• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 location test announced for October, runs at 50% visual quality, ~20 chars

DEATH™;129978734 said:
Actually, casual fans know bound pretty well... They say bound makes juggles more powerful... casuals hate being launched...
I've never really encountered anyone that does, unless it's in a specific place about Tekken. For instance, in street fighter 4, the Focus system is very noticeable and defining. I can do it and anyone without any knowledge will notice it. Bound is buried under the mechanics of general Tekken, so it's more difficult to really see or catch. That doesn't discount it's importance to the gameplay (you'd likely get mauled without knowing how to use it), but it doesn't seem as much of a step over previous games in the series. Just didn't feel as progressive.

The game itself is great, so I'm not complaining about that. I just don't want it to get stale or fall completely from public eyes due to not changing enough. Like, "Oh, this looks like the last Tekken, just better graphics."

Jaeger

Can't wait to see how pimp Yoshimitsu looks. And I expect really cool secret characters. Like a form of Devil separate from Jin and his father. A new stand alone version related to his grandmum.

Can't wait to see how pimp Yoshimitsu looks. And I expect really cool secret characters. Like a form of Devil separate from Jin and his father. A new stand alone version related to his grandmum.
Yep, seeing Yoshi's design is always a sweet part getting a new tekken.

Who is gonna make the topic for the location test? A storm of info is going to come from that, considering we know nothing at all.

MrDenny

The eventhubs article mentions that Harada disclosed that approximately 20 characters are going to be playable in the location tests.
Is it confirmed Harada said that.
The current article on eventhubs has that part edited out.

Pimpbaa

Arkham Knight is also using Unreal 3, and that game is next gen only.

This is a good point. Just because some developer licensed UE3, doesn't mean they are bound by it's limitations. Good programmers could modify it to the point where it is better than UE4. Not saying Arkham Knight is an example of this, but it's possible. I mean Valve started off licensing the Quake 1 engine and kept modifying all the way from Half Life 1 (which didn't resemble the Quake 1 engine in any way) to whatever the current version of Source can do.

Squire

Banned
This is a good point. Just because some developer licensed UE3, doesn't mean they are bound by it's limitations. Good programmers could modify it to the point where it is better than UE4. Not saying Arkham Knight is an example of this, but it's possible. I mean Valve started off licensing the Quake 1 engine and kept modifying all the way from Half Life 1 (which didn't resemble the Quake 1 engine in any way) to whatever the current version of Source can do.

The most notable games that used UE3 did indeed do so as a baseline. Honestly, if Rocksteady showed "UE3" to Epic right now they might not even recognize it.

Wow, 20 characters. Dis gon b gud.

I had already lowered my expectations for the visuals after seeing some early location test footage for Tekken 6.

.la1n

Thanks for the information as always Wonkey. Your dedication to all things Tekken is fantastic.

Impressed we will possibly be seeing 20 characters at the test. If it is running at half the possible visual quality it should still give us at least a taste of what to expect. I am going to laugh if it already ends up looking better in it's current state than other fighters coming out on current gen systems.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The eventhubs article mentions that Harada disclosed that approximately 20 characters are going to be playable in the location tests.

Next gen xiao!? ;-;

Really excited to see what even "50%" of the end product looks like on an engine and hardware that isnt based on and held back by something built almost 10 years ago.

I don't have the source, but i can remember hearing that even the arcade boards of T6 and TTT2 were just PS3 components in arcade machines.

AAK

I just hope they don't drop steve. Ive only just started to get good with him.

Steve is a pretty challenging character to use and in my opinion the best animated character in videogames. If you are good with him you NEED to hop onto Tekken GAF and play some of us sometime. (Assuming you're on PSN)

Impressed we will possibly be seeing 20 characters at the test. If it is running at half the possible visual quality it should still give us at least a taste of what to expect. I am going to laugh if it already ends up looking better in it's current state than other fighters coming out on current gen systems.

The 20 character revelation makes me think that it's going to be a simple incremental upgrade to T6 with the vast majority of animations and moves retained. I'm grounding my expectations to be honest.

Next gen xiao!? ;-;

Really excited to see what even "50%" of the end product looks like on an engine and hardware that isnt based on and held back by something built almost 10 years ago.

I don't have the source, but i can remember hearing that even the arcade boards of T6 and TTT2 were just PS3 components in arcade machines.

This is correct, those T6 arcade machines even had the PS3 XMB on their default screens.

But alas for all we know T7 could even be cross gen.

Steve is a pretty challenging character to use and in my opinion the best animated character in videogames. If you are good with him you NEED to hop onto Tekken GAF and play some of us sometime. (Assuming you're on PSN)

The 20 character revelation makes me think that it's going to be a simple incremental upgrade to T6 with the vast majority of animations and moves retained. I'm grounding my expectations to be honest.

I don't think redoing all the animations from the ground up is necessary at all. As you said, characters like Steve already animate incredibly well and those animations will look even better now with updated character models and all kinds of new visual effects. The addition of motion blur in Tekken 6 made a world of difference.

Speaking of visual effects, UE4 is can do some crazy stuff with particles. I hope they take advantage of this and redo the trademark hit sparks for each character.

HeelPower

1 - Movement
2 - Wakeup system
3 - Character Roster Size + Return to 1v1

I think with every public appearance Harada has continuously said he wants to make Tekken more inclusive again.

That's really good to know.I know he's promised these changes constantly so I hope to see them in T7.
The game is too hard even for Green Arcade Lol. There was an interview with JDCR that because of the complexity , there are no new players learning how to play and many players from T6 dropped Tag 2.

He said during T6 era, Green Arcade will still be packed till middle of the night and they had to be pushed out of the arcade by the owner. For Tag 2, place is already almost empty by midnight

yeah are there no new guys but the main stay players are doing extremely well.The gap is almost unimaginable between them and the top level US/EU players.

T6 struck a perfect balance between depth and easy of learning imo.I think not many people give it enough credit but I think its responsible for a certain growth in the community.

It only needed some characters to be balanced.An update for T6BR would've been nice.

AAK

Is Lei top tier yet?

I made a personal tier list for TTT2 a few months back:

ibvqGNYLqt0VYJ.png

Only thing I'd change is that Bob is unquestionably the best character in the game now. (And other minor things like Lars, Miguel being higher) But yeah, I think Lei is fucking good in TTT2. Even after you figure out his gimmicks he's still a ridiculously solid character.

I don't think redoing all the animations from the ground up is necessary at all. As you said, characters like Steve already animate incredibly well and those animations will look even better now with updated character models and all kinds of new visual effects. The addition of motion blur in Tekken 6 made a world of difference.

Speaking of visual effects, UE4 is can do some crazy stuff with particles. I hope they take advantage of this and redo the trademark hit sparks for each character.

Yeah, maybe you're probably right... One thing I really want them to address is how they do the juggle animations. I think the infinite somersaults that happen in T6-TTT2 when something like Jet Upper hits on an airborne opponent looks way too ugly right now.

Bardiche

They're revealing 20 characters all at once? That's exciting and refreshing. I was expecting them to start revealing characters MKX style.
I only need Michelle, or at least Julia (not Jaycee), and I'm set. I need my next-gen elbows, shotguns, bow and arrow kick, war drum, Mad Axes, and Chang's hopkicks.

Oh no, dont get me wrong. When I mean good, I mean I can win the odd match online. Im nowhere near a GOOD player, if you get my drift.

But going forward, I think I want to keep learning steve. Hopefully by the time T7 comes around, ill feel confident enough to actually play some people who know what they are doing. Right now I just like hopping online and ducking and dodging.

I have a feeling that Anna isn't going to be in this, is she? :(

Well, I know we should at least get Nina, right? RIGHT??

Anyway, hopefully this will come out on home consoles sooner rather than later because I have no good arcades near me at all and having to watch this game on Youtube for such a long time can be unadulterated torture.

danmaku

Tekken will never again be on the "mainstream level" that T3 and Tag were, they're content with making money off arcade pros and owners all over south east asia. Console sales are just a bonus, they won't ever ship out as much as T6 again due to the channels getting burnt last time. (That's why T6 went from shipping 3.5 mil to TTT2 doing half of that)

It's probably a better game now but it's def more niche than it used to be considering it was a pillar of PSX/PS2.....

I don't see any reason why Tekken shouldn't be able to come back like Street Fighter did. A new episode on new hardware is bound to create some interest among casuals and their characters are the most famous in the genre, together with SF. What they need to add is a new system simple enough to make the game fun even at very basic level and, imho, big graphics. Yes, graphics. As much as I hate to say it, if the game will be able to blow away the casual crowd, there will be more people willing to learn how to play.

I don't see any reason why Tekken shouldn't be able to come back like Street Fighter did. A new episode on new hardware is bound to create some interest among casuals and their characters are the most famous in the genre, together with SF. What they need to add is a new system simple enough to make the game fun even at very basic level and, imho, big graphics. Yes, graphics. As much as I hate to say it, if the game will be able to blow away the casual crowd, there will be more people willing to learn how to play.

Well, i'm not sure if it can reach T3 levels. T3 is bigger than any SF game. Harada said that it sold 8.3m copies. Brawl is the only fighter that sold more than it.

danmaku

Well, i'm not sure if it can reach T3 levels. T3 is bigger than any SF game. Harada said that it sold 8.3m copies. Brawl is the only fighter that sold more than it.

T3 level is a bit too much, but I was thinking something like SF3 -> SF4. SF4 made the series famous again among casuals, I remember lots of people that weren't even aware that SF3 existed, they just jumped from 2 to 4. Most of them probably stopped at vanilla and didn't buy Super and Ultra but it doesn't matter. SF was relevant again.

T3 level is a bit too much, but I was thinking something like SF3 -> SF4. SF4 made the series famous again among casuals, I remember lots of people that weren't even aware that SF3 existed, they just jumped from 2 to 4. Most of them probably stopped at vanilla and didn't buy Super and Ultra but it doesn't matter. SF was relevant again.

I definitely think that it can be more popular than the series has been recently. SF4 basically started the rebirth of the 2D fighter last gen. They managed to find a good balance between the casual fighting game fan and the tournament fighter. And you saw that carry through with MK, MvC and even P4A in Japan. NAMCO is now in the same position that Capcom was in. T3 managed to hit the perfect balance just like SF4 did. They're going to have to do that again with T7 if they want to draw more people in.

Top Bottom