• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlamite

My shuttle arrived today.

Twenty-four fucking bags and FOUR instruction manuals. My girlfriend is horrified. I want to get tantive IV now. Waiting for it to drop a little more before its discontinued.
I got a few Hero Factory models to scratch the itch while my finances recover enough for me to pick up that WV camper van, but yeah the smaller sets obviously aren't as satisfying to build. The more instruction manuals the better! 2000, 3000, 4000 piece sets? Fuck yeah, bring it!

It's msrp. :( It was 134 two weeks ago. Strong rumor is that it's being discontinued soon. It's not even available at my local Lego store or any toy stores nearby. In fact, it's already getting marked up.
Fuck it, I pulled the trigger. At the very least I might hold onto it and flip it for a nice profit after it goes OOP.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm building it.

Also, I just saw this! Holy crap, Home One bridge and A-Wing set! $110! Has anyone built it?

511Hqnzy2sL.jpg

Also looks like Slave-1 is in stock! I thought that was hard to find? BOUGHT!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F7WP58/?tag=neogaf0e-20

gate777

I started freakimg a little because I've wanted tantive IV for six months. Just bought it from amazon

I have a problem...

I'm sure that everyone that posts regularly in this thread has a problem. A glorious problem of loving those plastic building bricks. Purchased my first LEGO set as an adult late last year because of this thread and have since added 2 more.

Haha saw that.

You know, I have a plan. Get either regular or limited edition version of all star wars ships. When limited or ultimate collectors editions come out, sell regular version and replace with said new set.

Oh god I am so fucked. I'm so excited about buildings my shuttle, and soon my blockade runner I can't sleep. I have work in 6 hours. @_@

Debating if my next purchase is the Imperial shuttle, another modular, or the tower bridge.

Same here. Well, probably not the modulars -- I'm afraid that if I go down that rabbit hole I'll want to get them all. I'm still leaning towards Tower Bridge for the sheer piece count and size, but all these posts about the shuttle are tempting me... it's one of my favorite Star Wars pieces and it looks like a really fun build.

Same here. Well, probably not the modulars -- I'm afraid that if I go down that rabbit hole I'll want to get them all. I'm still leaning towards Tower Bridge for the sheer piece count and size, but all these posts about the shuttle are tempting me... it's one of my favorite Star Wars pieces and it looks like a really fun build.

Imperial Shuttle for me. Piece count is high, and it looks fucking ace. And now finding out the bags arent numbered so it is a beast of a build, and add in that it will probably be OOP this year or next makes it a no brainer.

I know we are getting an UCS B-Wing this year (the mother of all fighters!), but I want a new UCS Star Destroyer and it would be really nice to finally get some Rebel cruisers. Man, a medical frigate would be a beast of a build.

This is a fan made one I found with a quick google search.
nebulon-lego.jpg

One of the things I love about these huge sets is how they use these random mish mash of pieces to give the illusion of detail. It is just brilliant.

I love how when you look at it closely it is just a jumble of wing pieces and random shit, but when you glance at it it looks perfectly detailed. That is something I could never wrap my head around when doing MOCs or when painting or drawing. My brain HAS to put in all the detail. It can't figure out how to cheat the detail, and cheating the detail is more impressive to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You know what I just noticed after looking at that pic a second time? Old and New Grey. I knew it was a pretty huge difference, but seeing the two built on top of each other is pretty striking!

f4564ebdacf14ec8f4e4e0915ff13855.jpg

lego-mon-calamari-450x459.jpg

Impressive. I want to see an official one though.

StargateLEGO2-thumb-550x576-34785.jpg

A nice Stargate MOC.

Doing a google search I dont see any real stand outs of Babylon 5 mocs. Which is a shame.

MrDaravon

Finished the Falcon, took me probably about 6 hours? It's pretty goddamn awesome, only thing that sucks is that one of the "covers" is slightly off because they totally gave me a plate piece instead of a wedge piece (and yes, we quadruple checked, it was in the same bag and didn't call for a plate piece) so I guess I'll hit up Lego.com or something for that tomorrow. I also totally didn't realize that the top of the ship totally opens up. I'm wiped right now, but I took pics in between number bags Gary, I'll post them in the morning. The bags go up to #6, and I think there was 14 or 15 bags total between them.

Punch Will and Norm for me next time you see them for getting me down this rabbit hole :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finsihed up a decent chunk of the main body of the Shuttle. Very intricate build. Seeing the gearing for the wings come together was pretty cool.

Tossing everything into two bins made it quite a bin of fun searching for pieces.

Finished the Falcon, took me probably about 6 hours? It's pretty goddamn awesome, only thing that sucks is that one of the "covers" is slightly off because they totally gave me a plate piece instead of a wedge piece (and yes, we quadruple checked, it was in the same bag and didn't call for a plate piece) so I guess I'll hit up Lego.com or something for that tomorrow. I also totally didn't realize that the top of the ship totally opens up. I'm wiped right now, but I took pics in between number bags Gary, I'll post them in the morning. The bags go up to #6, and I think there was 14 or 15 bags total between them.

Punch Will and Norm for me next time you see them for getting me down this rabbit hole :p
The person to blame is my girlfriend, she is the true Patient Zero!

MrDaravon

The person to blame is my girlfriend, she is the true Patient Zero!

Well I don't hit ladies, but I could make an exception for Will.

Edit: Went ahead and upped the pictures. I never really had Legos and my wife probably hasn't touched any in 20+ years, so it was pretty awesome for us :3

bLM6u.jpg

XXZCR.jpg

biXjE.jpg

RuiwV.jpg

3rMPB.jpg

43H80.jpg

HptW1.jpg

WC4zP.jpg

IPLw2.jpg

Y-Wing:
FhGzh.jpg

Random other sets we bought today (what is the point of the globes, ornaments or something?)
mfCGg.jpg

ghostmind

Gary - I see that you are discovering the back catalog of the cool Star Wars sets. I would grab that Mon Cal set soon, as it is starting to creep up - right now you can get it for MSRP.

Another set moving up ATM is the Battle of Endor - I just picked that one up last week for $120 (and you get an AT-ST, ewok glider, speeder bike and 12 minifigs).

vIC18.jpg

Hoth Echo Base is still a current set, but I was a little disappointed in that one. It doesn't capture the Hoth rebel base well IMO.

4eqeq.jpg

Cloud City is the holy grail - but I get a feeling we could be seeing a remake in the next couple years.

97Mbe.jpg

FYI, the TIE Defender was created for the LucasArts TIE Fighter game. If memory serves me, first you get to secure their development from attacking Rebel forces, then you get to fly them (shields and a hyperdrive!)

Have you guys had broken pieces from new sets replaced? One of the skinny stick pieces that go from the center out on the TIE Fighter wing came all bent up. It says they may ask you to return it if it was received in a new set. I also had to describe it cuz it wasn't in the list of parts for this set.

Wondering how long it takes and if they really ask you to return the broken piece.

ghostmind

That Tantive IV set has been "Sold Out" on the North American LEGO store websites for over a month now - I would get it soon, even at MSRP, rather than wait too long as I could see that set increasing in value quickly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My shuttle arrived today.

Twenty-four fucking bags and FOUR instruction manuals. My girlfriend is horrified. I want to get tantive IV now. Waiting for it to drop a little more before its discontinued.

Holy shit. Sounds like the vw camper only worse. That had maybe 10 bags, and by the fifth page they were all open :/

antonz

Yes, that one goes in my "dream" list with the UCS Falcon and the UCS Star Destroyer.

I think the "main line" set is one of the better ones though:

4W7UX.jpg

I do like the new one is far less reliant on stickers for sure. My Stickers started to peel pretty quick living in a dry climate.

rataven

Have you guys had broken pieces from new sets replaced? One of the skinny stick pieces that go from the center out on the TIE Fighter wing came all bent up. It says they may ask you to return it if it was received in a new set. I also had to describe it cuz it wasn't in the list of parts for this set.

Wondering how long it takes and if they really ask you to return the broken piece.

No worries. My Winter Toy Shop set came with a defective piece, so I contacted Lego via their site, and they sent a new part, no questions asked. Didn't request the defective one back either.

However, if you're in North America, it can take a while to receive the replacement part since their warehouse is in Denmark. So don't worry if it doesn't show up for a week or two.

TheBez

No worries. My Winter Toy Shop set came with a defective piece, so I contacted Lego via their site, and they sent a new part, no questions asked. Didn't request the defective one back either.

However, if you're in North America, it can take a while to receive the replacement part since their warehouse is in Denmark. So don't worry if it doesn't show up for a week or two.

I have a defective glass pane on one of the sets I just picked up. Is there a specific e-mail to message them at?

rataven

I have a defective glass pane on one of the sets I just picked up. Is there a specific e-mail to message them at?

Sure, go to the link below and fill out the info. You'll get an email confirming if they have the piece in stock or not, and they'll send it out shortly if they do. Great customer service. And it also works for missing or incorrect pieces that you may rarely receive.

http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/default.aspx

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I do like the new one is far less reliant on stickers for sure. My Stickers started to peel pretty quick living in a dry climate.

New one IMO is better at the front and back - nice clean lines. Just the middle is a mess, would need some fiddling to tidy it up I think.

does the UCS Star Destroyer come with a tiny blockade runner?

bovo

I've been trying to justify buying the Tantive IV for a while now, and when I was ordering a Jedi Shuttle for my son's birthday (from Clone Wars?) that I saw that the price had gone up on amazon.co.uk marketplace and it no longer appears on UK Lego site...

Of course, that meant I really needed it, and Mrs Bovo has ordered it for my birthday from amazon.com - even with massive import tax addition, it works out cheaper than I originally saw it in the UK. Now I just have to wait until mid March to see it!

Chuckie

Ok, I'm now representin' Lego with my avatar, I think it's time we took over GAF with Legotars

I was about to do that, but then Real Pic January and Fake Pic February came ;)
There is still RPG Pic March, but after that I will probably use a lego avatar hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom