• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder |OT + RT| Psychedelic Flowers & Where To Find Them

What will SMB Wonder's metascore be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OT-banner.png

Platforms:
Nintendo Switch (Oct 20, 2023)

Overview Trailer (September 2023)

Publisher
Nintendo
Wonder-Flowers.png

Power-ups Overview

Playable Characters

Characters.png

Nabbit-and-Yoshi.png

Local & Online Multiplayer
Online.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Reviews.png

METACRITIC

MNN.png
Nintendo-Life.png
Destructoid.png
Gamespot.png
TheGamer.png
Eurogamer.png

NME.png
Forbes.png

IGN.png
Polygon.png

Last edited:
Seeing as nobody has claimed this in the OT Thread and I feel like it's guaranteed to be an absolute banger after playing through the first 3 worlds, I decided to throw a quick little something for this gem. The embargo is supposed to be over tomorrow, so get on voting!

P.S. Mods, if this is up too early or was already claimed by someone else and I didn't notice, feel free to close this thing up. I decided to combine both the Review & Official Threads seeing as how there's not much interest in Nintendo games here, for some reason, but if you feel like it's better to split them up, I'm up for it as well.

Beautiful OT

I have to continue to harp on this, but the polls would be so much more interesting if over half the choices weren't completely impossible. Under 80 should be it's own single poll option for 'low' scores. And might actually get a decent number of votes if it was done like that.

95% of votes will (correctly) choose 86-90 or 91-95 separating out those two choices into several different poll options might make it an actual difficult choice. If the goal is to just make as many people as possible feel smart for getting it right then just make 85-99 a poll option.

Last edited:
Beautiful OT

I have to continue to harp on this, but the polls would be so much more interesting if over half the choices weren't completely impossible. Under 80 should be it's own single poll option for 'low' scores. And might actually get a decent number of votes if it was done like that.

95% of votes will (correctly) choose 86-90 or 91-95 separating out those two choices into several different poll options might make it an actual difficult choice. If the goal is to just make as many people as possible feel smart for getting it right then just make 85-99 a poll option.
Aye, hadn’t thought of that, but it makes sense. To be honest, I just copied the options and general layout from the Spidy 2 RT haha but I agree, it could be more interesting to separate every option starting from 85 and up.

That being said, I geniunely think this can get a metascore of 96 or more. It’s lovely, and I hope people who are hesitant to try it because of the New series of SMB games give it a go, it’s so radically different from those games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
my copy arrived a few days early - thanks Walmart!

Been playing about 40 minutes. So far, this game is great. Personally, I'm enjoying this more than I did the "new" series of games. This feels like a proper sequel to Super Mario World, my favorite game in the franchise.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yoshi's Island would have levels with transformations and crazy visual effects that made you go WOW they put a LOT of work into that one sequence. This game is just a giant map pack of that shit -there's a different one in EVERY single level. Also the controls are tweaked to perfection.

It reminds me of all the past 2D titles at once, but not because of memberberry references, they're in its bones.

calistan

I hope people who are hesitant to try it because of the New series of SMB games give it a go, it’s so radically different from those games.
That's what's putting me off. There was a time when I'd have been all over a new 2D Mario game, but the New series and Mario Maker devalued the brand somewhat. Also, it's full price. I'd like a demo before I can really trust them again.

Reviews for Mario games are almost entirely worthless. The only way you'll ever see a genuinely honest Mario review is if Microsoft bought Nintendo.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The more I'm playing of this, the better it is. I found my first "hard" difficulty level and let me tell you - I've got my ass handed to me numerous times. Still haven't beat it, moved on, and I'll come back later. It is definitely harder than any of the Mario World "star road challenge" maps - in fact in some ways it feels like one of those intentionally hard Mario Maker maps (though not as crazy).

The game's badge system is also a really neat idea and a fun take on the formula. As you progress through the game, you can unlock different badges - and you can only equip one per stage. You can change it on the loading screen. Each badge gives you a psuedo-powerup or ability. Stuff like giving your character the "Luigi jump" from Mario 2 or letting you float at the peak of a jump. I've also unlocked one that gives you ! blocks in the stage (similar to SMW again) that typically lowers the difficulty.

Yeah, this game is something special. It's a joy to play, and you can tell they put a lot of soul into it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
my copy arrived a few days early - thanks Walmart!

Been playing about 40 minutes. So far, this game is great. Personally, I'm enjoying this more than I did the "new" series of games. This feels like a proper sequel to Super Mario World, my favorite game in the franchise.
What would you rate it at though? Does it feel Mario...y? I'm on the fence and local stores are going to be stocked up here. Help me out here.

jshackles

What would you rate it at though? Does it feel Mario...y? I'm on the fence and local stores are going to be stocked up here. Help me out here.
If you're a fan of 2D Mario games, you're going to want to get this one. For me, it's easily a 9/10 so far. It's unlikely to dethrone Super Mario World for me, but I have a feeling this one is going to be up there with the greats. Tons of whimsy, but not that weird corporatized whimsy feeling that the last few games have had. It's hard to explain, but it feels like this game was made by actual people instead of committees of investors. It feels like an old-school Mario game, as opposed to just looking like one.

Of course, I'm only still on world 2 and my opinion could change by the end of it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's weird to hear anyone hate the New Super series but somehow act excited by this one... it's clearly an iteration of the same engine, just with more animated characters (nice) and some over-the-top garishness of gradients everywhere (either nice or bad depending on your taste).

But looking at the gameplay videos this is definitely "New Super Mario Bros Switch" more than it is even close to Mario World or any of those entries. And I actually like most of the New Super series, so that isn't a knock against it--but it is a knock against being tricked into seeing this as a departure when the changes from NSMB are very superficial.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
If you're a fan of 2D Mario games, you're going to want to get this one. For me, it's easily a 9/10 so far. It's unlikely to dethrone Super Mario World for me, but I have a feeling this one is going to be up there with the greats. Tons of whimsy, but not that weird corporatized whimsy feeling that the last few games have had. It's hard to explain, but it feels like this game was made by actual people instead of committees of investors. It feels like an old-school Mario game, as opposed to just looking like one.

Of course, I'm only still on world 2 and my opinion could change by the end of it.
Feeling old as I recall playing SMW when it was new and SNES was likewise. I'll give it a go as 2D has always been my preference and I'm seeing multiplayer options. Thanks mate!

Saber

Gold Member
Geniuelly think they reinvented themselves with this one, which I guess is what happens after a bunch of borish NSMB games.
Solid 95 I would risk.

Last edited:
Yoshi's Island would have levels with transformations and crazy visual effects that made you go WOW they put a LOT of work into that one sequence. This game is just a giant map pack of that shit -there's a different one in EVERY single level. Also the controls are tweaked to perfection.

It reminds me of all the past 2D titles at once, but not because of memberberry references, they're in its bones.
That’s a great comparison — I feel like every level had a lot of work put into them, they’re full of detailed imaginery and unique models & animations that make each stage feel fresh and different from one another.

My only gripe so far is the difficulty. The “harder” unlockable stages are still considerably easier than what I’d like. Still, I’m having so much fun discovering every secret and hidden route that I don’t really mind it, sort of like the new Kirby game that just came out last year.

BlackTron

That’s a great comparison — I feel like every level had a lot of work put into them, they’re full of detailed imaginery and unique models & animations that make each stage feel fresh and different from one another.

My only gripe so far is the difficulty. The “harder” unlockable stages are still considerably easier than what I’d like. Still, I’m having so much fun discovering every secret and hidden route that I don’t really mind it, sort of like the new Kirby game that just came out last year.

I need to get deeper in the game before I judge the difficulty but so far I'm satisfied with the ramp up of challenge presented. Only up to world 4.

jshackles

Made it to world 3. Yeah, this game is legit.

I can see some merit to the complaints that this game is too easy - the elephant power-up feels really OP since you can directly attack the stuff in front of you + there is a limited range attack. This is, however, offset somewhat by the fact that your hit box is about twice the size of regular Mario. The ! badge I mentioned earlier makes a lot of the platforming sections somewhat trivial, but I'm still glad they included it as a bit of an "easy mode" for some stages, and it's 100% optional (and makes you have to give up another, better power-up). There's also, of course, the inclusion of Yoshis and Nabbit (which can't take enemy damage) that is also offset by them not being able to use power-ups at all. Every boon the game gives you seems to have at least some sort of downside. I still think its great though, it makes the game accessible to players of nearly every age and skill level.

The wonder flowers in each level are incredibly fun to find and experience. One level made the piranha plants all start singing. Another shifted the game to be top-down (like old-school Zelda). Every one is unique and there are probably about 100 levels in this game - it's kind of insane to think how much work and thought went into this game. I hope it scores high with critics, because it's absolutely deserved.

Musashipan

Game of the month for sure, unfortunately it will be battling against Totk for Goty and we know who's gonna win it again, sorry Mario

Astral Dog

I think the Metascore gonna be on the high 80s,higher than the new super Mario games but not quite that desired 90 for reasons

Who knows, it does look like Nintendo went all out with Wonder

Codes 208

I only played three levels from the demo at a target.

I fucking love this game already, its adorable and its nice being able to play as yoshi in a mainline mario game

And the newer cartoony animations are a major step up from nsmb, you can tell this game took some inspiration from the more artsy animations like spiderman ItSV/AtSV or Puss in boots

Last edited:
This game leaked on the Internet a few days ago. I'm just going to say that the shiver me timbers people who have played it all say it's great. What the Metacritic score is, who knows. Nintendo isn't a company which whores for Metacritic anyways unlike most other developers and publishers.

cormack12

Gold Member
Seeing as nobody has claimed this in the OT Thread and I feel like it's guaranteed to be an absolute banger after playing through the first 3 worlds, I decided to throw a quick little something for this gem. The embargo is supposed to be over tomorrow, so get on voting!

P.S. Mods, if this is up too early or was already claimed by someone else and I didn't notice, feel free to close this thing up. I decided to combine both the Review & Official Threads seeing as how there's not much interest in Nintendo games here, for some reason, but if you feel like it's better to split them up, I'm up for it as well.
Goodest boy.

I was hoping someone would pick it up otherwise would have been doing it tomorrow. Good OT and thanks!

Top Bottom