• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I always get it because it's fun to see how it synergies with things. It frequently ruins my run, but I still pick it up for the crazy.

If you can get piercing shots it's so good. Honestly, the knockback is the worst part about it.

In other news, I've finally reached a 20-run Eden streak! 100 wins here we come

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Nearly done! Just need to find 3 items (raw liver, missing no# and something else) and I'll 100% it. This last stretch has not been fun :(

I'm not sure I'll go for the dlc if it involves anything as arduous as the lost or the super meatboy challenges. It's really burnt me out.

SerTapTap

The New Mode is just The Lost only runs with all normal enemies replaced with The Adversary

Honestly though I read through hoping they would say something like "no requirements to play The Lost!"

A new mode that adds 100+ hours of content could mean practically anything, and I can envision a lot of situations where it would not be fun.

Example: blindfolded mode. Each character starts with blind-folded, with a familiar, and a whole new set of unlocks for each defeat. Add the Lost in and that would probably be a 100+ hour addition, but not a fun one.

The Lost really fouls up how I feel about any potential additions, I so wish that character did not exist.

BigAT

The new DLC, even after you have purchased it, should be locked behind a boss fight when you start the game.

The boss is The Lost. It is the first thing you fight when you load up the game. Much like the character, he dies in one hit and is awful. After you kill him, he drops all of the items that were previously tied to his unlocks, his achievements are removed or awarded, and he is deleted from the game forever. You have vanquished The Lost.

SerTapTap

The new DLC, even after you have purchased it, should be locked behind a boss fight when you start the game.

The boss is The Lost. It is the first thing you fight when you load up the game. Much like the character, he dies in one hit and is awful. After you kill him, he drops all of the items that were previously tied to his unlocks, his achievements are removed or awarded, and he is deleted from the game forever. You have vanquished The Lost.

Would buy just for this. And I already have his achievements

I just learned something I never knew.

Blue Heart Devil deals will happily take red hearts if you have them.

Saw someone on twitch get HP up after seeing Devil Deal, assumed it worked like red hearts (where it won't take Blue/Black Hearts) so tried to pick up a Devil item with 1 red and 2 blue hearts, and died.

Haunted

Being able to put custom heads into the game with 4 photographs instantly becomes the most requested feature.

The New Mode is just The Lost only runs with all normal enemies replaced with The Adversary

Honestly though I read through hoping they would say something like "no requirements to play The Lost!"
Knowing Ed, they'll absolutely double down on The Lost.

My real fear for Afterbirth would be Boss Rush 2.0, beat Isaac/Satan/Path#3 boss in 30 minutes, or something similar.

Boss Rush 1.0 was bad enough.

Salsa

it's ridiculous I dont own this yet considering the amount of hours I put into the original one

I missed the zeitgeist cause I was on a trip and i've been waiting for a sale ever since :X

Stoze

Wouldn't be surprised at all. I'm sure at a bare minimum it'll be required for character unlocks the same as anyone else.

I kinda would be a bit surprised, he pays attention to the subreddit and knows how much it's disliked there. At the same time he may be mistaking the complaints as having a character that's gratifyingly hard, when really it's just a poorly designed character/challenge and not fun to play.

The pokeball item looks fun, can't see it being too useful though.

SerTapTap

it's ridiculous I dont own this yet considering the amount of hours I put into the original one

I missed the zeitgeist cause I was on a trip and i've been waiting for a sale ever since :X

I'd just buy it, fun to be part of the zeitgeist but it's still a great game now and will still be a great game in 5 years assuming there isn't another (almost...RIP OST) universally superior remake. I think it was on sale 33% off once though, maybe it will be next major steam sale. I was kind of hoping it would show up in an Easter sale for laughs.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'd just buy it, fun to be part of the zeitgeist but it's still a great game now and will still be a great game in 5 years assuming there isn't another (almost...RIP OST) universally superior remake. I think it was on sale 33% off once though, maybe it will be next major steam sale. I was kind of hoping it would show up in an Easter sale for laughs.

There's a chance it could go on sale when the DLC hits, although I don't know when that's going to be.

RPGam3r

I just got this game based on coworkers talking it up. Sadly, I'm not sure if I should keep playing. I walked in blind and beat Mom on my first run, didn't seem very difficult (I don't consider myself overly skilled) and I'm hoping there is more to this other than randomness.

I don't want to spoil too much, but is there a secondary mission beyond Mom like you find in similar games (e.g. Spelunky)?

KarmaCow

I just got this game based on coworkers talking it up. Sadly, I'm not sure if I should keep playing. I walked in blind and beat Mom on my first run, didn't seem very difficult (I don't consider myself overly skilled) and I'm hoping there is more to this other than randomness.

I don't want to spoil too much, but is there a secondary mission beyond Mom like you find in similar games (e.g. Spelunky)?

There are many floors and bosses beyond Mom. I'd say beating Mom for the first time is like getting an your first vehicle in a JRPG, when shit gets real.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Cool, thank you. Another run it is =).

Yeah, after a few mom kills (try different characters so you get additional variety) you'll start unlocking a lot more stuff, it's definitely worth putting more time into it. As well as unlocking more items/bosses/floors etc you'll also end up increasing the difficulty of the game too.

I had an Eden run start with Kamikaze! and got Pyromaniac out of the first item room.

I envisioned I'd be all set.

Instead I discover that Kamikaze! is terrible even with Pyro. Smaller range than a normal bomb, and the damage per explosion is Dr. Fetus level (awful).

Did it used to be good and get caught up in the Dr. Fetus nerf or has it always been this awful?

I ended up just accumulating red hearts and using it as a heal, and using it to find secret rooms. Talk about a major disappointment.

I can't imagine why they felt the need to make Kamikaze! weak considering how practically impossible it is to use.

I had an Eden run start with Kamikaze! and got Pyromaniac out of the first item room.

I envisioned I'd be all set.

Instead I discover that Kamikaze! is terrible even with Pyro. Smaller range than a normal bomb, and the damage per explosion is Dr. Fetus level (awful).

Did it used to be good and get caught up in the Dr. Fetus nerf or has it always been this awful?

I ended up just accumulating red hearts and using it as a heal, and using it to find secret rooms. Talk about a major disappointment.

I can't imagine why they felt the need to make Kamikaze! weak considering how practically impossible it is to use.

Honestly is there any point to Kamikaze? Nothing makes me want to reset more than seeing that piece of shit in the first item room.

SerTapTap

Can't you basically run around inside enemies' sprites with Kamikaze because it heals you faster than you'll take damage if you have enough hearts? Still shitty though considering devil rooms and spirit/black/eternal hearts that you'll lose if you do that.

Honestly is there any point to Kamikaze? Nothing makes me want to reset more than seeing that piece of shit in the first item room.

It's one of a few items that's basically 95% bad but becomes OP with extremely specific item combos--Pyro in this case, which turns it into a free infinite heal (and also infinite close range bombs). There's some amusing combos like that but personally I'd love an option to remove some of those, along with Isaac's Heart, Guillotine, Bob's Brain, and honestly Dr. Fetus post-nerf.

BigAT

It's basically only good in the incredibly specific situation of having it as a combo with Pyromaniac on the Lost so that you can have permanent invincibility.

It's right there with Blood Rights and Razor Blade for useless items.

SerTapTap

I actually had the perfect setup for the Blood Rights once, but I found Isaac's Heart BEFORE the razor so naturally I didn't take it. Would have been awesome but oh well, not risking taking Isaac's Heart in any other situation.

Going to the Cathedral early via an Angel Room on Mom's Heart(I'm no pro) and beating Isaac is satisfying

Also, just had a Gnawed Leaf + Daddy Longlegs run, and that was fun to win

It's basically only good in the incredibly specific situation of having it as a combo with Pyromaniac on the Lost so that you can have permanent invincibility.

It's right there with Blood Rights and Razor Blade for useless items.

I don't think this is true on the latest patch.

I tried to abuse Kami/Pyro invincibility and I still took damage regularly. I certainly wouldn't want to test it as the Lost late in a good run.

BigAT

I don't think this is true on the latest patch.

I tried to abuse Kami/Pyro invincibility and I still took damage regularly. I certainly wouldn't want to test it as the Lost late in a good run.

Could be, I've never actually tested it myself since I never got the combo but I remember reading it on one of the wikis.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Huh, we're getting alt tracks to existing levels?

Pulso Profundum, the new track for Depths/Necropolis

He mentions in the blog post that some are for the new game mode they've developed. Wonder what they'll involve. That track seems pretty sinister, I like it although it's notably different from the rest of the score. Shame that it's such a small update this week, really looking forward to finding out more about Afterbirth.

Couple of secret links in the blog post. This image:

TDhbFU2.png

and this youtube video, for some reason. Looks like that item might be a spacebar item that doubles the items in a room? Like a reusable Jera? Or maybe it doubles your damage?

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Suicide king done finally. All challenges clear. Now I just need boss rush and the lamb on a few chars and I have most things unlocked. Well besides the lost.
fuck him though. Such a pain to use

Top Bottom