• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Well not rendering 537,600 pixels out of a 1920x1080 frame (2,073,600 pixels) frame might save a LITTLE power. So that might make what's between the black look better.

However, if they were doing this purely for performance reasons then they would scale it up as so many other games have done this gen. That they aren't suggests to me that it is not entirely about saving power.
Scaling shows you hit a performance issue, (although maybe someone on GAF would argue for scaling artifacts as an aesthetic choice), this doesn't show that at all.

N2NOther

Banned
Holy shit. Sigh

If parts of my screen are not displaying an image, then yes, parts of the screen are being cut off because... there is no image there. That means my tv's entire screen is not being filled up with an image. Means... parts of the screen is being cut off. Pretty simple to follow, really. Easier for you?
Please done imply that I'm not getting what you're saying. I get it and its wrong.

Yes, you're entire screen isn't being filled but its not being cut off. "Cut off" implies that its being taken away. "Not being used" is what you mean to say.

And again I think your whole point, in regards to films, is ludicrous. It was ludicrous when widescreen hit video in the 90's and its even more ludicrous now. You're not losing a single thing in that aspect ratio. You're seeing the entire picture the way it was intended by the filmmakers.

Their intentions > your want of the entire screen filled.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm actually lost for words at some of the reactions here.

Going full widescreen is as valid a stylistic choice as choosing a monochrome palette, as in Limbo for example.

The main thing I suppose is that it challenges the notion that the number of dots that make up the image has any real meaning or value; People don't get up in arms when watching a 2:40:1 AR movie on blue-ray even though the image doesn't use the full 1080 pixels of height in the frame-buffer because its understood that the way an image is framed is a compositional tool.

However it seems in gaming we are stuck with this asinine, childish, view that its the number of pixels, not the quality of the image that is important.

Quantic Dream uses black bars as well to improve performance.

Here is what a direct feed screenshot of Beyond looks like (720p):

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-22jdld1.png

How it looks on a TV:

And here The Dark Sorcerer (1080p):

This is stupid. Stop doing this.
It's stupid in movies too.

Apparently someone doesn't know much about movies and composition. Filmmakers choose resolution very intelligently based on what they want to accomplish in their film and the kinda of film-stock they're going to be shooting on.

Chumpion

Just think about what advanced effects can be rendered if you combine sub-HD and 2.40:1 ratio. 960x400 would be true CGI quality.

StoopKid

Going full widescreen is as valid a stylistic choice as choosing a monochrome palette, as in Limbo for example.

The main thing I suppose is that it challenges the notion that the number of dots that make up the image has any real meaning or value; People don't get up in arms when watching a 2:40:1 AR movie on blue-ray even though the image doesn't use the full 1080 pixels of height in the frame-buffer because its understood that the way an image is framed is a compositional tool.

However it seems in gaming we are stuck with this asinine, childish, view that its the number of pixels, not the quality of the image that is important.

This

bj00rn_

Banned
Wait, what? But it doesn't make any sense now that we are homing in on more powerful systems and everyone finally has a 16:9 TV. Such a waste. And there's already two games confirmed? This cannot be true, can it? It's confirmed? And it's not even scalable from the console?

I hope at least all the hud elements are fitted into 16:9 so it's possible to scale it via the TV options.

StuBurns

Banned

You don't play a film, vertical screen real estate isn't important.

gcubed

clearly you haven't read much of GAF off topic

Metal-Geo

A bit of a shame it's forced. But hell, I have a 2.4:1 television set. Would personally love to see more games bring in the option for 2.4:1 ratio. I play PC games at 2560x1080 (downsampled to 1920x810) on my television and let me tell ya, it's the perfect ratio for shooters and racers.

Too bad I'm not all too interested in this game. Heh.

N2NOther

Banned
The framing of movies is what it is. The aspect ratios of displays are arbitrary. In order to preserve the original framing, bars are sometimes needed, (above and below or on the sides) depending on the movie and the display.
That's not remotely the same thing we're talking about here.
I hate to break it to you but there are a LOT of people here that are complaining about its use in movies. Which is specifically what I am referring to.

But to your point, if the game devs want this aspect ratio for their game, then so be it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This is so fucking stupid. This was something that I loved about games compared to non-IMAX edition screen filling movies, using that whole fucking widescreen.

But yeah, why not add in black fucking huge bars to be more "cinematic" eh. WHY NOT. YOU FUCKS.

Meh, it doesn't really bother me all that much. It might start getting annoying if every single game starts doing this, but this seems to be a stylistic choice. A lot of "cinematic" Skyrim ENB's also do a letterboxed 2.40:1 ratio.

Shoyz

I don't mind black bars on 16:9 content, but on my 16:10 (1920x1200) monitor those screenshots only take up half my screen's height..

rdrr gnr

It's just like the fog in Second Son. Works artistically because Seattle is foggy and damp, but it also has performance benefits. Either way, if this allows them to do something interesting so be it.

velociraptor

This seems a bit dumb.

I believe Ratchet And Clank has black bars as well (which facilitates 60FPS), but they are ever so slight, so you don't notice it.

I would prefer to see as much of the screen as possible.

I'll wait and see gameplay at that AR/Resolution before I make any rash comments, since this was a cinematic scene and all... And the only source we have is an off the cuff observation.
I would have expected most people would do the same, but GAF has a way of disappointing me sometimes.

This is so fucking stupid. This was something that I loved about games compared to non-IMAX edition screen filling movies, using that whole fucking widescreen.But yeah, why not add in black fucking huge bars to be more "cinematic" eh. WHY NOT. YOU FUCKS.

Living like this can't be good for your health.

GTFO if that is going to be the standard in next-gen games.

First no 1080p in this current gen and then black bars in next gen? A gamer can only take so much.

bj00rn_

Banned
Apparently someone doesn't know much about movies and composition. Filmmakers choose resolution very intelligently based on what they want to accomplish in their film and the kinda of film-stock they're going to be shooting on.

I think it's not that useful in movies either, but anyway.. A game is not a movie, and it shouldn't try to be one. All the wanna-be movie directors in the gaming industry should calm their misplaced cinema-experience-enthusiasm the hell down and concentrate on bringing a good experience at home first and foremost. What I mean is, a movie is made primarily to be shown in a movie theatre where 2.35 ratio is the norm. A game is primarily made for be played on TV at home, where the 16:9 ratio has been and will be the norm for great deal longer than the lifetime of a PS4 or a Xbox One. That unused screen estate is not making for a better gaming experience.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
another thing to consider is, if the action in this game were very horizontal and they didn't have many enemies shooting down at you or from below you, wouldn't this resolution work well for cutting out the fluff? just a thought.

DBT85

They can make their choice and so can consumers. Consumers choice will "win" out, unless there is something else you meant by ">".

It wasn't me that made the original post. But I read that as, what the creator of the media chooses is always going to override what the consumer of that media wants.

It is the creators creation, they can present it to you in whatever fashion they want, mime, flick book, comic, book, TV, film, interpretative dance, sculpture, 16:9, 4:3, 1.85:1 etc.

Now, if the paying public do not wish to see that creation in that format then they don't buy it. It is the choice of both sides.

As someone else said, if The Order bombs it will have fuck all to do with having black bars.

aquavelva

Jesus Christ. Games ARE NOT Movies. First it was cinematic cut scenes, then cinematic storytelling, now cinematic resolutions?

SRTtoZ

I dont care as long as the game looks great and it plays great. If it does both of those well then all of this will be meaningless to me.

Mister D

I have no problems with different aspect ratios in films or TV shows. I remember getting into heated arguments when DVDs started coming out and people wanted to chop the sides off to fit their TVs. i remember getting into arguments when HDTVs were becoming more popular and people wanted to do the same and also stretch 1.33:1 content to fill up their HDTV screens. This to me is a completely different argument.

Films and TVs are passive experiences where the creators lay out their vision before you and you have no control over what is displayed. For games where the camera is not static, you the player determines what is on your screen unless it's a cutscene or one of those scenes like in the Last Of Us where you press L2 to focus on what the devs want you to see.

This appropriation of film techniques is just wrongheaded and shows a misunderstanding by the devs of the differences between the film and game mediums as well as the strengths and weaknesses of interactive medium. Creating an immersive world and allowing the player to interact with it in new and exciting ways would be a better course of action than mangling the viewing area to incorrectly mimic what is done in film where your audience is not going to be swinging the camera all over the scene themselves.

They could still use the different lenses, film grain effects, and other stylistic flourishes within the full canvas allowed by the 1.78:1 aspect ratio of HDTVs without negatively impacting the viewing area provided to the player. If the game does have a static camera then I guess all my complaints are a non-issue as they can frame scenes as they see fit and no it will be viewed by everyone but if that is not the case then their decision makes no sense as players will be free to move the camera around and create their own scene compositions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom