• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

yeah mullibooms are cellar only and seeds are affected by unlocks

All the common wikis show them as being in the basement as well as the cellar. /shrug.

Oh well, Platinum is mine. The effort of doing all this crap on a second file really soured me on the game though. What should have been a fun finish turned into me farming seed exploits with a 12 minute start-to-Mom's Heart kill time and abusing the crap out of syncing to get Dead Boy (again). Doing it legit once was enough for me.

I have no doubt I will play this game again though once the sour wears off, it'll be nice to just dink around and see what kind of combos I can come up with now that I have no real goal.

Nabs

@EdmundMcMillenn 9 minutes ago
just a heads up, just did the math and there will be easily over 100 new items in the upcoming rebirth expansion.. on top of A LOT more...

‏@EdmundMcMillenn 6 minutes ago
maybe next monday ill do a more in depth blog update with another feedback suggestion box (via reddit)...

Ambitious

Are seeds platform-specific?
I tried a few posted on Reddit and the Steam forum, but only some of them worked as advertised. Others clearly didn't. For instance, some would claim that a certain item would be dropped by the first boss, but it didn't. I didn't write down or memorize which seeds worked and which didn't, but I think none of the seeds from the Steam forums worked (some, but not all from Reddit worked perfectly). I'm playing on my Vita, so this appears to confirm my theory of seeds being platform-specific.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
just a heads up, just did the math and there will be easily over 100 new items in the upcoming rebirth expansion.. on top of A LOT more...

‏@EdmundMcMillenn 6 minutes ago
maybe next monday ill do a more in depth blog update with another feedback suggestion box (via reddit)...
I wonder if we'll get the expansion before the patch.

Raven77

Can anyone tell me what the items that are basically two circles do? I've seen two white ones, a red and one with red dots, two yellow. They just have ??? next to them. I can't find an explanation anywhere.

Also are the card items glitched? Sometimes they do something, then the next run the same card seems to have no effect.

Can anyone tell me what the items that are basically two circles do? I've seen two white ones, a red and one with red dots, two yellow. They just have ??? next to them. I can't find an explanation anywhere.

Also are the card items glitched? Sometimes they do something, then the next run the same card seems to have no effect.

The circles with two colors and ??? are pills. Eat one to find out what it does. Once one has been identified in your current game it will no longer show ??? but rather what the pill actually does.

Some of the teleport cards don't do anything under some circumstances. I'm not aware of any other cards that do nothing.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Are seeds platform-specific?
I tried a few posted on Reddit and the Steam forum, but only some of them worked as advertised. Others clearly didn't. For instance, some would claim that a certain item would be dropped by the first boss, but it didn't. I didn't write down or memorize which seeds worked and which didn't, but I think none of the seeds from the Steam forums worked (some, but not all from Reddit worked perfectly). I'm playing on my Vita, so this appears to confirm my theory of seeds being platform-specific.
They are not platform specific, but they may differ depending on which items you have unlocked. Many PC and PS4 seeds have worked with my Vita version.
I saved a really good seed a long time ago, and when I try to use it now the result is different. Probably because I unlocked more items.

SerTapTap

Might just want to use platinumgod.co.uk to verify what items do. A very rare few items are glitched but the cards and pills all work as advertised.

fixed

If this was an Ubi game we'd get the expansion for free at least. But Nicalis doesn't seem like a company that cares about its reputation to me.

Giving the expansion here would be akin to Ubi giving the FULL Season pass for free. They've never done that. They give a small fragment of already planned DLC.

Some of the teleport cards don't do anything under some circumstances.

Don't think this is true--if a teleport card's normal use is impossible, it will act as a random teleport.

SO many frurstrating moments happening in this game; run after run ruined by some shitty thing and then by some cosmic karma got ludovico technique + gnawed leaf + guppy as azazel and suddenly i only had to stand still to beat ??? for the first time

SerTapTap

SO many frurstrating moments happening in this game; run after run ruined by some shitty thing and then by some cosmic karma got ludovico technique + gnawed leaf + guppy as azazel and suddenly i only had to stand still to beat ??? for the first time

Gnawed Leaf + Demon Baby was some of the cheapest crap I've ever done in a game, but it was pretty funny and I'm glad I got to do it once.

What are you having runs ruined by? With a few exceptions, most issues can be overcome by a mix of skill and knowledge. There are definitely times where not picking up an item is preferable, and lots of assorted tricks to make the most of a bad situation. Usually there should not be a singular moment your run goes to shit, unless you pick up an item with extremely bad anti-synergy (for instance, Tiny Planet + Monstro's Lung and no range makes it almost impossible to damage).

hbkdx12

I wish after getting true platinum God or whatever it is where you've unlocked every single thing that they'd grant you some kind of cheat engine mod where you can spawn with your own selection of items.

Now that I've unlocked everything I generally only find myself playing as azazel or judas seeing as how they're starting dps is probably better than any other starting character

I like issac and the d4 but I find myself personally frustrated when I question if I should re roll a mid teir item and when I do I get something far shittier.

Gnawed Leaf + Demon Baby was some of the cheapest crap I've ever done in a game, but it was pretty funny and I'm glad I got to do it once.

What are you having runs ruined by? With a few exceptions, most issues can be overcome by a mix of skill and knowledge. There are definitely times where not picking up an item is preferable, and lots of assorted tricks to make the most of a bad situation. Usually there should not be a singular moment your run goes to shit, unless you pick up an item with extremely bad anti-synergy (for instance, Tiny Planet + Monstro's Lung and no range makes it almost impossible to damage).

Honestly, mostly is just me not playing ideally and dying on something stupid, so it's never really unfair. But I've definitely gotten better. I did all of the challenges the last few days and there were just a lot of frustrating moments, like dying in the room just before Mom's heart with a fully charged bible, a lot of stuff like that. I guess being confined to the limits of the challenges made for a lot of unfortunate deaths and being a bit unlucky with items.

I've played this more than what could possibly be healthy so I've learned, by trail and error + the cheat sheet, about most of the items and what I should avoid depending on characted/build by now. I first got this though PS+ and honestly didn't expect to like it that much but got totally hooked by it after a short while and had to buy it on steam just to be able to play it anywhere possible. I think it's one of the best and addicting games I've ever played, despite it being frustrating from time to time.

Playing now and I just got Ludovico Technique + Guppy.

This is amazing.

I've been playing this game a bit casually. I got book of revelations right after unlocking "It Lives" and got a full meat boy.

I had heard completing meat boy was frustrating so I wasn't expecting it to be so easy. I guess I got stupidly lucky there.

I lost against the lamb because of some bullshit where I teleported every other hit. Not sure which item did that but it doomed me.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've been playing this game a bit casually. I got book of revelations right after unlocking "It Lives" and got a full meat boy.

I had heard completing meat boy was frustrating so I wasn't expecting it to be so easy. I guess I got stupidly lucky there.

I lost against the lamb because of some bullshit where I teleported every other hit. Not sure which item did that but it doomed me.

Cursed Eye. If you're hit while charging your shot, it teleports you. It's a horrible item.

Did you have the cursed skull trinket? I think it does something like that

It was that Goddamn charge shot then?
It wasn't even remotely useful, actually made things harder. That teleport is really shitty.

Cursed Eye, the Yellow Syringe(Experimental Treatment), and the Broken Mirror(My Reflection) are the three items I can think of that I will avoid above all others.

Several other items are dubious and require good Synergy with other items(like Bob's Brain), or are dubious and require avoiding with other items(the aforementioned Monstro's Lung + Tiny Planet), but those 3 are particularly bad IMO in that I genuinely can't think of a situation where I'm like "Ooh, here's an item I want given my build".

In case you don't know Experimental Treatment shuffles your stats and My Reflection makes your shots boomerang back to you, which sounds great except it cuts your range in half.

SerTapTap

Now that I've unlocked everything I generally only find myself playing as azazel or judas seeing as how they're starting dps is probably better than any other starting character

I like issac and the d4 but I find myself personally frustrated when I question if I should re roll a mid teir item and when I do I get something far shittier.

I kind of thought they would do this after Spidermod but I guess not.

As for rerolls, I find the fundamental problem with them is they won't give you stuff you've already gotten. Eventually you're just rerolling all items into Breakfast, and you'll never again get the cool shit you had before--also some stuff like Guppy bits don't seem to be in whatever pool the reroller uses.

It was that Goddamn charge shot then?
It wasn't even remotely useful, actually made things harder. That teleport is really shitty.

Yeah that's one of the worst items in the game. I don't think even optimal use of it increases your DPS, and it's more annoying to aim with, and that's BEFORE the cursed bullshit. I once had to fight The Lamb over a dozen times because of that thing and Dead Cat. I teleported out until I had no health, then I died until I ran down a full dead cat, a few procs of guppy's collar, and finally the Ankh. I DID kill it though, finally, and without taking a hit. Build was shit damage-wise too thanks to the eye.

Cursed Eye, the Yellow Syringe(Experimental Treatment), and the Broken Mirror(My Reflection) are the three items I can think of that I will avoid above all others.

I think Broken Mirror just resets your range to default, I actually rather like it. It's fantastic with homing tears too. Just moving forward usually gives them enough range to hit almost anything in a 1x1 room even at base range, and range ups are quite common.

EMT0

Banned
Experimental Treatment can actually be a life saver if your run is really damage weak when you take it. It's awesome if you have something like PhD and got a bunch of range upgrades instead of tears upgrades; the stat shuffling has a pretty good chance of helping you far more than hindering you in these situations. IMO, it's situational, but potentially very useful.

My most hated items tend to be Soy Milk, Cursed Eye, and Tiny Planet. Usually because I'm never doing enough damage with the former and the latter to justify using them cool synergies aside, and the middle one for the above stated reasons. Dr. Fetus used to be on my list but it can be incredibly fun and is broken as hell with enough bomb upgrades. With Pyromaniac...mhmmmmmmmmm, good stuff.

I actually had a run yesterday as Isaac where I got Curse of the Blind on my first floor and took Soy Milk from my treasure room. I thought I was doomed, but managed to get Brimstone thanks to snagging the Necronomicon from a devil room and rerolling it. But Soy Milk'ified Brimstone is godawful, so a reroll saved my hide. Getting Abbadon soon after had me doing victory laps by the time I hit the cathedral.

SerTapTap

Experimental Treatment is a big damn lie and doesn't shuffle shit. Wiki:

Despite the item's description, the item does not actually increase all stats or shuffle them.
Each increase or decrease for a stat will change it by a fixed value:
±1 Health.
±1 Damage.
±0.5 Speed.
±0.5 Range.
±0.2 Shot Speed.
±1 Luck.

I'd only use it if your Damage is already 1 so it can't hurt or if your run is so garbage you're willing to gamble.

One of my favorite runs ever was Soy Milk + Tiny Planet + Lump of Coal + a bunch of damage ups.

Normally I don't like Soy Milk or Tiny Planet but this build was phenomenal. I was a walking ball of death, and even bosses who stepped in it would just melt.

I think Broken Mirror just resets your range to default, I actually rather like it. It's fantastic with homing tears too. Just moving forward usually gives them enough range to hit almost anything in a 1x1 room even at base range, and range ups are quite common.

Take a unit with base range and pick up broken mirror and you have to get closer to hit. I assumed it halved effective range because it makes sense since it has to go out and back.

Range ups are common in some games. In some games you'll never see any.

This is actually the reason I didn't like the Suicide King challenge, because My Reflection makes your start range just barely outside of blow yourself up range. Judging that line between "hit just the enemy" and "hit the enemy and me" is annoyingly difficult, especially against enemies who move erratically.

EMT0

Banned
Experimental Treatment is a big damn lie and doesn't shuffle shit. Wiki:

I'd only use it if your Damage is already 1 so it can't hurt or if your run is so garbage you're willing to gamble.

That makes me sad. A potentially cool item just turned into shit, just like that :(

SerTapTap

That makes me sad. A potentially cool item just turned into shit, just like that :(

Yeah, it's a brilliant idea, but not executed in a sensible way (but surely a far easier way to program). The way I thought it would work is +1 "pip" to all stats, then shuffle those values. But the item screen basically lies to you about how simple the stats are, so they probably gave up on actually shuffling like that

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, it's a brilliant idea, but not executed in a sensible way (but surely a far easier way to program). The way I thought it would work is +1 "pip" to all stats, then shuffle those values. But the item screen basically lies to you about how simple the stats are, so they probably gave up on actually shuffling like that

I wonder if it's intended to be that way or if they'll eventually "fix" it. It'd be a pretty interesting item if they actually made it work like it's described.

SerTapTap

I wonder if it's intended to be that way or if they'll eventually "fix" it. It'd be a pretty interesting item if they actually made it work like it's described.

I kinda doubt it, there's no way it's a bug as what it does is very particular but clearly has nothing to do with the described way of doing things. Also they can't even acknowledge the trophy bugs I doubt they'll mess with one weird item at this point. They probably made the description, found it'd be a pain to code and did "the next best thing"

Just wanted to drop by to say that I finally unlocked Godhead. No seeds used, over 3 hundred deaths probably.
I was almost killed by the lamb lol ><

Haunted

&#8207;@EdmundMcMillenn 6 minutes ago
100 new items sounds great, I also hope that A LOT more includes other areas of the game, there's so much room to grow for the game in features.

1. Daily challenges with fixed seeds (Spelunky style)
  2. new challenges
  3. more room types*
  4. new floors
  5. an alternative to (boss spoilers)
    Mega Satan in the Chest - he feels right in the Dark Room, but out of place in The Chest
  6. more transformations; spider, cricket items, spelunking item set, bombing item set, technology item set, prophetic/spiritual item set... there are so many possibilities

Rebirth brought some new content, but the big thing was that it brought the game up to a solid baseline standard with its robust engine - now's the time to really push that with new content. I know Rebirth already has a ton of content, but I feel like there's still so much more potential lurking in this game.

*fairy room, anyone?
B284D0EE0BAD1979F45B3918E2ACBCD9039BAE05

Ooccoo

Hopefully they axe many useless items too. When I enter a special room I always wish it's not garbage like dynamite or charged shot.

SerTapTap

*fairy room, anyone?

Oh wow, I saw that room once and didn't make the connection. What's the colored dots on your head btw?

Hopefully they axe many useless items too. When I enter a special room I always wish it's not garbage like dynamite or charged shot.

Not many items are completely useless, though a bunch are only good with rare synergy (like kamikaze). I doubt any items will ever be removed, just buffed/changed like Tammy's Head.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finally got a 10 win streak doing hard mode Eden runs. Feeling pretty accomplished.

I didn't know that there is a familiar/pet limit until last night.

I was abusing 1+1, Bum Friend, IV bag, and the Infestation item where every time you take damage a blue spider spawns.

I would IV down to 1/2 health, spawning blue spiders, and let the Bum pick up all the coins. He'd generate as many red hearts as I was using so I was just getting more, and more, and more spiders.

Eventually, my familiars all started to disappear.

As the spiders were used, the familiars started coming back.

Weird stuff. I guess it makes sense that you can only have so many at once but I was freaking out when my Sacrificial Dagger and Bum Friend just up and disappeared.

Incidentally, fun combo. Don't think I've ever had 99 coins, keys, and bombs at the same time, and I'm pretty sure I had every single trinket on the screen at the same time. :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Managed to unlock Missingno by beating the boss rush with Lazarus last night, looking forward to getting that sometime and seeing how it plays. Maybe I'll just run a seed to try it out. Also beat Mega Satan for the first time due to picking up the extra card space, getting a chaos card and jera, used jera to copy the chaos card and carried them both to Mega Satan. Didn't even plan it, I got the first half of the key when I accidentally bombed the angel and decided I may as well get the second. Pretty pleased. Still got a bunch of stuff to unlock but I'm enjoying slowly working my way through it all. I'm no expert so I doubt I'll be getting Real Platinum God but every little extra unlock I get is a nice treat. Beat The Lamb with Isaac last night too but then I realised all you get is the Missing Poster which is pretty much useless now, ha.

Tactics18

Just got Real Platinum God. took me like 2-months :p
I didn't get the Platinum though. They really need to fix the achievements on PS4.
First game I ever platinumed.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Brimstone + Spoonbender + Tammy's Head honestly makes me feel bad.

But then I decimate a Chest room with a single space bar click and I feel much better.
That first room D6 as Eden was a godsend.

Anyone else unable to launch Isaac since the patch? (PC)
Nah, works fine for me.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is anyone having issues with cross save?

I've uploaded my save from the PS4 but when I try and download it to the Vita an "unknown error has occurred" every time.

Any help?

EDIT: Both my PS4 and vita versions are on the latest patch.

Top Bottom