• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 location test announced for October, runs at 50% visual quality, ~20 chars

Pachimari

For anyone wanting a Heihachi avatar:

qtDmUKQ.jpg

CSX

I want Tekken to make money and be popular as ever.

Its one of the games that got me into gaming.I don't want to be super niche and difficult cuz "e-sports".

Tekken makes boatloads of money by sheer fact that they get arcade operators to buy brand new expensive arcade machines everytime a sequel comes out. IIRC they even had a system for Tag 2 where arcade operators have to pay a subscription fee to keep their machines running.

And as to your last sentence, Tekken has always been the more difficult fighting game compared to its peers. Some argue that it's the most difficult modern franchise. However the only time it has ever underperformed in console sales is Tag 2 which one of the reasons why is that the game got so complicated that not even the hardcore can keep up.

A return to 1v1 fighting and that next-gen smell will be reasons as to why it will return back to being a success. If it doesn't, well it is the "final" battle after all and we can wait 5-6 years for a reboot :p

Its one of the games that got me into gaming.I don't want to be super niche and difficult cuz "e-sports".
I found tekken to still be easy and fun to play even without messing with the advanced mechanic. I've played tekken 6 without learning bound, and tt2 without learning the tag combos and other mechanic and I still can play pretty good against friend who do learn those mechanic. Sure I lose more than I win, but I'm not destroyed or anything. Although I didnt mess with online

Believe me, when TK7 is released for PS4 and XB1 it will be anything but niche. It will be one of the first (if not THE first) fighting games built from the ground up for the new gen. It's also a numbered main-line release. There's absolutely no chance for it to be niche or hardcore-only.

Right now TK7 is in the same stage that almost every single iteration before it went through:

Announcement - Reveal - Early location test (that's where we are right now) - months of news in Japanese publications such as Arcadia magazine - more location tests - Arcade release - hundreds of hours of video content uploaded to YT by Japanese pro players - Console talk. ---and that's when Namco will start advertising this to the console crowd and casual players in the West.

ZeroX03

Banned
Not surprised at October, fits the pattern very well.

For those who are wondering, it usually takes 3-12 months from full arcade release to consoles. Very good chance this will hit Holiday 2015.

Shredderi

Already in a playable state? I'm guessing they've been working on it longer than previously thought. I've been dying to see footage of a new (hopefully) current-gen only fighting game. Then again, if it's been worked on for a good amount of time, I guess it is possible that they started development last-gen consoles in mind. God I hope not.

Kain

I like when they announce games and a couple of months later we get to see/try them. I guess I am used to games being announced and then going dark for years to come xD

Pachimari

I wonder how big PROJECT TEKKEN really is. Seeing they have been working on Tekken X Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros, Tekken 7, Pokken and Rise of Incarnates.

ZeroX03

Banned
I wonder how big PROJECT TEKKEN really is. Seeing they have been working on Tekken X Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros, Tekken 7, Pokken and Rise of Incarnates.

Tekken team isn't directly working on Smash, just a few of the staff moved to that department. Not sure about Rise of Incarnates but I think that's a separate team w/ some Tekken members too.

TxSF is probably not in active development or has very few people working on it. I think it's mostly Tekken 7, Pokken Tournament and (lol) Summer Lesson. So basically just T7 and Pokken.

Pachimari

Tekken team isn't directly working on Smash, just a few of the staff moved to that department. Not sure about Rise of Incarnates but I think that's a separate team w/ some Tekken members too.

TxSF is probably not in active development or has very few people working on it. I think it's mostly Tekken 7, Pokken Tournament and (lol) Summer Lesson. So basically just T7 and Pokken.

I'm just thinking it must be a huge team.

AAK

^^^
Don't worry I'm sticking with my eyeless mad Heihachi ;)

Not sure how I feel about "online" matchmaking happening at arcades? Completely defeats the purpose of an arcade experience. Is the netcode THAT good in Japan?

Didn't watch the stream but it was mentioned on eventhubs that the graphics are only about 50% complete and this location test is only to get people's input on the gameplay system. I guess they're waiting to release a trailer when the game is looking good enough to be comfortable to reveal to the masses.

Sayah

In that case, taken. :)

And didn't know about that bit of information. Full quote for those interested.

"As we're still working on the game, the location test build of Tekken 7 will be running with about 50% of the graphical effects intended for the final release of the game," Harada said in Japanese on the Sugamo Cup tournament stream.

"We'd like for everyone to try out the new systems, try out the characters, and let us know what they think. With Tekken 7, what we want to do is create it with everyone.

"Then when the game is out, please enjoy playing the game with 100% of the game's graphical prowess fully activated, by taking advantage of Unreal Engine 4."

what a tease harada , lol.

Anyway, October is good news . Hopefully with the location tests , we'll have a good idea on at least a part of the cast they plan to put in since , tekken 7 was rumored to have a much more limited cast than before.

OmegaDL50

^^^
Don't worry I'm sticking with my eyeless mad Heihachi ;)

Not sure how I feel about "online" matchmaking happening at arcades? Completely defeats the purpose of an arcade experience. Is the netcode THAT good in Japan?

Didn't watch the stream but it was mentioned on eventhubs that the graphics are only about 50% complete and this location test is only to get people's input on the gameplay system. I guess they're waiting to release a trailer when the game is looking good enough to be comfortable to reveal to the masses.

Check out NeSiCAxLive and Taito NESYS. They have been doing this for years.

It's not about netcode but rather networking infrastructure and many US ISP companies intentionally holding the technology back on the basis of money gouging.

KDDI which one of the major phone companies in Japan with it's emobile service get 75Mbps or NTT DeCoMo's networking hotspots which some of the speeds many would love to get their hands on in the west, which is nearly 2 to 3 times faster than what Verizon Wireless offers in the US.

Japan is also a much smaller country so Wifi and networking hotspots have far less distance to travel in terms of connecting to hotspots. The entire Japanese isles basically is the equivalent to the Eastern US Seaboard in terms of size.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PCV8fmcYYu8/Th7xjwOv2_I/AAAAAAAAC38/3cfWnmYwqmc/s400/japanussize.gif

Or roughly 1.5 times larger then the entire state of California - http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/japan/japanworkbook/geography/map3.jpeg

It's much different connecting from Tokyo to Osaka then compared to say me in Philadelphia connecting to someone out in Washington state.

Lesser distance traveled means less chance of latency, which ultimately translate to better overall connection. There is also a matter of pricing.

Putting things into perspective, So-Net Nuro is a 2Gbps (2000Mbps) service at roughly $50 US per month, and yet Comcast is charging US residents roughly $110 for speeds that barely reach 150Mbps (Extreme 150 service) which is barely a 1/10th of 2Gbps and more than double the costs, quite a significant difference isn't it?

HeelPower

And as to your last sentence, Tekken has always been the more difficult fighting game compared to its peers. Some argue that it's the most difficult modern franchise. However the only time it has ever underperformed in console sales is Tag 2 which one of the reasons why is that the game got so complicated that not even the hardcore can keep up.

you know I appreciate the complexity they managed to pull off with Tag2.Its an astounding game to watch at the highest level and a game that's truly worthy of the "sport" moniker ,but despite the complexity almost missed out on EVO.

So yeah honestly screw the guys at Green arcade if it means the game will become another VF.

Sure the game has to be deep but not at the expense of playability.And decision like not putting framedata in practice mode on purpose to annoy the player are really backwards.

Believe me, when TK7 is released for PS4 and XB1 it will be anything but niche. It will be one of the first (if not THE first) fighting games built from the ground up for the new gen. It's also a numbered main-line release. There's absolutely no chance for it to be niche or hardcore-only.

Right now TK7 is in the same stage that almost every single iteration before it went through:

Announcement - Reveal - Early location test (that's where we are right now) - months of news in Japanese publications such as Arcadia magazine - more location tests - Arcade release - hundreds of hours of video content uploaded to YT by Japanese pro players - Console talk. ---and that's when Namco will start advertising this to the console crowd and casual players in the West.

I hope that's true and they arenot planning to make this a pro-player-only game like TT2.

TGMIII

"e-sports" has nothing to do with the difficulty of tekken, it has more to do with them building on top of each game with every iteration leading to the game that we have today.

Harada has already said that he realises the need to scale the game back to some degree and has already answered questions on twitter about making elements of movement somewhat easier.

Westlo

Hype for Ms Mishima.

I hope that's true and they arenot planning to make this a pro-player-only game like TT2.

Tekken will never again be on the "mainstream level" that T3 and Tag were, they're content with making money off arcade pros and owners all over south east asia. Console sales are just a bonus, they won't ever ship out as much as T6 again due to the channels getting burnt last time. (That's why T6 went from shipping 3.5 mil to TTT2 doing half of that)

It's probably a better game now but it's def more niche than it used to be considering it was a pillar of PSX/PS2.....

OmegaDL50

I wonder what new moves Bob got, if he's in the game at all for that matter.

I'll keep an eye over at Tekken Zaibatsu for any new information.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wow much sooner than I expected, the game must have been baking for quite a while on the low. Can't wait to see what it looks like, I'm guessing full arcade release in the spring, console release Fall 2015.

AAK

Thanks for the info Omega. But despite those connections... is that still good enough to make it replicate the lagless arcade experience?

you know I appreciate the complexity they managed to pull off with Tag2.Its an astounding game to watch at the highest level and a game that's truly worthy of the "sport" moniker ,but despite the complexity almost missed out on EVO.

So yeah honestly screw the guys at Green arcade if it means the game will become another VF.

Sure the game has to be deep but not at the expense of playability.And decision like not putting framedata in practice mode on purpose to annoy the player are really backwards.

They already confirmed that they're addressing 3 of the hardest things about TTT2:

1 - Movement
2 - Wakeup system
3 - Character Roster Size + Return to 1v1

I think with every public appearance Harada has continuously said he wants to make Tekken more inclusive again.

OmegaDL50

Thanks for the info Omega. But despite those connections... is that still good enough to make it replicate the lagless arcade experience?

Tekken 7 on a network like Taito NESYS or Namco's own equivalent to it won't likely ever be utilized outside of Japan, so even if T7 Arcade machines wind up in the West, it wouldn't matter anyways.

Some of the NeSiCAxLive games support netplay, NESYS runs on Arcade Machines mind you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Taito_NESiCAxLive_games

AAK

Yeah, I also doubt we'll see Tekken 7 gameplay at TGS... unless it's shown behind closed doors.

Also weird how similar the poses are between T7 and TTT2

Except the rage factor is multiplied :p

CSX

The game is too hard even for Green Arcade Lol. There was an interview with JDCR that because of the complexity , there are no new players learning how to play and many players from T6 dropped Tag 2.

He said during T6 era, Green Arcade will still be packed till middle of the night and they had to be pushed out of the arcade by the owner. For Tag 2, place is already almost empty by midnight

Sayah

They did try to accommodate that by making clones and allowing for 1v2 or 1v1 battles. Guess it wasn't enough.

Top Bottom