• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Tokyo Game Show story trailer (+pre-order Mystic Artes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when they say you have 1 human and 3 tenzoku with only 2 partcipating in battle, they mean that you can only have one tenzoku out but you can switch them out in the middle of battle. I'm pretty sure there is footage of them doing this.

Rpgmonkey

Maybe the shop rank is similar to Graces' stamp system?

Only eating at inns sounds weird. Maybe food effects last longer or you can stack them unlike the Xillias? IDK.

I think Graces is what they're taking from for shops. As far as I've seen they're unique. I didn't really like the idea though because shops only have so much stuff, you end up having to buy swords over and over or something to level them up. :/

Cooking is also kinda weird in this game because there's two major categories of food. There's the stuff you eat at inns, and party members can also make snacks which I assume works anywhere. The Inn food seems to work like in Graces, where it'll activate before/during/after a battle depending on its activation conditions, their example of a snack effect is a stat buff. Doesn't sound as fun to set up as recipes in the Eleth Pot, but we'll see if they manage to get the two to work together in interesting ways...

Taruranto

I prefer main healer character to be a cute girl. Oh, well.

cM6TxHw.jpg

Close enough.

Kasumin

Really hope this is considerably better than Xillia.

Considering that Xillia was released unfinished, I assume that mechanically Zestiria will automatically be better since I'm assuming it's a finished product.
Xillia's world was way more appealing to me, though.

I'm waiting on import impressions on this. Then again, the localization is probably far enough out to give me plenty of time to decide on whether or not I want to get this.

demidar

Yeah, there are some real stinkers in that list.

Shop ranks are dumb, but I'm interested in that item fusing system which sounds a bit like synthesis in Graces f. Same with that eating can only be done in inns nonsense. They need to provide massive bonuses to entice anyone to keep up with that nonsense. That "Can only have a balanced number of humans and Tenzoku" party is super dumb and artificially restricts party composition (best hope is for a Grade store item that turns that shit off). I wonder if that also means there won't be any Nakariki dolls?

Battle Acts and Support Talent seems like it could be good, but I'd have to see it first hand to confirm. And now we get 2 (3?) gauges to juggle so that's nice.

Datschge

And now we get 2 (3?) gauges to juggle so that's nice.
The battle system is sounding really, really tasty (aside the whole broken multiplayer/2 human + 2 Tenzoku limit mess):
- Spirit Chain allows for anything between (at high SC) an defensive (strong defensive, weak offensive, fast recovery rate, high activation rate of bonus effects) or (at low SC) offensive (vice versa) approach.
- Blast Gauge is like a "you do too bad, so you get to do cool stuff" gauge, so there is the choice in exploiting the battle system correctly (an advantage in itself) or doing badly but (potentially) getting more access to Fusion and Battle Acts bonuses.
- Consistent linking is being rewarded: Reduced SC consumption for linking Tokugi attacks. Increased damage for linking Ougi attacks. Increased stagger time for linking Tenkyoujutsu. Any linking additionally reduces casting time, so casters should gain immensely from an unbroken chain.
- Hitting weaknesses reduces spent SC by 30% and increases damage, hitting a resistance on the other hand lowers damage and slows down the SC recovery rate.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm going to play QWOP 4 player with each player pressing 1 button in preparation for Zestiria multiplayer.

Datschge

Falk, you glorious troll. =D

Doesn't Zestiria have multiplayer? I always play my Tales of Games with a friend.
Ever played Xillia 1/2 battles with more than 2 players? Zestiria's broken multiplayer is already predictably even more restricted than X1 and possibly comparable to X2.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Warner Music, that is publishing the soundtrack (http://vgmdb.net/album/49509) to the game in February, is advertising it with a video interview with one of its composers (I expect them to do one with the other one as well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23f0Vughk4

RalchAC

Ever played Xillia 1/2 battles with more than 2 players? Zestiria's broken multiplayer is already predictably even more restricted than X1 and possibly comparable to X2.

Well, I see the fusion system as an evolution of the links in Xillia. And I actually find it better. Inrstead of linking with everybody you only link with tenzouku.

So at least you should be able to play 2 player Co op without worrying that your friend would be kicked off you link with him.

Datschge

Well, I see the fusion system as an evolution of the links in Xillia. And I actually find it better. Inrstead of linking with everybody you only link with tenzouku.

So at least you should be able to play 2 player Co op without worrying that your friend would be kicked off you link with him.
Yes, 2 players, if the 2nd player sticks with the second human, if there is a second human in the team at all, that is...
The team selection limitations a gross compared to Xillia 1 (which even allowed to swap char in and out of the team), doesn't affect single player much, but with more players you run into restrictions even faster now in Zestiria. Still somewhat better than the single player Chromatus in Xillia 2 I guess.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Did they secretly removed Alisha as the main Heroine? Unless they're planning to do a Hearts and have her absent for the first 1/4 of the game.

Speaking of Alisha, if she's unable to gattai with the Tenzoku, what's her special ability?
coughshe'llturnintoadragoncough

RalchAC

Yes, 2 players, if the 2nd player sticks with the second human, if there is a second human in the team at all, that is...
The team selection limitations a gross compared to Xillia 1 (which even allowed to swap char in and out of the team), doesn't affect single player much, but with more players you run into restrictions even faster now in Zestiria. Still somewhat better than the single player Chromatus in Xillia 2 I guess.

If there is something that I really liked in Xillia was being able to swap party members on the fly. I didn't like when Xillia 2 removed it.

The human characters are Sorey, Alisha and Rose, right?

Did they secretly removed Alisha as the main Heroine? Unless they're planning to do a Hearts and have her absent for the first 1/4 of the game.

Speaking of Alisha, if she's unable to gattai with the Tenzoku, what's her special ability?

Have you seen the OVA?
It finishes with Alisha leaving the Tenzoku village. Sorey and Mikleo deduct that the bad spirit that looks like a Fox is going after her and decide to follow her.

Maybe that dude
kidnaps her and the king, which could be his father, gives him the task to save her after he gets that magical sword that is inside a rock.
Or something like that. It's cliched, but it's Tales. So it could happen.

coughshe'llturnintoadragoncough

She's the real traitor.

Have you seen the OVA?
It finishes with Alisha leaving the Tenzoku village. Sorey and Mikleo deduct that the bad spirit that looks like a Fox is going after her and decide to follow her.

Maybe that dude
kidnaps her and the king, which could be his father, gives him the task to save her after he gets that magical sword that is inside a rock.
Or something like that. It's cliched, but it's Tales. So it could happen.

Ah okay... ^^;

Mendrox

Edit: Forgot to mention, Warner Music, that is publishing the soundtrack (http://vgmdb.net/album/49509) to the game in February, is advertising it with a video interview with one of its composers (I expect them to do one with the other one as well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23f0Vughk4

Yes we played Xillia 1+2 together and it was fun. More than two people doesn't work with this system, but 2 players are fine.

So it looks like Slay's and Rose's kamui forms just looks differently. What a shame though expected.

lol at the Tipo umbrella

Those Blue Exorcist outfits are too good.

装甲悪鬼村正;148158182 said:
Oh shit, only two days until release, almost forgot. I'm actually really looking forward to this because it feels like an eternity since the last Tales- game came out.

Not too long

Aeana

装甲悪鬼村正;148158182 said:
Oh shit, only two days until release, almost forgot. I'm actually really looking forward to this because it feels like an eternity since the last Tales- game came out.

Two whole years! But it's been longer since the last Tatsuro Udo Tales. 2009.

kewlmyc

Two whole years! But it's been longer since the last Tatsuro Udo Tales. 2009.

So I take it that the person who developed the Xillia/Vesperia combat is probably working on the game to be released after this one? They alternate and whatnot.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ended up ordering a copy. I've been wanting to play something new and lengthy for a while that isn't a HD remaster, so here we are.

Mifec

mfw I'm not a nihongojiner and will never be able to enjoy games unless they are translated while everyone else who knows Japanese/is from Japan will be able to enjoy them
J55qosH.png

Why live friends?

Real talk though, everyone who is getting the Japanese copy, will you share your impressions in a thread?

Datschge

So I take it that the person who developed the Xillia/Vesperia combat is probably working on the game to be released after this one? They alternate and whatnot.
I feel there is no real alternating anymore (though there are enough to create new groups).

The battle programmers of Vesperia haven't been seen since. Battle planning for Xillia 1 was done by the Vesperia lead planner (Kenji Anabuki) who returned as director for Xillia 2. On programming side battles had support by an newbie (Masaya Ito, possibly from Arc Rise Fantasia), the battle programmer for Narikiri Dungeon X (Masahiro Fuke), the assistant battle programmer for Destiny PS2 and Graces (Hirokazu Kagawa) and a long time Namco support programmer on Tales games (Takahiro Yamase). For Xillia 2 Fuke did battle planning, Yamase battle programming, the Nakiri Dungeon X support battle planner (Naoto Takizawa) was support battle programmer, and Tatsuro Udo was among the general support planners. Kagawa was likely already working on Zestiria at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom