• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder |OT + RT| Psychedelic Flowers & Where To Find Them

What will SMB Wonder's metascore be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Osthyvel

Is it worth to take online for this? My subscription ran out for a couple of weeks ago. I like splatoon 3 online to, so then i can play that to...

Just 100%ed the game. Can't see play time (thanks Nintendo), but I'd guess around 12~15 hrs. The length of the game is honestly a bit disappointing, compared with 3D world or Odyssey, but it's all pretty fun so can't complain too much. For a 2D Mario, I agree with people who say it's the best since Yoshi's Island, but that's the same as saying it's better than all the NEW! games.

The badges are a nice idea since it separates your movement options from your power-up status, which was a hassle in previous games. But I really just used the first badge you get for 90% of the game. The wonder seeds are a cool idea too, keeps things fresh, though only a few of them were truly "mind-bending". There's a tradeoff with having a ton of "set-piece" sections, and never fully developing a core skill-set that you use from level to level, but I think Mario can get away with this since we've all played so much 2D Mario that that skillset has already been established. Still I'd say the two main features of the game are OK, not amazing.

Music is fine, but not in the top half of Mario games. Visuals are a huge step up from NEW! games, but a lot of assets still have that sort of plasticky look that the 3D games have never suffered from.

Disappointed in the "end game" content basically being a single hard level. 3D world is the only falgpole-based mario that did this well since SMW though. The final badge you get is pretty fun for like a minute, but compare that to SMW— an entire new set of dragon coins in every level, a new color palate and sprite set for some enemies... I wish we could see that again!
This confirmed every fear and doubt I have about this game.. 🫤 Sounds super disappointing to me.

bender

What time is it?
Nice to see 3D Land get so much love in this thread. The lack of difficulty might turn some folks off, but that's really the only complaint I would levy against it. It is easily one of my favorite Mario games to go along with World and Galaxy.

xandaca

I've effectively completed the game, with just the very final section of the final-final level to brute force my way through, and while I've enjoyed it very much, reviews comparing it to the likes of Mario 3 or Mario World, for instance, are missing the mark on what made those games so important and special, and falling for how this game's significantly more appealing aesthetics than NSMBU mask a very similar game under the bonnet, the inverse of how that game's strengths were diminished by its flat visuals.

Fundamentally, the 'Wonder' sections don't change much about what modern 2D Marios were already doing, that is basing individual levels around one-off mechanics. Wonder makes it more pronounced and gives each an individualised coat of paint, a layer of charm present throughout which goes a long way, but it also means those one-off mechanics feel more confined to 30-second sections rather than being given whole levels to breathe. NSMBU, for instance, was famously structured to introduce a mechanic then test the player with more challenging implementations as levels progressed until one final test prior to the flagpole. The 'Wonder' sections mean the game can't do that as effectively: given a signficant chunk of (usually) the end of a level has to be reserved for a one-off trick, the levels surrounding them tend to be much easier and less tightly structured. On the bright side, that's part of what makes the game feel more replayable as progression in each level is less controlled and thus more like a canvas for the player to make their own fun and explore. On the downside, the only truly memorable parts tend to be the Wonder sections, further lessened by the lower difficulty. I generally don't like overly-challenging games, but NSMBU felt like it got the balance right while this is a significant step back - even the final-final level I haven't finished yet is only really difficult because of two of its ten sections, especially the insane spike for the final one. It's also worth noting that the much vaunted 'organic' transitioning from regular level to Wonder sections - as opposed to dropping down a pipe to initiate little one-off challenges - is also largely meaningless as the Wonder flowers often have their own section of levels anyway (sometimes even teleporting you back at the end) or are necessary for progression, while the little puzzles hidden down pipes continue to exist regardless.

The thing that made Mario 3 and SMW so enduringly revolutionary is that each changed the way you interacted with the genre in a fundamental way. SM3 took SMB's left-to-right progression and added verticality, the ability to move backwards, plus a world map for some freedom in terms of the order in which you tackled levels, as well as opportunities to bring items into them from the start via Toad houses and Hammer Bros, plus an extra layer of exploration (breaking rocks on the world map to access hidden areas, for instance). SMW took the world map and made it the focus of the game, where the goal was not simply to get from World 1 to the castle in World 8, but to go back into previously beaten levels to find all the hidden exits, treats (like the brilliant one-screen stage allowing you to choose your own power-ups) and eventually even the ultra-concealed special zone. In that respect it had something of the Metroidvania about it, taunting you with unopened paths or unaccessed worlds to go back and find what you missed.

Wonder's world map, sadly, continues the significantly stripped down implementation from the 'New' series. Yes, you have more choice courtesy of some small free-movement sections, but there are no meaningful secrets to be found and the special zone equivalent is not even a secret at all, just a signposted divergence from the progression path of each main world. The badges are Wonder's biggest missed opportunity because they offered the chance to do what SMW did in making each level highly replayable by offering alternate routes depending on what you'd unlocked, but in a more uniquely interactive way (SMW only really used the coloured block palaces to offer alternate routes). Having paths and secrets only be accessible via certain badges would have made each level more rewarding to revisit and each badge meaningful in a way they really aren't as things are. I used the parachute hat - the first badge acquired - for 99% of the levels I played because other than for specific circumstances like water levels, most badges' only use in a level is as an additional but functionally unnecessary move, and the parachute hat I found the most generally useful. To be clear, the map is, on the whole, an improvement over those in the New games, but Wonder teases the possibility of an implementation as innovative and possibly even richer than the NES/SNES-era games, only to completely fail to follow through with it. Whether that's the game's obvious fear of alienating less experienced players by keeping the difficulty low - and in this case, trying not to challenge them by suggesting they might be missing out on something - or a lack of vision, it's the game's biggest failing by far.

Smaller nitpicks include flower coins being abundant to the point of redundancy, as I effectively had the maximum for my entire playthrough and was always able to clear out a shop in one go and replenish my stock by the end of the world at the latest. An ongoing regular coin count, and higher shop prices, would have been more efficient than adding a superfluous extra currency. As well as being far too easy, the boss fights being exclusively against Bowser Jr are a rare instance of the game not appreciating the importance of aesthetic variety: Mario bosses have always been simple and a bit dull, but their appearance adds a bit of variety that falling back on Bowser Jr does not. Even so, the worlds which do not have an end-boss fight feel anti-climactic even if the fights which exist aren't very good: having something is better than having nothing, and Bowser Jr is sadly only one step up from nothing when he does appear.

Despite every previous paragraph focusing on something wrong with the game, I'd like to emphasize that this is because of how frustrating it is that Wonder gets so close to genuine greatness only to fall short. The NSMB games felt so generic that it was easier to compliment the things they got right, like U's outstanding level design, because their copy-paste appearance set expectations low out of the gate. Wonder is significantly more charming to look at, more consistently fun to play, in small parts more surprising than its predecessor and thus, its flaws feel magnified because of how much it immediately gets right. NSMBU started weakly and improved as you came to realise the subtle nuances that made the underlying game better than it initially appeared. Wonder starts extremely strongly but diminishes once you realise it isn't going to achieve all the possibilities its underutilised mechanics present. It is the best 2D Mario since Yoshi's Island (if that counts - SMW if not) but that feels almost by default: SMB, SMB3 and SMW - arguably even the Game Boy games - remain on a completely other level in terms of experimentation, innovation and the implementation of their fundamental ideas. By comparison, Wonder's magic feels like an illusion that wears off over time rather than anything destined to endure across generations like its most genuinely wonderful predecessors.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve still got a ways to go I think but I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by the enemy variety in this. Some very fun stuff.

I also really like the challenges/races/search party stuff. Very nice change of pace.

Boss battles have been the biggest letdown thus far I think.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I've effectively completed the game [snip]
Excellent post. I agree almost on everything, except that I think the home console NSMB games are top-tier platformers that got a bad rap for reasons unrelated to their quality.

What I regret the most about Wonder is the lack of difficulty progression dictated by a) the semi-open exploration and b) the obvious intent from Nintendo to make these games as appealing as possible for the broadest audience possible. Their push for accessibility at all costs is the main reason several of their games in the last decade weren’t the best they could be. NSMB got progressively more difficult as it went on; Wonder doesn’t. Not only that, but Wonder is full of one-shot smaller trials that can be completed in way less than a minute by any moderately skilled player and have no incentive for replay. The time limit has been removed too, and while some are celebrating this, I think this makes things unnecessarily easier. The time limit was never that strict to begin with, and it made for some amazing challenges in Luigi U.

What’s baffling is, Luigi U was released ten years ago, and Nintendo revealed that the development team of Wonder was given no deadline to complete the game. I mean, no deadline and they released this? I haven’t counted, but sometimes the badge challenges and the intermission levels feel more abundant than the regular levels. So I think something doesn’t add up here. Either there’s some very hefty DLC coming for this game, or they have effectively already made SM Wonder 2 and it‘s going to be an early title for Switch 2, even if it wouldn’t make a lot of sense considering Nintendo’s usual release schedule for Mario games.

Make no mistake: Wonder is a very good game. The thing is, it feels lacking. It was hyped as something it isn‘t, and after playing through it twice in a few days, I can safely say this isn’t the Switch’s swansong, because that’s either TOTK or another 2023 Nintendo game you may like better than Zelda. SM Wonder is definitely a second-tier game, and falls into the list of games meant to carry the Switch over the transition to Switch 2. The production values are outstanding and definitely a good foundation for the future. The craft is unmatched. But the scope of the game feels amiss.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Probably going to cave and buy it, but in.exchange, Nintendo, you must release all switch 2 info on Dec 20th. By then all presents are bought.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What’s baffling is, Luigi U was released ten years ago, and Nintendo revealed that the development team of Wonder was given no deadline to complete the game. I mean, no deadline and they released this? I haven’t counted, but sometimes the badge challenges and the intermission levels feel more abundant than the regular levels. So I think something doesn’t add up here. Either there’s some very hefty DLC coming for this game, or they have effectively already made SM Wonder 2 and it‘s going to be an early title for Switch 2, even if it wouldn’t make a lot of sense considering Nintendo’s usual release schedule for Mario games.

Many of the same devs (notably Takashi Tezuka) moved onto the Mario Maker games. And to be honest, I think Mario Maker is a far better contribution to the franchise… at this point I’d rather they stopped with these 2D games since they’ll never go as bold as a SMW again, and create more Mario Maker toolkits (we finally got world maps in the last one, but they could add much more to that layer) with their own creative world packs built in or as DLC.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Many of the same devs (notably Takashi Tezuka) moved onto the Mario Maker games. And to be honest, I think Mario Maker is a far better contribution to the franchise… at this point I’d rather they stopped with these 2D games since they’ll never go as bold as a SMW again, and create more Mario Maker toolkits (we finally got world maps in the last one, but they could add much more to that layer) with their own creative world packs built in or as DLC.
I didn't spend much time on Mario Maker 1, and I skipped 2 completely. It's surely a great tool, but it predictably got the loudest buzz from the user-made Kaizo-like levels and the bunch of YT personalities that loved to lose their mind on those. One friend of mine spent hours watching those videos, but I'm pretty sure the time he spent actually playing the game was very limited.

I guess the ridiculous popularity of NSMB Wii forced Nintendo's hand at making the series somewhat more friendly and to focus on the multiplayer aspects. Problem is, they keep forcing those features down everyone's throat. The multiplayer-tied collectibles (stickers, etc) being a prerequisite to 100%ing the games is the worst kind of achievement implementation imaginable. I also didn't really care for those "friends plazas" or whatever's their English name in SM Wonder, especially the first one with its invisible block. I guess the piss-easy trials are there to help the most casual gamers reach the Wonderseed quota needed to advance in the game.

I'm conflicted about the game being so lenient. Most egregious example: if you get a purple coin, it's yours forever, even if you die before completing the level. I don't think I'd have it in me to 100% something like Yoshi's Island these days without a feature like this or savestates, but at the same time, everything feels really too easy in Wonder.

I wish I could judge Super Mario World without the nostalgia goggles, but as things are, I can't help thinking it's still the best thing they ever did with the formula. Themed worlds where the theme went beyond just scenery. Complex mazes. A sprawling map with dozens of secrets. Excellent difficulty progression. Great use of verticality with actual flying, not just floating to make things easier. Superb underwater levels. The only thing I don't like in SMW is Vanilla Dome, and the one thing I would change is the bosses. Apart from that, it's still the quintessential Mario for me.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Nice to see 3D Land get so much love in this thread. The lack of difficulty might turn some folks off, but that's really the only complaint I would levy against it. It is easily one of my favorite Mario games to go along with World and Galaxy.
My only complaint is, like most Mario games, it doesn’t get challenging until the post-game…and then it felt highly repetitive to complete. But it was fun as hell.

Wonder is its own thing with how whacky and interesting all of it gets. I hope there’s DLC where it expands on some of the one off things.

Scotty W

Gold Member
So I think something doesn’t add up here. Either there’s some very hefty DLC coming for this game, or they have effectively already made SM Wonder 2 and it‘s going to be an early title for Switch 2, even if it wouldn’t make a lot of sense considering Nintendo’s usual release schedule for Mario games.

Make no mistake: Wonder is a very good game. The thing is, it feels lacking.
I am almost finished, and I am reminded of how I felt playing through the first 8 works of SM3D Land. “Amazing. That’s it?”

Of course, I then learned that I was about a third of the way through. But here? A few days of casual play, very few deaths, and it is almost finished.

You are right. Something is fishy.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The good thing about playing along with a 5 year old is I’m pacing myself. The bad thing about playing along with a 5 year old is I’m playing along with a 5 year old.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
And those 4 guys taught the other people on the team how to make a game fun. Yamauchi must have been so amazed when he hired Miyamoto and saw what he could do. Changed the whole direction of that company.
Well to be frank, Miyamoto took some time to become Nintendo's prodigy. His first console-only game was Devil World, not exactly Nintendo's greatest. It was 4 years between Donkey Kong and SMB, then 3 more years between SMB and SMB3 which was arguably Nintendo's finest hour before Sonic came to steal Mario's lunch.

Also, it's doubtful Yamauchi was ever amazed by anyone, lol. The guy was made of pure steel and didn't look like the type to congratulate anyone. Miyamoto made some good money for him, that's for sure.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
before Sonic came to steal Mario's lunch.

Sonic is cool and all, but I really don't think the two games compare. Sonic did sell a lot of genesis consoles, but there has never been a Sonic game on the level of SMB3, SMW, SMOdyssey, SMW, SMGalaxy, and the like. Sonic is a lot of fun, but in the end Nintendo learned and improved on everything. Sonic has spent years middling around in the doldrums.

Astral Dog

I am almost finished, and I am reminded of how I felt playing through the first 8 works of SM3D Land. “Amazing. That’s it?”

Of course, I then learned that I was about a third of the way through. But here? A few days of casual play, very few deaths, and it is almost finished.

You are right. Something is fishy.
Hmm, well to give them some credit, the amount of visual assets, animations,gimmicks like the Wonder flower is way higher than i seen in 2D Mario games, even if the levels themselves are shorter, i appreciate all the new enemies, they give more personality to this game and they aren't just visual changes either but their behaviour is unique

I assume that's what took Nintendo most time,and needed polish thats why they laser focused rather than making the most fleshed out Mario game

This is like the first entry in a "new" line of Mario games the next game should be like a nsmb-->nsmb wii jump at the very least

cireza

Sonic is cool and all, but I really don't think the two games compare. Sonic did sell a lot of genesis consoles, but there has never been a Sonic game on the level of SMB3, SMW, SMOdyssey, SMW, SMGalaxy, and the like. Sonic is a lot of fun, but in the end Nintendo learned and improved on everything. Sonic has spent years middling around in the doldrums.
Back then Sonic games were just as good as Mario games. Sonic 1,2,3&K were largely up there in terms of quality standards, while implementing much more complicated physics than Mario, and much more impressive visuals and animation. More elaborated music as well. These games were largely at the level of quality of Mario games. It is fine to prefer Mario, of course, but Sonic didn't steal half of the market share of Nintendo with inferior games.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Back then Sonic games were just as good as Mario games. Sonic 1,2,3&K were largely up there in terms of quality standards, while implementing much more complicated physics than Mario, and much more impressive visuals and animation. More elaborated music as well. These games were largely at the level of quality of Mario games. It is fine to prefer Mario, of course, but Sonic didn't steal half of the market share of Nintendo with inferior games.
They did it with marketing. Games were just OK. Genesis had a cool factor that they built in with their marketing. Sony used the same tactic with PS.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I didn't spend much time on Mario Maker 1, and I skipped 2 completely. It's surely a great tool, but it predictably got the loudest buzz from the user-made Kaizo-like levels and the bunch of YT personalities that loved to lose their mind on those. One friend of mine spent hours watching those videos, but I'm pretty sure the time he spent actually playing the game was very limited.
The kaizo bits are just one niche, so you miss out by skipping over the game as a whole.

I've been simply delighted by so many brilliant levels in Mario Maker (particularly 2)... frankly, the peaks are way higher than any level to date in the NSMB line, and I don't just mean due to craziness or over the top design. I might brilliantly well made, straightforward but smart levels in the Mario 3 style and Mario World style. There are also countless puzzle-based levels that use Link in particular, and many of them are pure joy.

It's the Mario Maker retro-creativity (within the framework of the best engines like M3 and SMW) that made me lose interest in anything like Wonder.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sorry, that was a bit equivocal on my part.
I meant to say that Sonic came and stole the spotlight from Mario for a few years, not that Sonic games competed in any way with Mario games. I’m firmly in the “Sonic was never good” camp, and that’s me being moderate.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Coming into the party slightly late - but enjoying the game enough to offer my thoughts:

1) Overall just a fun game. It's Mario, you can't go wrong.

2) Love how Nintendo is just good at making everything a little tiny game. The collectibles are not just there, but rather challenges you to use the theme of the level to grab them. This includes even the frigging flagpole at the end. That's good design. Love it.

3) Stages for me a tad too short. It's like, you get the wonder seed, you enjoy the craziness of the level, but it's way too short. I'm in world 4 - so perhaps the follow up end game adds a little bit more to it. Also, the 1-3 star stages are too easy. I DID have fun with the 5+ star difficulties though. Those made me happy to be a gamer. Hoping for more of those.

4) Skimming through the comments, I see that the game overall may be on the short side too. That's unfortunate - because as I am halfway done through the game, that anxiety looming over your head of, "oh man I'm having fun with this game, but is it almost over already?" feeling is there.

5) Badges are cool - adds a little bit more replayability.

Haven't tried multiplayer just yet - I'm sure my nephew is going to love it though.

Well to be frank, Miyamoto took some time to become Nintendo's prodigy. His first console-only game was Devil World, not exactly Nintendo's greatest. It was 4 years between Donkey Kong and SMB, then 3 more years between SMB and SMB3 which was arguably Nintendo's finest hour before Sonic came to steal Mario's lunch.

Also, it's doubtful Yamauchi was ever amazed by anyone, lol. The guy was made of pure steel and didn't look like the type to congratulate anyone. Miyamoto made some good money for him, that's for sure.
This is not quite how it went down. Donkey Kong was Miyamoto's first game which was huge right out the door, pushing him to no 1 designer immediately and he worked on many NES games after that. Yamauchi was always looking for innovation. He hired Miyamoto because he saw creativity in him. But yeah he hit jackpot on that hire, and was made of pure steel yeah I'll give you that.

I meant to say that Sonic came and stole the spotlight from Mario for a few years, not that Sonic games competed in any way with Mario games.
Sonic was popular for a bit, especially in the UK. But I don't think he ever managed to steal Mario's spotlight :p

calistan

They really don't want anybody being unable to finish this! I just did the lava area, and several times when I thought I'd unlocked a new level it was yet another house where you talk to a flower dude and he gives you a seed.

I know it has some really well hidden secrets but I miss the old Super Mario World way, where getting to the end of a level was the main challenge. Here it's almost like they're going to walk you to the end, but you can come back later and make your own fun if you like.

Last edited:

Synless

Ok, so I’m on world 5 or so and I will say the art style is still NSMB but with more character animation and life. The environments are the same damn style, anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

Fun game though, kids love it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This is not quite how it went down. Donkey Kong was Miyamoto's first game which was huge right out the door, pushing him to no 1 designer immediately and he worked on many NES games after that.
It’s exactly how it went down though. Between DK and SMB1 Miyamoto wasn’t responsible for games that made history and that people still like to play today. Yeah, the original arcade Mario Bros. enjoyed some success, but the only reason it’s still talked about is what Mario became with SMB and subsequent games. Pretty hard to substantiate Miyamoto’s genius reputation with his 1982-1985 resume. After SMB1, yeah, no question.

Impotaku

At least make me work for it, like press a button to bop his block or something. Getting it for free devalues the whole concept of seed.
Go there with your trunk full and blow all over it to make him open up. You even get a rainbow over you both as you do it lol

It’s exactly how it went down though. Between DK and SMB1 Miyamoto wasn’t responsible for games that made history and that people still like to play today. Yeah, the original arcade Mario Bros. enjoyed some success, but the only reason it’s still talked about is what Mario became with SMB and subsequent games. Pretty hard to substantiate Miyamoto’s genius reputation with his 1982-1985 resume. After SMB1, yeah, no question.
His genius reputation was established with his first game, DK, which was incredibly radical at the time. A genius isn't expected to produce hits every year even today let alone in the early 80s. I get what you're saying though, that a reputation is only really established after a succession of provable hits.

Robb

Gold Member
There’s something special about silhouette levels.. I really enjoy them in this one. Gives me (Retro Studios) DKC vibes.

Cleared. Beat the last end boss and cleared Special World except for the secret Final Final level that requires all flag poles and all flower coins.

This game was pure magic. If you've forgotten why it is you became a gamer, this game will serve as an, uh, wonderful reminder. Every level overflowed with creativity and imagination, from the singing Piranha Plants at the start to the rhythm game final boss at the end. This game reminds you that gaming is supposed to be about joy and having fun instead of whatever gaming often is about these days.

As I watched the ending and then had one last time to see all of the games many mechanics during the credits sequence, I was remembering the child I once was playing Super Mario World for the first time. It's been more than 30 years since Super Mario World and Nintendo has still got it.

I’ve found myself complaining about the difficulty in Wonder but I’m getting my ass handed to me over there now.. Definitely shows that I haven’t played 2D Mario in quite some time.
It was weird realizing that I had not touched a 2D Mario game in at least a decade but I started Wonder up and my hands immediately knew where to place themselves on the controller

Now I'm finding out they actually made Wonder without knowing anything about what would be in the movie, I guess somehow it worked out that Bowser was a musician in the movie and he's a rhythm game final boss in this game. There's just something about Bowser that makes people associate him with music I guess, especially rock. I mean, Bowser is pretty fucking metal if you think about it

Last edited:

Emedan

Been sick all week so haven't been able to pick this baby up. Quick question to you boys, I understood it like there's no full on Coop MP online, only Locally, is that correct?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Cleared. Beat the last end boss and cleared Special World except for the secret Final Final level that requires all flag poles and all flower coins.

This game was pure magic. If you've forgotten why it is you became a gamer, this game will serve as an, uh, wonderful reminder. Every level overflowed with creativity and imagination, from the singing Piranha Plants at the start to the rhythm game final boss at the end. This game reminds you that gaming is supposed to be about joy and having fun instead of whatever gaming often is about these days.

As I watched the ending and then had one last time to see all of the games many mechanics during the credits sequence, I was remembering the child I once was playing Super Mario World for the first time. It's been more than 30 years since Super Mario World and Nintendo has still got it.

Super Mario World has one of the all-time great videogame endings, one that celebrates the boundless magic and creative energy sparkling through its circuits. Wonder has much of that energy as well and it’s a testament to Nintendo’s game design skills.

I do hope these old masters remember to write down everything they know to pass along when they finally retire. Their knowledge and skills are truly unsurpassed.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I’ve found myself complaining about the difficulty in Wonder but I’m getting my ass handed to me over there now.. Definitely shows that I haven’t played 2D Mario in quite some time.

I remind myself that Super Mario World was often criticized for being too easy back in 1991 , especially as it arrived in the US only 18 months after the epic Super Mario Bros 3. Nintendo’s best games are less about the challenge and more about the experience.

The Jump Jump Jump level had me feeling inept. So far I’m enjoying it, 30 years of the same formula be damned! It’s no 3D Land though, I’ll say that.

Last edited:

The_hunter

Been sick all week so haven't been able to pick this baby up. Quick question to you boys, I understood it like there's no full on Coop MP online, only Locally, is that correct?
There's a ghost coop online mode with random people. It's very good and seamless.

You can race with friends. No clue if there is regular coop with friends online.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Oh yeah, after wrapping up Wonder my thought was, “OK Nintendo, just release the Mario rhythm game you’re obviously been sitting on for a while”, lol.

I remind myself that Super Mario World was often criticized for being too easy back in 1991 , especially as it arrived in the US only 18 months after the epic Super Mario Bros 3. Nintendo’s best games are less about the challenge and more about the experience.
World was challenging, though. The secret exits were very well hidden, the ghost houses were real puzzles, and the special levels were brutal. World 4 onward was a real gauntlet.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Oh yeah, after wrapping up Wonder my thought was, “OK Nintendo, just release the Mario rhythm game you’re obviously been sitting on for a while”, lol.

World was challenging, though. The secret exits were very well hidden, the ghost houses were real puzzles, and the special levels were brutal. World 4 onward was a real gauntlet.

That’s very interesting. I have to remind myself that I was one of those “hardcore” gamers who beat SMW in three days flat back in ‘91. That was largely why I came away feeing slightly disappointed, especially coming so soon after Mario 3. It wasn’t until I played it again five years later, and remembering to pace myself and take my time (going through the entire game over two weeks during the Summer Olympics) that everything clicked for me and recognized its genius.

Some of the secret exists are cleverly hidden, the ghost manors were always challenging, and that bonus world was super tough (but nothing I couldn’t handle over a couple hours). Overall, much easier than Mario 3, which became truly difficult by the final world, but that’s just my experience. World is probably more balanced overall between beginner and expert players.

And, of course, there’s that special thrill of skipping most of the game just to warp to Bowser’s castle right away.

MacReady13

Coming into the party slightly late - but enjoying the game enough to offer my thoughts:

1) Overall just a fun game. It's Mario, you can't go wrong.

2) Love how Nintendo is just good at making everything a little tiny game. The collectibles are not just there, but rather challenges you to use the theme of the level to grab them. This includes even the frigging flagpole at the end. That's good design. Love it.

3) Stages for me a tad too short. It's like, you get the wonder seed, you enjoy the craziness of the level, but it's way too short. I'm in world 4 - so perhaps the follow up end game adds a little bit more to it. Also, the 1-3 star stages are too easy. I DID have fun with the 5+ star difficulties though. Those made me happy to be a gamer. Hoping for more of those.

4) Skimming through the comments, I see that the game overall may be on the short side too. That's unfortunate - because as I am halfway done through the game, that anxiety looming over your head of, "oh man I'm having fun with this game, but is it almost over already?" feeling is there.

5) Badges are cool - adds a little bit more replayability.

Haven't tried multiplayer just yet - I'm sure my nephew is going to love it though.
Love love LOVE this game, but I agree with some of these flaws. Levels are a tad too short. Game is definitely on the easier side (minus a few of the later "special" levels) and it is a short game. 2 more worlds would've been spectacular and put it even if not even ahead of Super Mario World! As it stands, it's a classic but a short classic that I wish was a tad longer and harder. Still my fav game of the year so far though. Nintendo magic is impossible to replicate.

baphomet

Threw my back out yesterday, so I've been laying in bed the last 2 days mostly playing this. It's super good, but a bit too easy, and kinda short for a Mario game.

Outside of I think about 25 standees, I've 100% everything else in those 2 days.

Top Bottom