• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Katarina is like, the easiest character ever. Highly recommend her to anyone who thinks she looks cool and just wants to play basic Tekken.

Numb

Updated starter guide, with help from Numb.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Gde48Zn.png[/img]
full

Katarina is like, the easiest character ever. Highly recommend her to anyone who thinks she looks cool and just wants to play basic Tekken.

I'll play her not because of ease but because she's cool

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
I would say that Lee's b+2, f~N loops are icing on the cake. What makes it hard for me is that he largely has a certain overall range to his moveset that makes punishing some important things hard. Not to mention that he can have a hard time against a keep-out play-style, which makes having a life deficit feel hopeless sometimes. I think that Lee requires a certain confidence to do the bold moves and strategies he needs. I can definitely feel the difference when playing Dragunov, who seems to be able to punish even most of Jack's stuff.

Dragunov I feel what makes him seem harder to play is that his only 'catch-all' move is instant WR2, which is pretty tough to do. Otherwise, most of his moveset has specific uses, so you have to know what to do and when. d+2 chops help a great deal, though.

That's just my experience as a low/mid level player, however.

AllenShrz

New Nvidia article on Tekken 7

For Maximum Graphical settings:

A 1080 Ti is recommended for 4k (the video in the article uses a 1080)

A 1060 (or a 980) is recommended for 1440p

There is a Dynamic Adjustment setting that will change settings on the fly to maintain 60fps. Will probably help in cases like the 1080, which had problems maintaining a locked 60fps as seen in the YT video in the article.

Nvidia has also released the 382.33 WHQL Driver, which adds support for Tekken 7.

According to that article they used AA on a 4k display... to be honest that's wasting resources.

No wonder why a simple 1060 is enough for 1440p but suddenly a 1080ti is needed for 4k.

According to that article they used AA on a 4k display... to be honest that's wasting resources.

No wonder why a simple 1060 is enough for 1440p but suddenly a 1080ti is needed for 4k.

I think they are using a modified version of UE4's differed render. I'd hazard a guess that the AA is a post processing solution. Shouldn't be much more resource intensive, even at 4k. The power difference between cards also makes sense for the jump in resolution (1080ti is more than 2x a 1060, 4k is more than 2x 1440p).

I would say that Lee's b+2, f~N loops are icing on the cake. What makes it hard for me is that he largely has a certain overall range to his moveset that makes punishing some important things hard. Not to mention that he can have a hard time against a keep-out play-style, which makes having a life deficit feel hopeless sometimes. I think that Lee requires a certain confidence to do the bold moves and strategies he needs.

This is pretty much Lee 101 tbh.

cordy

Banned
I hope the OT has a good title. We've been waiting for years so now we need to celebrate the release rather than taking another shot at how long it's been. I wouldn't mind

Tekken 7 |OT| Akuma & the Tekken 35

which is a reference to Michael Jackson & the Jackson 5.

sasuke_91

I don't know. I'm talking from the perspective of a mediocre Lee player who doesn't main him. Aside from the combo stuff like b+2 loops and iWR+3,4 combos in TTT2, I always found it hard to figure out how to really use him. He never seemed like a "pick up and play" kind of character.

Should we include Akuma/SF in the OT title? Something like

Tekken 7 |OT| Comes with a free copy of Akuma
Tekken 7 |OT| Step Fireballs
Tekken 7 |OT| Better SF than SFV (j/k of course, but this would get us some amazing posts :p)

I've always been an observer of the Tekken games. Everything I heard from the people who were into it was that it takes a long time to be able to get competent. Frame data is key, learning other characters and how to punish them is key.

Our local group had a few really high level players that go way back to the Tekken 2 days. I think the top player went by Mateo. I've seen him at combo breaker and some other tournaments. Seeing that kind of play was really something.

I probably shouldn't even kid myself that I'd spend a fraction of the time necessary to learn anything. Might just be a waste of money to pick up 7.

cordy

Banned
I've always been an observer of the Tekken games. Everything I heard from the people who were into it was that it takes a long time to be able to get competent. Frame data is key, learning other characters and how to punish them is key.

Our local group had a few really high level players that go way back to the Tekken 2 days. I think the top player went by Mateo. I've seen him at combo breaker and some other tournaments. Seeing that kind of play was really something.

I probably shouldn't even kid myself that I'd spend a fraction of the time necessary to learn anything. Might just be a waste of money to pick up 7.
Idk who told you that but shit I've been playing since T2 and I don't know a thing about frame data and I can still get up there ranking-wise in the games. Once you get used to seeing the moves and get familiar with them as long as you practice you'll be fine. All that frame data stuff isn't for everyone.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If any game needed to be cross play it's this. Don't know what version I should focus. More players or more everything else.

GrayFoxPL

Frame data is important and one learns it anyway in for 2 reasons:

1. You like what you're doing and you want to know more about your character.

2. You are getting your ass kicked and you want to know why.

You're getting annoyed with opponents "that one move" and don't know how to punish it best, hopick doesn't work. You find out it's -14. -14 and -15 is the difference between hopkick punish and not so you find your characters best 14 frame move. That's how it rolls.

Later when you know your character's frames you don't have to look up opponent's frame data it's enough you know yours. Testing in practice mode will reveal that and more.

Frame data stats are just a chunk of information about the move. It doesn't say how far it pushes back on block, how evasive is the move, how linear it is, what range it has etc.

If you like the game, the fighting, you'll learn all these things naturally because you'll want to. It'll soak into you once you are becoming better.

I'd say try the game and if you'll hate what you're doing, sell it.

Rajang

Anakin, one of the best players in NA, doesn't use frame data and plays almost completely on the feel. He just knows whats punishable and whats safe.

I'll be on PC as well. I might move to console as well if there is a discount or I really really get into this game and want more competition if there is nothing satisfactory on pc. Feel like it should be well populated though here in North East Asia if not by my local Japan then by Korea and China as well.

AllenShrz

I think they are using a modified version of UE4's differed render. I'd hazard a guess that the AA is a post processing solution. Shouldn't be much more resource intensive, even at 4k. The power difference between cards also makes sense for the jump in resolution (1080ti is more than 2x a 1060, 4k is more than 2x 1440p).

AA is quite resource intensive at 4k, well many things are resource intensive at that resolution but AA- depending on the game- at is a waste of resources when gaming at 4k. Im talking from my personal experience, since I've been gaming at 4k for 2 years now with my PC.

Doomshine

Tekken 7 |OT| Akuma & A Kuma

What exactly do you want out of it? Mateo is someone who could place top 8 at Evo on a good day so if that's the bar you're setting that's pretty extreme.

Spuck-uk

Banned
New Nvidia article on Tekken 7

For Maximum Graphical settings:

A 1080 Ti is recommended for 4k (the video in the article uses a 1080)

A 1060 (or a 980) is recommended for 1440p

There is a Dynamic Adjustment setting that will change settings on the fly to maintain 60fps. Will probably help in cases like the 1080, which had problems maintaining a locked 60fps as seen in the YT video in the article.

Nvidia has also released the 382.33 WHQL Driver, which adds support for Tekken 7.

Nice, should run fine on my 970 at 1080p

Tekken 7 |OT| Akuma & A Kuma

What exactly do you want out of it? Mateo is someone who could place top 8 at Evo on a good day so if that's the bar you're setting that's pretty extreme.

Just meant by that I always stayed away from the game because I knew the level of play in our local scene was such that I'd embarrass myself trying to learn.

AAK

Anakin, one of the best players in NA, doesn't use frame data and plays almost completely on the feel. He just knows whats punishable and whats safe.

To me that is still a primordial form of frame data. Instead of physically knowing the number of frames of animation as the unit of measurement, you're using certain moves as the units of measurement. You're still going to have to fill your memory with that knowledge one way or another regardless to reach a level of proficiency.

Rajang

To me that is still a primordial form of frame data. Instead of physically knowing the number of frames of animation as the unit of measurement, you're using certain moves as the units of measurement. You're still going to have to fill your memory with that knowledge one way or another regardless to reach a level of proficiency.

That's how I started learning. For example, I learned that I could punish Law's f,f+4,3 with Feng's shoulder just by trial and error in player rooms/matches not by reading it on rbnorway.

I think the easiest way to learn in the beginning is to just test the waters with your safe 10 frame punisher and see what is punishable. To me, learning by myself in actual matches seemed to stick far better than just reading numbers off of a website.

I'm also just not a fan of overwhelming new players and telling them to study frame data. I don't think a beginner should even worry about that until they reach a level where they feel they really need it.

Sayah

Yes, but it feels less like a chore that way. As you play more and more, you naturally overtime learn how to best punish something. Much better than having a notebook of frame data to sift through and memorize.

AAK

I honestly think the "frame-data" term has an unfortunate boogeyman associated with it. You could easily replace the term "frame data" with "knowledge of what's punishable" in every instance and it would probably feel more inviting.

But yes, I agree that it's far more easier to retain that knowledge through experimentation and actual practice in a pressure situation rather than reading it up online.

Numb

How many times can you hit someone with feng's qcf+1+2 headbutt online before they realise it's plus and shouldn't press buttons..
full

Tekken 7 |OT| Snoop Lions, Tigers, and Bears OH MY.

Tekken 7 |OT| Rage Arts, Rage Drives, and Rage Quits OH MY.

Tekken 7 |OT| Harada Changed His Email, Don't Ask Him for Shit.

Tekken 7 |OT| Roses are Red, Violets are Lee, I'm gonna make you fly! (Kinda like Josie)
Tekken 7 |OT| Roses are Red, Violets are Lee, Is it Early 2017, Already?

Tekken 7 |OT| Roses are Red, Violets are Lee, It's Early 2017, Are you WEDDY?

p1uZ7dC.png

stn

Wait, Raven isn't in this? Also, definitely gonna be using Akuma in this one (then again, so will most people probably).

Numb

Tekken 7 |OT| Snoop Lions, Tigers, and Bears OH MY.

Tekken 7 |OT| Rage Arts, Rage Drives, and Rage Quits OH MY.

Tekken 7 |OT| Harada Changed His Email, Don't Ask Him for Shit.

Tekken 7 |OT| Roses are Red, Violets are Lee, I'm gonna make you fly! (Kinda like Josie)
Tekken 7 |OT| Roses are Red, Violets are Lee, Is it Early 2017, Already?

Tekken 7 |OT| Roses are Red, Violets are Lee, It's Early 2017, Are you WEDDY?

p1uZ7dC.png
I need early 2017 somehwere in the title

Wait, Raven isn't in this? Also, definitely gonna be using Akuma in this one (then again, so will most people probably).
Raven upgraded

full

master-raven-tekken7fr-concept-art.jpg

full

Numb

Whoever thought of replacing Raven with Master Raven deserves a fucking promotion.

You are welcome
They stole the idea and design i posted a year before she existed

black_girl_ninja_by_chrissy_christine.jpg

Likes knitting and running to school with toast in her mouth
Saying goodbye to Raven in a sec if she turns out to be a black ninja girl. That's more rare than winning the lottery.
Fat chance. Bruce came back not black.

Top Bottom