• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 |OT|

edgefusion

74 mile time trial event. The worst of all events. Kill me now. :(

Edit: Oh seems I'm at the bit you guys loved so much. Is it as punishing a the other time trial events? I literally will kill myself if I get to mile 73 then fall behind.

edgefusion said:

No way I could ever replay a race that long if I lost. To win in this game you have to pretty much drive the courses perfectly too. Good luck to you guys who can.

edgefusion said:

Edit: Oh seems I'm at the bit you guys loved so much. Is it as punishing a the other time trial events? I literally will kill myself if I get to mile 73 then fall behind.
There's loads of time to fuck up, just make sure you use the Impreza. Pretty sure that's the best car for it. I came in at 43 or 44 mins and crashed 3-4 times. And the time to beat is 54 mins or so. So, tons of time. It let's you know on all the checkpoints how far you are in front/behind of course, so regardless it's easy to instantly jump out if you find yourself fucking up too much or not being able to keep up with it.

Fox Mulder

edgefusion said:

I used the camaro and still finished like 5 minutes early. It's a long enough distance that you don't have to really drive perfectly and can have a few errors here and there. Just drive fast on highways and do alright through the country turns and all that.

I miss using the bikes in the same kind of race in TDU1 though. Weaving in between traffic at high speeds was fun, man I hope they release them as DLC soon.

oh yeah, would love a motorbikes dlc pack. they'd definitely have to get BMW in there with that though. 800gs and 1200gs for offroading :O~

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Christ this game is bugged.

Just as a warning for anyone happening to be collecting the hidden car wrecks. When finally collecting your reward you might see this car at the used dealership as well.

Do not pick it up (it has no price).

It's a bugged 1000bhp test car of some sort and once in your possession you can't get rid of it. The killer is that it completely breaks the ability to do any of the championship races (game just hangs), effectively stopping the campaign from progressing.

5442778250_09cc3c1331_b.jpg

AVOID

Until this bug is fixed I can no longer progress, ugh. :(

Apparently the devs are aware of it (post)

Played a little bit more on Xbox 360 now. Got the controls nailed down to what I like. The initial cars just really suck at handling. I test drove a Zonda and it was a beast.

Theres so many weird design decisions in this game. I don't know why they got rid of the ultra realistic HDR lighting + motion blur, or spent time on these cutscenes that no one cared about (and made them unskippable!), or removed a ton of options that were in the first game (like changing the camera view).

First game seemed like it was trying to be the ultra ambitious racing game, this one seems like some people with their heads up their ass designed it and they tried to streamline it to try to make it a mainstream game, but the truth is that Racing games will never be mainstream. And all of the lifestyle stuff they added is BS. Every ounce of "lifestyle" you got out of TDU1 was emergent. In this, its really lame.

Theres still good stuff in this game, but they should have been able to make a game way better than the first one with so much development time. This one is just a sideways move at the best.

By the way, do they still allow car rentals?

Tunesmith said:
Christ this game is bugged.
This is honestly one of the most amateurish releases I've seen in years. I'd love to see a no holds barred post mortem on the development of TDU2 some day.

SMH.

Fox Mulder

NullPointer said:
This is honestly one of the most amateurish releases I've seen in years. I'd love to see a no holds barred post mortem on the development of TDU2 some day.

SMH.
Yeah I just had another fucking lockup while playing. It's almost not worth the hassle anymore. I might return it and pick it up again a few months from now for cheap as hell

besiktas1

Uuuuuuuugh save corrupted. Finished a race, it said save corrupted, overwrite. I said yes. Game stalled and now its in the sin bin of fuck you.

My TDU2 experience so far (Xbox 360 owner and fan of TDU1):

* Install the game, boot it up and hope to quickly get to the discovery part of the game, which to me is where TDU shines. Have to sit through a bunch of really trollishly bad cut-scenes and dialogue. Have to drive around a bit, buy a car (mustang), get a cheap house, and finish the first championship of six events. Six events before I can just free roam? OK, I guess. I just want to cruise around, but I'll see whats on offer.

* The mustang handles like shit, seemingly incapable of taking city street turns at even low speeds without spinning out. Switching between hardcore and assists doesn't make much of any difference. Every time I tackle a time trial or race I do OK until I have to make a 90 degree turn - then I always spin out. This is hard to compensate for because your view re-centers after every turn, so you tend to overcompensate and crash.

* Frustrated with having to finish the championship, I retry each event several times until I luck out and make it through in first place. Now new objectives pop up: Win the offroad championship, get a haircut, buy some clothes, get plastic surgery, pick this NPC up. My phone won't shut the hell up and my GPS is always assigned to these objectives.

* I use my cash to buy an off-road car, going for the Hummer. Thing handles like a tank but seems less prone to spin out. After a day or two I attempt the off-road championship. This is when I notice the 1.5 - 2 second delay on my car when starting a race, which just lets me watch the first three cars get ahead of me. Now in most of the races, with some casual practice I can eventually catch up and overtake these guys, but the Time Trials are exercises in pure frustration. They're difficult enough, but with a 2 second penalty right from the get-go they become maddening. But I persevere a bit, and manage to come in second place in a few events and first place in others. Now I'm tied with my rival with one event left - which turns out to be a time trial from hell itself. A maddening array of off-road switchbacks and elevation changes. I give it a solid 6 or 7 goes, but always come up a minimum of 3.5 seconds behind the 1st place time. Frustrated and demoralized I quit out of the championship.

* I have 70K in cash, 3 cars (mustang, hummer, and the rival mustang from the first championship.) From the official forums I see players shitting on both the mustang and hummer for these events so I want to get a "real" car - a competitive one. But I can't, because I'm all out of garage space. So I need to buy a house first, which will cost me another 80K. So, I seek out the world events...

* I do about a dozen "drive me carefully to X" missions, good for only 2K each. Do a few of the "drop me off at my meeting - go faster!" missions, which net me 3K. I attempt to do a "follow my girlfriend" mission, but once we hit the straightaways the girlfriend's car leaves my Hummer in the dust. I retry a few times before I realize I don't have the power to keep a close enough tail on her and quit out.

* Add to all of this the two evenings spent almost exclusively mussing with my controller settings to try to come to grips with the new handling model, and the loud static and white noise coming through my speakers from random player mics, and I'm now so out of love with this game I doubt I'll ever boot it up - unless there is some gigantic miracle patch that not only fixes the problems but somehow injects the "fun" back into the game.

Now, just as background - I am not new to racing games, and I regularly play Burnout Paradise, NFS: Hot Pursuit, Test Drive Unlimited 1, Gran Turismo 5, Forza 3 and NFS: Shift. Hell I'm even pretty decent at racing in GTA4 and Just Cause 2 for chrissakes. This is the ONLY racing game in my collection with such an annoying and unpredictable handling model, and the only one where I actively dread having to tackle turns at speed.

What the hell happened with this game? At the very least its not made for me, and this is surprising since I fell in love with everything TDU1 had to offer.

cjelly said:
Trade the Hummer in for a Range Rover. That's what I did.

I also started with the Lancia, which is pretty decent.
How do I trade it in? I can just replace it with another car? I figured I needed to actually buy a new one, thus the grind for cash to get a new house.

Yes Boss!

Hmm,

I've had no trouble at all. Game, if anything is a bit easier than the first.

I started with the Lotus and Range Rover.

Go to the used car shop on the beginning. Those are geared for the races.

Spinouts? Just use the handbrake for perfect cornering.

Btw, cash is plenty available. No need to grind the $2000 missions.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
NullPointer said:
How do I trade it in? I can just replace it with another car? I figured I needed to actually buy a new one, thus the grind for cash to get a new house.
Go to the dealer and there is an option to sell a car towards a new one. Same for property.

Fox Mulder

cjelly said:
Trade the Hummer in for a Range Rover. That's what I did.

I also started with the Lancia, which is pretty decent.

the lancia was the obvious choice to pick for the first car looking at the stats. I bought the hummer too and it's a piece of shit compared to the land rover.

Garage space was an issue in the first game as well, which is why I bought houses ahead of cars. I had no idea if it gave you free cars but I did it anyways based on the last game. Turns out I had more than enough room for the two shitty rival prize cars that you can't sell or paint.

Pimpbaa

They tell you in game how difficult a car is to use. From 1 to 5 steering wheels (1 being the easiest). Easy cars are well very easy to handle. Plus you gotta use some common sense, muscle cars ARE hard to handle, that's the way it should be. You can't expect it to handle like some Italian supercar. Right now I have a low difficulty A5 Audi car (forget the name of the car, but it's a convertable) and it handles wonderfully. Almost makes the game too easy.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Pimpbaa said:
They tell you in game how difficult a car is to use. From 1 to 5 steering wheels (1 being the easiest). Easy cars are well very easy to handle. Plus you gotta use some common sense, muscle cars ARE hard to handle, that's the way it should be. You can't expect it to handle like some Italian supercar. Right now I have a low difficulty A5 Audi car (forget the name of the car, but it's a convertable) and it handles wonderfully. Almost makes the game too easy.
TBH, I have driven those old Mustang's in numerous games and they always fucking suck at handling, so I knew to steer well clear, lol.

cjelly said:
Go to the dealer and there is an option to sell a car towards a new one. Same for property.
Will do, and thanks for the tip. I guess the Range Rover is the one I want to nail the offroad championship?

Yes Boss! said:
Hmm,
I've had no trouble at all. Game, if anything is a bit easier than the first.
I see this sentiment alot, along with plenty of others saying the opposite. All I can say is that I had no problems with TDU1. The handling in that game took me about a solid 45 minutes to come to grips with, but then it just clicked and it was smooth sailing from that point onwards, routinely won races against AI and other players without having to leave my casual but engaged mindset.

Yes Boss! said:
I started with the Lotus and Range Rover.

Go to the used car shop on the beginning. Those are geared for the races.

Spinouts? Just use the handbrake for perfect cornering.

Btw, cash is plenty available. No need to grind the $2000 missions.
My guess is you started with the cars that actually work ;P I have only hit up the used shops so far as I'm not swimming in cash. And regarding spinouts - I'm talking about any 75 to 90 degree turn. Are you suggesting using the handbrake to make turns at city intersections? Funny, I never had to do that in TDU1, but I never got into high level play either.

As far as cash being plentiful... How? I detailed my experiences with the championship, which I couldn't beat, nor did I end up wanting to. Outside of the championships there are only the low paying side missions, with the best being the convoy missions, which are pretty long but pay out around 10K, but are few and far between. Is there some other cash cow I'm missing out on?

Pimpbaa said:
Like I said, I'm not new to racing games. TDU1 was pretty casual overall and I had no problems driving any of the cars in that game - just like I don't have problems in all the other games I've listed above, except for the highest end ultra slippy super cars. Muscle cars give you straight line power but turn wide. "Wide" is not the same thing as spinning out on a dime. I can deal with an arcade model that focuses on drifting through turns, or a sim model where you apply your brake and then let go of the acceleration to take the turn, adding speed once you hit the apex. Neither of these models is working for me in TDU2. If I hit the brakes a bit, let go of the gas and try to turn in, I'm likely to spin out, which becomes incredibly difficult to compensate for with the camera heaving back to center.

Fox Mulder

NullPointer said:
As far as cash being plentiful... How? I detailed my experiences with the championship, which I couldn't beat, nor did I end up wanting to. Outside of the championships there are only the low paying side missions, with the best being the convoy missions, which are pretty long but pay out around 10K, but are few and far between. Is there some other cash cow I'm missing out on?

between winning championships and the frequent frim payouts, I've never had problem with cash. The frim stuff basically is a reward for just driving how I normally would anyways. I drive fast and weave between traffic. It's free money while exploring the islands.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Definitely go for the Range Rover. The Toureg is a piece of shit like the Hummer.

Like you, I was struggling with B4 championship in the Hummer, I was +20 secs in one of the TTs. In this Range Rover I was -10.

Range Rover is surprisingly nimble and you can get the handbrake up round the corners at a nice speed.

Pimpbaa

bkfount said:
between winning championships and the frequent frim payouts, I've never had problem with cash. But like you said, I probably had better fortunes starting out with a proper car and actually finishing a championship.

Yeah, that's where I get my money (championships). Get an easy difficulty car and they are a breeze (especially if you upgrade them).

Pimpbaa said:
Yeah, that's where I get my money (championships). Get an easy difficulty car and they are a breeze (especially if you upgrade them).
Outside of the championships its a grind. I had hoped to be able to progress in the game mostly through the discovery path, but that doesn't pay out nearly well enough.

Also, championships take more investment of time and effort in this game as opposed to the individual races in TDU1 (especially with the Hummer and Mustang it seems). Also, those convoy missions in the first game paid out seriously big bucks, something like 150K for a perfect run, as opposed to 10K in TDU2.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Also, championships take more investment of time and effort in this game as opposed to the individual races in TDU1
You can just back out of a tournament whenever you get tired of the events and come back to resume it.

Definitely go for the Range Rover. The Toureg is a piece of shit like the Hummer.
You're doing it wrong. I used the Toureg and frequently got 15 seconds over the competition hardly ever even using my handbrake. That thing is a dream. I don't have any B competitions left but I'll try the Range Rover to see how it handles.

NullPointer said:
My TDU2 experience so far (Xbox 360 owner and fan of TDU1):

<snip>

What the hell happened with this game? At the very least its not made for me, and this is surprising since I fell in love with everything TDU1 had to offer.
It's a clusterfuck. I had a lot of similar problems starting out. I just got to Hawaii and things are getting a little better, but I really feel in a lot of ways this game has taken a step back from the fun and ease of use of TDU1.

Oh yeah and not being able to sell back won cars is a dick move, I'll say it again, a dick move.

besiktas1 said:
Uuuuuuuugh save corrupted. Finished a race, it said save corrupted, overwrite. I said yes. Game stalled and now its in the sin bin of fuck you.
That sucks dude.

Dante23

Dice said:
You're doing it wrong. I used the Toureg and frequently got 15 seconds over the competition hardly ever even using my handbrake. That thing is a dream. I don't have any B competitions left but I'll try the Range Rover to see how it handles.

I can attest this man's words, the Touareg is one hell of a SUV, in most races and time trials I was well ahead over the other cars/ref time (around 15 or 20 secs).

Unlike that piece of shit Mustang of the first races, that thing sucked hard.

Dice

I can drive the Mustang just fine without spinning out but it still sucks, and its top speed is 30mph less (30% less in this car class) than the other two, right? Why the hell would anyone pick that thing?

amrod

edgefusion said:

Very very easy I was 8 min under time and I was breaking like crazy, probably the easiest race in the game so far

only problem is it took 45min to beat lol

plasmasd

I came into this game after about 80 hours of GT5. Love the quick load times, but the control lag is awful. The interface, and ability to check out the cars is great. I wish I could merge GT5 and this game into the perfect racer.

I can't help but laugh when I get into a FF mk6 gti and spin wildly out of control going over a little bump in the road. Makes Dirt 2 feel like a sim in comparison.

Still, the little touches like rolling down windows, or being able to retract the vert roof really makes me happy.

I must be blind because I can't find the Gumpert Apollo anywhere, though I've yet to search Hawaii fully. Could anyone please tell me where it can be found? I have 2 million dollars to blow on a car but I'd like a choice (the Zonda Cinque looks like my fave so far).

besiktas1

Yep confirmed, my save file is gone.... :(

I think I'll return it. Gives me a reason to stop playing anyway. I just couldn't get over the hurdle of the handling.

Holy shit. So I traded in my Mustang and Hummer, bought the Land Rover, completely blew the B4 championship away easily, and now I have 1 open garage slot at home, $184K and a vehicle that can actually drive. Its a night and day difference from yesterday - thanks again cjelly and others who pointed me in the right direction. :)

Dice said:
I can drive the Mustang just fine without spinning out but it still sucks, and its top speed is 30mph less (30% less in this car class) than the other two, right? Why the hell would anyone pick that thing?
I've got plenty of racing games, but TDU is about the open world, smooth driving, and just enjoying the cars themselves. So, not thinking about stats I bought the Mustang because it was the best looking thing I could afford.

I sure as hell didn't expect the game to be so damned annoying and punishing for choosing the Mustang and Hummer. But those choices led to a seriously rotten first impression that only got worse over time. I don't know why they're even available from the beginning of the game considering how much they suck. Every starter car should be truly competitive, otherwise Eden is just setting up some players to have a horrible time.

I started out with the Mustang as well. It was my only car for long enough that I think it made me better at the game once I bought some cars that actually drove worth a damn. That said, I think it's kind of fun to drive a car that you have to manhandle like that. Once I got the hang of the Mustang I felt like a total badass whenever I would pull off a perfect power slide around a hairpin turn. I've since went out and bought a Ford GT which is like the Mustang x100, and I love it.

Dante23

NullPointer said:
I've got plenty of racing games, but TDU is about the open world, smooth driving, and just enjoying the cars themselves. So, not thinking about stats I bought the Mustang because it was the best looking thing I could afford.

So did I, that Mustang looked sexy, so I said, why not? I drove other two cars that sucked, one Aston Martin, don't remember the model, and a little red framed car that was pulled out from a kart like competition. Seriously, was horrible, I bought it because it looked somewhat funny and had monster acceleration.

Dice

Did a bunch of test driving.

Those seeking Ridge Racer controls: Get yourself an RUF car.

I'll continue on in my Ferraris and Paganis, maybe an Ascari... okay, and a Bugatti to drive on a reeeeaaallllly long, straight road.

Dear Eden games,
I have bought V-Rally, V-Rally 2, V-Rally 3, Test Drive Unlimited 1 (twice on PC and Xbox 360) and now Test Drive Unlimited 2. I have loved each racing game that you have made.

I lost my savegame on TDU1 thanks to a bug in the game, yet I restarted and continued playing, giving you the benefit of the doubt simply because I love your racing games.

Yesterday however, I started up my TDU2 savegame again and was greeted by "Save data is corrupt".....

V4maM.gif

FUCK YOU EDEN GAMES, FUCK YOUR SHITTY SAVEGAME SYSTEM!

Dice

Time for the race around Ibiza part... gotta get my trace music jamming for this one.

Another thing I miss from TDU is having all items show up on the map at once. I loved seeing a shit load of stuff on the map at once. Small thing, but its one of those touches that makes the game feel a lot more dense, not unlike Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

jorma

is now taking requests
Played the first few licenses during the weekend and had fun. The handling takes a while to get used to, especially coming from GT5 but it's pretty fun anyway.

The races and the missions are fairly easy but not too easy. And i've had zero issues with bugs and freezes so far.

This game is pretty much what i expected.

Did not try any mp yet and tbh i'm not convinced that i ever will.

Dice

Drove a completely reckless tour of the island in my lvl4 Subaru at 45mins.

Fun things:
1) Pretending like you're going to slow down to take the turn properly makes you hit more trees than purposefully driving through the trees.
2) The guys at Eden put rocks right where you want to go just to be dicks.
3) Woah, this thing can go 170mph?
4) The drivers in Ibiza are all assholes with no respect for the sport and deserve to be smashed into at 170mph when they make a left turn in front of you or don't hurry up and turn like they were signaling.
5) Jumping too high in the Subaru makes you backflip.
6) Apparently it's really good at going up hills because that's where the largest time gains happened.
7) Offroad, bitches! It's rally time!
8) $1 million gained, $1.3 million spent. Pagani Zonda Cinque acquired.

Top Bottom