• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder |OT + RT| Psychedelic Flowers & Where To Find Them

What will SMB Wonder's metascore be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astral Dog

my God this game is pure insanity!

I only have one real issue ,and that is the boss battles what, you don't even fight for the Royal seed at the end of each world?,kinda underwhelming and the others are just Bowser jr.fights, the airship thing is ok in concept but pathetically easy i know 2D Mario isn't known for its challenging or memorable bosses,but this is below that and im surprised Nintendo was ok with this

Its not something hard to fix though, i bet Nintendo saved something for sequel 🤷🏻‍♂️ i hope the final boss makes up for this somewhat

Million dollar question, is the OST better than that utter garbage we have gotten from the NSMB games over the past two decades?
Its not some amazing orchestra like Super Mario Galaxy , but i was worried about this as well, can say its a lot better than the New series thanks to actually varied compositions ,music never gets boring since there are way more pieces and they are all pretty good ,catchy tunes its how a 2D Mario should sound

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Holy shit lol! I had missed one Wonder seed in Angry spikes and sinking pipes in W1. Now I found it. Goddamn another massive smile on my face!
Another singing number! Yessss!
Never be afraid to do weird shit if you are missing a seed hahaha

Last edited:

BlackTron

Hard to dash + jump at the same time. I can only be pressing one of those buttons at the same time, hard unless you claw your way
When Nintendo first got a 4-button controller they moved the A/B function to B/Y probably because it was a better/more natural scheme, no claw or contortion required. I'm glad this game allows the option and I'm not here to tell you how to play, but I'm surprised the default makes no sense? It's SMW! I'm so used to it, that if for example I play a Game Boy game that uses A/B on 4 button controller I need to remap it to B/Y or else I'll make a mistake (A/B is okay, but muscle memory and all that).

With A/B, you're using the sides of the same thumb to cover both buttons. With B/Y, the top of your thumb is always on Y to run, leaving the middle of the thumb floating over B to jump. A huge number of 2D platformers use this B/Y scheme for jump/attack the same way Mario does (the run button is also the fireball button).

jorgejjvr

When Nintendo first got a 4-button controller they moved the A/B function to B/Y probably because it was a better/more natural scheme, no claw or contortion required. I'm glad this game allows the option and I'm not here to tell you how to play, but I'm surprised the default makes no sense? It's SMW! I'm so used to it, that if for example I play a Game Boy game that uses A/B on 4 button controller I need to remap it to B/Y or else I'll make a mistake (A/B is okay, but muscle memory and all that).

With A/B, you're using the sides of the same thumb to cover both buttons. With B/Y, the top of your thumb is always on Y to run, leaving the middle of the thumb floating over B to jump. A huge number of 2D platformers use this B/Y scheme for jump/attack the same way Mario does (the run button is also the fireball button).
I didn't grow up with Mario world. This just seems very clunky to me. I might have to remap my controller

BlackTron

I didn't grow up with Mario world. This just seems very clunky to me. I might have to remap my controller

The key is that you aren't really moving the position of your thumb to hit both buttons. It pretty much stays firmly planted in place while you move the joint to hit B.

If you do need to change, you shouldn't need to remap the controller. I know I saw it in-game somewhere, did you check the usual pause and options spots?

BlackTron

Just did the first world. This for me is looking to be the best 2D Mario ever. SMB3 held it for the longest. Never was a fan World 1 and 2.

I got the same impression on the first world. Near the end of the game, it's hard for me to say it tops 3. To top 3, I would ask for a bit more difficulty and little more "breathing room" of standard Mario level between Wonder effects. Not with less Wonder effects, but by adding level.

Easily the best 2D thing since Yoshi's Island and stands with 3 and World. Better? IDK man. Later game they begin to flirt with the kinds of puzzles in levels 3 had. It made me realize to top 3 you would have to bring a lot more of that instead of make it a fleeting idea -make it a Mario game you sink your teeth into and get stuck in (again, like 3).

Edit: BTW the difficulty isn't a serious issue. It isn't baby easy either. I'm talking small tweaks I would make to help an almost perfect game top the King.

Last edited:

Isa

It's shocking how lifeless and lackluster the New Mario series was in comparison. Legit shocking.

Angry Wrestling GIF
cat sitting GIF

Big Trouble In Little China Reflexes GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

Astral Dog

I got the same impression on the first world. Near the end of the game, it's hard for me to say it tops 3. To top 3, I would ask for a bit more difficulty and little more "breathing room" of standard Mario level between Wonder effects. Not with less Wonder effects, but by adding level.

Easily the best 2D thing since Yoshi's Island and stands with 3 and World. Better? IDK man. Later game they begin to flirt with the kinds of puzzles in levels 3 had. It made me realize to top 3 you would have to bring a lot more of that instead of make it a fleeting idea -make it a Mario game you sink your teeth into and get stuck in (again, like 3).

Edit: BTW the difficulty isn't a serious issue. It isn't baby easy either. I'm talking small tweaks I would make to help an almost perfect game top the King.
It has the same problem as some of the 3D games, there is no point imo in having ** difficulty levels after World 2, as good as it is,2D Mario needs good challenge in the campaing, Wonder is on the easier side

Not a huge deal since the levels themselves are always offering something new and unteresting to see, but many feel like short turorials before moving on to another thing

Still a cool game, the Yoshi dragon thing had me 🤣 😁👏

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just finished up World 1, having a blast. One complaint: it seems like it hands over primary control to whomever has the crown? Well, when you’re playing with a 5 year old who insists on having their Nabbit logo on the flag…it gets a bit frustrating. Not sure if there’s a way to turn that off or regain camera control.

Reactions: Isa

Krathoon

Yeah. They kind of changed the pipes now. They are not like elevators anymore. They don't pull and push when they go into them.

Krathoon

Just a funny anecdote: I bought Mario at Target and the game jockey seemed a bit salty that more copies of Mario sold there than Spiderman.
lol. The classics always win out. People will always go for the friendlier and simpler game. Spiderman has a whole learning curve.

Is this Mario in Mario Wonder the same Mario as in Mario odyssey? As in, the same canon/continuity? Maybe he’s just on a random adventure?

Darko

Finally unbricked my Switch and booted it up this morning. Holy shit if the second level is any indication this is going to be amazing, huge smile on my face when that thing happened
edit:never mind spoilers

Last edited:

IAmRei

first time i boot it, last night. played it with my friend in my tv, and looks great already, there are a lot of surprises. i can feel the devs are really put into the design. also the visual is very enjoyable.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Finished the first two worlds and it has been wonderfully charming. Made it to a special challenge stage and I said nope.

BlackTron

It's shocking how lifeless and lackluster the New Mario series was in comparison. Legit shocking.

The only way to make this better would be to make it look exactly like the original 90's art but moving, thick black lines and all, Cuphead style. So it's literally the Mario from the sticker on World or 3, in-game. Yoshi's Island and Paper Mario flirt with how good this could be.

K' Dash

The only way to make this better would be to make it look exactly like the original 90's art but moving, thick black lines and all, Cuphead style. So it's literally the Mario from the sticker on World or 3, in-game. Yoshi's Island and Paper Mario flirt with how good this could be.
200.gif

Last edited:

calistan

I'm enjoying this so far, but it's no Super Mario World. It looks beautiful, the music is outstanding, and the new creatures are fun, but the game seems a bit sparse. I mean, you unlock a new area on the overworld map but there are maybe three actual levels in it, plus some minor challenges that may be just a single screen, or a place where you just get gifted a seed. Where's the rest of the game?

The wonder effects just seem like a normal part of the levels. I was thinking it was going to be some sort of random crazy thing that would apply new rules to the exisiting level, but it's effectively a warp pipe into a temporarily wacky but totally preset and scripted section.

The talking flowers - holy shit, those are annoying. Turned the voices off very quickly, and got a 'was it something I said?" comment on the menu screen, which was a nice touch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom