• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
We're going for a more realistic perspective. No platforming. A realistic city. We take inspiration from Flashback etc but it's really not like those games in actual gameplay. Emphasis on story, diegetic puzzle solving, thinking about cool ways to utilise your environment etc.

Much more detail and a breakdown of the trailer soon.
thanks for clarifying. I think I might have just jumped to conclusion because of the old look. Now that I read up a bit on the details, let me tell you that I'm very much excited for your game

Yes, Tim Soret is a gamergater.

And, no, outing him as a gg scumbag isn't a thread derail as it will be important information for people who may be otherwise interested in the game.

I, for one, think the game looks interesting but knowing Tim is a cunt means I cannot buy it with a clear conscience.

So I won't be buying it.
thanks for the info

Kin5290

Well damn it. The art direction looks damn good but there's no way I'm paying full price to a Gater.

Fortunately I don't have an Xbox and my laptop is pretty shit so my options are nicely limited there.

Famassu

yes this was a true mario 64 moment for me.

a hybrid for 2d gaming that kickstarted it into 2017
i really don't give two F's about the political views of the creators.
I WANT this game now
Good for you. The people whose lives are threatened or otherwise made worse because of the activism of GGers are unfortunately not so lucky.

Killyoh

I actually had an argument two or three years ago with Soret on Twitter (we blocked each other since, eh, it's probably for the best). Very talented man but damn did he came out as a douche.

The game made great progress though, it's very impressive.

megalowho

Kept this one in the back of my head after the original reveal a few years back but super impressed at how far it's come visually. So captivating and stylish. Steam page notes sound compelling as well for the genre. Team should take all the time they need, promising stuff.

marq_roq

Neo Member
It looks even better than those first screenshots

tln_screen.jpg

I'm so glad they showed his again. I had been racking my brain for months trying to remember the name of this game and doing multiple google searches. Looks stunning.

ghostjoke

Banned
Totally hear you. All I can say is we don't actually have any 'platforming'. It's a realistic move-set. You have full control over the character. It's about exploring the city and its stories, with cinematic storytelling (i.e. no obvious HUD, no endless dialogue etc etc).

So, totally valid concern, but you'll see as we show more, we hate that kind of thing too. Like, imagine the atmosphere of Flashback without the frustrating jumping around haha.

Sounds like what I'd hope for to compliment the aesthetic. Some genre names and descriptors have become corrupted in recent times as we strayed from the light of Flashback. Anyway, I'm out of here and all future threads before the brewing shitstorm fully envelopes everything.

orioto

Good Art™
That's not exactly an upgrade lol, that's a complete and violent change to the entire tech and style of the game.

The new style is really impressive and unique.

TLN_Crowd_01.png

Art style is just perfect.

This is absurdly pretty, hope the gameplay itself will be properly skill-based in some capacity but I feel like I'd play it just for the visuals alone. Hoping for not-too-harsh PC requirements, only have a PS4.

Not sure I follow however what a "cinematic platformer" plays like with no platforming?

gelf

Looks amazing but thanks to this thread I've learnt I wont be playing it. I won't knowingly give money to supporters of that shit.

Oh yeah I remember wanting to pick this game up whenever it came out when I saw it a long time ago. Looks really good.

But I was disappointed when I tuned into the stream. First glimpse I thought it was a full 3D game. Why can't we get more good 3D action adventure/RPG games with this kind of setting god dang it.

Spman2099

I am 100% down.

I now own an Xbox One for five games... Keep 'em coming, baby.

*edit*

Made by a gamergater...? *sigh* Back to four games, I guess.

Maoyama

Banned
Looks amazing but thanks to this thread I've learnt I wont be playing it. I won't knowingly give money to supporters of that shit.

Me too... I really appreciate everyone that looks into this kinda behaviour and brings it up constantly. I don't have the dedication to keep track of it all, but seeing it so clearly laid out makes the decision of not giving this guy any money really easy.

First time in a little while I've been stunned by a games visual style. Hopefully the gameplay matches up.

Edit: Fucking Gamergaters. Won't be playing this then!

I want to say that this looks a lot swankier than whenever I last saw it/whatever the origins of it were. Don't know if it was just a gif or something. But good heavens this has got a look. Hope there'll be a game to go with it.
Oh ok. Never mind then.
I mean, I still think what I thought, only now the game is dead to me.

I went into this thread because I'd just been bummering about Crackdown 3 and wanted to express some positivity. lol.

Mexen

And, no, outing him as a gg scumbag isn't a thread derail as it will be important information for people who may be otherwise interested in the game.

I, for one, think the game looks interesting but knowing Tim is a cunt means I cannot buy it with a clear conscience.

So I won't be buying it.

I don't know how to react to this

So I won't be buying it.

brutal. no buy

Me too... I really appreciate everyone that looks into this kinda behaviour and brings it up constantly. I don't have the dedication to keep track of it all, but seeing it so clearly laid out makes the decision of not giving this guy any money really easy.

Same. I didn't know about this, but I'm glad I do now so I can avoid it.

Can we seperate the art from the Artist :( i wanna play this but

One of these days I'm going to do a thread on what that phrase means because too many people use it as an excuse to financially support terrible people or hate groups and attempt to shield themselves from any criticism.

madquills

Neo Member
Goddamn this looks good.

I really hope the atmosphere and story match the awesomeness in the trailer.

It's absolutely a story game. The visuals immerse you in the world in order to let you experience a story.

As to the other comment about skill-based gameplay - this isn't going to be a fiddly, die-and-retry game. The skill will be in thinking how to use what you know about the game-world and its characters to your advantage. So it won't ever be frustrating, there are no 'super hard boss fights' etc.

A post from Tim Soret himself 3 years ago

Hello everybody.

First, thanks for posting my game.

I registered to clarify my position, which is very clear and moderate by the way:

• I am for a better representation of women in video games. I want more female characters, written to be interesting & less cliché, and I also want more female developers in the industry. We are 6 in our team. These talents came to us since more than a year. Among them and the hundred of emails from people that want to work on our game, no women at all. I have no idea why, so yes I want it to change. As many gamers, I absolutely adored playing Ellie in The Last of Us, or Clementine in Walking Dead, or Ripley in Alien Isolation, and The Boss is my favorite character in all the Metal Gear Solid saga. It proves that video games are not as terrible as I've been reading lately. However, I deeply agree that we need more characters like that, and I think gamers, contrary to what is told in medias these days, are really happy to play with such fascinating characters. I don't know anyone that was angry to play Ellie just because she was a girl. And just like critics, I'm bored as hell to see the sexy elf armor syndrome, to see Kerrigan being sexualized in Starcraft, and this kind of terrible art direction. I make games partly because I want to create something different & avoid clichés. Our main character in The Last Night is bisexual. And our other long term project, Behind Nowhere, features a 15 years-old strong, independent girl that grew up by herself. I think I'm definitely taking a step in the right direction to offer more diversity to gamers.

• However, I think Sarkeesian is cherry picking and painting the whole video game culture as something very negative, which, as a gamer since I'm 4 (hello Ecco the Dolphin & Flashback), I can't accept. Video games have been incredibly diverse to me, playing all kind of animals & characters in all kind of countries & imaginary worlds. I've killed 10 times more aliens, nazis, soldiers, and innocent male characters than women in video games. So when I see Sarkeesian saying video game culture is tainted with violence against women, I say no. Video game culture is tainted with violence toward everyone. And, just like gamers used to deflect conservative when they told violence in video games makes you violent in real life, sexism in video games do not make you sexist in real life. This is a gross assumption, and this is why I disagree with her conclusions while I totally agree on some parts of her work. Oh, and also, when I read that "Ico is sexist", I just can't accept any more stuff from her. I think she's toxic & she's spreading conflict instead of encouraging change. That is my opinion, and you have the right to disagree and like her work.

• I also don't buy the patriarchy stuff. Maybe it applies in the USA, but I live in Paris, and here in France, virility is not encouraged at all, sensitive men and intelligence are a lot more appreciated than "being a tough guy" and muscles. Most masculine behaviors are totally prohibited and are considered very macho here.

• When I saw the 14 articles the exact same day on several websites to say "Gamers are over" or "Gamers are dead", I couldn't accept it. I can't accept to see medias & journalists on Twitter paint "gamers" as misogynistic, white trash, neckbeard, while we are a very diverse culture, with gamers from all countries of the world, all sex, all age. I really can't see how medias can make such generalisation from the terrible actions of a few irrational people.

• I am, of course, against any form of harassment. I've been harassed quite a lot lately myself.

• Personally, I'm interested in the actual work of artists, not their personal opinions.

Otherwise, I would miss so many classic movies, books, and music, just because I disagree with the artist.

If you like our game (which is very progressive), you shouldn't change your mind because I have different opinions than yours.

I hope you understand my position better now, and you can see I'm not the terrible human being you might have thought.

I go back to work now! See you soon for those who are still interested.

Oh and thank you Danielle you were awesome in the podcast, and syntheticgerbil, it was incredible for my brother & I to see this video!

By the way, I hope that you all saw the first official screenshot here.

Killyoh

He also made an anti-SJW thread on a forum called Gamerama. He deleted all his posts very recently though:
It's in french though.

A post from Tim Soret himself 3 years ago
Oh boy this :
• I also don't buy the patriarchy stuff. Maybe it applies in the USA, but I live in Paris, and here in France, virility is not encouraged at all, sensitive men and intelligence are a lot more appreciated than "being a tough guy" and muscles. Most masculine behaviors are totally prohibited and are considered very macho here.
I guess him and I are not living in the same Paris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom