• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash_

A part of me wants the PC community, should this game feature text which can be edited, to mod the hell out of it.

But then it'd have to be bought.

Faynwulf

I'm from Brazil and I don't buy this "neutral discourse" bullshit. You are going to give money to a GGer, and that's your position in this situation. Don't try to be the better person

I've bought Huniepop. And that developer that some way weirder stuff than Tim Soret.

I'm definitely not trying to be the better person here. I've played games from people I absolutely don't agree with before. I still enjoyed them. The same will most likely apply to The Last Night.

Look what I'm saying is that I couldn't give less of a crap.

Montresor

Not sure who or what you're referring to but most likely what you view as a pedestal, some of us view it as being able to not be oppressed. "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression" probably applies to you.

See this post in particular helps me understand the issue more. I have to do something work-related the rest of the night but I promise I'll read the entire idlethumbs.net thread when I have a chance, so I can properly understand exactly why the game creator has garnered this kind of backlash.

But I am not putting on any act. I'm just ignorant about the issue.

Didn't expect an MLK summoning in here lol

If the writing in this game ends up being good I'll be legitimately shocked. Most GG/MRA types have proven to be less than articulate. It's like when right-wingers try to write comedy.

xaosslug

The last tweet 'liked' by the game's writer gives a clue as to what sort of dude he is.

oyYffgh.png

i guess now we know why he abandoned the thread.

WonderzL

Banned
I've bought Huniepop. And that developer that some way weirder stuff than Tim Soret.

I'm definitely not trying to be the better person here. I've played games from people I absolutely don't agree with before. I still enjoyed them. The same will most likely apply to The Last Night.

it's fine. don't give a crap, give money to a supporter of a hate group that harassed dozens of women in the industry you seem to love

Darkroronoa

Oh, I agree, but when a dev hashtags "gamergate" on a whole swath of posts, I am skeptical over their ability to deliver a nuanced and thought-provoking narrative.

Yeah that hashtrag is indeed problematic.

That's the current life of thousands of trans folk.

Well yeah. We are talking about the extremes of a dystopian future. Right now you can identify yourself with what you feel like, its not a perfect world but i think we are on the right direction.
What if in the future its like illegal and you must be 1 gender so everyone woudl be equal? Thats all speculation about what could be in the game ofc. I feel the developer might want to tell a story like that from what i read, thats what i would find interesting. Ofc i might be way off lol.

What does that even mean

I know it sounds a bit stupid. But we are talking about a dystopian future :p

PBalfredo

wow

good for you

gold star

We're living in a universe where a game developer makes his game based on "extreme feminism" that ruined the world and advocates egalitarianism instead, when both are practically the same while feminism acknowledges that women are actually the ones who have been at a disadvantage the whole time. He uses egalitarianism as bullshit both sides stance on these problems, when one side is the one that actually needs to be focused on. Or even entertains the notion that siding with the side that has more problems will result in the other side having their rights taken away.

In this same universe some (probably male) gaffers are asking people how they can be outraged by someone not acknowledging the plights of sexism, transphobia etc.

It wouldn't be E3 without stuff like this, would it?

3hVjgL1.gif

DNAbro

Regardless of what the Huniepop devs believe in, I don't think the point of Huniepop is that "feminism is bad." The supposed premise of this game sounds so incredibly unappealing I have no interest in the game any longer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"a cyberpunk world where modern feminism won"

The genre is truly dead.

True Fire

I believe in equality, but when it turns into another form of segregation, I become afraid of the direction it might lead. I always think of the words of Martin Luther King Jr., and how he spoke of one day wishing to see boys and girls, from all races being able to sit side by side with no discrimination. This is the future I'd want to see, don't take away privileges from one person to elevate someone else.

Ummmm this is like Equality vs Equity 101. Helping disadvantaged people doesn't discriminate against anyone.

If MLK was alive today the same people preaching egalitarianism would view him as putting black people on a pedestal or whatever other nonsense is going on here

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that only men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red pills of Georgia, the sons of former women and the sons of former feminists will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of radical feminism, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and egalitarianism.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the gender they are but by the gender someone else says they are.

I have a dream today!

I know this is a hot take on GAF but I think this game looks slick regardless of whatever this guy says so even though I obviously don't agree with him I still will follow this game and see if it is any good

Yeah that hashtrag is indeed problematic.

Well yeah. We are talking about the extremes of a dystopian future. Right now you can identify yourself with what you feel like, its not a perfect world but i think we are on the right direction.
What if in the future its like illegal and you must be 1 gender so everyone woudl be equal? Thats all speculation about what could be in the game ofc. I feel the developer might want to tell a story like that from what i read, thats what i would find interesting. Ofc i might be way off lol.

Huh? You technically can identify as the gender of your choosing, but there are consequences. Trans people get killed for doing so.

Faynwulf

it's fine. don't give a crap, give money to a supporter of a hate group that harassed dozens of women in the industry you seem to love

You make it sound so cyberpunk.

The entire game's plot is based around his shitty worldview you can't separate it. This is like Polanski making a movie about child rape.

Goddamn that comparison. A guy making a game about his shitty worldview doesn't equate to someone making a film about child rape. I hope you know that. Not everything needs to be so extreme.

well this is disappointing, was looking forward to this for years but if those tweets are what the game is about then I can't support that shit.

Faynwulf

Regardless of what the Huniepop devs believe in, I don't think the point of Huniepop is that "feminism is bad." The supposed premise of this game sounds so incredibly unappealing I have no interest in the game any longer.

I've been told that guy is a hardcore gamergater too. That's why I listed him. I could be wrong though.

Wadiwasi

Banned
You would think with the negative reactions because of previous stances, political or otherwise, that the dev team would try to be polite and try to distance themselves from this stuff. Specifically to try and make sure the goodwill of people loving the aesthetic of the game led to more sales which would only help their company and employees.

However, they keep digging their heels in deeper and showing their true colors on the internet which will be saved forever. MS should drop the game from their service.

I get that people have differing opinions, and not all of them are nice or accepted. I can only be responsible for my own and to a lesser extent my family. But when you are trying to sell something, this is what happens. This game will lose tons of sales because of their public behavior and societal views. I'm sure MS will also catch some flak because it was shown off at their conference, justified or not.

KmpDjSb.png

Beyond any of his stupid personal politics, this makes the game sound dumb as fuck.

---

yikes

I'd been looking forward to this game for awhile (goddamn, that art), so this was my expression at the revelations in this thread:

c019c09edeea43c2dab260d10ca8e1db.gif

Well the couple minutes I had interest in this game were fun.

Ha, yep, what the hell. Yuck.

I had a good cackle (well, depressed cackle) at Aeana's tweet:

The Last Night is literally about a "dystopian future" where gamergate lost.

It could make for a good advertising tag line!

I know nothing about Huniepop but Ender's Game is one of my favorite books. Its writer, Orson Scott Card is a huge homophobe. The book is about a young boy being recruited to fend off an alien invasion. If Ender's Game was actually about a future where all the homosexuals in the universe are killing straight people and the moral/theme of the novel was "gay people are bad" I'd have a much different opinion of the book.

Slayven

Didn't expect an MLK summoning in here lol

If the writing in this game ends up being good I'll be legitimately shocked. Most GG/MRA types have proven to be less than articulate. It's like when right-wingers try to write comedy.
Sickening how it is spit up on command.

Dash_

I wonder if the lack of a PS4 release is because Sony actually did the job Microsoft should have done and said no thanks.

Or maybe he and his writer played Horizon and took offense to its themes. : P

Sianos

Don't worry, it's definitely not a one hour thing. It's not going to be 10+ hours, but it will be all killer no filler. :)

(I'm the writer/producer) More info soon.

Actually, I can just ask you directly instead of speculating!

Is the thematic significance of your bisexual main character to express the theme that feminism is erasing genders?

If I'm misinterpreting things and Soret has changed his views in the past few years you're more than welcome to defend your project! People and their views can change, after all.

We're living in a universe where a game developer makes his game based on "extreme feminism" that ruined the world and advocates egalitarianism instead, when both are practically the same while feminism acknowledges that women are actually the ones who have been at a disadvantage the whole time. He uses egalitarianism as bullshit both sides stance on these problems, when one side is the one that actually needs to be focused on. Or even entertains the notion that siding with the side that has more problems will result in the other side having their rights taken away.

In this same universe some (probably male) gaffers are asking people how they can be outraged by someone not acknowledging the plights of sexism, transphobia etc.

It wouldn't be E3 without stuff like this, would it?

3hVjgL1.gif

Yup, the alt-right strat of tainting neutral or positive messagdes (egalitaranism) to make a firebreak between liberal causes and the less informed so its hard for social change to bring them to see the liberal side of things being right from a more centrist perspective. This is raaaaaaaaaaaaather important to note right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom