• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no pre-release review copies of No Man's Sky prior to launch

Yeah, I dunno man. I was kinda looking forward to this but the streams so far have been a mixed bag so I'm glad I decided against preordering at least.

No, not really. It's almost always a red flag,

This is false. With films that don't get screened, it often is a bad sign. This is not historically the case with games, but people assign the same stigma based on the film industry.

Yeah they've lost me on this one. Waiting until reviews to come in before looking at it, same as I did with Doom.

The spoiler excuse is cute.

UberLevi

For a game like this I can understand why as they're making people avoid as many spoilers as possible. Sadly there's no reason as to why they aren't handing out review copies but it's safe to assume it's because of spoilers which are out there already.

Isn't the entire intent with this game that no two users have the same experience because of the procedural nature of the exploration? What is there to spoil?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1371204230345z4ufo.gif

Someone check on Adam please?

This is troubling.

If they're worried about spoilers, give developers a bunch of rules about what they can/can't talk about. (Devs are still of course free to simply forgo publishing an early review if they don't like the rules)

Escalario

Banned
I call BS on the reason being spoilers. The publisher could just put a "You can't spoil about this, this and this in your review" clause. Nintendo does that with quite a few of their games, like the reviews not being able to mention stuff from the secret worlds in SM3DW.

Auctopus

People have too many of their aspirations set in this game.

The subreddit think it's going to cure their acne and make the hottest girl in school go out with them because playing this game for 20 hours will make them a qualified astronaut as the game world will behave EXACTLY like our universe.

Unless the centre of the universe is a big red button that brings Carl Sagan back to life, some people will be disappointed.

Remember when everyone freaked out about this happening for DOOM and it turned out to be one of the best games this year?

It can go either way. I'm not going to judge a game based on this decision.

J_Viper

This is not a good sign.

Doom is the only recent case of a late review embargo turning out decently.

As we all know this means it will be a terrible game. LE Preorder canceled!

No way dude, you could probably sell it on Craigslist for a decent profit

I call BS on the reason being spoilers. The publisher could just put a "You can't spoil about this, this and this in your review" clause. Nintendo does that with quite a few of their games, like the reviews not being able to mention stuff from the secret worlds in SM3DW.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's for the same reason as many games: the online aspect. Now, NMS of course doesn't have any kind of traditional multiplayer, but perhaps they wanted everyone to get access to their world at once. Of course, the leaks have rendered this desire fruitless, but perhaps they made that decision ignoring the few leaks.

Spoilers is a bullshit excuse when you're shipping the game to retailers early all over the world. Who's more likely to post spoilers? NDA'd members of the press, or end users who have information everyone wants to know?

Clarifying three points:

1) There will be review copies for No Man's Sky. Previous tweet specifically about advanced copies (pre-launch)
2) There is no statistical basis for this being a bad sign. DOOM and other titles also didn't issue advanced copies.
3) There COULD be advanced copies... Just many of our sources reported they weren't getting them. None have reported to us they have.

https://twitter.com/Open_Critic

relax

For a game like this I can understand why as they're making people avoid as many spoilers as possible.

Lol, 'for a game like this'. They are usually no problems with narrative driven games, and a game focused on sandbox open world universe of exploring, collecting, crafting, trading justifies not giving review copies??

It's much more probable they want to fix all the possible bugs before the reviews start judging.

jschreier

I can't confirm this either way (still waiting to hear back from Sony) but if it's true, I'd guess it has less to do with spoilers and more to do with a day-one patch that fixes bugs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
hes been acting weird since E3. It could be addiction or a medical condition. Lets hope its neither.

I was mainly referring to the meltdown he had prior to the PS4 launch about not getting his freebie.

Ok, we're back to the old NMS=Spore comparison.

I'm out xD

Waiting on the not worth $60 divided by 13 people, built in my parents basement, only AAA 200 man teams and mega budgets with still buggy messes are worth it... maths to show up.

IvanJ

Banned
That's a shame.
I was hoping to next Tuesday and the inevitable "No Man's Sky Review Thread Dumpster Fire Shitshow - Banhammer edition".
Now even that has been delayed.

Also, looking forward to August 15th premiere showing of "PAL Charts Nervous breakdown individual format 900% digital apocalypse - The Greatest Shits Collection"

Lol, 'for a game like this'. They are usually no problems with narrative driven games, and a game focused on sandbox open world universe of exploring, collecting, crafting, trading justifies not giving review copies??

It's much more probable they want to fix all the possible bugs before the reviews start judging.

Most likely that's the case, again I'm just making assumptions.

IvorB

I wonder what the excuse will be now.

Edit: people are going with "spoilers" it seems. Strange choice for a game like this but I guess it's the best people can do.

Gator86

Every time I hear about this game, I am somehow more skeptical than before. Looking forward to all the meltdowns after release though.

Krammy

DOOM didn't do review copies either, but I feel for a title such as No Man's Sky which offers the world (or the universe hyuk hyuk hyuk), it's a pretty important detail to skip. Time and time again these games have come offering so much, just to leave players disappointed, and now that potential disappointment could be hidden away until A) Release day or B) Street dates are inevitably broken.

On top of that, as always, it makes consumers who are still interested feel like there's a lack of confidence from the publisher.

CHC

Spoilers....? The game has an actual story?

Not in a linear fashion but there is absolutely lore that you can uncover, regarding the ruins, the alien species, and potentially the player's identity (which is a mystery, not sure if is resolved in game). On top of that there are "secret" mechanics and things to discover, all of which can be spoiled.

There can definitely be spoilers.

Catvoca

Banned
I can't confirm this either way (still waiting to hear back from Sony) but if it's true, I'd guess it has less to do with spoilers and more to do with a day-one patch that fixes bugs.

If the guy who has the leaked copy is to be beloved the game has a lot of little issues that need patching so that would make sense.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Release is going to be a shit show, and it's not going to have anything to do with the actual quality of the game.

For some reason, people just go crazy where this game is concerned. I don't get it, man.

It's very simple. This is a smaller budget game which really is more of a niche game, that typically would've had a smaller following, but likely very passionate fan base. Between Sony selling it as a major AAA title and the internet hype machine the expectations ballooned.

hamchan

Is DOOM the only example where a game turned out good when no pre-release review copies were sent out?

Because it's the only one people in here can think of apparently.

Not a great confidence builder for this game really.

Top Bottom