• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder |OT + RT| Psychedelic Flowers & Where To Find Them

What will SMB Wonder's metascore be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
That’s very interesting. I have to remind myself that I was one of those “hardcore” gamers who beat SMW in three days flat back in ‘91. That was largely why I came away feeing slightly disappointed, especially coming so soon after Mario 3. It wasn’t until I played it again five years later, and remembering to pace myself and take my time (going through the entire game over two weeks during the Summer Olympics) that everything clicked for me and recognized its genius.

Some of the secret exists are cleverly hidden, the ghost manors were always challenging, and that bonus world was super tough (but nothing I couldn’t handle over a couple hours). Overall, much easier than Mario 3, which became truly difficult by the final world, but that’s just my experience. World is probably more balanced overall between beginner and expert players.

And, of course, there’s that special thrill of skipping most of the game just to warp to Bowser’s castle right away.
I was 11 when I got the game. Took me a week to beat Bowser, but much, much more to get everything. Fortunately so as well, because my parents were probably getting desperate that I could beat a game in a week in the era of cartridges!

SMB3 was such a different beast. Very hard in some levels, but on the other hand it gave you ways to skip levels entirely. I always used the cloud to skip the maze fortress in World 8.

cireza

but on the other hand it gave you ways to skip levels entirely
You had to succeed at finishing the final level on the first time though, because if you got unlucky, the airship would eventually fly to a location before the level you skipped ^^

If they do, I hope they name the Expansion Pack "The Lost Levels", or something similar.
Understand Captain America GIF

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Perhaps I missed it, but was there a thread on this little gem of information from the latest Iwata interviews?

0uhqYGC.png

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So after finishing spiderman last weekend I thought I'd buy something for this weekend and thought fuck it, slapped down £84 for a set of vouchers and got wonder and Anouther Code remake preorder.

Started this morning and finished Mario just now, a little disappointed we didn't get Rosalina as an unlock again, I thought she was an excellent reward for 3D World, although to be fair outside of a wonder event we didn't go into space this time.

Still need to farm some flower coins to buy all the remaining yoshi standes. But everyone this else is done. Well worth the entry price but I feel like I need a little more, the special zone felt a little lacking, should have had more challanges.

Hope there's some DLC on its way, although Kirby never got anything more :(

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
In my case it didn't help much, other than presentation i think Mario U(+Luigi U) is superior platformer what a gem

Wonder is fun but it doesn't quite reach the same level
I’m with you. The home console NSMB were excellent games marred by a bad rap. U is fantastic and, presentation aside, a better heir to SM World than Wonder.

Chukhopops

I’m almost at the end, it’s decent but I really don’t get the reviewer hype about it. Once you get used to the flower gimmicks (and there aren’t that many) you just end up with a ton of short, not particularly interesting levels with absolutely zero challenge - and yes it feels even less challenging than NSMB U for example, let alone games like 3D World or 3D Land.

It’s still good and fun to play, and the overhaul of animations / graphics is really welcome but I really don’t see why this one in particular is 90+ compared to others.

Chastten

Banned
Just finished it after playing roughly 5 hours. Obviously not 100% yet but I'll probably get to that later this week!

It's a really fun game, great even, but I'm not sure I agree with all the GotY comments. Also not sure why there are so many people hating on the New Super Mario games but loving this to be honest. It just feels like a New game to me. That's not a bad thing, mind you, as I personally really like them, but yeah, I wonder why people think this game is so different from the New games. The inclusion of online is great. I played Solo mode, but with online players and that was some great fun. It did make the game incredibly easy though.

If I had to rate this, it would be somewhere between 80-85. Same as New Super Mario Bros U but below Super Mario 3D World.

JohnnyPhats

I’m almost at the end, it’s decent but I really don’t get the reviewer hype about it. Once you get used to the flower gimmicks (and there aren’t that many) you just end up with a ton of short, not particularly interesting levels with absolutely zero challenge - and yes it feels even less challenging than NSMB U for example, let alone games like 3D World or 3D Land.

It’s still good and fun to play, and the overhaul of animations / graphics is really welcome but I really don’t see why this one in particular is 90+ compared to others.
Rt86Ztj.gif

BlackTron

The Jump Jump Jump level had me feeling inept. So far I’m enjoying it, 30 years of the same formula be damned! It’s no 3D Land though, I’ll say that.
Wait until you get to the Special World version, Jump to the Beat

I came back in here to talk about these levels. The Special World is kicking my ass. I sunk 30 lives on Jump to the Beat yesterday and it still is not conquered...I've gotten near the end but always make some slip up somewhere. You really aren't allowed a single mistake.

Edit: The normal level version is nothing lol

Last edited:

protonion

I finished it fully except the final final secret level.

The first impression was very strong but sadly by the end I found it mediocre....

The art style and animation are superb. I also enjoyed the more involved map.
The music is forgettable and I'm not sure it's better than the new series.

The level design is my main issue which I found very dull.
The wonder seeds in every level got old.
Most of them aren't that interesting.
The 10% that are good could be part of the level, maybe the climax at the end.

The rest are meh and if I would ever replay the game I wouldn't touch them.

And that's the thing. I don't feel I would ever replay it. The great Mario games make me immediately delete my save file and start again. Not this one...
Gimmicks shouldn't replace traditional Mario platforming.

tommib

Got this for Christmas. Adorable. Really neat presentation and animation. Levels are all yummy. It’s so well done.

Music leaves me cold though. They should be more daring here. Tears of the Kingdom is on another level with its soundtrack and sound design.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Got this for Christmas. Adorable. Really neat presentation and animation. Levels are all yummy. It’s so well done.

Music leaves me cold though. They should be more daring here. Tears of the Kingdom is on another level with its soundtrack and sound design.
Got it for my 4 year old (alongside 3D/Bowsers Fury) - it’s fantastic!

amigastar

Finally got around to finishing this yesterday. Absolutely brilliant game and still by far my GOTY of 2023. A reminder of how games are meant to be fun and it's pure distilled joy.
Yeah, Nintendo never disappoints with their first party games. It's amazing how they can keep the quality so high after all these years.

IAmRei

4 player this in this my office, but havent finished it all yet, because we dont have much time after works together. Kind of bit chaotic sometimes, but everyone always seems happy whenever we play this game. 13/10 game for us...

Top Bottom