• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 New Previews, More

Lemondish

I actually agree with his statement. I was really hoping this game would be something more than "filmic". RAD focused a lot on visual fidelity and something just doesn't feel right about the shooting aspect of it. The bullets just seem weak or hit detection is really off.

You do realize that he's not actually firing traditional bullets from that rifle, right? It's just a chunks of flammable dust that is ignited by the secondary fire. It's not meant for you to hit them with it, not like real bullets. You use it to fire at folks in cover or to take out multiple guys in one cloud.

SSReborn

You do realize that he's not actually firing traditional bullets from that rifle, right? It's just a chunks of flammable dust that is ignited by the secondary fire. It's not meant for you to hit them with it...

This is a good point as well. Though I'd assume that they would have had a more traditional gun as well for the press to use?

SDCowboy

I'll never understand the complaint that the game play is centered around shooting. That's like bashing Street Fighter for the game play being mostly fighting.

Freeman

Banned
"The Order's combat is perfectly serviceable but also forgettable. Having a seamless filmic experience, or whatever you want to call it, is all well and good, but The Order is a third-person shooter at its core, and right now there's nothing about the combat that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and demands you play more"

"While no-one can dispute that the game's graphics are hot, though, the feel of the gunplay leaves me cold. The weapons feel lightweight and the bullets they fire even lighter, and it seems the AI enemies don't always react to being shot with the force you'd expect."

-eurogamer

Doesn't mean anything. What has been show from the gameplay is very impressive.

Which other game would impress with a 2min of gameplay? Very few.

Lemondish

While it makes sense that they would have combat clothing better suited for the situation (the infiltration uniforms), I still wish those blingy ones were left as the normal combat clothes. They look so bloody awesome.

DieH@rd

Banned
Amazing.

kwakpv.gif

Corto

I love crazy inventive guns/weapons and alternate fire so that sure made me happy. They need to make enemy reactions more meaningful though. If eurogamer preview is accurate that needs to be addressed until release.

Loudninja

"We pulled the camera really close," he said. "You can still see over the cover somewhat, but you don't have free aim. You can look up over the cover or look around cover without sticking out too far. The enemies can't hit you very well when you do that. We also give you a lot of abilities to move around quickly in and out of cover.

"You can quickly detach, reattach, move, transfer to other objects very fluidly. All of the stuff we worked on was refinements to making it not feel very old school, where you'd press a button, and stuff would happen. We let you inch off and come back without doing anything more than just manipulating the analog sticks. I don't think we've revolutionized cover, we've taken things about cover and purposed them for our use specifically and then also massaged them to make them new
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5745694/the-order-1886-is-a-cover-shooter-with-grand-aspirations

Lemondish

This is a good point as well. Though I'd assume that they would have had a more traditional gun as well for the press to use?

I think that would have been the pistol, which looked fine for response and punch on the GT video. The game received a lot of flack when it first showed itself because it focused too much on traditional rifles and the like. Now they give us a video with a unique weapon and we're all clamoring for a good old fashioned rifle lol

Ru Weerasuriya "You can expect to see more at E3, new things actually for the players to experience"

Game looks stunning. Can't wait.

SDCowboy

Maybe I'm misinterpreting their preview, but that Eurogamer preview just comes across like they (or whoever wrote it) don't like shooters. I don't see how that combat shown could possibly be construed as boring.

SSReborn

How about we wait to see what the other 99.9% of the game looks like and plays like.

Did you even read my comment? I'm not criticizing the game I'm saying if that's really an issue that exists (which I don't even think it is) than it can be tweaked during development. Simple.

Loudninja

So cover is like the Last of Us
The demo dumped us into the beginning of Chapter 3 (titled "Inequalities") and gave us a first-hand look at the combat system. While we've known that it's a third-person cover-based shooter, we weren't exactly sure how it'd play. The cover mechanics are built around a "soft cover" system, as the developers called it, meaning that the protagonist will automatically take refuge behind any pillars or walls, without the need for a button prompt to execute this.

While the cover system was effective enough, it was the introduction of the Thermite Rifle that made the demo a thoroughly enjoyable affair. The Thermite Rifle shoots iron pellets that can, in theory at least, be used to shoot enemies. That's not the fun approach, though. The intended function of the Thermite Rifle is to paint the areas above and behind your attackers, and then shoot a flair at it. This ignition causes a chemical reaction that basically makes fire rain down on your enemies.
The primary intent is to give the player an alternative to the long-ago exhausted experience of gameplay devolving into a pop-up shooting gallery. Being able to circumvent cover facilitates action and adds a unique spark to the affair. Oh yeah, it's also a ton of fun to shoot semi-wildly and light groups of enemies on fire.
http://www.destructoid.com/the-orde...om-what-little-sony-will-show-us-275401.phtml

wapplew

Everything look glorious, but I still need to complaint about sound mixing.
Vocal sound too much studio recording, voice acting need to improve too.

Eurogamer's preview describes my thoughts about this game perfectly. The game looks great, but the gameplay is meh. I don't think they have delayed it because they are making sure that the transition between gameplay and cut-scenes is seamless, I think they are improving/changing some gameplay elements that could make the game play better.

scsa

because Ready at Dawn teases that the Black Water makes the knights less human somehow.

This confirms one crew member becoming something undesirable and the player has to kill them off after being emotionally attached to them throughout the initial phase of the game.

Hope RAD has a new twist on this overly used boring plot twist.

This game looks splendid.

DieH@rd

Banned
Stupidly excited. Can someone get Gamersyde on the phone?

Sadly, they have problems with Sony, which is focused on only posting new media on YT. For best quality, I recommend logging in to Gametarilers and downloading 275MB file of that interview.

Anyhow, i will post 2 more gifs! :)

Some with better gif skills want to capture the moment when an enemy is turned into a bloody mist that splatters the wall? Around 25 sec on the GT clip. I assume the Eurogamer writer thought the enemy would react differently.

RVTLB2h.png

SSReborn

I think that would have been the pistol, which looked fine for response and punch on the GT video. The game received a lot of flack when it first showed itself because it focused too much on traditional rifles and the like. Now they give us a video with a unique weapon and we're all clamoring for a good old fashioned rifle lol

Nah I prefer the new weapon that was shown but it does seem kinda silly for the press to make a comment like that based upon the weapon they previewed especially seeing how it was described in the gametrailers interview not to be a traditional gun that fires bullets. So I figured they must have had the opportunity to use another one as well.

Sorry about that. My mistake.

No problem man.

You do realize that he's not actually firing traditional bullets from that rifle, right? It's just a chunks of flammable dust that is ignited by the secondary fire. It's not meant for you to hit them with it, not like real bullets. You use it to fire at folks in cover or to take out multiple guys in one cloud.

I understand that weapon. I'm talking about in the gif when he climbs up and begins using his revolver. The bullets go through two of the guys without them reacting. Only the one headshot from the revolver really looked to cause a reaction in the first bullet.

SDCowboy

Eurogamer's preview describes my thoughts about this game perfectly. The game looks great, but the gameplay is meh. I don't think they have delayed it because they are making sure that the transition between gameplay and cut-scenes is seamless, I think they are improving/changing some gameplay elements that could make the game play better.

Different strokes, I guess. The gameplay looked insane to me.

I just love the atmosphere and visuals on this, I just wish it was more of a RPG or action adventure in this environment, instead of a "Gears clone" (based on C&VG's hands-on). Regardless, it definitely stands out from the crowd.

ron_bato

Holy moly, that looks fantastic! The animations during that slowdown mechanic was pretty cool. I'm so excited for more footage!

I'm liking what Ru is saying in the GT interview, it all sounds really good, and I hope they can pull it off. He's giving hints on a reveal of a historical figure during the time that they should be revealing soon. So excited for this!

Eurogamer's comment about the gunplay is a little worrying. I thought the game was strongly inspired by RE4 but apparently not enough...

Hope they fix it.

EDIT: (It looks and sounds perfectly fine in the latest vid though... so I dunno)

Top Bottom