• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Grammy Awards |OT| Witness Greatness tonight at 8 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeIC

Nah. I've known they sucked. But it just aggravates me every year still. Because it may not be important to us but for the likes of Kendrick and Kanye, it's validation of their music. It shows that there craft is being respected amongst all music.

This. I know the Grammys are garbage, and a win doesn't change that, but it does help with mainstream validation.

TheFixer

Neo Member
Can people stop responding to long-winded posts from Juniors just saying shit to stir it?
I don't follow. Is it incomprehensible that someone could like 1989 more than TPAB? For what it's worth, there's a litany of rap albums I enjoyed quite significantly more than TPAB last year, including output from Drake, Future, Young Fathers, Earl Sweatshirt, and Young Thug.

saltypickles

Neo Member
I don't follow. Is it incomprehensible that someone could like 1989 more than TPAB? For what it's worth, there's a litany of rap albums I enjoyed quite significantly more than TPAB last year, including output from Drake, Future, Young Fathers, Earl Sweatshirt, and Young Thug.

Future and Thug maybe, but Drake? LOL

Pavaloo

Idk about Kendrick but even though kanye complains a lot about it he has said he takes solace in getting his art to his fans and doesn't necessary need validation from the grammy's. I mean the dude already has 21.

Yeah, but that was somewhere he must have gotten to recently. He even tweeted recently about finally coming to terms with the fact that he has supporters lol. These were his comments when Yeezus released

“I mean, we can even take a look at some recent nominations that came out. Now I’m 36-years-old and I have 21 Grammys. That’s the most Grammys of any 36-year-old. Out of all those 21 Grammys, I’ve never won a Grammy against a white artist.”

I thought it was an interesting point back then - immediately thought of it tonight too.

edit: come to think about it - he said that before him and kendrick lost to macklemore that year. god damn

zethren

Banned
Talent always wins.

Far from it, but hopefully that's your point.

Most people don't know that Van Gogh only ever sold 1 painting in his life. To his brother.

Validation from your peers and those who's judgement you place value aren't always a reflection of your quality and talent.

kendrid

Banned
For all the people mad about TPaB losing, good.

Get mad.

Get mad and start writing.

Start spreading how bullshit this is.

Get enraged at how overwhelmingly out-of-touch their voter base is, and demand change.

That's how #OscarsSoWhite started.

So, start #GrammysSoWhite.

You assume that the majority have the same opinion as you. Guess what...they might not.

Taylor is huge. You don't like her? Great. It doesn't mean she shouldn't win.

Kendrick won FIVE awards. But hey, let's get mad and say the voters are out of touch.

Future and Thug maybe, but Drake? LOL

He did score an ace though.

980x.jpg

Order

I don't know why y'all fool yourselves every year with this Grammy nonsense.

Hip hop will never get respect at the Grammys. It never has, and it never will.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, but that was somewhere he must have gotten to recently. He even tweeted recently about finally coming to terms with the fact that he has supporters lol. These were his comments when Yeezus released

“I mean, we can even take a look at some recent nominations that came out. Now I’m 36-years-old and I have 21 Grammys. That’s the most Grammys of any 36-year-old. Out of all those 21 Grammys, I’ve never won a Grammy against a white artist.”

I thought it was an interesting point back then - immediately thought of it tonight too.

I remember that. wonder what he'll say in the coming days after this.

TheFixer

Neo Member
Yo...stop. Forreal.
Lol, believing Future had a stronger 2015 than Kendrick Lamar isn't even an unpopular opinion amongst pretty widely lauded music critics. If you think you guys smell blood in the water and can pounce, you're wrong. TPAB just isn't as transcendent as you guys think it is.

Black Messiah came out not three months before TPAB and immediately rendered TPAB banal in comparison upon arrival.

Rembrandt

Banned
You have really good points, but the work on 1989 is quite perfect for a pop album, i'd say is the best one in more than 10 years, and probably her magnum opus. She's perfected her craft a lot too, and people just jump at it like it's bullshit but it really isn't. Any of the 2 winning is good, tbh.

A shame it wasn't Kendrick's time, though...

That may be true, but if we're comparing the albums as wholes and thinking of their individual impact, Kendrick deserved this. His song became a chant during Black Lives Matter. He had Obama praise him. He's had several thinkpieces written about it. This CD touched on so many aspects in a time when a lot of rap CDs weren't.

There is literally no way in hell the best pop CD in this decade deserves a Grammy more than TPAB.

It's becoming so obvious how much they don't want to give black people recognition. Beyonce honed her craft with Beyonce and lost to fucking Beck. Kanye, Drake, Jay-Z and Kendrick drop some amazing projects and lose Best Rap Album to fucking Macklemore.

They're telling rappers and black people that regardless of how great or powerful your music is, it's not shit in our eyes. that's discouraging.

Lol, believing Future had a stronger 2015 than Kendrick Lamar isn't even an unpopular opinion amongst pretty widely lauded music critics. If you think you guys smell blood in the water and can pounce, you're wrong. TPAB just isn't as transcendent as you guys think it is.

Black Messiah came out not three months before TPAB and immediately rendered TPAB banal in comparison upon arrival.

Fuck out of here. It's the highest reviewed rap CD so it's obviously as transcendent as some believe. The president liked the CD. Which music critics think he had a stronger 2015, though? and nope, even with Black Messiah being great, it didn't resonate nowhere as much as TPAB and that's obvious.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

the only thing I agree with is your opinion on future. He should've won all the grammys tonight

Both TPAB and Black Messiah were incredible albums that will be widely remembered, get outta here with that talk.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, and where was Future tonight?

LionPride

Banned
No joke. 1989 placed well above TPAB in my personal year-end rankings (TPAB didn't even make my top 50). I liked Section.80 quite a bit and GKMC meaningfully less, but TPAB is my least favorite Kendrick album. Boring and bloated.
Nigga how can an opinion be so damn wrong

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
That may be true, but if we're comparing the albums as wholes and thinking of their individual impact, Kendrick deserved this. His song became a chant during Black Lives Matter. He had Obama praise him. He's had several thinkpieces written about it. This CD touched on so many aspects in a time when a lot of rap CDs weren't.

There is literally no way in hell the best pop CD in this decade deserves a Grammy more than TPAB.

It's becoming so obvious how much they don't want to give black people recognition. Beyonce honed her craft with Beyonce and lost to fucking Beck. Kanye, Drake, Jay-Z and Kendrick drop some amazing projects and lose Best Rap Album to fucking Macklemore.

They're telling rappers and black people that regardless of how great or powerful your music is, it's not shit in our eyes.
Beck?
Beck was he most talented artist that year and even would beat this year's artists
Beck is amazing
Too much salt is making you say a silly thing about Beck

Was Future even nominated tonight? Did Future perform tonight? Is Future relevant to anything besides bangers?

Man. I turn up to his stuff but are you serious in comparing his "output" to anything Kendrick has done post Section.80? Really, my dude?

Neither will I. I don't agree with either of those things.

I will say that on a purely artistic level TPAB is miles more interesting and inventive than 1989.

The reality is that this should have been the expected outcome. I'd love to see an actual vote breakdown

I agree about TPAB, it was in my top 10 of last year and is definitely a special album. Haven't listened to 1989 outside of the songs that have music videos.

It's just not really a good luck to shit on Swift (not saying you specifically did that but others) when the Grammy's themselves should be the focus of criticism. I don't know who votes for these awards but it's clear looking at past winners that it is probably old white people for the most part. Anyone that expects the Grammy's to give a rap album props is setting themselves up for disappointment, as sad as that is.

Anyway, I'll dip out of here to allow for more quality Judderman posts.

nib95

Banned

Ok, so you have more casual and mainstream taste in music. That's fine, but this is an awards show, where stand out talent, creativity and brilliance should be rewarded, not just appeal and pop factor.

It's like a Video Game Awards show handing out the GOTY to Call of Duty over say, The Last of Us. Yes there will be some who will have preferred Call of Duty, and far more people who bought it too, but in terms of actual excellence and ambition, one is largely regarded as head and shoulders above the other within the industry.

You assume that the majority have the same opinion as you. Guess what...they might not.

Taylor is huge. You don't like her? Great. It doesn't mean she shouldn't win.

Kendrick won FIVE awards. But hey, let's get mad and say the voters are out of touch.

Because they are.

Look, I didn't even enjoy TPaB on the same magnitude as others did, but come on!

To Pimp a Butterfly was the closest thing to a sure-fire win as I had ever seen. It had massive critical appraise from all sides of journalism, the President of the United fucking States declared it the best album of the year, it dominated Album of the Year charts across all journalism sites, it had a song that became the anthem for the #BlackLivesMatter movement, it had cultural impact on a scale that Taylor Swift would beg to have.

It was the one to beat.

1989 shouldn't have won because it did nothing for the cultural zeitgeist. It sparked a conversation royalties, sure, but what else did it do? Have a slickly made set of music videos? Had a star-studded remix of a song with 2 second cameos? What the fuck did Taylor Swift's album do that Kendrick's didn't do better?

Taylor's album was mainstream pop suitable for the most banal audiences. Kendrick's album was a true attempt at artistry, addressing complex themes while Taylor talks about her image as a serial dater and love and shots fired at Katy Perry. It couldn't hold a candle to TPaB.

The voters ARE out of touch, and I hope nay I pray someone talks about this tomorrow. Because what happened here is a travesty on a scale that the Grammys should wish never happens again. I hope articles and articles are written on this bullshit, and I hope the Academy gets eviscerated. They gave the wrong album the title, and I hope they know that by tomorrow.

andymcc

Banned
Schattenjäger;195442181 said:
Beck?
Beck was he most talented artist that year and even would beat this year's artists
Beck is amazing
Too much salt is making you say a silly thing about Beck

Beck's last record was a bad retread of Sea Change.

He even looked surprised that he won.

TheFixer

Neo Member
Yeah, and where was Future tonight?
Didn't get much love, unfortunately. But that's alright, because I think the better album won Album of the Year of the pool nominated.

Guys, it's not that serious. I don't think the Grammys is a meaningful arbiter or reflection of quality or anything else really. I genuinely didn't think that TPAB was that good. Much respect to Kendrick's technical gift and obvious effort he puts into his music, but I didn't find it that compelling.

Giving it to 1989 over TPAB is the biggest fuck you of all time, for so many different reasons.

It's a shame that Kenny is such a low key and humble guy, I'd love to see him give the Grammys the Kanye treatment and tell them to go fuck themselves. What a joke.

Why is it a fuck you? Do you really think 60 year old white (and black) people are going to like a rap album more than a pop or r&b or rock album? I'd bet money Alabama Shakes and Stapleton got more votes than TPAB. The voters are predominantly out of step with hip hop.

And to go further, Taylor's album sold a lot of records and dominated radio. The major Grammy awards almost always go to major label releases that dominate terrestrial radio (unless they give it to a faux indie artist like Beck or Arcade Fire). Kendrick's album sold well but had little to no radio presence, even on urban stations.

If any rapper is going to win AOTY in the next 5 years it'll be Drake.

cdyhybrid

I feel like you guys are seriously undermining future here. he's the best!

Naw, that's a legit opinion. But it seems kinda weird to say that TPAB getting snubbed is reasonable because Future had better output, when Future wasn't even in the same zip code as the Grammys.

Because they are.

Look, I didn't even enjoy TPaB on the same magnitude as others did, but come on!

To Pimp a Butterfly was the closest thing to a sure-fire win as I had ever seen. It had massive critical appraise from all sides of journalism, the President of the United fucking States declared it the best album of the year, it dominated Album of the Year charts across all journalism sites, it had a song that became the anthem for the #BlackLivesMatter movement, it had cultural impact on a scale that Taylor Swift would beg to have.

It was the one to beat.

1989 shouldn't have won because it did nothing for the cultural zeitgeist. It sparked a conversation royalties, sure, but what else did it do? Have a slickly made set of music videos? Had a star-studded remix of a song with 2 second cameos? What the fuck did Taylor Swift's album do that Kendrick's didn't do better?

Taylor's album was mainstream pop suitable for the most banal audiences. Kendrick's album was a true attempt at artistry, addressing complex themes while Taylor talks about her image as a serial dater and love and shots fired at Katy Perry. It couldn't hold a candle to TPaB.

The voters ARE out of touch, and I hope nay I pray someone talks about this tomorrow. Because what happened here is a travesty on a scale that the Grammys should wish never happens again. I hope articles and articles are written on this bullshit, and I hope the Academy gets eviscerated. They gave the wrong album the title, and I hope they know that by tomorrow.

I want to carry this post around with me for when anyone tells me that Taylor Swift deserved to win.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Beck's last record was a bad retread of Sea Change.

He even looked surprised that he won.
I liked it even more than Sea Change

But that's the thing .. Music is subjective
Even more so than any other media

Can't believe all the salt in this thread .. I bet Kendrick ain't even sweating it

TheFixer

Neo Member
Ok, so you have more casual and mainstream taste in music. That's fine, but this is an awards show, where stand out talent, creativity and brilliance should be rewarded, not just appeal and pop factor.

It's like a Video Game Awards show handing out the GOTY to Call of Duty over say, The Last of Us. Yes there will be some who will have preferred Call of Duty, and far more people who bought it too, but in terms of actual excellence and ambition, one is largely regarded as head and shoulders above the other within the industry.

I mean, this is just patently untrue lol. I'd wager that you haven't even heard of the vast majority of my favorite albums from last year. My album of the year from last year was Orbitor by Alcoholic Faith Mission, followed closely by Chvrches, Four Tet, New Order, Dawn Richard, Julien Baker, and Carly Rae Jepsen. Has virtually nothing to do with having "mainstream" taste in music. I listened to 750 albums that came out last year. How many did you, bud?

nib95

Banned
Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

Co-signed.

Floridian

If Taylor can win AOTY twice with her albums, then I don't see why Adele who have broken sales records cannot. I pretty much expect 25 to take home AOTY next year. Not worth me anticipating the show next year.

Because they are.

It was the one to beat.

And we're done, great post sir.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Naw, that's a legit opinion. But it seems kinda weird to say that TPAB getting snubbed is reasonable because Future had better output, when Future wasn't even in the same zip code as the Grammys.
lol if you taking me serious...I can see why you'd be feeding the troll

Future Hendrix gonna sweep next year, gon have every album he released in the past few months nominated for AOTY.

What a time

Rembrandt

Banned
Schattenjäger;195442655 said:
I liked it even more than Sea Change

But that's the thing .. Music is subjective
Even more so than any other media

Can't believe all the salt in this thread .. I bet Kendrick ain't even sweating it

I bet Kendrick knew the impact him winning the Grammy would have had.

Future Hendrix gonna sweep next year, gon have every album he released in the past few months nominated for AOTY.

Slime Season 3 swiping all of the awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom