• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best of Idle Thumbs [370 minutes that will blow you away-IGN.com]

randomwab

thisyear_018.png

Idle Thumbs casts its pod into your face with hilarious talk about video gaming. Of Idle Thumbs, IGN.com purportedly noted “it’s so good it’ll rupture your ear drums and blow you into the ionosphere.” Riffing on both the legitimate and ridiculous sides of the video game industry, Chris Remo, Nick Breckon, and Jake Rodkin provided commentary that, if not wonderfully bizarre, was always intelligent.

Remo, Breckon, and Rodkin muse about console exclusivity, malevolent miners on Mars, and the Citizen Kane of video games. What is Gordon Freeman really like? What would a Shadow of the Colossus movie be like? Video games come alive, computers make horrific noises, fanboys whine and wizards of various qualities enter our realm. And there is no greater joy in our world than rolling a grenade down a hill in Far Cry 2.

Link: http://thisyearcollection.blogspot.com/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html
RSS/iTunes: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ThisYear--RecappingTheBestPodcasts

Let the bag of Idle reference commence!

V_Ben

Banned
oh my goodness yes. But yeah, every episode of Idle thumbs is the best idle thumbs.

*sits patiently and awaits news that Chris Remo, Steve Gaynor and Shawn Elliott are starting up Irrational Thumbs.

*is going to be sitting for a long, long time

randomwab

V_Ben said:
oh my goodness yes. But yeah, every episode of Idle thumbs is the best idle thumbs.

*sits patiently and awaits news that Chris Remo, Steve Gaynor and Shawn Elliott are starting up Irrational Thumbs.

*is going to be sitting for a long, long time

*is sitting with V_Ben

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ahhh, Thumbs... are there any quality, thoughtful but light-hearted gaming podcasts around anymore?

Also, FarCry 2 is garbage.

Dynoro

By far the best podcast out there - thoroughly looking forward to recapping 6 hours worth of video games and scoops

- J - D -

I started listening to Idle Thumbs because of the love they gave to Far Cry 2.

Thanks for this collection. I really liked the previous ones (1up Yours, etc etc).

Lothars

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
I started listening to Idle Thumbs because of the love they gave to Far Cry 2.

Thanks for this collection. I really liked the previous ones (1up Yours, etc etc).
I agree the collections have all been great, my only complaint is the first GFW collection because it's only 2 hours and I wish it would have been longer.

I really hope this collection has horse bag in it.

- J - D -

Lothars said:
I agree the collections have all been great, my only complaint is the first GFW collection because it's only 2 hours and I wish it would have been longer.

I really hope this collection has horse bag in it.

Yeah, the 2-hour GFW collection seems anemic now considering that the 1UP Yours collection was like 15 hours long (or something) and this Idle Thumbs one is 6 hours long.

Fjordson

Can't wait to listen. And lmao @ the picture.

Steve Youngblood said:
Does the best of ignore all of the contributions from Steve "Hot Scoops" Gaynor?
Hope not. Gaynor was awesome on this.

Lothars said:

Remember that the GFW best-of was only for 2006; we'll get to the years 2007 and 2008 in February -> April of 2012.

It was shorter primarily because the first year of GFW podcasts were each about 30 minutes in length. Also, they tended to include more drab, serious discussion (with rotating cast members like Garnett Lee and other guests) that is not representative of what GFW Radio would eventually become. Only toward the end of 2006, for the last few months, did the show come into its own.

For that reason the GFW recap is a little short compared to the other gaming podcast best-ofs. But we still gleaned about 7% of the show from the time period we selected, which is a standard amount of the original material for all our best-ofs. (This Idle Thumbs recap contains 7% of the full run of 81 hours, for instance.)

Incidentally, this recap doesn't include any shows from the "Idle Thumbs Podcast" with Steve Gaynor. That's treated as a different show that will likely receive its own best-of in the future. We wanted to keep the two Idle Thumbs eras separate here.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Been waiting for this one for a long time now.
*baboo*

Sneds

ZanzibarBreeze said:
Remember that the GFW best-of was only for 2006; we'll get to the years 2007 and 2008 in February -> April of 2012.

It was shorter primarily because the first year of GFW podcasts were each about 30 minutes in length. Also, they tended to include more drab, serious discussion (with rotating cast members like Garnett Lee and other guests) that is not representative of what GFW Radio would eventually become. Only toward the end of 2006, for the last few months, did the show come into its own.

For that reason the GFW recap is a little short compared to the other gaming podcast best-ofs. But we still gleaned about 7% of the show from the time period we selected, which is a standard amount of the original material for all our best-ofs. (This Idle Thumbs recap contains 7% of the full run of 81 hours, for instance.)

Incidentally, this recap doesn't include any shows from the "Idle Thumbs Podcast" with Steve Gaynor. That's treated as a different show that will likely receive its own best-of in the future. We wanted to keep the two Idle Thumbs eras separate here.

Thanks for creating these collections. I like them a lot.

Struct09

Love these collections. Currently listening to some older Adam Carrola highlights, and will definitely listen to the Idle Thumbs one.

Top Bottom