instantly without question and deem it justified? Huh, I always thought that you had to look what the product has to offer instead of the logo printed on the front of the cover.

Anyway, co-creative directors of Resistance 3 are heading up this project. Fuse had other creative people at the helm.

Kssio_Aug

What people saw on Sunser Overdrive that seems so bad? Because Im loving how its looking! I mean, Im keeping my hype in control, its not that I believe this is any revolutionary or something, but the art is good and the gameplay looks really fun, and it looks the perfect kind of game to coop!

Edit: Amazing trailer by the way!

fasTRapid

Banned
So you put crazy people on a pedestal and took their word as gospel. That isn’t you judging the game on its own merits, but you judging the expectations of somebody else.
Eh, that's absolutely not what I'm doing. I'm talking about a select group of people overhyping something without any reason first and foremost. I like the game's concept for christ's sake and I find this trailer hilarious. I even already said how my wish was to see this beast of a bus (what a great pun) drive on stage and them showing off the co-op with it. ;)

Kelsey

Banned
Eh, that's absolutely not what I'm doing. I'm talking about a select group of people overhyping something without any reason first and foremost. I like the game's concept for christ's sake and I find this trailer hilarious. I even already said how my wish was to see this beast of a bus (what a great pun) drive on stage and them showing off the co-op with it. ;)

So your problem really is with every console exclusive ever.

TheOddOne

Well, you certainly do seem to be fixated on what other people’s expectations are for the game. Or it would have never really come up in your initial post and this reply. Cause why would you care what a bunch of nutjobs and their overly high expectations? I mean I don’t hold that against titles like Destiny, DriveClub, The Order and so on.

But why do you care man? There's a BEAST SOULS thread with lots of pages and talk from the fans yet I (personally not a fan of the Demons/Dark Souls series) don't feel the need to tell people why they shouldn't be excited about the game and spill some of the "marketed hype", "trying way too hard" or "overhyped" bullshit in there.

Game looks good, but any attempt at humor since Fuse has fallen flat in their marketing. Maybe it's this same voiceover guy and them trying to be in on the joke or whatever. Cringe.

Anion

I don't know how you can hate this game already lol. Some of you fellas need to take a chill pill and pretend it is the early 2000s

exotic-express.jpg

Insomniac taking notes I see

Here at Insomniac, it's party time, ALL THE TIME!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuVfMVRoFes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom