• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Home Office Is Dying (Bloomberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/the-home-office-is-dying

Zac Atkinson keeps a desk in the corner of the living room of his one-bedroom apartment in Studio City, Calif. Not that he uses it much: The work-from-home television writer migrates from couch to kitchen table and back again as he churns out scenes for animated children’s programs. “The folks from the generation before me tend to have more of an office,” says Atkinson, 32. “Most people I know end up sitting on the sofa, and half the time the TV is on when they’re working.”

Not long ago, someone telecommuting might have needed a desktop computer, a printer, a landline, and a fax machine (plus filing cabinets to store pay stubs, bank statements, and bills). Today more people than ever work from home, but laptops and Wi-Fi function just as well couchside—or, hey, by the pool—as deskside, and chances are you’re neither sending nor receiving a ton of faxes. This helps explain why “the bigger, more ornate home offices that we once did have kind of gone away,” says Tim Shigley, a home remodeler in Wichita. “People started saying, ‘Do I need a home office? I have other things I want to buy.’ ”

Now it’s all about nooks and nomadic charging

The home office has lost enough cachet that, as of the end of August, the share of listings on real estate site Zillow that make special mention of one decreased by 20 percent from the previous year across the U.S., according to data compiled for Bloomberg Businessweek. Those rooms might still exist, but the numbers at least signal that real estate agents see them as less of a selling point than they once did.

This shift leaves the homebuilding industry contending with diverging trends. Sixty percent of employers let workers telecommute, up threefold from 1996, according to 2016’s annual survey by the Society for Human Resource Management. But roaming the way Atkinson does has its appeal: If you’re expected to answer an e-mail at any hour, why not burn the midnight oil in bed, Netflix on pause?

So builders are compromising. Current home design tends toward open-floor plans, with an emphasis on flexible spaces and workspace nooks, says architect Paul Adamson, who operates out of the San Francisco Bay Area. Modern homes are also built with more wall outlets to allow for nomadic charging, and some even come with built-in USB ports, says Jeremy Wacksman, Zillow’s chief marketing officer.

Do you have a home office? Are you there much or do you prefer moving around your home?

I have a home office. Unless I'm a blogger, I would prefer to have a desk where I can spread everything out, have a work line and a printer.

Yes I can take my laptop anywhere and respond to emails when I need to, but I'm not going to spend the majority of my work day from home laying in bed.

Hoo-doo

Banned
One of the first things i'm looking for whenever I eventually buy a house is whether it'll have a room I could make my office.
I will always desire a room where I can retreat in peace and solitude to do some work.

It's also important to me that work stuff stays in that room and I don't take it with me through the home.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, that's great if you're writing or your job is sending a lot of emails

I have to both work with very large spreadsheets and do 3D modelling, neither of which is particularly comfortable on a 15 inch laptop screen with a trackpad

Sethista

I have a home officce and work 90% of the time at home. Would not trade having a quiet place where I can have conf calls and find myself in my own mess. Does this article take family into account, kids, etc?

Cant see the home office going anywhere really

Well when I work at home, it's producing music. My whole setup is on a desktop PC, so that's always restricted to my "Office" room.

But I can absolutely relate to this article. If my laptop wasn't so old and on the verge of death, I would absolutely do my administrative stuff (invoices, quickbooks, emails) on the couch with my dog. But since my desktop is so fast and buttery smooth, I just go ahead and do it all there while I'm still in the studio/office.

I DO always have youtube videos, streams, or podcasts on while I work though for the most part. The old people at my part time transitionary office job don't understand that at all, and at first my boss didn't like it. I hate working in total silence.

entremet

I have a home officce and work 90% of the time at home. Would not trade having a quiet place where I can have conf calls and find myself in my own mess. Does this article take family into account, kids, etc?

It's mostly based on home buying habits. Home offices are the big item people are looking for, by and large, anymore.

So builders are compromising. Current home design tends toward open-floor plans, with an emphasis on flexible spaces and workspace nooks, says architect Paul Adamson, who operates out of the San Francisco Bay Area. Modern homes are also built with more wall outlets to allow for nomadic charging, and some even come with built-in USB ports, says Jeremy Wacksman, Zillow’s chief marketing officer.

Also Millienials!

This style is especially appealing to younger buyers, who are already accustomed to living off Starbucks Wi-Fi. A 2016 survey by John Burns Real Estate Consulting shows that while half of prospective buyers still say a home office is important or very important, younger ones care less about a dedicated workspace. In Southern California, for example, only a quarter of buyers born in the 1990s want a formal home office, says Pete Reeb, a principal at John Burns

dabig2

I have a home office. I've got piles and piles of reference books (I'm still a hardcopy guy), notes, and other miscellaneous items laying about that I need access to usually through the day. And no way I'm taking that mess with me around the house. Plus I like my office chair and my work productivity will plummet if I'm in another setting. It's like how some people learn better and retain information more if they're in their proper classroom.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Quiet places are so underrated. It's why I despise the notion of "open Office design".

How the fuck am I supposed to think with half a dozen people yammering within earshot?

entremet

Quiet places are so underrated. It's why I despise the notion of "open Office design".

How the fuck am I supposed to think with half a dozen people yammering within earshot?

Headphones.

Open floor plans have been a thing for a bit in the corporate world.

SpecX

I kind of have an office. I share a space with the kids which works out great so far. They have their toys and tv, I have my desk and work space. Since I don't use it all the time, it works, but when I'm off or need it, they have other parts of the house they can go to play. It's better overall for me not to waste an entire space only to myself for the times I do need to work at home.

Dougald

I have worked from home for the last 4 years, if I didn't have a home office setup, I'd have absolutely no work/life balance. I'd end up screwing around playing video games during the day, and checking my e-mail at night.

When I sit down at my desk in that room, I'm working. When I'm not working, that door is shut. It works for me.

JeTmAn81

I write web applications from home full time but don't work in a specific office space. I sit on couches either upstairs or downstairs and the tv is on most of the time.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I used to work from home several times a week.

I just worked on the same desk that I play PC games on. It felt a bit weird to always be a few switches away from "work mode" and "home mode", but I never felt the need to set up a home office.

If I permanently telecommuted though, I might set up a separate computer on a different desk just because I want to separate work life from home life a little. Maybe a separate room, if I could spare the space.

I probably wouldn't roam the way the guy in the article does, though. I prefer working on a full sized monitor and an actual mouse, and wouldn't want to confine myself to laptop controls.

garath

I can do certain things from the couch on my laptop or phone and will if it's that type of need. But if I'm working from home I need a comfortable, dedicated space without distractions with enough table space to use my laptop and wireless mouse without being scrunched up.

It's very difficult to do real work with the kids roaming around me, or the TV on, or any of the other home distractions.

As far as a physical room needs, I still have a desktop computer with dual monitors, a printer, router, cable modem, file cabinet. This stuff isn't going away in the next decade at least. Home office is still a thing for me even if it's just a repurposed corner of my living room.

Breads

Banned
I do both I guess. My office does a lot of the heavy lifting but if I wanted the freedom I did invest in a mobile setup that I can pretty much take anywhere I want to. It's what allows me to work while travelling months out of the year.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Headphones.

Yes I listen to a lot of instrumental music, but even still its annoying that I need to listen to anything at all so I can actually get work done.

jackal27

Banned
We pretend it's a choice or preference

Really, it because we can no longer afford a spare bedroom.

I think that it's probably this.

My wife didn't have an office for her business for years until this year when we were finally able to buy a house. (houses are cheap in my area)

I don't have a "home office" so much as I have my computer that I use to telework. It's the same computer I use for everything else though, and it's in the main entertainment area of my house, so I'd hardly call it an office in any sense of the word.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Headphones.

It's not the same. I have some of the best noise-cancelling over ear headphones available and yet I desire an actual physical box around me that's occupied just by me.

But I realize that not everyone is like me. I love being on my own working on stuff and i'm the most productive that way.

Zoe

The house we're currently building had to have a study, no compromises. We fitted it with extra sound-proofing insulation and drops for two different networks.

Yes, with a laptop we can work from anywhere in the house, but sometimes you need the isolation, and there should always be the chance for a clear separation of work and home.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's not the same. I have some of the best noise-cancelling over ear headphones available and yet I desire an actual physical box around me that's occupied just by me.

But I realize that not everyone is like me. I love being on my own working on stuff and i'm the most productive that way.

No I'm the same way, my company had us working out of various "co-working spaces" for a while and good lord, I never ever ever want anything to do with that ever again. At least not five days a week. We moved to almost 100% home work a few months ago and now we're maybe considering getting a space for a couple days a week

Hoo-doo

Banned
The house we're currently building had to have a study, no compromises. We fitted it with extra sound-proofing insulation and drops for two different networks.

Yes, with a laptop we can work from anywhere in the house, but sometimes you need the isolation, and there should always be the chance for a clear separation of work and home.

Damn son. I like the cut of your jib.

Vhalyar

I like having an "office" mostly because of painting, art supplies, and the use of toxic products that I wouldn't tolerate venting about my place.

Everything else I do from my cozy couch.

Now it’s all about nooks and nomadic charging

That's a great name for the sheepish journey everyone on the university seems to make looking for a power outlet.

Like a hoard of wanderers looking for electricity.

For real. Some of co-workers tease me about slacking off cause I always have headphones on but my cubicle neighbor smokes and has the nastiest smoker's cough that it's the only way I can drown her out. She's a nice enough lady but her breathing noises and cough can drive me insane and I've had people complain about it when I'm on a conference call lol.

I have a home office and I can relate to this. I finished my basement a few years back, and about 3/4s of it is a living/family room, while the other 1/4 is an area I have a desk, desktop computer, and all of my work stuff + music stuff.

When I work from home or do freelance, I work in the home office... but I'm over it. I have a powerful desktop down there but considering switching to a powerful laptop so I can move around the house with it and get a chance of scenery. I especially feel bad when I have to do work and my wife is home, we have dinner, then I go downstairs and she watches TV or whatever upstairs, and I'd rather just work at the table upstairs w/ headphones on.

Future

I do have an work desk (without a full room office), but I made the switch to laptop only sometime ago for that work nook flexibility. I have a desk dock that I use when I really need to hunker down, but usually I'm not at it and I'm in other locations like dude in OP

Symphonia

Banned
I have a home office. Large corner desk with room for my dual monitors, laptop, printer, PS4, and Wii U. There's also room for my graphics tablet should my work require it.

mackattk

If I really need to sit down and churn out some work, I am simply not going to be that productive on a couch in front of a TV.

mm04

I have a home office. I have two 27" monitors and once you start working with multiple monitors, it's difficult to go back to one or a laptop for the majority of your work. That doesn't mean that I don't grab the laptop and work from other rooms of my house when I want. I just spend the majority of my working hours in the room designated for it.

I don't have a dedicated home office/library, but I wish I did. I'm set up in our master bed, with a huge desk and dual monitors. It would be awesome to have triple monitors and a HDTV directly within line of sight, but what I have now is about the limit.

I have a laptop that I can use when mobile, but I much rather be at my huge desk with the bigger screens. I've turned down promotions to keep working from home.

Minus_Me

After my sister moved out of my condo, I decided to turn the extra bedroom into a studio for my gf. My office is close enough to my house that if I need to do something off hour I can go there and get stuff done regardless of the time.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Sixty percent of employers let workers telecommute? That stat seems incredible to me.
I'm pretty sure that's a bit of a misnomer. It probably means that most employers are willing to let SOME employees telecommute SOME of the time, usually as an accommodation for special circumstances, which sounds about right.

I doubt it means 60% of employers let ALL of their employees telecommute all the time.

I use our additional room as a home office but our future house will have a dedicated office. Very hard to share a room while recording audio and producing video content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom