• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best of Idle Thumbs [370 minutes that will blow you away-IGN.com]

Maybe I'll give it a try. After GFW Radio ended I haven't really listened to any podcasts. Well, used to listen to Geekbox but stopped after everyone kept leaving and Justin Haywald kept showing up. :/

THRILLH0

Banned
I wouldn't categorize using the word "retarded" to describe anything vaguely negative or spending half of every episode laughing hysterically at your own jokes "always intelligent", but whatever floats your boat.

AShep said:
I wouldn't categorize using the word "retarded" to describe anything vaguely negative or spending half of every episode laughing hysterically at your own jokes "always intelligent", but whatever floats your boat.
Intelligent discussions are not allowed to be fun and must adhere to strict Politically Correct guidelines at all times

THRILLH0

Banned
Rodney McKay said:
Intelligent discussions are not allowed to be fun and must adhere to strict Politically Correct guidelines at all times
Nah mate, my love for the Bombcast, Brodeo and 1up Yours would suggest that humour and the occassional bout of political correctness aren't a problem for me.

Personally I just feel that constantly beating in-jokes into the ground and using "retarded" as a proxy for stupid or unenjoyable just becomes obnoxious after awhile.

Gattsu25

Banned
ZanzibarBreeze said:
Remember that the GFW best-of was only for 2006; we'll get to the years 2007 and 2008 in February -> April of 2012.

It was shorter primarily because the first year of GFW podcasts were each about 30 minutes in length. Also, they tended to include more drab, serious discussion (with rotating cast members like Garnett Lee and other guests) that is not representative of what GFW Radio would eventually become. Only toward the end of 2006, for the last few months, did the show come into its own.

For that reason the GFW recap is a little short compared to the other gaming podcast best-ofs. But we still gleaned about 7% of the show from the time period we selected, which is a standard amount of the original material for all our best-ofs. (This Idle Thumbs recap contains 7% of the full run of 81 hours, for instance.)

Incidentally, this recap doesn't include any shows from the "Idle Thumbs Podcast" with Steve Gaynor. That's treated as a different show that will likely receive its own best-of in the future. We wanted to keep the two Idle Thumbs eras separate here.
Thanks for this. I will download later today.

Sneds

AShep said:

BooThisMan.gif

snoopeasystreet said:
My other car is a booth babe.

was this an idle thumbs quote? Hopefully, cause it's rad
This was actually a slogan printed on some Idle Thumbs merchandise that was sold years ago, before the podcast started. I'm impressed you are aware of it, because searching for "my other car is a booth babe" in quotes in Google doesn't even turn up any results.

randomwab

Chris Remo said:
This was actually a slogan printed on some Idle Thumbs merchandise that was sold years ago, before the podcast started. I'm impressed you are aware of it, because searching for "my other car is a booth babe" in quotes in Google doesn't even turn up any results.

I think you guys mentioned it on the podcast, with Scoops saying it was the worst. More like best.

Chris Remo said:
Was it a t shirt? I remember wanting a thumbs shirt back when the site had more words on it but the postage to Ireland was either too dear or it couldn't be delivered.

snoopeasystreet said:
Was it a t shirt? I remember wanting a thumbs shirt back when the site had more words on it but the postage to Ireland was either too dear or it couldn't be delivered.
Yeah, it was a shirt, and I think also other things.

OMG LOVE !!! :D:D:D so awesome will listen to it again and again and again.

But one of my fav moments from thumbs is that THEY predicted the tony hawk ride board that is just insane :D.
Also the Nintendo horseback thing omg that was so hilarious.

randomwab

You know, everyone points out how Thumbs predicted Left4Dead 2 and the Tony Hawk controller, but in one of the 'casts they actually predicted the entire Infinity Ward fiasco, like, one year before it happened. I need to figure out which one it was, but relistening to it a few weeks ago I was like "Seriously, they are Nostradesque"

Jake

It's a legitimate HUGE honor to have a This Year made from our podcast! Holy shit.

randomwab said:
You know, everyone points out how Thumbs predicted Left4Dead 2 and the Tony Hawk controller, but in one of the 'casts they actually predicted the entire Infinity Ward fiasco, like, one year before it happened. I need to figure out which one it was, but relistening to it a few weeks ago I was like "Seriously, they are Nostradesque"
That was always surprising, and really entertaining. Our general strategy of trying to crack each other up, by proposing the most insane spun-out hypothetical situation possible, came back on us surprisingly often by the games industry actually doing it.
AShep said:
In hindsight I definitely regret some of the language used on Thumbs, but I don't regret the laughter. I guess "it's not professional to laugh at your own jokes" is the official saying, but I think that applies more to stand-up and sketch comedy -- shows based on prepared material -- than it does to improv, radio shows, and to podcasts, which are often actual unprepared, off the cuff interactions between friends. It's rarely "laughing at your own jokes" as much as it is "cracking up your friends," which I think is very different.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AShep said:
"Intellectually disabled" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Shaneus

The Dutch Slayer said:
OMG LOVE !!! :D:D:D so awesome will listen to it again and again and again.

But one of my fav moments from thumbs is that THEY predicted the tony hawk ride board that is just insane :D.
Also the Nintendo horseback thing omg that was so hilarious.
Horsebag, I think you meant :)

bestami

Enjoyed Idle Thumbs more than Brodeo. These two shows were genuinely more funny and interesting than vast majority of the professional entertainment that i pay for today. I've stopped listening to podcasts after "the idle thumbs" podcast. That shows how devasted i was.

p.s i won't be needing this as i occasionaly visit older episodes anyway.

THRILLH0

Banned
Jake said:
In hindsight I definitely regret some of the language used on Thumbs, but I don't regret the laughter. I guess "it's not professional to laugh at your own jokes" is the official saying, but I think that applies more to stand-up and sketch comedy -- shows based on prepared material -- than it does to improv, radio shows, and to podcasts, which are often actual unprepared, off the cuff interactions between friends. It's rarely "laughing at your own jokes" as much as it is "cracking up your friends," which I think is very different.

That's fair. I guess it was just sometimes that I felt like the cracking up with your friends was getting in the way of the discussion which i actually tended to enjoy more often than not. I do appreciate the difference between that and the "haha I'm oh so funny" laughter you refer to.

I also just have a personal bugbear about the perjorative use of "retard" so I'm glad you can at least see where I'm coming from.

On the whole, I did actually very much enjoy the podcast despite the tone of my earlier posts!

Jake

Chris Remo said:

From an old super pre-podcast Thumbs CafePress store:

22223560v0_350x350_Front.jpg

Most all of that stuff was stupid as hell. All of it is from ~2005, nearly all of it is related to forum and frontpage injokes from that time. I think we started this store as a joke when the whole staff was in town together right before E3 2005, and yet still ordered everything from it. I think I still have the clock made of Idle Forums avatar smileys... Kill me.

El Sloth

Banned
Jake said:
That was always surprising, and really entertaining. Our general strategy of trying to crack each other up, by proposing the most insane spun-out hypothetical situation possible, came back on us surprisingly often by the games industry actually doing it.
The real reason Ken Levine ruined everything.

He's actually part of an industry wide conspiracy to dismantle the fortune telling power of the Thumbs.

eller711

Neo Member
Just opened my Uncharted 3 and saw something that made me think of you guys.

L0APx.jpg

You are missed, Thumbs. You are missed.

Jintor

Nearly done. I really am glad I went through the entire archives earlier in the year.

I want to listen to the Bradcast again.

El Sloth

Banned
Piggo said:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/464424/original.jpg[/IMG

A small token of my appreciation for a wonderful podcast. Getting to see them at PAX and then play Weinhändler after was amazing. Love these guys. Yes, even Nick. Can't wait to listen to it.[/QUOTE]
Good lord, it's a puffin wearing a wizard's hat.

God, I wonder if any of those ridiculous domain names are still around--the only one I remember offhand is 8bitcock which I'm too scared to try haha. Miss this show. :(

Also, I would buy that wizard puffin thumbs design (above) on a shirt so fast.

Ondore

MaritalWheat said:
God, I wonder if any of those ridiculous domain names are still around--the only one I remember offhand is 8bitcock which I'm too scared to try haha. Miss this show. :(

Also, I would buy that wizard puffin thumbs design (above) on a shirt so fast.

I can confirm that WonderBoner.info does NOT work as intended anymore. :(

FStop7

Banned
I have never, ever laughed harder at anything related to games than I did for the Phaedrus kidnapper distorted voice ransom message.

NO YOU HANG UP.

Xander51

I've downloaded this but haven't listened to it yet. Really looking forward to it though. This is my favorite podcast of all time ever. I used to carry around all of the episodes on my phone for easy access.

Ashitaka

I just wanted to add a thanks for compiling this to ZanzibarBreeze and a thanks to the Thumbs for my favorite podcast of all time. To be honest just having a PC focused gaming podcast puts you guys in the top five, but it helps that you were incredibly funny, insightful, and occasionally nonsensical (puffins!). I look forward to once again thinking I'm about to be pulled over on my way to work tomorrow because of the cops driving by Chris's apartment.

Piggo said:

I NEED this in high res ! Anyone know if it's available somewhere online by the great fan who made it? Couldn't find it with my limited search skills.

Also big props to ZBreeze for doing this. I have listened to the entire run of Idle Thumbs 2 times now and I seriously wouldn't know where to begin a compilation, so many good moments.

I'd have to agree on the retarded thing. I have younger brothers who are mentally disabled, so it would often make me cringe when they'd drop it so casually.

For me, and others, using retarded like that has the same effect that calling something bad or negative "gay" or someone acting poorly a "faggot" does to others.

Of course the meaning and use of retarded isn't confined solely to disabled persons, but it's pretty clear by the Thumbs use and tone where it was coming from.

Not a huge deal, I myself used "that's gay" longer than I should have as a negative. It just seems that guys as smart as the Thumbs crew should have probably phased out that word usage before reaching, or nearly so, the age of 30.

It's really worth listening to whole run of Idle Thumbs. Speaking of excellent podcasts, does anyone know where I can download the "out of the game" podcasts? they seem to have vanished from the internet.

gabbo

This will be excellent.
Odious Tea, The Dreamcast and its timing (I swear I could hear the shit eating grins over the mics at the beginning of that segment), hearing Chris mispronounce my last name (Woo XCom remake emails at 2am!)... so many memories from the various incarnations of the show...

And then he drove to the MOON (Bioshock 5: Bioshock on the Moon: Moonshock)!
C2hkW.jpg

Listening to the Flower talk right now and legitimately sitting here laughing out loud.

Chris: "....also the people complaining about it being $10 not $5, screw you."

Jake: "that's like two fucking volcano tacos"

I lost it.

Top Bottom