• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™

Yeah we can forget recreating The Raid scenes with Silat character or Bourne with Filipino dude/girl.

Though those "more new characters" will be Arab character using Silat?

Yeah sure.

At least give us something.

He didn't say that the Arab char will use silat. I can only hope it is though.

Seriously, the reasons for my pessimism in T7 being confirmed at this rate. I just hope the game is fun. If it ends up boring/bland to play at this point then I dunno what to do...

Sayah

All this drama, doom, and gloom over one character.

Yeah exactly. Btw. Harada won't escape critique of hardcore Tekken fans. No matter how many times he gonna insult them with "muscle skinhead". Maybe it's time someone else from Tekken team should take over the series before Harada drives Tekken to the ground like av2k said.
I think that was intentional. American fans were making fun of Japanese idol culture and cringing thatvChloe type designs are becoming so common in Japanese games. He countered with the bald space marine typology that is so common in western games and that the American audience doesn't seem to have problems with.

Sayah

What does Japan think about Chloe?
They're certainly not having a reaction like America from what I can tell. At the very least they're okay with the design even if they don't love it. Or they might be really loving it. It's kind of sad this is what got mainstream coverage for Tekken 7.

AAK

Damn I'm kinda glad I found this out through the internet and not in public. I always thought skinheads = neo nazi.

She's a complete ripoff of Hatsune Miku... and I think that's one of Japan's most iconic things. I'm pretty sure they're salivating it.

I guess it would be the equivalent of getting Micheal Jackson in 1992 in Tekken for the USA audience :p

Sayah

Harada's English vocabulary is still limited. I'm pretty sure that his goal wasn't to reference skin head as neo nazi. Unless he wanted to lose a significant chunk of his fanbase.

AAK

Harada's English vocabulary is still limited. I'm pretty sure that his goal wasn't to reference skin head as neo nazi. Unless he wanted to lose a significant chunk of his fanbase.

Yeah, don't worry I was mistaken about it:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skinhead&utm_source=search-action

The neonazi's are boneskins apparently.

Woah DAMN, had no idea about this!

Not sure if true or you just being Sarcastic.

Started as a sarcastic suggesting but...

Maninfested into something I might just do

The hate for her is getting me all hot and bothered to play her
noah.png

DEATH™

So about the T7 becoming close to Rev, should we consider this a good thing or a bad thing? Should we expect the competition level in T7 to be much much lower now?

DEATH™;142470916 said:
So about the T7 becoming close to Rev, should we consider this a good thing or a bad thing? Should we expect the competition level in T7 to be much much lower now?
Watered down maybe. But it will definitely pick up more serious ppl than TR.

This is just another round of TTT > T4.

AAK

This situation doesn't remind me of T4 at ALL. T4 changed everything. T7 still plays overall the same as Tekken 6 with TTT2's movement + Armor Moves/Supers Moves + new oki.

As for competition it all depends on how many people play it. In North America, T6 and T5 were way more competitive than TTT2 because of the amount of people that supported the game in tournaments. If it's less than now, T7 will be competitively worse, if the competition grows, it'll be better than TTT2.

DEATH™

This situation doesn't remind me of T4 at ALL. T4 changed everything. T7 still plays overall the same as Tekken 6 with TTT2's movement + Armor Moves/Supers Moves + new oki.

As for competition it all depends on how many people play it. In North America, T6 and T5 were way more competitive than TTT2 because of the amount of people that supported the game in tournaments. If it's less than now, T7 will be competitively worse, if the competition grows, it'll be better than TTT2.

It will depend on how online gets good. If online is good enough then it will have the same fate as Tag 2 due to reasons I said before + Tekken vets ditching this for Tag 2 + others playing online only again...

That actually makes my point, even though I made a generalized statement.

All the same factors are in place, IMO.

The degree of change may be smaller, but the gist is still the same.

• New chars people don't like.
  • Large roster cut / merging of styles or moves.
  • New mechanics to deal with (both good and bad).
  • Removal of tag.

The overall effect will be basically the same as before:
  • The new game will take awhile for people to warm up to(various reasons).
  • Many if not most fans will continue with TTT2, creating an overlap.
  • In most* other transitions, people switched over and dropped the old game like a bad habit.

It seemed people didn't drop the old game in that time really. T4 never took hold over TTT. People were playing both, tournies always had both games. And I remember t4 dying out quicker.

T4 changed way more from ttt than t7 is changing from ttt2 it seems. We shall see when we get to play.

I play mostly revolution nowadays for convenience reasons. I kinda dislike playing it, haha.

I don't think TTT2 to T7 will be anything like TTT1 to T4. For one T4 was a huge departure from why people liked TTT1. Secondly, TTT2 isn't TTT1 popular or as well received as it was competitively and generally and even then people stuck with TTT1 because they didn't like T4. As stated, T7 is pretty much T6 with different mechanics added, removed, and modified for more accessibility.

As for T7 being like Rev. Its a good thing imo. There was nothing besides stats that was wrong about it. They took what made sense from there and tweaked the invincible moves into something more manageable. Oki being different...I honestly don't see what was so good about being able to juggle people on wake up because honestly that's the only thing that's changed about it. I don't think people know why they dislike TR mechanically.

About Online: If Namco takes a step back online wise ala SCIIHD Online then they deserve any backlash they get. Otherwise I don't really see online being any different from TTT2 or SCV with room for improvment.

I feel like some folks didn't even read my statements. I'm going to have to reiterate.

I don't think TTT2 to T7 will be anything like TTT1 to T4. For one T4 was a huge departure from why people liked TTT1.
People can still feel the same way about T7. They can still not like the new mechanics. It may be different logistics involved, but it can still have the same turn-off effect.
Secondly, TTT2 isn't TTT1 popular or as well received as it was competitively and generally and even then people stuck with TTT1 because they didn't like T4. As stated, T7 is pretty much T6 with different mechanics added, removed, and modified for more accessibility.
Different animal, same stripes. Also, I already mentioned that people stuck with TTT1. In time though, they embraced T4 grudgingly, because otherwise it meant being left behind or left out. Namco was still very invested in regional and nationals back then, and most, if not all of the veterans made the switch. They didn't like it, but they did it. This is where the overlap comes in. After a T4 tourney, most people would gather at someone's house and play Tag 1. Just the way it was.
As for T7 being like Rev. Its a good thing imo. There was nothing besides stats that was wrong about it. They took what made sense from there and tweaked the invincible moves into something more manageable. Oki being different...I honestly don't see what was so good about being able to juggle people on wake up because honestly that's the only thing that's changed about it. I don't think people know why they dislike TR mechanically.
Personal preferences. I personally like the classic oki system. It really rewards the guy who scored the knockdown. With all the changes to T7, I can see a lot more dumbed down "YOLO" playstyles becoming mainstream. Maybe not as bad as TR, but it will change a lot. I think people are underestimating how much the game will be different now. It may not be as drastic as "oh wow, walls" and position switching, but it will definitely be simplified.
About Online: If Namco takes a step back online wise ala SCIIHD Online then they deserve any backlash they get. Otherwise I don't really see online being any different from TTT2 or SCV with room for improvment.
They'd only be shooting themselves in the foot by doing that. Then again, if the same people that came up with Lucky Chloe are in charge of the net code... ZING! Sorry, couldn't help it.

I don't mean to come off as argumentative here, but I feel there are two very different perspectives in play here. Those who were kids and played casually back in the TTT1/T4 era, and those who were active members of the tourney scenes back then and had first hand experience of attitudes and opinions expressed in the times. Being part of the latter group, I can honestly say that T7 is looking to give the same initial sour impressions as T4 did. The "vets" will face the same choices too: adapt with the changes or be left behind.

Degen

It's funny how many people are disappointed at how T7 isn't a reboot and doesn't look different enough which means that the series is getting stale

...versus how many people see T7 and think it's way too different and just isn't the Tekken they know and love anymore

#LuckyChloe

You are still rewarded for knock down though. All it really does is make the Oki less dangerous but you still have the advantage. This isn't VF where being on the ground barely means anything at all. You still have to get up properly its just that its not as scary to backroll and to neutral get up.

I don't think the changes in T7 really promotes "yolo" style anyways. You can't just Power crush the entire match because you take damage. Same with rage arts. I think TTT2 did more in that Area than T7 will because there's more to that game with Rage being a thing. Two lifebars, recoverable health, huge damage output, etc etc.

AAK

Wonkey just mentioned in his youtube channel: A good amount of the 2ch forums guys aren't a fan of Chloe thinking she doesn't belong in Tekken. The vast majority said they don't care. And there is the periodical person that likes it.

GrayFoxPL

Wonkey just mentioned in his youtube channel: The good amount of the 2ch forums guys aren't a fan of Chloe thinking she doesn't belong in Tekken. The vast majority said they don't care. And there is the periodical person that likes it.

That probably got Harada down. Maybe he thought "homeboys" would definitely fap to her when in reality westerners are likely more into this shit.

av2k

That probably got Harada down. Maybe he thought "homeboys" would definitely fap to her when in reality westerners are likely more into this shit.

Haha, I don't know how it exactly works but I believe this character is an "idol" which means they don't look at her sexually but more of a little sister or friend that they protect and take care of?

Strange but I forgot where I read that

AAK

Oh man... I have no idea haha.

Regardless in the end, I really should stop talking about Chloe. By contributing to the initial disdain with my reactions it also led to Harada being in this state. Even though I hate the design... I hate myself even more now for making the developers feel this way. In the end, this reaction probably makes the creators of Tekken disheartened and NOT enjoy developing the game. That's the worse curse I can ever give somebody to turn their passion into something they can't enjoy. From now on... if I have nothing constructive to say, I'll try to keep it to myself. If this is the direction Tekken wants to go, I at least shouldn't shit on them for doing what they love.

GrayFoxPL

Haha, I don't know how it exactly works but I believe this character is an "idol" which means they don't look at her sexually but more of a little sister or friend that they protect and take care of?

Strange but I forgot where I read that

Not literally masturbate.

Harada: "This, this is the design my fellow Japanese will love and understand. Jackpot!"

Japanese fans: "The fuck is this shit doing in Tekken?" "Meh, whatever."

Harada: "Fuck my life."

If Harada really wants to see how she's really rated then make a poll.

Maybe it's worse in Europe in Japan then US.

sasuke_91

AAK what's the new OT title

This OT? Why does it need a new title?

Not literally masturbate.

Harada: "This, this is the design my fellow Japanese will love and understand. Jackpot!"

Japanese fans: "The fuck is this shit doing in Tekken?" "Meh, whatever."

Harada: "Fuck my life."

If Harada really wants to see how she's really rated then make a poll.

Maybe it's worse in Europe in Japan then US.

I always forget that Europeans and Americans are basically two different audiences. And that almost everyone in this thread is from the US...

Oh yeah by the way, thanks for the suggestion with the LAN cable GrayFox. This could be the problem. I'll try if using another cable solves the problem

Oh man... I have no idea haha.

Regardless in the end, I really should stop talking about Chloe. By contributing to the initial disdain with my reactions it also led to Harada being in this state. Even though I hate the design... I hate myself even more now for making the developers feel this way. In the end, this reaction probably makes the creators of Tekken disheartened and NOT enjoy developing the game. That's the worse curse I can ever give somebody to turn their passion into something they can't enjoy. From now on... if I have nothing constructive to say, I'll try to keep it to myself. If this is the direction Tekken wants to go, I at least shouldn't shit on them for doing what they love.

They are not your significant other or your friend, lol. They are trying to extract money from you with a product they are creating. Business transaction. They please you, you give them money.

GrayFoxPL

It's a trap.

Edit:
They are not your significant other or your friend, lol. They are trying to extract money from you with a product they are creating. Business transaction. They please you, you give them money.

Exactly. They are not doing this for themselves. Hell, most of the development team doesn't do what they want but what they are ordered to. It's a job.
So if Harada wants weeaboo freak in the game, they're gonna do it if they like it or not.

If a known rock band would release new album but half of the tracks were hiphop because they are seeking "new audience", wouldn't that piss off the loyal fanbase who doesn't buy their albums for hiphop music?

Thats a bad analogy. Because it's still Tekken. Going from one genre to another is different from adding a character you don't like
Actually it was a good analogy because Tekken itself has an identity just like a band. When the core of that identity changes then it becomes something new altogether.

In tekkens case, it's gradually happening one character at a time. The only positive thing I can say at this point is that there are still plenty of mainstream likable characters around and being added. What people don't want is this to become a full blown trend.

Honestly, I think her reveal timing is just bad. Had they gone thru most of the "normal" character reveals first, Lucky Hoe-y wouldn't have this strong of a reaction, IMO.

GrayFoxPL

It's not only that one character who goes in the same line with Alisa and Lili.

Also adding supers that are a reward for losing instead of playing well and armor moves taken from 2D games, minimalized oki because people can't be bothered with get up mind games etc.

What's next? Removing sidestep because "new audience" can't handle it?

Is this still Tekken? I say: "Yeah, kinda." Someone could say: "Barely", other: "Not anymore."

I'm not the only one who doesn't want Tekken to become fanservice mishmash of 2D and 3D games.

Edit:
One more thing: The key word is: "Personality".

To have it you can't aim to please everyone, that way you'll please no one.

Edit:

CosmicForge put it even better.

Y'all trippin. Nothing about Tekken's anything has changed drastically. First T7 looked the same now it's a completely different game.

We are forever in kneejerk mode

Top Bottom