• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teasers & Full Trailer for Showtime's new horror series, 'Penny Dreadful'

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
That Cast and Crew... Showtime

tumblr_mlp29qg5C91rkj8fwo1_400.gif

Hari Seldon

People ragging on showtime haha. All I know is, I sub Showtime year round while HBO is only seasonal. So they must be doing something right.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Even if starts strong Showtime will no doubt keep it running well past when it should end. Fuckin' Showtime.

Will watch the first season, and they bail out. It's showtime after all.

C'mon now. Just because Dexter and Californication turned to shit and the executives heavily meddled with Homeland, that doesn't mean that the entire channel is shit. They've still got some good stuff going.

C'mon now. Just because Dexter and Californication turned to shit and the executives heavily meddled with Homeland, that doesn't mean that the entire channel is shit. They've still got some good stuff going.

I have high hopes for Penny Dreadful but Dexter was so awful its nearly soured me on the network. That's how bad it was man!

It didn't turn awful untill S6 though and after that we still got one good season.

All four of those seasons had serious missteps. Forgetting about Rita, Lumen, Debra ignoring them, all of season 6, killing off Isaak well before the ending and with the 'phantom arsonist', and then all of season 8

Once Treme ends Shameless will be better than anything on HBO, though I hope True Detective ends up being great.

The Showtime hate is overblown.

Ray Donovan is garbage as is House of Lies (but my hate of Cheadle is probably clouding my judgement of that show). They have a lot more misses than hits in my opinion.

Anyway, Shameless is good, so there's that and Masters of Sex might turn into something interesting...for at least a season or two.

Ekdrm2d1

It was pretty hit and miss... But Deer Woman and Cigarette Burns were great. Deer Woman was hilarious and would have made a great solo series, honestly.

Hey! A fellow person who knows about MOH.

Cigarette Burns was tremendous. The banned from TV episode Imprint was cool too.
All classics, IMO.

How about The Damned Thing?

From wiki
"Penny Dreadful is an upcoming psychosexual horror TV series created for Showtime by John Logan and executive produced by Logan and Sam Mendes."

What?

Did Masters of Horror get dull?

It was incredibly hit and miss. some episodes were great, some were downright terrible. I put that down to the writers/directors behind the individual episodes more than blaming Showtime.

I'm basing my general hate towards Showtime on shows like Dex, Homeland, their decision to cancel Borgias, the last two seasons of Nurse Jackie.

Cigarette Burns was tremendous. The banned from TV episode Imprint was cool too.
All classics, IMO.

Was that the first episode of season 2? Sean Patrick Flannery and the oil demon thing? As far as I remember, it was good, but I wasn't a fan of the ending.

From wiki
"Penny Dreadful is an upcoming psychosexual horror TV series created for Showtime by John Logan and executive produced by Logan and Sam Mendes."

What?

Means that Eva Greene will get naked but it'll get real weird.

All classics, IMO.

Quite like The Damned Thing. Two of my all time favourite episodes (apart from cigarette burns) were Pelts and The Screwfly Solution. Honourable mentions go to Fair Haired Child, Black Cat and Washingtonians.

Quite like The Damned Thing. Two of my all time favourite episodes (apart from cigarette burns) were Pelts and The Screwfly Solution. Honourable mentions go to Fair Haired Child, Black Cat and Washingtonians.

Its a shame there weren't more seasons off that show. Plus it had a fantastic opening sequence

Its a shame there weren't more seasons off that show. Plus it had a fantastic opening sequence

It really is. I wonder what happened that they decided to not to continue. Also bummed that Masters of Italian Horror is dead in the water, that really could have been something special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33U_uWOOmN0

Yep, still as good as it was back in '05.

I guess we'll see her naked in pilot.

Let's hope so.

On a more serious note, I hope she actually attempts to act in this and doesn't phone it in like she did in Camelot.

G-Fex

Yeah, Dorian Gray ain't a horror or spooky book in the least. If the show is weaving a lot of stories together into one narrative, Dorian would probably make for a good, grounded central character.

That'd be great.

I remember browsing cable and saw that the horror channel I forget it's name, had Dorian Gray movie on. It was something made recently, I'm gonna laugh if they changed it into some straight to dvd horror movie lol.

That'd be great.

I remember browsing cable and saw that the horror channel I forget it's name, had Dorian Gray movie on. It was something made recently, I'm gonna laugh if they changed it into some straight to dvd horror movie lol.

It's actually not a bad movie, there's no horror elements (well until the very end and even then it's not horror).

Check it out if you can, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Showtime has shows that start great... and then shit the bed in a horrific and violent disease-like way. Weeds, Dexter, Homeland.

Can't disagree there. I stopped watching Dexter after season 3(season 2 was horrible) and Homeland season 2 was kinda disappointing. I've never seen Weeds so I can't comment there. I'll stay cautiously optimistic for this show. It has an interesting premise.

Akahige

I got The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie flashbacks when I heard about this but it has Eva Green so I can't not watch it.
Eva Green was awful in Camelot, even if she did whip out her pepperoni nips.
Did they CGI her nipples to make them smaller on that show? There was something off about that scene.

Wiktor

man how could you not hate on S5.

Because it was well made season. It just didn't measure up to previous ones and people got pissed with the ending. But it still was entertaining and well made on it's own. It's not like S6 or 8 which were genuinely awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom