• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE best DS Lite case

StRaNgE

Banned
arne said:
I bought this one

7676053_sa.jpg

it's a little thick at like 2" to 2.5" but it lets me carry my ds lite, charger, and way over 10 DS games at least. and it comes with a reversible pouch that doubles as a cloth to wipe the screen with.

Not bad for $10.

links not working for me.

can you snag a pic of the insides?

Chittagong said:
This is the best looking and official too:

PA.59798.001.jpg

No room for games but hey, I take form over function any day.

Hell yeah! Thats the one I got.
Its the ONLY case that does the elegance of the DS Lite any justice.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
japtor said:
i have a case that holds 6 (or 2 ds and 1 gba), but it doesnt look like a zippo lighter. looks more like a mini dv tape case. cause it is.

img00704ns.jpg
I have nice slim ones that hold 3 DS games comfortably (4 games makes it hard to open).

DSGBCase.jpg

I like that we used the same games to display them. :)

Zyid said:
Sorry, missed this post. Let me see...

Ah, here it is.

4+writebig.png

4open2.png

I'm not sure which online retailers carry them, because I actually got mine from Japan, but that's what they look like at any rate.
whoever that can help me find this great case at a us store so i dont have to pay absurb shipping or even the awesome zippo lighter case for me will receive a sweet e-hug from me :D

iifu

Neo Member
Warning: the Hori compact pouches look quite cheap when you actually have them in your hands. Also, I wonder if you can remove the ring from the Keys Factory one. Wouldn't it look less like a 'purse' then?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Kinda off topic but what screen protectors do you guys use for your DS/DSL?

I heard the new Hori ones leave sticky residue and don't fit properly (whilst the old ones rocked - wtf?!). and dont tell me I dont need one! Ouendan kills all screens, especially when the environment is pretty dusty.

Also do you get a spare stylus at all with the US release? Think I will import a US DS so I can use it when I go to Vietnam and then when the DS comes out in the UK I can buy one for my bro and use the charger on that for both units at home. The only difference hardware wise is the charger right?

Any difference between US DSL and Japanese DSL?

kaizoku said:
Kinda off topic but what screen protectors do you guys use for your DS/DSL?

I heard the new Hori ones leave sticky residue and don't fit properly (whilst the old ones rocked - wtf?!). and dont tell me I dont need one! Ouendan kills all screens, especially when the environment is pretty dusty.

Also do you get a spare stylus at all with the US release? Think I will import a US DS so I can use it when I go to Vietnam and then when the DS comes out in the UK I can buy one for my bro and use the charger on that for both units at home. The only difference hardware wise is the charger right?

Any difference between US DSL and Japanese DSL?

absolutely none what so ever - yeah you said dont tell you that, but its true.

This is a handheld GAMING machine - the screens are strong and durable enough to withstand normal use.
Screen protectors are good for things such as PDAs (although not really necessary these days) and digital camera LCDs, but are not worth it for something like the DS which has a clam shell design that protects the screen anyway.
Screen protectors require fiddling around, in some cases trimming and they degrade the brightness and intensity of the screens appearance once applied.

As for styli - the DS Lite comes with an extra spare stylus and Nintendo also sell them seperately.

Shiggy

darthbane2k said:

This is a handheld GAMING machine - the screens are strong and durable enough to withstand normal use.
Screen protectors are good for things such as PDAs (although not really necessary these days) and digital camera LCDs, but are not worth it for something like the DS which has a clam shell design that protects the screen anyway.
Screen protectors require fiddling around, in some cases trimming and they degrade the brightness and intensity of the screens appearance once applied.

As for styli - the DS Lite comes with an extra spare stylus and Nintendo also sell them seperately.

But still...in case you don't want any scratches you need screen protectors...or just don't play with the DS. I just bought the HORI ones and hope they work (DS Lite protectors), my old DS unit got some scratches, although I used it properly. (scratches -> Ouendan and Mario 64 minigames)

Shiggy said:
But still...in case you don't want any scratches you need screen protectors...or just don't play with the DS. I just bought the HORI ones and hope they work (DS Lite protectors), my old DS unit got some scratches, although I used it properly. (scratches -> Ouendan and Mario 64 minigames)

again this is largely parnoia.
All you need is a decent quality case, and if your handheld device is designed like a clamshell to protect the screen (a la DS) anyway, thats even less reason to get a screen protector.

I really dont understand how you people have got scratches on your screen. Are you not using OFFICIAL DS Stylus? The tip of the DS Stylus is designed to be used on the touch screen without scratching or damaging the surface.

I have had an Ipaq, DS original, DS Lite (although new) and GBA SP. Have played the hell out of each and NO SCRATCHES at all. I (until recently) even had a PSP. All I used was a case and it was fine, no scratches.

sure you get smudges, finger marks and even grease somethimes, but this wipes off easily with a damp cloth.

If you want to fiddle with air bubbles, trimming edges and a reduction in brightness, color intensity and clarity from your screens, then by all means use protectors.

kaizoku

darthbane2k said:

There are a lot of guys on GAF who say this and I think its pretty irresponsible. The screen gets scratched - FACT. And because its a gaming machine makes it even worse than scratching a PDA as it affects performance in games.

Maybe you guys got lucky and your unit never scratched but you all know that scratches occur and that all it takes is one sweep of the stylus and bam you are scratched forever. So for the sake of protecting your investment - stop discouraging people from buying screen guards. Its a couple bucks to make sure your DS stays safe and I recommend it to everyone.

My DS got scratched and I played with Q Tips 90% of the time. I could identify scratches by games, vertical were meteos, curved were ouendan. 1 swipe out of thousands is all it takes for a scratch.

kaizoku said:
There are a lot of guys on GAF who say this and I think its pretty irresponsible. The screen gets scratched - FACT. And because its a gaming machine makes it even worse than scratching a PDA as it affects performance in games.

Maybe you guys got lucky and your unit never scratched but you all know that scratches occur and that all it takes is one sweep of the stylus and bam you are scratched forever. So for the sake of protecting your investment - stop discouraging people from buying screen guards. Its a couple bucks to make sure your DS stays safe and I recommend it to everyone.

My DS got scratched and I played with Q Tips 90% of the time. I could identify scratches by games, vertical were meteos, curved were ouendan. 1 swipe out of thousands is all it takes for a scratch.

its not irresponsible at all.
These things are hand held GAMES machines, they are designed to be used.
Scratches are very very rare, and if occur are NOT noticable, especially with that bright back light.
Tell me, is a screen protector worth the following?

1) fiddling for an hour trying to apply it straight
2) applying and reapplying constantly to get rid of visable air bubbles/pockets
3) losing brightness of the screen
4) losing intensity of the color on the screen
5) losing sensitivity of the touch screen (try playing trauma center with a protector and then try without)
6) having to 'trim' the protector if you buy a dodgy one that wont fit right
7) having to use a FINGER NAIL to lift the protector from your screen (which has MORE chance of scratching) when it needs replacing - which it will, because screen protectors scratch a hell of a lot more easily than the bare screen itself.

But to each his own, however I do not see the importance in screen protectors at all.

achilles

kaizoku said:

You played with Q-Tips?

rawk

I ordered this one. It's cheap, simple, and doesn't look likea purse. Even if it's not great I can use it until I see something better.

PA.59117.001.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
keys factory rocks. It has a nice smooth lining to stop getting your DS scratched.

And why do you need storage space? just chuck the DS carts in any little box you have lying around.

If you don't like the ring, you could probably cut off the ringpiece

kaizoku

darthbane2k said:
its not irresponsible at all.
These things are hand held GAMES machines, they are designed to be used.
Scratches are very very rare, and if occur are NOT noticable, especially with that bright back light.
Tell me, is a screen protector worth the following?

1) fiddling for an hour trying to apply it straight
2) applying and reapplying constantly to get rid of visable air bubbles/pockets
3) losing brightness of the screen
4) losing intensity of the color on the screen
5) losing sensitivity of the touch screen (try playing trauma center with a protector and then try without)
6) having to 'trim' the protector if you buy a dodgy one that wont fit right
7) having to use a FINGER NAIL to lift the protector from your screen (which has MORE chance of scratching) when it needs replacing - which it will, because screen protectors scratch a hell of a lot more easily than the bare screen itself.

But to each his own, however I do not see the importance in screen protectors at all.

It is irresponsible because you are suggesting DS screens will not scratch when in reality they do, lots of people on GAF have scratched screens and even if they are not visible you can feel them when you use your stylus. Over a course of 5 years I would rather go through that a few times than end up with 2 hairline scratches.

That said I didnt bother with my original DS cos of guys saying "it'll all be ok" and I regret it. I have no idea how it will affect gameplay so we'll see how that goes. All that hassle means nothing, a valid point is visibility and feel with the stylus though. But saying DS will not scratch to people is bad advice and I think thats irresponsible. Saying "mine was ok but others scratched - you decide" should be the way to go.

and yes I played with qtips, those sticks with 2 cotton things on each end, they were awesome and cleaned your screen as you played, couldnt make a scratch if you tried. Got the idea from Shiggy Miyamoto himself. Only game I had to use stylus for was Meteos cos it required high precision. Didnt own Trauma Center, but I regret switching to stylus for a session of Kirby cos the qtips were downstairs :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
R-User! said:
Edit: From the description of the Silicone Protector it says that it has "handgrips on each side for comfortable handling". Might be workable for you for now drohne. :)

Am buying one. :)

thanks -- looks promising. i can't tell from the pictures if it's the kind of thing i want, but please do post impressions if you end up buying one.

japtor

Fuzzy said:
I have nice slim ones that hold 3 DS games comfortably (4 games makes it hard to open).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/CanadianFonz/Games/DSGBCase.jpg

I like that we used the same games to display them. :)
yeah i tried that before, it was too much of a bitch to open the case, and wasnt all that much smaller than the dv tape case.

and that just happened to be my 'puzzly' case. meteos, polarium, and driller are in there as well.

as for other ds case suggestions, minidisc or camera stuff might work as well. i use an old case logic md case for my gba stuff. i think it might fit the ds lite as well.

rawk said:
I ordered this one. It's cheap, simple, and doesn't look likea purse. Even if it's not great I can use it until I see something better.

PA.59117.001.jpg

I bought the same one. It should be arriving sometime soon.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Feedbacker said:
I bought the same one. It should be arriving sometime soon.
Same here, mine shipped today.

Even if it's not great, the total cost including shipping was $15, so it's no big loss.

Grecco

Never used screen protectors with my original DS. It did get scratched, and im neurotic with my games.

Mind you, those scratches are not visible once the ds is powered on, but still they are there.

Having Said that, ill probably buy protectos once i pick up my DS Lite..

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Well, based on the recommendations in this thread, I bought that Hori Compact Pouch in black that a few people had mentioned here. Perhaps white and white would have made more sense, but maybe I'll eventually get a black DS Lite and it'll all work out. Also ordered the Hori screen protector a cleaning cloth. First time I've ordered from Play-Asia; how long does it usually take for stuff to arrive from them from the time it's shipped?

The PSP case gets my vote all day, my ceramic PSP is wrapped up in a PlayGear Pocket so the old case goes nicely with the DS:

psp-pouchhs.jpg

Not only does it match the look it also cleans the prints off the machine when removing it from the case :)

arab

replicashooter said:
The PSP case gets my vote all day, my ceramic PSP is wrapped up in a PlayGear Pocket so the old case goes nicely with the DS:

psp-pouchhs.jpg

Not only does it match the look it also cleans the prints off the machine when removing it from the case :)

But I'm afraid that If I just toss the PSP case inside my backpack, the DSlite will slide out...

Nope, a "virgin" PSP case thats had a DS Lite shoved inside holds it quite firmly. I always have a GBA game in my DS and that locks it in even more as you have to angle it to get it in and out.

arab

replicashooter said:
Nope, a "virgin" PSP case thats had a DS Lite shoved inside holds it quite firmly. I always have a GBA game in my DS and that locks it in even more as you have to angle it to get it in and out.

How many DS games/ styluses do you think you can hold?

You can only get one DSL (1 game, 1 GBA game and standard stylus in place) into the PSP case. Thats why I have this as well:

PC.ALS.NGC1.CN.JPG

For carrying my DS carts, plasticky GBA bit, headphones and cleaning cloth in. Incidentially, the GC game carry case is perfecto for PSP UMDs (which is what my other GC holder contains) :)

BooJoh

I got the neoprene sleeve from GameStop when I picked up my Lite today, and I really like it. The Lite is only about the size of the original DS while in the case, so I can still fit it in my pocket.

DSLite4.jpg

It also comes with this self-contained screen cleaning cloth that tucks into the attached pouch:

DSLite3.jpg

And this skin, which should be promptly destroyed, lest it destroy the solemn beauty of your new DS Lite:

DSLite6.jpg

No case for me. I don't put clamshell systems in cases. A few scratches and dings don't bother me. The functionality of the clamshell does it's job and protects the screen and controls. I buy the system to play games and I refuse to fetishize it. It'll be worth half what you paid in a couple of years no matter how obsessive you are about protecting it. The speed of snapping an SP or DS shut and tossing it in your pocket or bag is part of the beauty of the design.

Of course I keep the PSP in a case, but it's no clamshell.

aoi tsuki

The best "case" for me would be a fitted sleeve, similar to the pack-in for the PSP. Considering how simple the DS shape is, it would be rather easy to make one. Should be a rather simple project.

Tarazet

kaizoku said:

The silver DS Fat that my brother and I shared until today never got scratched. At all. Either you're pushing down too hard with your stylus, or you need to be declawed.

ProphetZG

I've ordered this Airform case:

ndsliteairform_white.jpg

ndsliteairform_gamecard.jpg

ndsliteairform_open.jpg

I have an Airform case for my GBASP+, and it's excellent, so this should be quite good too.

NOTE: don't confuse it with Airfoam, that's a different company!

aoi tsuki

dovella said:
The only problems i have with silicone cases in general is that they attract dust like a PSP attracrs scratches (though they come clean in warm water easily), and they're difficult to remove from your pockets. i've got a silicone case for my PDA and every time i pull it from my pocket i ended up inverting my pockets. Makes it impossible to remove my PDA if i'm wearing jeans. On the flip side, there's no chance that it'll slip out of your pocket as with slick cases, and the grippiness of the silicone makes it easier to hold.

thirty said:
does nobody like the aluminum briefcase style?

7760648_sa.jpg
I saw a guy with one of those in line on the first day of E3, but it was for his PSP. Great protection to be sure, but if I have to carry anything around I want it to be as small and light as possible.

I snagged one of the DS cases Nintendo was handing out (same ones they gave away at Nintendo World store last night) and it's great. I've got all 15 of my games in the pouch, I just don't have a Lite yet. :D

The freeone I got from EB kicks ass. Holds 3 DS games and 2 Advance games. Doesnt look like some stripper purse either. Only thing that sucks is the ugly ass Gamestop logo. Gross. But its very functional.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
beermonkey@tehbias said:
No case for me. I don't put clamshell systems in cases. A few scratches and dings don't bother me. The functionality of the clamshell does it's job and protects the screen and controls. I buy the system to play games and I refuse to fetishize it. It'll be worth half what you paid in a couple of years no matter how obsessive you are about protecting it. The speed of snapping an SP or DS shut and tossing it in your pocket or bag is part of the beauty of the design.

Of course I keep the PSP in a case, but it's no clamshell.

It's not even about that. I love being able to keep my DS strapped in, 8 handy slots each holding a DS game readily accessible, and an additional miscellaneous pouch that can hold wires, chargers, and GBA/DS games, all in a handy carrying case that fits in the smallest pocket of my bookbag. Sure beats having all that shit swimming around my bookbag.

StRaNgE

Banned
ProphetZG said:

ndsliteairform_white.jpg

ndsliteairform_open.jpg

I have an Airform case for my GBASP+, and it's excellent, so this should be quite good too.

that's it! i want that one.

is it stateside and what stores have it in stock. i fly out on thursday so need to go get it tomorrow.
how many games does it hold? just 3 or 6 (3 more on other side) is that a spot for the charger i see also?

perfect, i need more info.

mrkgoo

Currently, I'm using a neoprene-type slip I had from an old Sony Walkman. Fits like a glove! Maybe a little exposed at one end, but it mostly does its job. Trying to find something better, but there's nothing I like. I want slip type case. Might just stick with it.

I also use a lowepro memory case. Holds 6 DS (or 8), plus two GBA.

img44231ll.jpg

img44240zd.jpg

img44268kv.jpg

And just because I've been playing NSMB - a photo I took over the weekend...well, minus one part.

img4350mariosmall5nx.jpg

GG-Duo

StRaNgE said:
that's it! i want that one.

is it stateside and what stores have it in stock. i fly out on thursday so need to go get it tomorrow.
how many games does it hold? just 3 or 6 (3 more on other side) is that a spot for the charger i see also?

perfect, i need more info.

I don't think it's stateside :(
I was able to ebay it for ~10 bucks, shipping included... but it's from HK. Another friend also got his from hk.

ProphetZG said:
Why Airfoam isn't it good? I have one of these and I feel very solid and it protects DS Lite unit very well.

ndslite-dragon-airform-w1.jpg

The only con is that you don't have a lot of place to store your games inside..btw I think it's a nice protector for me.

ProphetZG said:

ndsliteairform_white.jpg

ndsliteairform_open.jpg

those 'aero' cases are as cheap as hell. That strap is bound to break within a few months too.
I have used the PSP equivilant (zipping it shut actually busted the plastic case of several UMD!) and my brother the DS equivilant (same strap story).
However the case WILL Protect the DS itself - its good for throwing into a bag, just dont cram it full of games, earphones, charger or whatever else you may be tempted to store.

Top Bottom