• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 New Previews, More

Rembrandt

Banned
this cover art looks like ass. my brain tunes out just looking at this cover. who the fuck finds this visually appealing in focus testing?

It's the blue that's ruining it for me. Clashes and my attention is drawn to the blue instead of the actual cover.

The quotes you're pulling in that post are not even necessarily related to gunplay, which is what you were originally "concerned" about. And you're essentially quote-mining. I could do the same: 10/10 GOTY Must Play etc. So essentially that's what I was saying about getting all the info and looking for yourself. Yes, there are a few sentences here and there that can be seen as negatives. It's not the consensus at all though, because for one eurogamer "gunplay left me cold" there's 4 "that was fun" etc. I'm not entirely sure why some complain about the gunplay (or more precisely, their "punch"), considering they could only use two weapons. We've aready established that the point of the thermite gun is to burn shit up, so it makes perfect sense for it to have "shit aim" (more like, wide spread). If you're trying to mow down people like it's a gatling gun, you're doing it wrong. The pistol seems fine to me. It's a pistol. I can't think of any game where such a simple weapon is basically a one-shot machine, apart from stuff like Golden Eye's gold desert eagle. Someone noted so it just felt weak during that "drag the cop inside" sequence, so maybe it's on purpose to add tension or something, I dunno. It seemed fine in other instances where it's either a couple of shots, or one-shots (to the head). All in all, if there is a real lack of punch, then maybe it's by design. I dunno what people would expect. Something like Gears? Well then the "well it's like Gears" complaints would be even worse. From what I've seen, it might add a bit of a "survival" element to the game, so maybe it's not just for people who want 10 OP weapons that allow you to blow shit up and kill everything at first sight. It doesn't really bother me, but then again I thought SH2's "shit combat" really added to the game.
Let's just leave this alone because literally nothing you're saying is alleviating any of my concerns and as this goes on, the argument is only getting more pandantic and redundant. I've had my concerns since the original gameplay snippet and from what I've read in the hands on, the problems are still there. You can disagree all you want, but I'm not trying to convince you the game is terrible or anything. I just rather not argue over my opinion for two days, that's dumb.

nib95

Banned
this cover art looks like ass. my brain tunes out just looking at this cover. who the fuck finds this visually appealing in focus testing?

Agreed. This one is still my fave.

71WYPeKHJnL._SL1500_.jpg

Though even this one is still nice.

Rembrandt

Banned
Anyway you are not buying it so it would not matter.

While you're here, what else am I not gonna do next year, bruh? Does a definite edition of GTAV come out? Who had the best E3? Is there anything should look forward to early next year?

Do they focus test game covers?

I thought it was shitty marketing teams telling the artists to make it look like the current trend of movie posters because that will look "cool."

I echo the sentiments that the cover art is pretty bad. I like the logo, but other than that it's just a super generic, uninteresting composition of "standing all tough in a line", with some photoshop filters thrown on.

The game itself looks like it could be really good though.

nib95

Banned
I prefer the limited edition cover. On a side note, isn't that a bloody werewolf behind the main logo??

lhdl.jpg

Edit: Or is this fake? It's using the old RAD logo.

Loudninja

Jan came up with the idea for the weapon in a "jam-session." "We used to have these jam sessions where we would sit down and try to come up with the weaponry and we'd throw ideas on a wall and say, like, 'What if you combined electricity with magnetism?' I remember one day I was watching a YouTube video of thermite and seeing people cut things with it and melt things with it and I was like, 'That's so cool. What if you had a gun that did that?'" he asked rhetorically. "Since the game is built around the idea of science in the Industrial Revolution, a lot of the weapons that we came up with early on had influence from those kinds of things."

The thermite gun was Galahad's primary weapon during the short session I played, but Jan said it won't be in every level. Other members of the squad had other weaponry, most notably Igraine who wielded an elaborate archery device called the Arc bow. I expect we'll learn more about the gadgets and weapons of The Order as we get closer to launch.
Again though, the The Order looks wonderful. In fact, it looks so good that it actually feels like you are playing inside a cinematic - the graphics quality stays remarkably consistent. "The in-game characters are the same as the cinematic characters," Jan told me. "It's the same face. It's always the same. So whether it's talking or shooting, that's the same face. We just make it the same asset so it's always awesome all the time."
"They are, they are, we're swamped," he said. "But it's good. I think once you get to this point when you can actually see it come together [at E3], it invigorates people. It fuels everybody. It's this thing where everybody rallied for this [presentation and demo], and all the effort, I think it's worth it. We were all really excited to see it and watching your reaction is also kind of giving us a second wind. It makes it worth it, you know. Appreciation."
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...505-The-Order-1886-Hands-On-Worth-the-Delay.2

Rembrandt

Banned
Not even gonna comment on the new preview, lmao. But what was the point of this "media blowout," was it just to confirm the game really looked that good running? Can't wait for E3 if they're going to show more.

DieH@rd

Banned
Again though, the The Order looks wonderful. In fact, it looks so good that it actually feels like you are playing inside a cinematic - the graphics quality stays remarkably consistent. "The in-game characters are the same as the cinematic characters," Jan told me. "It's the same face. It's always the same. So whether it's talking or shooting, that's the same face. We just make it the same asset so it's always awesome all the time."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...505-The-Order-1886-Hands-On-Worth-the-Delay.2

They are really pushing it as far as they can. :)

Not even gonna comment on the new preview, lmao. But what was the point of this "media blowout," was it just to confirm the game really looked that good running? Can't wait for E3 if they're going to show more.

They will, Ru mentioned it at the very end of Gametrailers interview.

Gurish

The main problem i have with the footage they've released so far is the limited scope, it was literally corridor after corridor, even Ryse had a much bigger scope that this.
I hope it won't be ultra linear for the entirety of the game cause it almost David Cage territory here.

Other than that it is the best looking game ever but i really hope for a bigger scope otherwise this technical achievement won't be as impressive.

nib95

Banned
This was posted on second page, so I think it's just a mock up.

Doh!

I think it was a gentle reminder of how good it looks but also plays, and to get the negative news about the delay out the way. I have a feeling this game's demo is going to impress at E3, simply because I already know there's a lot they've yet to even show us. I wonder if they'll even show it all at E3 or save some of it for later previews, shows etc.

After all the dust settles I think even the "hype deflating " PR has caused so much attention that this game is on more people's radar then ever before. If for nothing else to see what's next with the title for whatever their reasons.

Now it is up to RAD to capitalize on that and blow people away at E3.

DieH@rd

Banned
After all the dust settles I think even the "hype deflating " PR has caused so much attention that this game is on more people's radar then ever before. If for nothing else to see what's next with the title for whatever their reasons.

And to make Whitechapel section playable by public on the showfloor of Gamescom [pic my friend made last year].

Rembrandt

Banned
Doh!

I think it was a gentle reminder of how good it looks but also plays, and to get the negative news about the delay out the way. I have a feeling this game's demo is going to impress at E3, simply because I already know there's a lot they've yet to even show us. I wonder if they'll even show it all at E3 or save some of it for later previews, shows etc.

I got a feeling they'll have a great video at E3. I just want to see more. Have they said any word on length? I doubt it since it's so early.

Ricky_R

I prefer the limited edition cover. On a side note, isn't that a bloody werewolf behind the main logo??

awesometheordercoverthatradwantstouse.jpg

Edit: Or is this fake? It's using the old RAD logo.

I'm honored. :D

EDIT: Here's the cover with new logo just for you.

iwWKibQYMsy9U.jpg

How are RAD doing this Witchcraft? Let's not forget, these guys are PSP devs. Not even Vita devs. The most advanced hardware they have worked with before this is under PS2 quality. They've basically skipped a gen to come in and make the best looking game on the market

It's called a budget!

Jaradakar

I personally think every member of RAD should play a copy of Max Payne 3 for gunplay inspiration.

Rockstar absolutely nailed the shooting mechanics.

We played every TPS shoot and many FPS's for research/ideas at the beginning. Every good developer researches the competition and analyzes how they fixed address problems.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We played every TPS shoot and many FPS's for research/ideas at the beginning. Every good developer researches the competition and analyzes how they fixed address problems.
I know there's a lot of negativity out there about this game but I hope the team realizes there's also a lot of excitement and takes the feedback on how to improve/show it well.

Jaradakar

Still looking forward to this game but I can't get over the fact there's no co-op. Especially when just about every bit of gameplay we've seen has at least one other person with you.

If you shoehorn co-op into single player you water down single player (I.E. just make it not as strong/fun).

The only proper way to do co-op (IMO) is to do a mode dedicated to it. In the end that doubles your work load if you want to also have a single player game, which for a new intellectual property (IP), new story you really need/want to establish. So in the end, focusing on a single aspect lets us polish that to the highest degree.

Yes, I initially thought it was a bad idea but I doubt that now. It seems to have brought people talking big time which could leave it for E3 to see the hype for this game. Should be interesting which game blows people away at E3 for Sony, this or Uncharted 4?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yes, I initially thought it was a bad idea but I doubt that now. It seems to have brought people talking big time which could leave it for E3 to see the hype for this game. Should be interesting which game blows people away at E3 for Sony, this or Uncharted 4?
Both and more

I really think this E3 will be Sony first party wanting to make a big splash and show the PS4's hardware muscle.

Top Bottom