• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Arrrammis

Why is gaf network so dead on ps4

There's 5+ Gaf networks on PS4, plus some gaffers who play in their own network for fun. Using the Gaf network to get a group together is really unreliable unfortunately.

About the whole Tone thing: it's not incredibly OP, but Tone's kit covers a lot more engagements(long range, mid range, out of cover, etc.) than any other single titan, so a lot of players default to using her, which is where it gets boring and/or frustrating. I can take on 1-2 Tones as Scorch, but when that's the only thing I ever fight (plus the occasional phase-shifting nuclear eject Ronin), it gets old.

Sweet christ, Angel City is unplayable with turrets balanced as they currently are.

Im not against them in principle, but theres no way I should be getting cross-mapped by them.

Zemm

Holy shit am I tired of taking on teams one on five in bounty hunt because the average TF2 player requires help wiping their own ass.

I'm just happy if there's another player on my team who can score more than 100 points in attrition and no players below like 30 ( which is never). I dunno what's up with this game but the average standard of player is dreadful, when you do bump into someone good it's really really obvious.

E92 M3

JIP into a Bounty Hunt match with a score of 2100-200.

Are the people who implememted the matchmaking in this game actually clinically braindead?

Get the hell out of here with that bullshit. If you're not happy with something trying being civil instead of applying a horribly tragic medical condition to a trivial situation.

It's honestly disgusting that you talk about brain death so callously.

I've asked this before but would people be up for organising some private matches sometimes? We can do matches for fun, or pseudo competitive. I can organise things on PS4 side, if people were interested then other people would need to step up to organise things on other platforms.

Could be a lot of fun, in my opinion.

JaMarco

I've asked this before but would people be up for organising some private matches sometimes? We can do matches for fun, or pseudo competitive. I can organise things on PS4 side, if people were interested then other people would need to step up to organise things on other platforms.

That would be cool but I don't think enough ppl will participate.

Get the hell out of here with that bullshit. If you're not happy with something trying being civil instead of applying a horribly tragic medical condition to a trivial situation.

Fine.

When I feel completely disrespected as a player and customer, my tone and language gets disrespectful.

Im out, anyway.

That would be cool but I don't think enough ppl will participate.

We can try. :)

I would like to know what people would want from it. Would people want casuals just for fun, or pseudo competitive stuff, like we could have a 3 vs 3 LTS tournament, or even just a single match with randomised teams. We could do CTF, bounty hunt, whatever people would like.

There's quite a few people complaining that they don't have people to play with, that Titangaf, or the networks aren't very active. We should do something to bring people together, get them playing together, and strengthen the community. I don't think the relatively crappy (but well intended) network system is good enough.

I get your perspective but he was just using it as a metaphor. In the same way people call things cancerous, and things like that. It typically intends no disrespect to those with or affected by the condition.

SwolBro

Banned
Everything was viable and people could succeed how they want. How is that not balanced?
That's so different dude. A gust of wind can hit you in COD and kill you. It's a different game. You can't have have weapons or abilities that promote camping in a game that differentiates itself with MOBILITY.

Sweet christ, Angel City is unplayable with turrets balanced as they currently are.

Im not against them in principle, but theres no way I should be getting cross-mapped by them.
Phase shift it and knock them all out. It's what i do now. Yes, it sucks, yes it takes time away from you killing pilots in order to take shit out your teammates love to ignore only to be mowed down by them repeatedly but what else you gonna do?

Tone is not that OP anymore. The next round of nerfs will have her balanced. As for Legion, that double burst shot is fucking insane. They made Legion somewhat OP again with that.

The main issue i have with the Titans is the fact that they're so slow. Even the most mobile Titans aren't that fast because the dashes don't come back quick enough. This creates all kinds of stupid problems. But clearly this is what Respawn wanted. They didn't want Titan domination to be a thing. In doing that they shaved of multiple layers of complexity and skill to the titan combat. In the end i think they should have never fucked with it. The formula was perfect. I'll still contest that LTS is darn fun though. Can't hate on that. However, the Titan play doesn't translate as well into the mixed pilot/titan modes.

I only go for Pilot kills if they are in my way or I see that they have a large amount of cash on them. I get MVP almost ever game on bounty hunt.

Pilots are worth $10 + 50% of what they are holding.

Each spawn is worth $500 credits and $500 bonus

You can't win by killing Pilots, even if you kill them twice before they reach the bank.

Right so the strategy is like rush to the spawn point asap, find a good relatively save spot to camp and exterminate as many AIs as possible.

Also about the bounty Titans, between the choice of attacking the AI vs attaching a player Titan, the right choice would be to focus on the AI?

Izuna

Banned
Right so the strategy is like rush to the spawn point asap, find a good relatively save spot to camp and exterminate as many AIs as possible.

Also about the bounty Titans, between the choice of attacking the AI vs attaching a player Titan, the right choice would be to focus on the AI?

Yeah. Whatever you earn, you keep 75% even if you die.

I know I'm not supposed to go for pilot kills in Bounty hunt, but the thing is. If I can singlehandedly trap them in their spawn, we tend to win anyway.

If it were a competitive match, I might play differently, but in these pubs it really doesn't matter. Same way in amped hardpoint. Right off the bat I'm going to go for their first point and see if we can win a game without them scoring more than 20. Again, in pubs this works quite well. I can usually kill everyone on the point, cap it, and begin to spawn trap them with my Titan.

The main issue i have with the Titans is the fact that they're so slow. Even the most mobile Titans aren't that fast because the dashes don't come back quick enough. This creates all kinds of stupid problems. But clearly this is what Respawn wanted. They didn't want Titan domination to be a thing. In doing that they shaved of multiple layers of complexity and skill to the titan combat. In the end i think they should have never fucked with it. The formula was perfect. I'll still contest that LTS is darn fun though. Can't hate on that. However, the Titan play doesn't translate as well into the mixed pilot/titan modes.

I was going through some old clips for TF1, I really do miss the speed of Titan combat:

https://www.trueachievements.com/gameclip.aspx?clipid=41126584

...and I miss the old executions :(

Oh em gee

SpWn in scorch

Tone immediately shields, hits me once or twice, empties her core, and im freaking dead

Are all cores like that?

She would have had to have core already, and he core doesn't kill Scorch outright. Scorch doesn't necessarily win the matchup against tone but if you have the right kit (increased shield duration is incredibly effective here) you can keep things pretty much even.

If you shield, take cover and stop her advancing with your firetraps you can keep her at bay and survive. That's Scorch's advantage, he gets to pick and chose his encounters because he can stop people approaching very easily. So you can work on flanking and taking offensive opportunities that are in your favour.

Rayme

JIP into a Bounty Hunt match with a score of 2100-200.

Are the people who implememted the matchmaking in this game actually clinically braindead?

See; the first sentence was useful information. I was starting to wonder what happened. Maybe the matchmaking had assigned you to the game when things where going better than that, maybe there are numbers to tweak or ratios to pay more attention to, maybe we need to think abo-

...and then your second line comes in! It's so fun. =p

I know it's tempting to think that each action in matchmaking is, directly, a tiny pixie and/or goblin methodically straight-up blessing or fucking with you, but it's a complicated system with a thankless task wrapped around chaotic entropy(?), and another part of the game that's always up for iteration. That's not to excuse bad edge cases like your 2100-200 rolling start; but no, everyone is unharmed.

The 2100-200 anecdote is useful, I'll make sure it's in our issue tracking. Thank-you for sharing it, and I'm sorry (really) that you had a bad experience from it.

She would have had to have core already, and he core doesn't kill Scorch outright. Scorch doesn't necessarily win the matchup against tone but if you have the right kit (increased shield duration is incredibly effective here) you can keep things pretty much even.

If you shield, take cover and stop her advancing with your firetraps you can keep her at bay and survive. That's Scorch's advantage, he gets to pick and chose his encounters because he can stop people approaching very easily. So you can work on flanking and taking offensive opportunities that are in your favour.

Wait my puny fire shield can block tone?

Your puny fire shield can fuck Tone up if it's in his face.

Lol. I got to try blocking

I think a major reason why i dont is because its awkwardly oa face button

Respawn, can u add auto sprint so i can make l3 a block button on titans and my pilot ability as a pilot?

Overwatch lets me customize my controls ... :/

I will, if i can be on your team... lol

Izuna

Banned
A wild Rayme appeared! Everyone, get the lasso! Make sure it doesn't get away.

Also, watch your Tone.

As for my own anecdotes. I've been recording my experiences in an Excel sheet. I haven't had the bounty different be higher than $1000 with JIP, but I fear that it may not be taken bonus in account? Because I've joined when, if all bonus was deposited, it would be almost unwinnable.

I think 9 times out of 10 LTS has been blackwater canal and CTF has been Complex in mixtape what's going on with map rotation . I'm not even being hyperbolic

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So I spent my day doing something terrible. i spent it trying to get that stupid top three in the time trial gauntlet. And I did it. Took my like five damn hours but I did it and am part of the 1.7% that hated themselves enough to try it on PS4

FStop7

Banned
Up by over 100 points and the rest of my team except for one other person just rolled over. They started running around aimlessly, rushing into turrets, dropping their titans in terrible locations, etc. The other team just feasted on them and we lost 475-469 after we were up 400-300.

Only two of us were doing anything constructive. That more than anything else makes me want to quit playing. Not gun balance or whatever.

Arrrammis

Up by over 100 points and the rest of my team except for one other person just rolled over. They started running around aimlessly, rushing into turrets, dropping their titans in terrible locations, etc. The other team just feasted on them and we lost 475-469 after we were up 400-300.

Only two of us were doing anything constructive. That more than anything else makes me want to quit playing. Not gun balance or whatever.

Yeah, I think this will become one of my "with friends" games. It's great gameplay and I really enjoy it, but it is so much better having at least one other person playing with you that know what they're doing.

I think 9 times out of 10 LTS has been blackwater canal and CTF has been Complex in mixtape what's going on with map rotation . I'm not even being hyperbolic

Yeah genuinely, this is an issue. We noticed this over the last week or so, but it's probably been this way since launch. Every time CTF comes up in mixtape it's on complex, every time LTS comes up its on Blackwater canal, Bounty Hunt is on Boomtown, Amped Hardpoint is always on Drydock or Eden.

We're not being hyperbolic, like Edward says, there has been almost no deviation from this in around 200+ games. On very, very rare occasion it will give you something else. Like we played CTF on Forward Base Kodai the other day, but that's the only match in the last two days that has deviated from this pattern. Something is wrong with the rotation.

Also, sometimes, maybe one in 10 matches or so, the matches play the old ruleset, so instead of first to 3 CTF, we play first to 5. Have some of the servers not received their server-side update? It's very odd, personally I prefer first to 5 CTF, but the consistency would be nice.

Wait my puny fire shield can block tone?

It can block all of her basic damage for a period of time, it's best to count the shots she fires and try to determine when she's going to fire a missile barage then use it to negate that damage, that way you can use it to negate 2/3 of her damage. This can be tricky though as some of her kit influences how fast she will fire the barrage. At close range you need to know because you need to make the prediction, but at long range you can often just react.

Netcode actually becomes a factor with these blocks. Playing at a high ping is a big disadvantage as the shots will register even if you have your shield up if on their screen you did not have your sheild up at the time. So the stacked latency between the two players becomes a factor in whether you will want to play reactively, or predictively. However that's another issue entirely, really.

In either case, your strategy should be to block her missile barages and try to stick around relatively high cover so that you can dash away from her core when required. You can bounce gas canisters off of walls to get them behind her and force her away from her wall, if she comes close, burn her with your shield. Having the dash ability is a must as it enables Scorch to get into cover when required as well as dash out of a bad situation while holding his shield up.

R1 has about 100, so that's something

Well, so does R2 on PS4, 300 in attrition alone fact, it's just that they're not playing Bounty Hunt. It's not a popular mode and people switch off the less popular modes as the evening goes on because it starts to take longer to find games.

That said, when I checked when you posted, on PS4 at least, there were 84 players playing Bounty Hunt. So no where near as dead as it seems to be on the XBOX at that kind of time.

Izuna

Banned
Well, so does R2 on PS4, 300 in attrition alone fact, it's just that they're not playing Bounty Hunt. It's not a popular mode and people switch off the less popular modes as the evening goes on because it starts to take longer to find games.

That said, when I checked when you posted, on PS4 at least, there were 84 players playing Bounty Hunt. So no where near as dead as it seems to be on the XBOX at that kind of time.

Welp, FFA and Bounty Hunt being dead at my preferred times (early morning) isn't great. Even at peak time there's only like 180 playing Bounty Hunt. Playing in New York is 100ms

Ishmae1

Had a JIP that was 200-1000, with the opposing team having 4 titans on the field already. The other players on my team didn't even have one ready to go.

Played for a few minutes, then quit. That kind of momentum? Not fun to go against when it's clear your team is all about getting rolled.

A few extra merits for JIP would help, since with that kind of team, I'm certainly not getting out on the dropship either.

Izuna

Banned
Had a JIP that was 200-1000, with the opposing team having 4 titans on the field already. The other players on my team didn't even have one ready to go.

Played for a few minutes, then quit. That kind of momentum? Not fun to go against when it's clear your team is all about getting rolled.

A few extra merits for JIP would help, since with that kind of team, I'm certainly not getting out on the dropship either.

Yeah that's like every 4 games for me. I can usually make the comeback, but when I can't I hate it.

Yeah they should give you a few extra merits and charge your meter to the average value of the opposing team. So if they had 3 Titans and three players with 70% charge, then you should spawn in with 85% of your Titan meter.

Izuna

Banned
X7Qcbk2.png

Man... I miss pressing the Melee button and getting an execution every time.

These are two very different games. I think I had one Titan a whole game. I can't remember the last time I've had that in R2.

--

Titanfall 2 be like
9ZfnqKk.png

(I've just tried this and hell, what a hard weapon to use...)
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/24458124 <-- me with Amped Hemlock in R1. (it killed in two bursts since the AI absorbs the other damage).

lol Amped 40mm and Damage Core. I felt like I was Tone. (also, I loved how Crits in R1 were HUGE damage boosts)

--

R1 TTK

1zsCcFR.gif

I don't know if this is common knowledge but when tap firing with SMGs, you get much higher accuracy with hip fire than when aiming down the sights.

4ehdW3x.jpg

Tap fire hip fire is on the left, tap fire ADS is on the right. Weapon was fired at ~ 30 feet away from the target.

So... basically, don't use ADS at all. I used to think they were about the same, and that I would generally use ADS because it was just less obstructive, but it's just flat out worse, awful even.

When firing the weapons in fully automatic mode it doesn't matter which you use though, the spread is about the same for ADS and hip fire. But as soon as you start attempting to moderate the fire rate with burst or semi-automatic fire, there's a huge drop in accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4yRZo56I8

Frothy's video on Tone.

I think a lot of what he says here is pretty much how most of us feel (outside of the awesome Scorch strats).

Legion can't do anything to that wall man ;( even with using the shotty etc.

He misgendered her, and then corrected himself. <3 This is going into OT2.

The only thing I would say is that he doesn't really discuss the value of being able to push her off her wall. If you're close and dash towards she'll back off. At least in my experience. Ion can also take Tone super easily because while Ion can comfortably dodge her rockets, Ion can poke out at her, or other Titan's to build core a lot more easily than she can. These encounters don't take place in isolation, you're not forced into a 1 vs 1 where one Titan has to leave dead, you can play a longer game, poke, flank, etc.

As Ion I don't have an issue taking down Tone players in LTS. I start with Overcore, rush to try and get a few nice angles, possibly a battery, usually at 60% of my core within the first 20 seconds of a match. Tone's wall doesn't last any time at all against Ions cannon.

With that said I think her biggest counter is mechanical skill, dodging with your dashes, using your shields to negate her damage from the rockets. The issue with this is that your anticipation of these rockets is made inconsistent by her kit that allows her to build two lock on charges with a single shot. They either need to remove the kit that adjusts the rate of her lock on, or let players know how many locks she has on them via the HUD. The former is probably the easiest and best option though, it was a mistake to mess with her lock on rate.

Top Bottom