• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERMAN VS BATMAN delayed until May 6th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Probably has something to do with the script.

First thing I thought of. Or they could be wanting to do a two for one deal. Film Man of Steel 2 and the first Justice League film together if MoS2 was suppose to lead into it. The word was that a number of cameos were suppose to be in the film. It would be better to just everything together and they would need extra time to plan that out I think.

This delay is disappointing though. I wanted to see Batman vs Superman/Man of Steel 2 more then any other film in 2015. Even more then Star Wars.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Have we seen anything from Gadot as Wonder Woman yet?
How do you even know that she's going to be terrible?

She is a terrible actress so it stands to reason that she will be terrible.

It's like hiring a surgeon who is already known for having twitchy fingers and not knowing how to handle a scapel and then expect them NOT to murder everyone who winds up at their table.

Honestly, if they really can't find someone decent to play Diana then they should scrap the character for now and try again once the Justice League film comes along.

Prompto

Banned
So Disney/Marvel are going to dominate the summer blockbusters 2 years in a role (2014-2015). C'mon Warner Bros/DC, get your shit together!
Eh most likely Amazing Spider-man 2 and Days of Future Past will do better than Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy since they're releasing in bigger box office weekends. Unless you're counting them as marvel.

I don't see anything beating Avengers 2 in 2015 though.

Dai101

Banned
I don't believe Superman was in TDKR. I also don't recall Batman in MoS so I don't see what your point is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470005&highlight=avengers

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm

Worldwide: $1,518,594,910

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batman3.htm

Worldwide: $1,084,439,099

Then:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman3.htm

Worldwide: $1,215,439,994

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Worldwide: $668,045,518

Just for fun:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=thor2.htm

Worldwide: $632,441,762 Not bad for such an "non iconic" super hero.

An-Det

It's disappointing, but not hugely surprising. It's got to be incredibly difficult to put this cohesively together and in a way that puts a solid foot forward for a DC cinematic universe (especially doing it this way rather than the way Marvel did it), so I'm glad they're willing to push it back if it means a better overall output.

Nyanmaruz

Eh most likely Amazing Spider-man 2 and Days of Future Past will do better than Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy since they're releasing in bigger box office weekends. Unless you're counting them as marvel.

Yeah I meant Marvel as a whole.

Tabby

She is a terrible actress so it stands to reason that she will be terrible.

It's like hiring a surgeon who is already known for having twitchy fingers and not knowing how to handle a scapel and then expect them NOT to murder everyone who winds up at their table.

Honestly, if they really can't find someone decent to play Diana then they should scrap the character for now and try again once the Justice League film comes along.

Based on no footage from BvS?

That's a terrible analogy.
It's more like having a student doing terrible one exam and then saying he'll do terrible on the next exam. It's not guaranteed he'll do terrible again and he might've had his reasons.

I don't know, if they don't introduce Wonder Woman now there's always a possibility of JL being a clusterfuck. They haven't introduced Green Lantern, Flash and whoever else in the lineup. It'll only confuse the audience.

KissVibes

Banned
If I was a betting man, I'd say this movie gets retitled as JUSTICE LEAGUE ORIGINS by the end of this year. Gonna be such a clusterfuck.

It would be hilarious to me if Guardians of the Galaxy was a bigger draw than Man of Steel.

IconGrist

All you showed me is that without a 3D release TDKR nearly matched Avengers' and Iron Man 3's gross and the first movie in the DC Cinematic Universe still beat out Thor 2.

I can post numbers too. Using your same source let's look at MoS' numbers compared to the first movies in the MCU.

Man of Steel Box Office Gross (Worldwide) - $668,045,518

Iron Man B.O. Gross (Worldwide) - $585,174,222
Thor B.O. Gross (Worldwide) - $449,326,618
Captain America B.O. Gross (Worldwide) - $370,569,774
The Incredible Hulk B.O. Gross (Worldwide) - $263,427,551

So Batman by himself nearly did Avengers numbers without 3D as I said and then you throw Superman into the mix whose first movie outdid the different 'firsts' in the MCU I don't think Marvel can compete. Now, that being said, depending on the quality of BvS there could be a considerable drop in expectations for Justice League. I won't deny that at all but a good Batman/Superman movie I am confident will outperform any Marvel outing.

ReiGun

I still say WB, if they really are trying to commit to DC properties, would be better off just making some damn movies instead of bothering with this shared universe shit. Minority opinion, I know, but I think it'd serve them better in the long run than chasing Marvel's coattails out of some misguided sense of obligation.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the delay has to do with the script. The last bit of news suggested it was only going to be a touch up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a wholesale rewrite.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the movie side of WB should look at Arrow on how to make an awesome shared universe.

It's funny a low budget tv show on the CW (of all things) has done a shitload better job at establishing a shared universe with exciting possibilities than Man of Steel.

Alienous

They should just stop and make a real Man of Steel 2.

This film is building up to be horrible, and it'll probably set the DC Cinematic Universe back 12 years.

jackdoe

It's disappointing, but not hugely surprising. It's got to be incredibly difficult to put this cohesively together and in a way that puts a solid foot forward for a DC cinematic universe (especially doing it this way rather than the way Marvel did it), so I'm glad they're willing to push it back if it means a better overall output.
The way the press release and article is written, it sounds like there's about a three month delay to the start of production which means three more months to get that script and cast in order. After that, they give ten extra months towards post production.

I feel that if they wanted to release in 2015, even with production pushed back three months, they could have done it. Either with rushed CGI and a July 2015 release or tighter CGI and a Winter 2015 release. Both options probably didn't sound that great to WB so they just pushed it back to the year after. It sounds similar to the Man of Steel delay from December 2012 to June 2013.

Caboose

All you showed me is that without a 3D release TDKR nearly matched Avengers' and Iron Man 3's gross and the first movie in the DC Cinematic Universe still beat out Thor 2.

I can post numbers too. Using your same source let's look at MoS' numbers compared to the first movies in the MCU.

So Batman by himself nearly did Avengers numbers without 3D as I said and then you throw Superman into the mix whose first movie outdid the different 'firsts' in the MCU I don't think Marvel can compete. Now, that being said, depending on the quality of MoS there could be a considerable drop in expectations for Justice League. I won't deny that at all but a good Batman/Superman movie I am confident will outperform any Marvel outing.

So making 500 MILLION DOLLARS less is nearly matching them? Okay buddy.

Namikaze1

Better to take their time instead of rushing it out. And they really need to replace Goyer with a competent writer. Also, lol at Superman vs Batman making $2 billion. The movie will cross the $1 billion mark easily but won't come close to making it to $2 billion.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So Batman by himself nearly did Avengers numbers without 3D as I said and then you throw Superman into the mix whose first movie outdid the different 'firsts' in the MCU I don't think Marvel can compete.

"Nearly." "Without 3D." Comparing the 1st or 2nd most famous superhero in the world's new movie to the movies that literally educated the mainstream movie audience as to who the hell Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are. Those goalposts are practically on wheels.

Now, that being said, depending on the quality of MoS there could be a considerable drop in expectations for Justice League. I won't deny that at all but a good Batman/Superman movie I am confident will outperform any Marvel outing.

I wouldn't be confident about that at all at this point, but it's probably something we'll never know for sure given the key word in that statement is "good." MoS made a lot of money on the back of being a Superman film, but a significant chunk of the audience disliked it. The question becomes more about whether Batman can lure that chunk back to the theater again with the same writer and director at the helm, rather than any comparison to Marvel.

Dai101

Banned
So Batman by himself nearly did Avengers numbers without 3D as I said and then you throw Superman into the mix whose first movie outdid the different 'firsts' in the MCU I don't think Marvel can compete. Now, that being said, depending on the quality of BvS there could be a considerable drop in expectations for Justice League. I won't deny that at all but a good Batman/Superman movie I am confident will outperform any Marvel outing.

UCPX7as.jpg
[/IMG]

Bwah ha ha

Superman barely beat Thor. Fucking Thor. Not to mention it came out in November two weeks before two of the biggest domestic releases of the year. And it's a movie about Thor.

jackdoe

"Nearly." "Without 3D." Comparing the 1st or 2nd most famous superhero in the world's new movie to the movies that literally educated the mainstream movie audience as to who the hell Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are. Those goalposts are practically on wheels.
Let's be honest here: comparisons between the first Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man movies to Man of Steel are as useless as comparing Man of Steel to Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. In the former comparison, you are comparing, as you mentioned, an established hero to less established heroes. In the latter comparison, you are comparing a reboot to a movie franchise that bombed years ago to two sequels to one of the highest grossing movies ever. These comparison serve no purpose other than to rile up fanboys.

Showaddy

Fucking lol at thinking Superman scraping past Thor 2's box office is somehow really good. It's fucking Superman.

Edit: And being $500 million shy of Avenger's gross isn't close to matching it, 3D or not.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Let's be honest here: comparisons between the first Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man movies to Man of Steel are as useless as comparing Man of Steel to Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. In the former comparison, you are comparing, as you mentioned, an established hero to less established heroes. In the latter comparison, you are comparing a reboot to a movie franchise that bombed years ago to two sequels to one of the highest grossing movies ever. These comparison serve no purpose other than to rile up fanboys.

Agreed. At this point it's pretty much impossible for anything resembling a "fair" competition between the Marvel and DC film franchises.

IconGrist

I wouldn't be confident about that at all at this point, but it's probably something we'll never know for sure given the key word in that statement is "good." MoS made a lot of money on the back of being a Superman film, but a significant chunk of the audience disliked it. The question becomes more about whether Batman can lure that chunk back to the theater again with the same writer and director at the helm, rather than any comparison to Marvel.

I'm confident about it but I agree there is no real way to know until it actually happens. I'm not betting on any horse as I've enjoyed every recent DC/Marvel movie so far (except IM3 but that's a different conversation lol), I just want quality movies.

The 10 month delay is good in my opinion. I'd rather they not rush the movie just to go head on with Avengers 2. Probably wa not an easy decision to make.

Namikaze1

Iron Man, a B-list super hero, unknowned by the mainstream public, grossed $585 million without 3D. Superman (Man of Steel), the most famous of all superheroes, grossed $668 with a 3D release included. That should tell you something.

ReiGun

Pretty much. Even the idea that the two are only in direct competition with each other in the movie space is just an excuse for fanboys to be fanboys.

IconGrist

I think a lot of you are forgetting the Superman movies that came before Man of Steel. Superman Returns, Superman III and IV. Not to mention the mess that Smallville was. These are not exactly movies that inspired confidence in the Superman movie franchise. Man of Steel doing poorly with critics in the end and the movie still made a decent amount of money.

I'm not defending a failure nor am I claiming MoS was some massive success. Just that it did really well considering the "Superman is boring" stigma he has these days.

jackdoe

the movie side of WB should look at Arrow on how to make an awesome shared universe.

It's funny a low budget tv show on the CW (of all things) has done a shitload better job at establishing a shared universe with exciting possibilities than Man of Steel.
Ironically, WB would probably have been running the DC side like that had Green Lantern turned out decently. It didn't and that set WB/DC back a few years. They lost confidence and many projects were cancelled (like that Flash movie from the Green Lantern creative team).

Good, The thing was a train wreck in the making and maybe we get news that Affleck and Gal have left the project.

Hahahahaha let me catch my breath DC.

God I am so done with this company as a whole.

DC is such a fuck up when it comes to their movies.

Affleck will be fine, but they need to fire the Wonder Woman chick and replace her with a legitimate actress. I don't mind them hiring a beanpole, but it at least needs to be a beanpole that can act.

you people are what's wrong with the internet.

Hero

It amuses me you think this. The two biggest iconic comic book characters in history in the same live action movie for the first time and you believe anything Marvel can do would top it is hilarious. BvS could be a total shitfest and it would still do better than any Avengers movie.

Haha, what? Thor 2 is beating Man of Steel worldwide. Fucking Thor. Batman vs Superman will be lucky to make it to the billion dollar mark.

you people are what's wrong with the internet.

Man of Steel sucked and everything we knew about this project sounds like a disaster.

jett

D-Member
Guess they couldn't fast track it. Weird though. I assume the screenplay is hopefully being retooled.

I wonder how much money it's costing WB/DC to delay this movie.

Not as much as they stand to lose with relaunching their biggest superhero franchise (and their entire expanded universe of blockbusters) on a bad script. Or pissing off their new Batman by strong-arming him into starring in said bad script.

BadAss2961

Sucks, but Man of Steel did just come out last summer. 3 years is the standard gap, and the movie will only be better because of the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom