• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best of Idle Thumbs [370 minutes that will blow you away-IGN.com]

Fjordson

ZanzibarBreeze said:
Incidentally, this recap doesn't include any shows from the "Idle Thumbs Podcast" with Steve Gaynor. That's treated as a different show that will likely receive its own best-of in the future. We wanted to keep the two Idle Thumbs eras separate here.
Ah, makes sense.

Thanks for all your work on these. They're great.

Piggo

original.jpg

A small token of my appreciation for a wonderful podcast. Getting to see them at PAX and then play Weinhändler after was amazing. Love these guys. Yes, even Nick. Can't wait to listen to it.

Lothars

ZanzibarBreeze said:
Remember that the GFW best-of was only for 2006; we'll get to the years 2007 and 2008 in February -> April of 2012.

It was shorter primarily because the first year of GFW podcasts were each about 30 minutes in length. Also, they tended to include more drab, serious discussion (with rotating cast members like Garnett Lee and other guests) that is not representative of what GFW Radio would eventually become. Only toward the end of 2006, for the last few months, did the show come into its own.

For that reason the GFW recap is a little short compared to the other gaming podcast best-ofs. But we still gleaned about 7% of the show from the time period we selected, which is a standard amount of the original material for all our best-ofs. (This Idle Thumbs recap contains 7% of the full run of 81 hours, for instance.)

Incidentally, this recap doesn't include any shows from the "Idle Thumbs Podcast" with Steve Gaynor. That's treated as a different show that will likely receive its own best-of in the future. We wanted to keep the two Idle Thumbs eras separate here.
I know and I am a big fan of your collections and I am really happy that you keep doing them.

Ceebs

One of the best Holy Shit moments of either run of the show was Famous' Epic Mickey story from like the most recent one.

Noaloha

The funny conversations in Idle Thumbs were so good.

The interesting conversations in Idle Thumbs were even so gooder.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Having a hard time finding this navigating using just the iTunes store on an iPhone. Any tips as to what the podcast exhibiting this is called in the store? Not having luck with "This Year"

Sunflower said:
Having a hard time finding this navigating using just the iTunes store on an iPhone. Any tips as to what the podcast exhibiting this is called in the store? Not having luck with "This Year"
Just subscribe to the RSS feed in iTunes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Big Rig said:
Just subscribe to the RSS feed in iTunes.

I need the right naaaaaame as this isn't actually 'idle thumbs' feed. Wah :O

*Chris Remo nerd voice*

I downloaded each podcast in order to listen to them consecutively so that I can maintain a ratiocinative manner in which I will tally the usage of the word "wizard". Nyaaaaah!

Great OP, it's motherfucking horse bag time.

Just finished Tomb Raider Underworld and was reminded of when Remo spoiled the Zombie mom ending to that shitty game. THANKS FOR THAT!

Shurs

I loved both Idle Thumbs and The Idle Thumbs Podcast, and I think it's cool that there's a "best of," but I'd suggest that anyone looking to potentially get into the podcast just listen to the full episodes.

They're worth your time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Man. Such a fantastic run of podcasts. It's a shame Gaynor and Remo aren't doing something podcast related at the moment. I know it wouldn't be the same without Rodkin, but yeah.

Shaneus

Shurs said:
I loved both Idle Thumbs and The Idle Thumbs Podcast, and I think it's cool that there's a "best of," but I'd suggest that anyone looking to potentially get into the podcast just listen to the full episodes.

They're worth your time.
Yeah, it is well worth it. It's also great that iOS5 no longer has a weird bug with podcast art and now displays everything for IT.

I only started listening a year and a bit ago but for about a month and a half, until I caught up it was all I listened to. Then I looked like a dipshit making all these in-jokes that everyone else had made a year or so prior.

adelante

Piggo said:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/464424/original.jpg[//IMG]

A small token of my appreciation for a wonderful podcast. Getting to see them at PAX and then play Weinhändler after was amazing. Love these guys. Yes, even Nick. Can't wait to listen to it.[/QUOTE]
OMGGGGGG i remember the whole puffin talk LMAO gawd I miss this podcast

Chris Remo said:
NO PROBLEM ANY TIME
Had I not known her demise ahead of time I would have been much more enthralled in the... interestingly... told story of the game. Maybe it's my fault for not playing Legend or Anniverary for years before this one, but I'm pretty sure it was just all bad.

Rodney McKay said:
Had I not known her demise ahead of time I would have been much more enthralled in the... interestingly... told story of the game. Maybe it's my fault for not playing Legend or Anniverary for years before this one, but I'm pretty sure it was just all bad.
It was the only Tomb Raider game I had played since Tomb Raider 1. I actually really enjoyed Underworld as a game but the story stuff could not possibly have been more absurd.

Shurs

Rez said:
Man. Such a fantastic run of podcasts. It's a shame Gaynor and Remo aren't doing something podcast related at the moment. I know it wouldn't be the same without Rodkin, but yeah.

Tough to replace Jake, for sure, but I'd love to see an Idle Thumbs-esque podcast with Remo, Gaynor and Shawn Elliott. That's a dream lineup.

Jintor

Games.

Video games.

Video games. Video games. Video...

ga-ee-ames, video games. Video games. Video games... video-

(Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaameeeeeeeeees!) ga-ee-ames, video games. Video games. Video games... video-

(Video gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-eeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaaaaaaameeeeeeeeees, video-) ga-ee-ames, video games. Video games. Video games, video-

(Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaameeeeeeees!) ga-ee-ames, video games, Video games, Video games, video-

(Video gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-eeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaaaaaaameeeeeeeeees, video-) ga-ee-ames, video games, Video games, Video games, video-

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaames.

I listened to every episode, and I can't for the life of me remember where the Boost Remo moniker came from. I vaguely remember some sort of robot voice saying it, but I don't know.

Helmholtz

Very cool. I only found out about this podcast around the time when it was ending, so I never got into it. I'm going to give this a listen. Is there a similar best of for GFW?

Chris Remo said:
It was the only Tomb Raider game I had played since Tomb Raider 1. I actually really enjoyed Underworld as a game but the story stuff could not possibly have been more absurd.
Maybe I had played too much Prince of Persia since the last Tomb Raider I played (Anniversary on the PSP, surprisingly great!). Going through my steam backlog I played through PoP:sands of time, warrior within, and the newest one (neanderthal prince) in the last 6 months to a year. I just found the controls a little clunkier than I would have liked.

I've almost always enjoyed Tomb Raider's slower paces puzzles more than most of the PoP games. I just ran into a lot of 'jank' in Underworld. Getting sucked between 2 grinding cylinders and ragdolling only to pop out with some health taken off was probably the most amusing. Pity it didn't allow for the Steam overlay so I didn't take any pictures.

Shurs

Shaneus said:
What's Elliott from? I'm out of the podcast loop (ie. IT is the only one I've listened to).

He is best known for CGW/GFW podcast, which is another now-defunct podcast that I'd highly recommend. It's the only game-related podcast that I'd put side-by-side with Idle Thumbs.

Shawn has a great talent for bring not only interesting, in-depth conversation about games to the table, but also hilarious off-topic stories.

Sample.

Shaneus

Shurs said:
He is best known for CGW/GFW podcast, which is another now-defunct podcast that I'd highly recommend. It's the only game-related podcast that I'd put side-by-side with Idle Thumbs.

Shawn has a great talent for bring not only interesting, in-depth conversation about games to the table, but also hilarious off-topic stories.

Sample.
Ahahaha, that's brilliant. Will start getting GFW now.

Shurs

Shaneus said:
Ahahaha, that's brilliant. Will start getting GFW now.

A word of warning: They start off a bit rough, as the crew didn't really want to do a podcast.

Eventually it grew into something great.

Top Bottom