• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder |OT + RT| Psychedelic Flowers & Where To Find Them

What will SMB Wonder's metascore be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sleepwalker

Picked up Spiderman and this today, played a few hours of spiderman then this with the wife before bed. Absolutely adore it, cleared the first castle and a couple more worlds and couldnt help but smile.
Im not a big 2d mario fan, i havent really played them since the SNES as a kid. While spiderman was good, this game made me feel like I was back in the late 90s playing on my SNES. Thank you Nintendo.

Game looks beautiful on a 4k OLED as well I know its 1080 but still, stunning.

Neff

Where was that sheer absurd creativity since well, Mario Galaxy?

Odyssey obviously had it and 3D Land/World had it, albeit in a more subtle way. Otherwise I agree, this is certainly the flashiest, most brain juice-flexing 2D Mario we've had since the '90s and is clearly what NSMB should have been aiming to deliver since day one.

The wonder effects just seem like a normal part of the levels. I was thinking it was going to be some sort of random crazy thing that would apply new rules to the exisiting level, but it's effectively a warp pipe into a temporarily wacky but totally preset and scripted section.
As a result, it would have wasted the meticulously handcrafted level design. You can be glad it has been handcrafted as well.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Beat the main story with my kid. Loved the game. So many cool, charming moments. We went back to look for more levels as soon as we finished Bowser.

I will gladly take another Wonder game. The Wonder effect rules and I love the excitement and surprise when you get the flower and see what it has for you.

Stitch

Gold Member
The search party levels are driving me insane
crazy nicolas cage GIF

linko9

Just 100%ed the game. Can't see play time (thanks Nintendo), but I'd guess around 12~15 hrs. The length of the game is honestly a bit disappointing, compared with 3D world or Odyssey, but it's all pretty fun so can't complain too much. For a 2D Mario, I agree with people who say it's the best since Yoshi's Island, but that's the same as saying it's better than all the NEW! games.

The badges are a nice idea since it separates your movement options from your power-up status, which was a hassle in previous games. But I really just used the first badge you get for 90% of the game. The wonder seeds are a cool idea too, keeps things fresh, though only a few of them were truly "mind-bending". There's a tradeoff with having a ton of "set-piece" sections, and never fully developing a core skill-set that you use from level to level, but I think Mario can get away with this since we've all played so much 2D Mario that that skillset has already been established. Still I'd say the two main features of the game are OK, not amazing.

Music is fine, but not in the top half of Mario games. Visuals are a huge step up from NEW! games, but a lot of assets still have that sort of plasticky look that the 3D games have never suffered from.

Disappointed in the "end game" content basically being a single hard level. 3D world is the only falgpole-based mario that did this well since SMW though. The final badge you get is pretty fun for like a minute, but compare that to SMW— an entire new set of dragon coins in every level, a new color palate and sprite set for some enemies... I wish we could see that again!

calistan

As a result, it would have wasted the meticulously handcrafted level design. You can be glad it has been handcrafted as well.
Sure, I think either I misunderstood the comments and reviews about the wonder effects, or people have somewhat misrepresented it. (The Nintendo review effect.)

You just grab one of those flowers and you get a short segment that's slightly different from the main level. I thought it would be an "effect" like reverse gravity, make you extra tall, turn you into a giant enemy, etc. All of which happen, but in the exact same place every time.

The best one for me is still the piranha plants singing like they were in Loco Roco. More of that, please, and less of the 30-second trials that seems to far outnumber the proper levels.

Astral Dog

beat some of the special world levels so here is a mini review just because 🤭

Super Mario Wonder never ceases to amaze, its full of creativity and innovative design, the details in the animation alone are a huge improvment over the previous console games,sometimes the fans will appreciate i can't believe im saying this but they fit 3D Mario's production values in a 2D game, something i never expected to see, you also don't see much repetition in the Wonders themselves, each level feels unique because of that.

The artstyle and Music are good as well, while sometimes it might look overtly bright and garish,i can't ignore the many details and it mostly works well,all classic themes yet they gave them a new coat of paint the soundtrack is great as well, one of the most varied in the 2D series,previous games had the habit of repetition while Super Mario Wonder gives you a little more, and all are fun catchy themes or cool remixes here is my new favorite tune ,it sets the mood perfectly

That said i have an issue with this game and its in the difficulty, for those like me who have been playing 2D Mario bros and other platformers for so many years, most of Super Mario Wonder content will feel like a breeze, its not boring since you will always find something new to look at, or a new gimmick but unfortunately its always dissapinting when its king Mario, i believe the best platformers provide some challenge to test the player, i don't mean Souls hard but a good balance and Mario Wonder is definetly on the easier side, for newcomers and casual fans it won't matter,but for oldtimers like me im very nitpicky Nintendo went for the broadest audience possible(im also not a huge fan of the special levels since they always feel a little cheap lol, wich is why i prefer when the campaing is stronger)

With some dissapointing bosses (or lack of) holds back Wonder a little, in terms of say, "fun" i prefer the classic style levels in Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country games and Super Mario Bros 3 👌 ,and would rate those games above super Mario Wonder

No doubt Nintendo made something special here though, its gonna be praised as the fresh change the series needed
good foundation for even stronger sequels

8.5 /10 i guess

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Awesome game but 3D Land without 3D? The levels were designed around the feature.
Iirc, there was only a handful of puzzle rooms that absolutely needed 3D to be visualized correctly.
The rest could be played without stereoscopic 3D.

It’s a bit of a missed opportunity that Nintendo republished 3D World without also porting 3D Land. I guess they thought Bowser’s Fury would fully justify the price tag for the 3D World port. I think 3D World is a fantastic game and much more creative than Wonder, but 3D Land as a pure platformer is amazing. 3D Land is kind of a 3D SMB3.

BlackTron

Iirc, there was only a handful of puzzle rooms that absolutely needed 3D to be visualized correctly.
The rest could be played without stereoscopic 3D.

It’s a bit of a missed opportunity that Nintendo republished 3D World without also porting 3D Land. I guess they thought Bowser’s Fury would fully justify the price tag for the 3D World port. I think 3D World is a fantastic game and much more creative than Wonder, but 3D Land as a pure platformer is amazing. 3D Land is kind of a 3D SMB3.

Even when the 3D wasn't absolutely needed, the game was still made around the feature, for things like judging jumps and long falls. Just saying I can see why they don't want to do it. The hardware they have now doesn't really do its main gimmick justice.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just started last night while watching the Eagles beat the Dolphins.

Only played the first few stages, but I like the change up during the levels.

Gotta laugh how there’s always these happy little kingdoms getting into trouble with Bowser.

Andyliini

Just finished World 3, and so far so good. I have a question though: How can I reach hidden stages in World 3? I can see some tracks behind a wall, but can't reach them. The stage select screen does not show any hidden exits either.

Robb

Gold Member
Finally got my copy today! Been playing through the first couple of stages. The animations in this are so soooo good. Everything just oozes playfulness.

It’s been very easy thus far (expected early on, but still) and both the levels and wonder effects feel very brief/short imo. My favorite thus far is definitely the singing piranha plants, that really changed my perception of what to expect going forward.

It’s a lot of fun!

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
3D Land is so underrated. It's way better than 3D World (which I do enjoy). I am desperate for a port of the former on the Switch because my 3DS no longer charges up.
100% agree.

3D Land nailed the Mario look so much better than anything I've seen from Wonder. Clean lines, primary colors, no noise or junk added in visually to distract from the platforming. 3D Land / World are the true heirs to the classics on NES/SNES, far more than something like Wonder even if they weren't 2D.

mario3d.png
900x.jpg
900x.jpg

Astral Dog

It'd be a dream scenario for me if they treated this game like MK8. Constantly adding new levels and such. Make it evergreen for the next half decade+ while we wait for the next one.
Hmm well both NSMB2 and NSMB U got expantions so we will see, this being a late Switch game may change things

Astral Dog

100% agree.

3D Land nailed the Mario look so much better than anything I've seen from Wonder. Clean lines, primary colors, no noise or junk added in visually to distract from the platforming. 3D Land / World are the true heirs to the classics on NES/SNES, far more than something like Wonder even if they weren't 2D.

mario3d.png
900x.jpg
900x.jpg
Im a fan of 3D land and 3D World, but those were heavily criticized (by fanboys) at the time for sticking to the 2D roots you may be out of luck

Now that 3DMario has returned to the "open" formula with Odyssey , Super Mario Wonder is the best you are gonna get

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Im a fan of 3D land and 3D World, but those were heavily criticized (by fanboys) at the time for sticking to the 2D roots you may be out of luck

Now that 3DMario has returned to the "open" formula with Odyssey , Super Mario Wonder is the best you are gonna get
Sadly I find both of those to be regressions for their franchises:

3D World (and the Galaxy series as well) was generally a much better game than Odyssey. I don't mind the open worlds a bit, but I absolutely hate the lack of design cohesion, or throwing in elements like a dinosaur in a Mario level. It makes it jarring and ugly, instead of being focused on the distinctive style of the Mushroom kingdom.

3D World / Land are also both much better games than New Super / Wonder, in every way.

calistan

My nine-year-old daughter is really enjoying two-player mode, so that's a definite plus. She's terrible at it though, and I frequently lose her off the edge of the screen because she fell or got stuck.

She doesn't like it when we get to a new area and we're forced to visit that flower guy in his house. "It's so boring, it's just a chest and a load of talking". I guess it's there to explain why the seeds you collected in the last area are no longer valid, but press X to skip would have been welcome.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
3d land is a incredible game. 3d world just didn't nail it for me. This is amazing so far. If it's short I hope they add dlc. It's too good to miss.
I liked 3D World, but 3D Land was (as in Land series style) wackier and better suited for single player gaming. It is sad not to have had a true open 3D Mario on the console as even 3D Land showed what glasses free 3D could do for platformers where you have true depth perception.

Such a fun little gem :).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sadly I find both of those to be regressions for their franchises:

3D World (and the Galaxy series as well) was generally a much better game than Odyssey. I don't mind the open worlds a bit, but I absolutely hate the lack of design cohesion, or throwing in elements like a dinosaur in a Mario level. It makes it jarring and ugly, instead of being focused on the distinctive style of the Mushroom kingdom.

3D World / Land are also both much better games than New Super / Wonder, in every way.
Galaxy had the same level of design cohesion as Super Mario Odyssey (even SM64 had different worlds with different themes), but sure the Dinosaurs bit was a tad off putting, balanced by an otherwise gorgeous and great game.

Sunshine had the cohesion you seem to want, but it was poorer as a result as it resulted in not the kind of variation I expect from Mario games…

Top Bottom