• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
terrible attitude imo. obviously the city is going to have social and political strife just like novigrad did with different races/magic

You hope they don't put politics in Cyberpunk 2077? In a fucking cyberpunk game? Isn't the Cyberpunk RPG it's based on one of the most explicitly political tabletop games there is?

correction, I hope they don't put shitty politics in there. Which in a bigger group putting this much effort into it, seems unlikely.

Alucrid

Banned
Can someone please tell what gamergate is so I can decide whether to like this game or not?

I mean c'mon guys what the fuck? Does it really matter if the creator is a gamergater or not? If the game is good, buy it. Jesus.

the first part sounds like you want actual help

the second part sounds like you don't actually care

KmpDjSb.png

Beyond any of his stupid personal politics, this makes the game sound dumb as fuck.

Looks like it's even worse than that.

I was the one who first posted in the GB thread about it when i saw stuff on Twitter but it was just rumblings; this just keeps escalating beyond what I expected.

The creator is telling you what the game is about

KmpDjSb.png

How do we separate?

Our main character in The Last Night is bisexual.

I sure hope the author isn't angling for the direction with this characterization that I think he's angling for.
kunk-rum.gif

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCFH_VmVYAANdlN.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCFH_VQU0AA3vPL.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCFMMkmUwAAFhrC.jpg[/IMG]

yikes
Yeah, any interest is gone. No way I can support something like this. =/

No matter how good this game looks, there aren't enough hours in the day or dollars in my bank account to play all of the stuff I'm interested in regardless. Passing on stuff like this is easier than ever because of the deluge of choice we have these days. There are more games, more movies, more TV shows, more comics, etc, available than ever and it's impossible to consume them all to begin with. That being the case, passing on something like this just gives me more time for that other stuff and avoids putting money into the wallet of and supporting and growing the influence of a sexist piece of garbage like this. It doesn't hurt me at all--I still have tons of stuff to mess around with, with more choices than I know what to do regardless--but hurts people like this and shows that I don't stand for it, and won't let them expand or grow their influence if I can at all help it. Easy and painless.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Hopefully the "extreme feminism" stuff is merely dreamlike background window-dressing, like the made-up language in Ico, and the boy's tribal clothing. Like if in Ico, the boy was actually yelling "Cuck! Cuck! Cuck!" and the myserious writing was "MAKE RUINS GREAT AGAIN" and the boy's tunic had mysterious scripture that read, "sticks don't kill shadows, I kill shadows."

Yeah... I could still play Ico.

True Fire

This game could've been interesting if it was a self-aware exploration of conservative fears. But it's never any fun when it takes itself too seriously.

Alucrid

Banned
Hopefully the "extreme feminism" stuff is merely dreamlike background window-dressing, like the made-up language in Ico, and the boy's tribal clothing. Like if in Ico, the boy was actually yelling "Cuck! Cuck! Cuck!" and the myserious writing was "MAKE RUINS GREAT AGAIN" and the boy's tunic had mysterious scripture that read, "sticks don't kill shadows, I kill shadows."

Yeah... I could still play Ico.

what if the game forced you to hold hands with donald trump the entire game?

Cindro

Maybe it will get a physical release so we can all buy it used/beat it on a rental (even though the story/premise itself will still likely be ruined by the insanely dumb premise)?

KmpDjSb.png

Beyond any of his stupid personal politics, this makes the game sound dumb as fuck.
Fuck. Great.

I can usually not think about a creator's shit views when trying to enjoy their work (ie Mel Gibson and his films), but this sounds like it goes even deeper than that, directly influencing the story and world itself.

Fuck.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
CDPR is working closely with the creator of the original game if I recall correctly. And are taking extra steps to hire people for proper research on the urban city setting.

I hope they don't put politics in there.

what is cyberpunk without politics?

in an rpg noless

Foffy

Banned
Wait a minute. So because everyone is being taken care of, we're living in a dystopian future?

Either he's entertaining the risk of a future where UBI is used to just entertain the masses with baseline needs, or he's one of those "dignity to work" jokers.

Very hard to tell, given his previous remarks. It wouldn't shock me if he was a Libertarian, at this rate.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Like I get that some people can more comfortably separate art from the artist and even that is a spectrum of context and content that isn't binary and it's really dependent on what we're talking about and who is on the receiving end yadda yadda.

But when I love cyberpunk things and you're making a cyberpunk thing and your thematic pitch is "a cyberpunk world where modern feminism won" I can feel my eyes rolling so far back into my head that I can see my frontal lobe implants short-circuiting.

It's insanely gorgeous and moody but that's one hell of a horseshit garbage pitch for a cyberpunk thing. Old statement and all, another writer, stuff changes. But man that's some hilariously terrible material to be influenced by.

Can someone please tell what gamergate is so I can decide whether to like this game or not?

I mean c'mon guys what the fuck? Does it really matter if the creator is a gamergater or not? If the game is good, buy it. Jesus.

You don't even know what GG is and somehow have already decided that it's not a big deal lol

Moppeh

Banned
I can handle experiencing art made by an asshole in cases where their assholeness hasn't seeped into their game/movie/whatever. But if your game is made with this horrid shit on full display, then there is no way I can enjoy it whatsoever.

I came in here for more info after seeing the MS trailer and uh...what?? I was expecting to learn more about a beautiful pixel art cyberpunk game and instead found GamersGate 2099. This dude has some serious issues. It's a shame that he would waste his talents on promoting such hate.

Moreover, how the hell did this pass muster with MS execs, to the point where it became a featured game at their keynote?? I am floored.

Well this turned ugly, was actually hyped during the conference by the trailer

But after seeing the tweets and etc, welp, I'll pass

One year later too, scary, milkshake duck is real

Faynwulf

My dude, that was me! My entire point was that Ender's Game didn't focus on the homophobia of the writer so I still ended up liking the book. We know The Last Night ends up being about anti-feminism because the creator of the game told us so.

And I'm saying that I'm not really convinced that this ends up bring true. I don't believe Microsoft would've featured it in their E3 conference if it was.

yikes, forget to put a shitty in front and even I get bombarded lol. Blame my aim to post it quick and not proof read. I know cyberpunk is politics, I meant I hope CDPR didn't ruin what could be a fantastic game with somebody's personal shitty politics clouding the whole writing. In this case, I started it by saying they're taking every right step with the game so far (working with original creator, hiring people for key roles), but that after this title there is always the fear somebody uses it as a platform for an ignorant view.

Game looks awesome, and the premise could be interesting. I don't have a problem playing something where the creator's viewpoints are different from my own.

But it's the whole "#gamergate" stuff from the developer that's really turning me away from it. There is just no defense for anything regarding that movement.

It's gone from "day one" to "I'll wait and see if it ends up being a shitshow or not". Would certainly be a shame too, because it was one of the strongest showings at MS's conference.

jayu26

Umm...what the fuck? Like, WHAT THE FUCK? And I though (I guess, still think?) that it looked cool. This game can be as amazing as possible but I cannot be party to this.

Regarding the general topic of engaging with the creative works of people who's ideas you find shitty, there's a really great Tumblr exchange between comic writer Gail Simone and John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats I wanna quote:

Anonymous asked: but what's wrong with being willing to separate an author from their work? why is that so hard? especially ender's game, which, aside from one or two lines from some stupid boys in the book, holds next to none of card's horrible views. you shouldn't bar good literature just b/c the author is a terrible person.

Gail Simone said:
Do what you want.

I will choose to do the same. OSC is not just a raging homophobe, he actively worked to enact legislation to oppress rights for lgbtq people. He said he would try to bring down the government if they disagreed.

Seriously, screw that guy. There are a thousand books I haven't yet read that don't have that guy attached.

John Darnielle said:
this is exactly my position on this kinda thing by the way. I don't need to separate an author from his work if the author's a truly terrible human being. nobody's perfect - I don't ask anybody to be perfect; I just ask them not to be, you know, nazis, or virulent homophobes. But if they are, then I don't care how good their work is purported to be. I don't have to listen to Burzum; there's no shortage of amazing black metal that isn't written by racist murderers. the amount of tremendous black metal that meets the ”not the work of an appalling horrible person" yardstick is sufficient to excuse me from having to listen to the stuff made by assholes. so when people go into the ”I separate the art from the artist" thing, I'm like - why? if we live several lifetimes, we should all be so lucky, we won't read all the great books or hear all the great music. we can allow artists to be human and make mistakes, even big huge everybody-has-their-personal-lows mistakes, while still saying ”artists who are just worthless garbage as people, who actively and unapologetically campaign to make others' lives worse, don't deserve to have their work read." we will not actually miss much; we can put our attention elsewhere. there's just no shortage of amazing books to read, incredible music to hear. unless one wants to claim ”no no, these terrible-people artists are actually the best artists," in which case I think one might want to more closely examine one's aesthetics.

Squire

Banned
Can't wait for the OT to go up and not be able to talk about the game at all...

Game looks INCREDIBLE. I understand that some may disagree with his politics. I get it, but damn does this look phenomenal. Probably the best looking game ever.

LOL, you're not even correct, but let's pretend you are:

Who's fault is that? You familiar with the concept of accountability?

Like I get that some people can more comfortably separate art from the artist and even that is a spectrum of context and content that isn't binary and it's really dependent on what we're talking about and who is on the receiving end yadda yadda.

But when I love cyberpunk things and you're making a cyberpunk thing and your thematic pitch is "a cyberpunk world where modern feminism won" I can feel my eyes rolling so far back into my head that I can see my frontal lobe implants short-circuiting.

It's insanely gorgeous and moody but that's one hell of a horseshit garbage pitch for a cyberpunk thing. Old statement and all, another writer, stuff changes. But man that's some hilariously terrible material to be influenced by.
Tell me about it. Like the general idea mentioned on the Steam page could work. A "utopia" really being fucked up has been done before

But building that from a foundation of this shitty mindset and ideology? And indie games are way more reflective of and molded by their creators than AA or AAA games

Gah, I hate this. Been following this game for four years now. Fuck.

That's an entirely possible scenario of increased automation - mass unemployment.

It sounds like if your not struggling and suffering your living a horrible existence. It's like the guy believes the downside to equal rights is that the minorities will have nothing to fight for and stop creating, which is a BS statement.

MarkusRJR

WTF? I was excited to play this game but the story sounds dumb and this guy seems awful. Won't be picking this up now. There's tons of good indie games coming out that aren't made by some gamergate sounding dude.

Hey I do have a question though.

Aren't all of the tweets about the story, plot points, the creator's views etc. all from the same time period in September/October 2014?

I realize there have been more recent tweets reconfirming his beliefs, but nothing reconfirming the game's story and themes.

A lot can change in 3 years, especially as a team is assembled, marketing/publishing is discussed, etc.

I just see a lot of people taking these old tweets as gospel (probably because the year isn't included) when there's nothing yet to indicate that the game's content has taken that shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom