• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 "player numbers" took a dive lately. Reason speculated is bots being offline.

I put it in quotes, because according to Teamwork.tf the player numbers haven't dropped, it just the inflated number on Steam due to idler/trading/farming bots has gone and we're seeing TF2's true player numbers.

https://teamwork.tf/community/statistics

c0d712dd_o.png

Before everyone starts acting like the sky is falling, just hear me out. It's a lengthy post, so skip on to the TL;DR below if you want to get straight to the point.

TL;DR: We've known for a while now that steam stats inflated player count with idle bots/afkers, teamwork.tf more accurately displayed concurrent users within TF2. TF2 has nearly double the average player count it did when it was only a year old. Even taking this "drop" into account, it's the 3rd most played F2P game on Steam and consistently Top 15. Compared to other "hero/class" shooters on Steam, TF2 is still the king with 20k-35k. Take into consideration that TF2 is now over a decade old, and it's holding out better than newer "hero/class" shooters on Steam like Paladins, Quake Champions, Lawbreakers etc

Can confirm, our method of player counting at https://teamwork.tf/community/statistics/ shows no drop whatsoever in player counts during the periods Steam reports a downfall. This confirms that this drop is only caused by Steam clients that were not playing the game anyway.

This also proofs that a huge part of the player stats consists out of idlers/trading bots/farming bots alone. Makes me wonder how inflated the numbers for other Source games are considering this.

Still doing good though.

Last edited:

Angry Fork

I don't get how this game is still going when there's like 2 decent 32 player east coast server's left and only one of them is always populated. Every other server are Valve servers which are trash with people who don't know how to play and only original maps. I would love so much if this game were still popular because I spent so much time on it and miss it but I have no idea how there are even 20k people on it unless they're all relatively new players on Valve servers.

Grimmrobe

There is a large and dedicated competitive community for this game. It's not going to be dying out any time soon.

Shift!

TF2 has a growing community of modders and content creators, it soaks up 15% of what people deem to be profitable resources in content creation on Steam. I don't see the game going anywhere near abysmally low numbers for a long time, but this was interesting to say the least.

Top Bottom