• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

no pilot glow is amazing. shooting a big orange blob is so dumb.

I disagree, it doesn't look like a big orange blob, and it doesn't affect the game significantly. It just makes it a little cleaner visually, if you're going to introduce AI to a multiplayer environment, it makes sense to add some visual features in order to ensure the actual players stand out, and it also allows you to play around a little more with things like extravagant particle effects, long distances and other nonsense, without it being annoying.

It's also one of the few things that I feel negates defensive play on things like CTF. Hemlocks camping, covering choke points, the only chance an aggressive player has is if they can identify a target very quickly. The aggressor here is always disadvantaged if they know which angle to expect you, so they're not going to miss you, but you have every chance of missing them. The easy target identification makes that process a little smoother, again, I don't have an issue with that.

R1 TTK

1zsCcFR.gif

Looks like you missed him a lot though, perhaps not the best example? You're using the CAR, which has the same rate of fire across the two games. In TF1, within 3 bullets the CAR deals 198 of 200 damage up close, not quite enough to kill, in TF2 the car deals 110 damage of 100 health. So the difference is, just barely, a single bullet extra, but not if they've even been grazed by anything else. The time to kill in both instances is under 300ms, incredibly fast.

It's the same with other weapons, a single bullet more is required to kill in TF1. It is a little different, but not quite as drastic as something like that GIF makes out.

Izuna

Banned
Looks like you missed him a lot though, perhaps not the best example? You're using the CAR, which has the same rate of fire across the two games. In TF1, within 3 bullets the CAR deals 198 of 200 damage up close, not quite enough to kill, in TF2 the car deals 110 damage of 100 health. So the difference is, just barely, a single bullet extra, but not if they've even been grazed by anything else. The time to kill in both instances is under 300ms, incredibly fast.

It's the same with other weapons, a single bullet more is required to kill in TF1. It is a little different, but not quite as drastic as something like that GIF makes out.

I know I missed a bunch, but if this were R2 one of us would have been dead a long time before. It isn't just about the raw numbers, the snap aim, lack of glow, minions being a distraction (4 minions = 1 pilot so it's worth fighting them) makes it "feel" like it's much better. If a guy straight up murdered me by not missing at all, it feels more like that dude had skill. Almost every gunfight I had in R1 last night/morning had firefights like this.

I mean, Attrition Point ratio for good players in R1 (in pub matches) was MUCH better. You die once or twice before getting your Titan and you can get about 150-180 in a single Titan. That's 150:8... 50% of the score.

R2, you can't pull those sorts of numbers. 50% is almost impossible and chances are you're going through at least 2 or maybe 3 Titans per match. I think the real reason why Attrition matches are so close is because of how unlikely it is to hold onto a Titan.

Man, if you had perfect aim, the 40mm (hitting crits), you could win pretty much ANY fight by merely having better aim. Dashing in, popping Cluster behind a Titan then hitting smoke... You could get like 60% of a Titan's health just by predicting their movement.

I think if anything... Titans have been completely revamped going from R1 to R2. I think that's where the majority of the differences are.

I'd like the ability to play the original every now and then, I hope it doesn't die completely. Respawn made a bloody masterpiece.

P.S. I'm still hoping for the radar to have options in R2

Izuna

Banned

For me, the Radar's red "flashes" makes the original pings invisible most of the time, I almost never get to react to the circles. I don't know how easy it would be but I would like the ability to have them be transparent or stay on the outer rim (like they do at a further distance).

I haven't fully checked this but it feels like minions cause the same flashes.

I know I missed a bunch, but if this were R2 one of us would have been dead a long time before. It isn't just about the raw numbers, the snap aim, lack of glow, minions being a distraction (4 minions = 1 pilot so it's worth fighting them) makes it "feel" like it's much better. If a guy straight up murdered me by not missing at all, it feels more like that dude had skill. Almost every gunfight I had in R1 last night/morning had firefights like this.

I mean, Attrition Point ratio for good players in R1 (in pub matches) was MUCH better. You die once or twice before getting your Titan and you can get about 150-180 in a single Titan. That's 150:8... 50% of the score.

R2, you can't pull those sorts of numbers. 50% is almost impossible and chances are you're going through at least 2 or maybe 3 Titans per match. I think the real reason why Attrition matches are so close is because of how unlikely it is to hold onto a Titan.

Man, if you had perfect aim, the 40mm (hitting crits), you could win pretty much ANY fight by merely having better aim. Dashing in, popping Cluster behind a Titan then hitting smoke... You could get like 60% of a Titan's health just by predicting their movement.

I think if anything... Titans have been completely revamped going from R1 to R2. I think that's where the majority of the differences are.

I'd like the ability to play the original every now and then, I hope it doesn't die completely. Respawn made a bloody masterpiece.

P.S. I'm still hoping for the radar to have options in R2
I don't know, I see good players do exactly what you're saying in Tf2 all the time. It's also a lot harder to do with a larger playerbase since you will have a better chance at getting more skilled players on your team. There are only so many points to go around in attrition. When playing solo, i'm usually getting 100-200 points in Attrition but when i'm playing with a team full of decent players the score is much more spread out. When playing with great players, i might only get 50 pts, despite winning most of my encounters or not dying. I can go long stretches in this game without seeing any enemies if my team is decent. Also, i disagree about grunts, I've played lots of games where grunt kills determined the winning team

SwolBro

Banned
I disagree, it doesn't look like a big orange blob, and it doesn't affect the game significantly. It just makes it a little cleaner visually, if you're going to introduce AI to a multiplayer environment, it makes sense to add some visual features in order to ensure the actual players stand out, and it also allows you to play around a little more with things like extravagant particle effects, long distances and other nonsense, without it being annoying.

It's also one of the few things that I feel negates defensive play on things like CTF. Hemlocks camping, covering choke points, the only chance an aggressive player has is if they can identify a target very quickly. The aggressor here is always disadvantaged if they know which angle to expect you, so they're not going to miss you, but you have every chance of missing them. The easy target identification makes that process a little smoother, again, I don't have an issue with that.

I don't agree with this at all. hitting a moving target that is glowing like a christmas tree is much easier than hitting a moving target that it isn't.

Hitting someone camping isn't going to be that different, as long as you do see them. If you don't see them then sure it's a problem. Titanfall 1 did have visibility issues but that had to do with more than pilot outlines. All they had to do was up the glow from the helmet, elbows, etc. A complete outline was not necessary.

And are we forgetting there's other modes here now without a.i? even attrition and bounty hunt don't seem to have as much a.i as attrition in titanfall 1 and the ones that are there are concentrated around the maps, they're not all over like they were in the first game. It's very different. Frankly, i don't even see it as a complaint if you can't make it out. I liked the fact it was like this in the first game, they served as a way for you to move more freely around the map without sticking out that much.

You find something new every day :D
No, been saying this since the tech test.

I don't know, I see good players do exactly what you're saying in Tf2 all the time. It's also a lot harder to do with a larger playerbase since you will have a better chance at getting more skilled players on your team. There are only so many points to go around in attrition. When playing solo, i'm usually getting 100-200 points in Attrition but when i'm playing with a team full of decent players the score is much more spread out. When playing with great players, i might only get 50 pts, despite winning most of my encounters or not dying. I can go long stretches in this game without seeing any enemies if my team is decent. Also, i disagree about grunts, I've played lots of games where grunt kills determined the winning team

Are you talking about the times where I'm spawn trapping them and haven't bothered to mention it to anyone else on the team? haha. :(

But yeah I know what you mean, I've had games like that too from time to time, I remember we had that one where you were killing everyone with the EVA. :)

Another bullet hit would have taken another 70 milliseconds. It's not a long time.

I

A single player getting 50% of the score does not seem like a good thing to me. It just suggests that the learning curve is high and has only been surpassed by a small portion of the community.

That's not necessarily a positive.

I often manage 150+ scores, which is a very good portion of the teams contribution, and have managed to get 200-270 scores on a number of occasions too!

I don't see the sustainability of Titan's being an issue. I think I would get bored if I was in a Titan the entire game. With that said, I often get a Titan and have it for the entire match, especially with Ion in Attrition or Amped Hardpoint.

That's cool, but now it's less about mechanical skill and more about strategy, matchups, tactics. These all add new elements to the game which can be fun in their own right. I really enjoy coordinating with a team in LTS, the slow pacing of the game affords tactical adaptation through movement and synergy between allied abilities, and the unique Titan's and their match-ups facilitate strategic calculation between rounds. It's fantastic, the way that pilot gameplay emphasises mechanical skill while Titan gameplay is slow paced and strategic, I absolutely love it, it's like having two games in one, and it helps create a sandbox where there's something for everyone to enjoy.

My fiance doesn't like running around as a pilot so much, it's too twitchy and reactive for her, reliant on mechanical skill, but she likes the strategic, coordinative elements of Last Titan Standing, even if she does complain when I steal her kills.

Multiplayer games die. Titanfall 1 and Titanfall 2 will die out eventually, sadly. Personally I'm looking forward to Titanfall 3.

If you want to preserve the experiences offered by games you should push for LAN support and offline co-operative play. I don't buy games that are online only, and I am disapproving of multiplayer games that don't have LAN support.

I don't agree with this at all. hitting a moving target that is glowing like a christmas tree is much easier than hitting a moving target that it isn't.

Hitting someone camping isn't going to be that different, as long as you do see them. If you don't see them then sure it's a problem. Titanfall 1 did have visibility issues but that had to do with more than pilot outlines. All they had to do was up the glow from the helmet, elbows, etc. A complete outline was not necessary.

And are we forgetting there's other modes here now without a.i? even attrition and bounty hunt don't seem to have as much a.i as attrition in titanfall 1 and the ones that are there are concentrated around the maps, they're not all over like they were in the first game. It's very different. Frankly, i don't even see it as a complaint if you can't make it out. I liked the fact it was like this in the first game, they served as a way for you to move more freely around the map without sticking out that much.

I'm not forgetting that, but you can't have a target identification system applied to some modes, and not others, and the AI driven modes are very much the centre piece of the game, regardless of how much I enjoy the other modes, the AI driven warzones is still what Respawn advertise with Titanfall 2, so it makes sense that those design considerations persist across the game, consistently. To have inconsistent player representations across modes would just be poor user experience design.

The contrast in this game can be poor generally because of how diverse the environments are, creating a consistent target is a good thing. Sure, they could have toned it down a little, if that's what you prefer, but creating consistent contrast across all of the games environments is important. For the most part this isn't a game about camping and hiding, if you want to utilise that kind of playstyle then you're going to need to pay a price to do it (by selecting cloak in your loadout).

Izuna

Banned

Two things here.

50% of 475 is ~237. I've never witnessed that number myself whereas 150+ was actually a challenge set by Respawn for each map.

Another thing is that I'm referring to AP ratio (not a thing, but bare with me). In R2, a Titan death is 2% of the score, with a Pilot death being about 1%. We can't see how many times people die in R2, but even when you see scores of absolute blowouts you can see that the losing team still killed usually 10 or more Titans. Getting such high AP ratios in R2 would require you to take out a lot of Titans and not lose your own. With Core Abilities, no rechargeable shields and certain classes strategies being based on mitigating loss of health for damage, it's just not really possible.

I don't believe the "skill level" of R2 players is better with the higher polls, I just think that Titan combat has shifted to being team-tactical. The solo player who carries his team against an average group is gone. I suspect that my Attrition Win% must be close to 60% at best in R2.

Bounty Hunt has the opposite attribute. Right now, people don't understand the game type and it's so easy to Nuclear kill at least one Bounty Titan each round, especially Wave 2's since the lower skill player leaves all the minions making it super easy to get a Titan in the first minutes of the game. I like Bounty Hunt in R2, not just because pub-stomping is easy, but because I like the idea, but knowing that it was possible to improve in a solo-queue was a good thing.

In a game with aggressive SBMM and less skill gap with regular play *cough* Overwatch *cough*, I wouldn't feel like I'm improving.

I'm not the best at R2 but I'm also not sure what I could improve. Aim is good enough to beat anything I get the jump on, I can Phase Shift out of danger for the most part, and I've got air-strafing down (more so than I did in the original by far). I feel like I should be able to survive better as a Titan, but I've come to accept that a lot of the learning is more about understanding the encounter design, as opposed to using the abilities/aiming better.

It's strange because I'm so much better at R1 in terms of playing pub games, but at the same time, I feel like there's so much more room for improvement.

I think from now on, I'm going to avoid Bounty Hunt a bit. I feel like I've pretty much got it sorted on the default meta and atm it's for the community to catch up. It's a shame because I know that for me to improve in Attrition, I need to focus on getting better at Pilot vs. Pilot combat ;(

A single player getting 50% of the score does not seem like a good thing to me. It just suggests that the learning curve is high and has only been surpassed by a small portion of the community.

That's not necessarily a positive.

You must forgive my use of the term better. I didn't mean to say which one I preferred or suggest which is a "better" situation. I wanted to comment merely that scores were higher for the pub-stompers.

~~

I realise you may not have played R1, but really, combat is MUCH longer. Regardless, it's very misleading to suggest that general TTK is the same just because the raw numbers are there. When people report that you had more survivability in R1, it's due to a variety of factors.

Angel City is a nice map, but it doesn't bring this situation back into R2, it just helps a tad bit.

I don't feel more vulnerable in R2, but I so feel like I can randomly die for the mere fact that someone looked in my direction.

~~

I'm perfectly happy preferring R1, and hoping for R2 to mould in such a way that it becomes closer to the experience where it makes sense. My recent posts are just to illustrate the differences, don't take it as if I'm saying all these things are objectively better.

----------------------------

It looks as if this thread isn't going to move anywhere near as fast as I thought so I'm going to take the extra time I have to include some tips and strategy in OT2.

Izuna

Banned
It has to be said that prior to R1, I was basically 100% garbage at basically every online competitive game baring SF4. I think when I originally played R1, I was the worst on the team for like the first couple of weeks. I loved it, though. I'm still garbage at Halo and super garbage at CoD ~~ so what I got "good" at in R1 was exploiting the strategy of "understanding the game". Haha.

It has to be said that prior to R1, I was basically 100% garbage at basically every online competitive game baring SF4. I think when I originally played R1, I was the worst on the team for like the first couple of weeks. I loved it, though. I'm still garbage at Halo and super garbage at CoD ~~ so what I got "good" at in R1 was exploiting the strategy of "understanding the game". Haha.

Same. Both Tf games and Halo are the only competitive shooters I'm able to actually go positive.

SwolBro

Banned
It looks as if this thread isn't going to move anywhere near as fast as I thought so I'm going to take the extra time I have to include some tips and strategy in OT2.
Keep the OT simple, with questions answered that people will actually read j/k =D Include some basic tips but nothing too crazy and answer questions like
  • Population count by platform
  • Free content how does it work
  • Will i get crushed being a newbie
Stuff i see all the time on reddit.

I still love the game except a few annoyances - am I insane? ._.

Happy third advent!
i still love the game, probably my fav up there with the first for best shooter in a long time. it very well can overtake Titanfall 1 by the end of its' run after all the proper changes but as of now there's too much annoyances. Plus, a big factor will be how the next crop of maps will be and what will they do about CTF.

If they don't do something for the CTF crowd soon i'm out. There's no point in me continuing to play the game in modes i never really played much of in the first game. It's not getting any more enjoyable for me. I know the maps, i know how to move, i know each gun, and i rarely place below 1st in pilot v pilot which is arguably the most competitive public mode right now.

If CTF doesn't come back as a decent playlist i'm done with gaming or maybe i'll jump back into Overwatch which i had a temporary stint with a few months ago.... most likely i'll be done with gaming for a while.

Izuna

Banned
Keep the OT simple, with questions answered that people will actually read j/k =D Include some basic tips but nothing too crazy and answer questions like

I've spent more think choosing what sort of design I wanted than the text itself, haha. I make it sound like there are hours of work in here, but really it's more that I've spent hours considering which 30-minute works I wanted.

SwolBro

Banned
Your devotion to that game mode is sweet and terrifying.

The secret-2nd-page problem is recognized. Solutions are coming.
Drop the fucking balloons!!! Time for celebration!!! =DDDD

I'm sure everyone in the studio is scratching their heads like "ok people don't realize there's a second page? there's a big arrow right there!!!!" and I agree, it's ridiculous. But hey ya just never know these days. I'm still convinced the most popular modes in the first game were by which appeared first on the list lol. The general gaming public is weird.

As for my obsession with ctf...

it's not only me. It's all the really good players from Titanfall 1. Before i got into CTF after the launch of Titanfall 1 i truly did think it was COD with mechs. I had no idea what the game was capable of until i started to play CTF about 3 weeks after launch. The mode is what makes the game truly truly shine. It is the ONLY mode that requires you to be skilled in
  • Pilot movement
  • Pilot gun play
  • Offensive/defensive play
  • Titan play
  • Teamwork
  • Individual ability
Every other mode you can get away with being decent at only a few or one of those. In this mode you need to be good at every single element of the game and in turn you see every single aspect played out to it's maximum in the course of a CTF match.

KodaRuss

This is me somewhat as well. Most games I am a 1.0 k/d ratio if not a little higher. 1.1 in ranked Siege but in this game I am top 3 75% of the time and mvp almost 45% of the time.

I rarely hit those marks in other games.

Izuna

Banned
This is me somewhat as well. Most games I am a 1.0 k/d ratio if not a little higher. 1.1 in ranked Siege but in this game I am top 3 75% of the time and mvp almost 45% of the time.

Man, my MVP% is 67% atm. I wish I could pull that number in any other game.

KodaRuss

Man, my MVP% is 67% atm. I wish I could pull that number in any other game.

Mine is tanking hard right now trying to learn Northstar in LTS.

I still would like to know my win% by game type. I want to see my Coliseum rankings. I play at least a few matches a night in it. Losing is pretty rare for me right now.

Two things here.

50% of 475 is ~237. I've never witnessed that number myself whereas 150+ was actually a challenge set by Respawn for each map.

Another thing is that I'm referring to AP ratio (not a thing, but bare with me). In R2, a Titan death is 2% of the score, with a Pilot death being about 1%. We can't see how many times people die in R2, but even when you see scores of absolute blowouts you can see that the losing team still killed usually 10 or more Titans. Getting such high AP ratios in R2 would require you to take out a lot of Titans and not lose your own. With Core Abilities, no rechargeable shields and certain classes strategies being based on mitigating loss of health for damage, it's just not really possible.

I don't believe the "skill level" of R2 players is better with the higher polls, I just think that Titan combat has shifted to being team-tactical. The solo player who carries his team against an average group is gone. I suspect that my Attrition Win% must be close to 60% at best in R2.

Bounty Hunt has the opposite attribute. Right now, people don't understand the game type and it's so easy to Nuclear kill at least one Bounty Titan each round, especially Wave 2's since the lower skill player leaves all the minions making it super easy to get a Titan in the first minutes of the game. I like Bounty Hunt in R2, not just because pub-stomping is easy, but because I like the idea, but knowing that it was possible to improve in a solo-queue was a good thing.

In a game with aggressive SBMM and less skill gap with regular play *cough* Overwatch *cough*, I wouldn't feel like I'm improving.

I'm not the best at R2 but I'm also not sure what I could improve. Aim is good enough to beat anything I get the jump on, I can Phase Shift out of danger for the most part, and I've got air-strafing down (more so than I did in the original by far). I feel like I should be able to survive better as a Titan, but I've come to accept that a lot of the learning is more about understanding the encounter design, as opposed to using the abilities/aiming better.

It's strange because I'm so much better at R1 in terms of playing pub games, but at the same time, I feel like there's so much more room for improvement.

I think from now on, I'm going to avoid Bounty Hunt a bit. I feel like I've pretty much got it sorted on the default meta and atm it's for the community to catch up. It's a shame because I know that for me to improve in Attrition, I need to focus on getting better at Pilot vs. Pilot combat ;(

You must forgive my use of the term better. I didn't mean to say which one I preferred or suggest which is a "better" situation. I wanted to comment merely that scores were higher for the pub-stompers.

~~

I realise you may not have played R1, but really, combat is MUCH longer. Regardless, it's very misleading to suggest that general TTK is the same just because the raw numbers are there. When people report that you had more survivability in R1, it's due to a variety of factors.

I don't understand why you don't feel like you're doing well in R2. Your gifs always look pretty good, and what I've played of the XBOX ONE version didn't seem different to the PS4 version. I'm sure it is in competitive play, but not in pubs unless your especially unlucky.

As for all of what your saying about time to kill, I get it, it's a little more survivable, but it's not that different. If your shot at by someone on a roof top with a clear sight on you, you were still likely dead. Look at videos like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb60Vlqozk

People like you say that the TTK makes a huge difference, but it never stopped things like that happening. I'm not saying it isn't a difference, but to act like it's night and day isn't realistic. 70ms increase in time to kill is a difference, but it isn't as if it went from Halo 3 to Call of Duty. And there were other features that were straight up more powerful against pilots, like the Titan's themselves.

As for the skill level, no I wasn't suggesting it was higher in Titanfall 2, almost the opposite. The learning curve is a little lower, it's harder to do incredibly well because everything has been brought down to make everyone more killable.

Pilots are slightly more killable by small arms fire, making even the best players vulnerable if they make the wrong moves, while Titan's take permanent damage. Titanfall 2 makes everyone pay for their mistakes, Titanfall 1 forgave them, provided you were a little more accurate than your opponent, or a a little faster to react, you had more of an opportunity to straight up turn around and kill them.

It's similar to how fighting games work, a bad player will never beat someone much better than them, the learning curve is too steep, relatively small amounts of additional skill amount to incredible increases in performance. Titanfall 2 lessens that learning curve, making the game more accessible and bringing players closer together. That does mean that some TF1 veterans might struggle in TF2, because if you were just 'good enough' to surpass the learning curve, you got a relatively easy ride to achieving very good performance via the Titan mechanics.

A 1.5 KDR player becomes a 5.0 KDR player because they've done just enough to surpass the learning curve which facilitates the toolset that makes them almost unstoppable. While in most games just being a 1.5 player means just that, you're a little better than someone else, when you have higher time to kills, regenerating Titan shields, faster paced gameplay with a greater emphasis on mechanical skill, you create an environment where being just a bit better than everyone else is enough to win every encounter you come across. Titanfall 2 still has some elements of that, it's been toned down, the learning curve which was more like a wall in TF1, is a steady hill climb now.

That guy that posted way back with the 10.0 KDR in TF1 was a good example of this. He had more than 70% of his kills in the Titans, even on TF2 he had more than 50%. The benefits of surpassing the learning curve are still there for those that want to take them, but they are less significant. The reason you are struggling more in TF2 is because of the structure of this learning curve. While on TF1 you were just good enough to be at the top of the curve (or wall) with the majority of players sitting at the bottom, in TF2 there are more players surrounding you.

This is what I mean, iterated with a diagram (sorry for the crude drawing, I was bored though).

HlodYyr.png

So the reason you're doing better at TF1 is because you've done enough to get over that hurdle, not necessarily better than the best players, but better than the majority because you're over that hurdle, and because that hurdle places you so significantly above the majority below it.

TF2 has taken deliberate action in its design to tackle that, shrinking the steepness of its climb in skill. This has various effects that underpin your performance and also generally speaking, I feel they're better for the game.

If you pick a random player out here, unlike in TF1, the odds are that they'll not be as far from you in terms of skill. Even if they're lower, the difference is such that they're going to have at least a chance of killing you, even if you will win the majority of encounters against them in a match.

This isn't a bad thing though. Yes it makes the game more accessible, but that isn't as awful as some people would make out, there's still a continual climb in player progression, but that's the thing, it's going to feel like a continual climb. People are going to feel as if they're getting better and better as they play, they're less likely to hit a wall, and they're more likely to feel that their moment to moment gameplay provides them with more influence on the match. Because in theory, they can kill the best player, the right bullet the right moment, they can turn things around.

The game still has a significant enough climb to make time investment feel rewarding and at a strategic and at a team level the learning curve is much more significant than my diagram iterates, but that doesn't matter in these public games. With this shift in focus more people are able to stay in their zone of proximal development, more people are afforded a sense of flow where they're able to experience a game that keeps them comfortably inbetween a level of challenge where the game is neither so easy (above the steep learning curve) that they become bored due to the lack of challenge, or so difficult (below the steep learning curve) that they feel anxious and frustrated.

The other option is to use some form of aggressive skill based matchmaking to pull similarly skilled players together and effectively separate the divide that way, but that doens't tend to work in games with that type of learning curve. Based on tests I've seen reported, Call of Duty doesn't accurately apply skill based matchmaking to players above a 1.9 kill to death ratio, because that places them in the top 1%, where it just doesn't have the player base to get them into same-skilled matches in a timely manner (despite the game being incredibly popular).

I think Respawn made the right decisions with TF2, perhaps a little too far in that direction (I hate turrets and I think the time to kill adjustments go too far when amped damage and weapons that can one-burst you are considered) but I'm also confident that they'll be making progressive improvements to the games balance to create the ideal balance between the two styles. I don't expect them to universally change the TTK back to TF1's standards, but tweaking some of the nonsense (Hemlock, Devotion, Amped Weapons, G2) would make me very happy.

What's your KDR in this game though, is it much higher? I find it interesting that people say that.

The reason is that a lot of games have skill based matchmaking though, or at least that's part of the reason. So on Siege you end up close to 1 because it pits you against players as good as you, if you're better than average, it doesn't let you exercise that because it puts you against people of similar skill, it makes you average relative to your lobby.

I remember when I first started playing the Halo games, casual wasn't ranked but ranked was. I did so much better in casual to ranked, and always wondered why my ranked KDR wasn't much above 1. It was my first real shooter (alongside Call of Duty at least) and it made me feel like I wasn't getting better, but when I went to casual I realised I was. I spent all my time in ranked playing Team Swat, with a 1.3 or so KDR, but then when I went to casual I was nearly unkillable.

Titanfall 2 doesn't use any aggressive skill based matchmaking, so when playing within a random sample, you're probably just better than you think. It also depends who you play with. I have a 2.3 ranked KDR on Siege (my rank never stabilised and I stopped playing before it did) and when I play Titanfall with my friends from other games who I know to be very high skill, we end up fighting for the MVP spot every game with 150-200 points each.

I've mostly stopped worrying about the MVP stuff, since I don't play the objective in the way that Respawn reward me on Amped Hardpoint or Bounty Hunt. I'm still convinced my playstyle is helpful, but I understand why the scoring system is as it is because it promotes a certain type of play, it pushes player behaviour in a positive direction, they don't ignore the objective.

My KDR here is about the same as it was on Modern Warfare 2. On Modern Warfare 2 it started around 2.2 after the first week and then I pushed it up to 3.8, on TF mine is 3.3 with a last game average between 4 and 15. I ended up quitting MW3 because I was bored, that game had a similar reward system to the Titan's here, kind of, except the reward system was messed up. Killstreaks promote slow paced gameplay and camping, and the AC130 and other killstreak rewards are shallow and undeserved. When I do well on this game I get my Titan, my Titan provides me an advantage (which I've earned) but not something that's near impossible to combat. The interplay between Titan's, pilots and enemy Titan's add an incredible amount of depth and strategy to the game, while on Call of Duty, killstreaks are shallow, counteroffensive to enjoyable gameplay dynamics and often find themselves sucking depth and strategy out of the experience, as the opposing team find themselves losing games and being slaughtered by something that's neither their fault, or something they have the agency to combat. I'm really not a fan of the games design.

Izuna

Banned

I skimmed your post twice before reading it word for word. I should note, I never said otherwise. What you illustrate in the hilarious graph is what I implied when I talked about survivability going down. In my mind, however, I see R2 is as being a series of steps with 3 significant jumps.

EDIT: It has to be said, my Win% in R2 is MUCH higher than it ever was in R1. As is my MVP% (51% to 67%). I'm statistically doing better in R2, but I definitely ain't carrying as much as I could in the original.

The reason why I don't feel good in R2 is because it's similar enough to R1 that when I'm constantly reminded that survivability is down -- that I can't Stim to safety more often that not when I want to -- that I can't take on a Titan as a Pilot all by myself (in R1, I can Sidewinder and murder a full health Titan from the average player) -- and finally, that once my Titan is at low health I may as well look into ways to Kamikaze, it makes me feel like I have less options; or rather, that I constantly unsure what it is I'm supposed to be doing.

It's in the extreme minority that I'm playing against a team full of players better than myself. I feel like the skill gap is still there, just that it doesn't mean much. The game's new encounter design has made me come to one certain conclusion:

everyone constantly feels like they're playing like shit​

The score, whether it is in Bounty Hunt or Attrition, doesn't matter. I don't feel skilful in the games I get 200 Attrition Points, nor do I feel skilful in the games I get $4000. I don't feel skilful for every Goose I get. I certainly don't feel skilful when I gun someone down with the Hemlock.

I do, however, feel skilful when I win a firefight in R1 with the C.A.R. even though I missed a bunch (the gif from before). I feel skilful when I pop Damage Core and gun down a WHOLE Ogre with the 40mm, Cluster and Smoke despite starting the fight with a bit of health but full shield.

In the R1 games I played, I think I lost 40% of them (matchmaking isn't very good there but that's to be expected), but even so, nothing in the whole session made me rage.

I'm discussing a number of things here. My personal preferences, the differences between R1 and R2, as well as speculating on why I enjoy one over the other. I can't find much in R2 that I personally prefer.

Anyway...

That GameSager video you linked... I've posted that before as an example of the sort of player who is empowered in R2. I actually hate his gameplay there. It's a perfect example of why I don't like watching GameSager gameplay in general. He's in the middle of a CTF match... Anyone can play in that sort of way against a team like that, and the important thing to note is that it's boring.

But that's beside the point. I have no idea why he was never contested, but what's important to note here is that his team is winning the CTF game for him. If he actually helped play the objective, he would have won faster. With regard to TTK, that would be a terrible way to play Attrition (those spawns are only like that because it's CTF, for one) and at the very least, you can see how he's not instant killing people.

I do suggest that you play a bit of R1 if you have EA Access at least. In fact, I'd give you a 1 Month Code if you want. People survived a lot longer in R1 and there were many fights you could spot and choose to avoid.

In fact, one of the devs for R2 mentioned about how it was somewhat hard for players to kill each other in the original.

P.S. anyway, I don't think there's any point in having a discussion about the higher TTK/survivability in R1 if you're not speaking from experience. I've not heard from many people that find it the same (anyone I know and have played with, actually).

I'm not lying when I say R2 is a far less satisfying game. In its current state, it is for me. I've played more R2 then I did R1 when it was out for the same amount of time. The game still hasn't "clicked" for me.

What's your KDR in this game though, is it much higher? I find it interesting that people say that.

My K.D in R1 was stuck at 2.1 (and went down to 1.8 when the latest achievements came in and were super grindy like the daily challenges). In R2, it'll never be like that because I'm perfectly fine suiciding in order to get everything I need in Bounty Hunt. It's like a timed mode for me, I care less about how many times I die, but more about taking the extra risk for the potential to have a Titan drop before the start of a Bounty Titan round.

TITANFALL 2 |OT2| Don't Misspell Hemlok

Wow... I've just noticed this lmao.

Izuna

Banned
about to start mp today, haven't played since tf1 a few years ago. anything i need to know or basic setup to get me going?

Hemlock and Tone

If you're playing Bounty Hunt, the meta is to Nuclear on the Bounty Titans (you have to be doomed though so self-damage if you need to).

Phase Shift is needed if you use Nuclear on a lot of maps.

----

Actually guys. Is Drydock available in Bounty Hunt? I've literally never played it.

It might be a bad way to play something like Attrition but when you learn to predict spawns that stops being so. I can hop towards the other side of the field, kill the enemy team and then anticipate their respawn point, most of the time. Pilot vs pilot is valuable in this regard, because it shows you the enemy spawn points and those also transfer to attrition.

Bounty Hunt is the same. I push forward and because my team occupy mid and the area near where we originally spawned, I know they will be spawning where they first started. It won't flip unless I actually enter their spawn, and if I was playing with a coordinated team, we could keep it this way for the entire game. The bounty stops mattering as much if you can prevent the opposing team from leaving the building they spawn into. I've never made it that bad for them, not for an entire round of something like bounty hunt anyway, but there are moments where we've trapped them for an entire game of Amped Hardpoint, with them scoring less than 20 points to 400.

Like you I play for the early Titan too, but I still disagree with your idea that playing aggressively somehow isn't playing the objective. I kill the opposing team, build my meter, keep them off the minions, and my team often finish with almost all of the cash on the first wave. It depends on your playstyle but in pubs I find it more risky to go for the minions than it is to kill the players personally. It doesn't always work, but it's good fun and in my opinion, worth the risk.

I think similar about CTF too, I saw you say before that if you play CTF as a runner that means you're going to lower your KDR. I don't think so personally. As a runner I push their base first, and oftne, I get my kills first and get the Titan out first. If I grab the flag I run it back, in pubs it's not anywhere near as unsafe as it would be in competitive matches, if my team mate caps the flag then I use my Titan, or my pilot to hold the enemy off.

I don't think the spawns are bad, to clarify. Anticipating an enemies spawn and surrounding it is a legitimate strategy which isn't at all the same as spawn killing. I'd much rather this system than not being able to predict spawns and being shot in the back because the games randomised systems make retaining good situational awareness impossible. As for Gamesager, I agree with you on some of his videos but I think others are pretty good. The best way to get better at the game is to focus on your mechanical skill, your accuracy, ability with each weapon, your routes across the map. If you watch Sager's competitive matches, he's actually pretty good, and all of this aggressive experimentation in public matches feeds into that.

You can say he doesn't help his team, getting 60 kills in a match and not helping with the objective, but his presence was oppressive and clearly made it much much more difficult for the opposing team. I haven't had much experience in competitive matches since long-past Call of Duty, but it's always important to ignore the scoreboard and perform what you think is the best play (as an individual and as a team), even if it doesn't feed into the score.

The best example of this is in amped hardpoint. It's far far better to kill the opposing team before they are able to contest B, ambushing them on their way, rather than on the point itself, yet the game doesn't reward you for these kills. It reminds me of Rocket League, points for saving a ball from goal, extra points for saving it on the goal line, but if you'd been preemptive with your defense you'd not have needed that risky save in the first place. A preemptive block is more valuable than a last second save, yet the latter is rewarded above the former. It's the same on Titanfalls amped hardpoint, and in my opinion, to an extent in Bounty Hunt too.

As for playing the original Titanfall, I did play it, just not enough to say I really got into it. I didn't own it myself. I don't need to have played it extensively to argue the merits of the shorter time to kill however. An interesting ad hominem nevertheless.

I also know it's what you were talking about in regards to suitability, but you were only talking about as if the changes were purely negative in their effect. As if all of these little details were somehow worse than TF2. Something like a lower time to kill has a myriad of advantages, and making a game more strategically orientated than mechanical isn't necessarily bad.

Actually guys. Is Drydock available in Bounty Hunt? I've literally never played it.

It is, there are maps and gametype combinations I've never played also. I haven't played Bounty Hunt on Homestead, Complex or Crash Site (except in the beta). I've never played CTF on Blackwater Canal, Homestead, Boomtown, Eden or Drydock. I think it's because I'm playing the mixtape playlist, the rotation is messed up. I've played around 800 matches and never played these combinations? There's a few others I haven't played either but the full rotation seems to come up in the dedicated playlist.

Calderc

Hemlock and Tone

If you're playing Bounty Hunt, the meta is to Nuclear on the Bounty Titans (you have to be doomed though so self-damage if you need to).

----

I've played BH on it once. Literally never had a single BH game on Crash Site though.

FStop7

Banned
The silliest thing about roof and window camping in Attrition is that it doesn't work! If it were an effective strategy then I'd get why people do it and I would (grudgingly) accept it even though it's contrary to the nature of the game. But, it's not effective. At all. Out of ~50 matches played this weekend I'd say at least half of the time the other team would open with camping on roofs. And out of those only twice did they win. The rest of the time it goes one of two ways: the camping team jumps out to an early lead but as soon as titans start coming down the momentum reverses and the mobile team surges ahead to win. Or, a higher skilled and better coordinated mobile team immediately puts the screws to the camping team and takes a big lead, drops 3 titans before the campers get their first, and then it's a complete beatdown. In either scenario the camping team loses. It's a bad strategy.

I haven't seen a real relationship with campers and gear. I save and skim pretty much every match I play for that stuff. I've seen a pretty standard mix of pilot types and guns. Though I will say the worst of them are A-walls who deploy in windows. They may as well just shoot themselves and save the other team the hassle considering how ridiculously bright and obvious they are.

One way to force the issue and try to break players of their camping habit would be to increase the points value of minions or to add more minions. In either case it would force campers to come out and attack otherwise the opposing team will simply feed on minions, get quick titans, and win big.

E92 M3

Fine.

When I feel completely disrespected as a player and customer, my tone and language gets disrespectful.

Im out, anyway.

We can try. :)

I would like to know what people would want from it. Would people want casuals just for fun, or pseudo competitive stuff, like we could have a 3 vs 3 LTS tournament, or even just a single match with randomised teams. We could do CTF, bounty hunt, whatever people would like.

There's quite a few people complaining that they don't have people to play with, that Titangaf, or the networks aren't very active. We should do something to bring people together, get them playing together, and strengthen the community. I don't think the relatively crappy (but well intended) network system is good enough.

I get your perspective but he was just using it as a metaphor. In the same way people call things cancerous, and things like that. It typically intends no disrespect to those with or affected by the condition.

It just hit way too close to home.

That's so different dude. A gust of wind can hit you in COD and kill you. It's a different game. You can't have have weapons or abilities that promote camping in a game that differentiates itself with MOBILITY.

I know it's a different game, but I always appreciated the fact there wasn't a meta. I don't want TF2 to have DOMINANT meta.

All things considered, I am enjoying the fuck out of this game. I play on 2 consoles now if that says anything.

SwolBro

Banned
Is/was CTF popular in TF1?

Also, CTF is not usually that popular in most games is it?
Considering the average population in the last year of Titanfall 1 was about 5k tops CTF was amongst the 3 most popular modes (excluding frontier defense because that was PVE) It was

1. Attrition
  2. CTF
  3. LTS
(where LTS and CTF traded popularity depending on time of day)

Yes, attrition was the only mode to consistently be at 1k+ but CTF is where ALL the good players stayed. A really good attrition player could walk into CTF and get embarrassed. It's the only mode where you'd fine a majority of the players playing it like actual titanfall, meaning parkouring constantly, bunnyhopping, stafe jumping, stim ejecting, etc.

And Rayme since you're around please hear me out. CTF needs changes. As it is right now it's a bit broken, a bit lame. Can you PLEASE bring some of these suggestions to the floor

1. Games ending in 3 caps are not very fun. Even if you're down by 3 you can come back. It happened all the time in Titanfall 1.
  2. As of right now CTF feels really empty. A match on complex can feel like a barren wasteland. For pub matches it wouldn't be a bad idea to reintroduce a.i maybe. Having the grunts can help teams get balanced because if they can't kill pilots quick enough or if they're pinned down by a titan they can at least farm grunts to drop titans quicker. This balances out pub matches a lot. You could also maybe consider upping it to 6v6 if grunts aren't an option. (Introducing a new "kill grunts for faster titan build" would have been a useful boost by the way.)
  3. Spawn after death time is too slow. I commend you guys for trying to bring it to a competitive level but it doesn't work out in this game, especially for pubs. Stim is too fast, killing 2 or 3 players guarantees you a cap. You take the flag, stim in the opposite direction of the other alive players and it's over. The maps are also not very friendly to this type of set up. In titanfall 1 on a map like colony or smugglers cove you could still spawn after a death and get to the choke point before a flag runner caps, even with the delayed respawn times in tourny play. It was incredibly exciting denying flag caps like that.

These fixes will go a long way in making it a better mode. Trust me =)

I think Respawn made the right decisions with TF2, perhaps a little too far in that direction (I hate turrets and I think the time to kill adjustments go too far when amped damage and weapons that can one-burst you are considered) but I'm also confident that they'll be making progressive improvements to the games balance to create the ideal balance between the two styles. I don't expect them to universally change the TTK back to TF1's standards, but tweaking some of the nonsense (Hemlock, Devotion, Amped Weapons, G2) would make me very happy.
I commend your thought out post. It was good. I don't know if i agree with all of it though. My FPS philosophy has always been about leaving the skill ceiling open so players that put enough time in a game can continue to get better. I'm all ok for the curve to be a bit flat or having a steady progression in the beginning but eventually there should be a sky rocketing upward slope. I don't see it here in this game. there's definitely a skill ceiling but no where close to that of Titanfall 1. Reasons being:

• Game mechanics-Things like sharpness of movement, strafing maneuvers all being toned down (this goes for both Pilot and Titan play) Plus the ability to snap aim to target (which i don't really have a problem with but it does help a lot for people with lower twitch and aim ability)
  • Guns-Having too much range, too much power, and no uniqueness to firing them. 201 is the best example of this. Original carbine you had to pulse those first three shots no matter how close you were most of the time, now you can practically hold the trigger down.
  • Titans- Titans are too slow. You get stuck in a bad situation you're pretty much fucked. You get ganged up by more than 1 titan you're fucked. The titans don't move like they did before, theyre more grounded. They feel like big junks of metal rather than crazy fast killing machines. Titans are more methodical in their play styles, now in some modes this is good (LTS) in others (attrition) i feel like it kind of stinks. This is why legion and tone are so damn deadly. A buff to ronin and for sure northstars dash meters would do wonders.
  • Maps- the maps hurt the overall skill ceiling as well. But we've all beaten this horse too death. Hopefully the next batch will be better.

Titanfall 2 definitely leans more towards COD than the first game did. I think this is a mistake as a whole. Deep gameplay is why people stick around longer, and COD seems to be on it's way out anyway. But i get the whole barrier to entry thing, don't wanna scare away newcomers and all. I think there's ways around that though like proper matchmaking for lower level players, for one. I like that COD does space out their player pools a bit. It's a hard balance to try and achieve but something that should be attempted (given that the player base is there of course).

A novel idea that was suggested (not sure if it was mine or if i took it from someone) was having a competitive mixed playlist give credit to unlock items. It'd function just like normal credit but it'd be maybe 2 times more? or there to unlock rare stuff? Win/lose you'd still get credit but more so if you won so people would play it a bit more sweaty, more organized, and it could be totally done with sbmm and no one would get mad? eh?

Anyways, tweaking (hemlok, devotion, g2a, turrets) and fixing UI will go a long long way in making the game that much better. So, that's a good thing. Lets hope they do it all, and do it soon.

EDIT:
As for playing the original Titanfall, I did play it, just not enough to say I really got into it. I didn't own it myself. I don't need to have played it extensively to argue the merits of the shorter time to kill however. An interesting ad hominem nevertheless.
That does change things a bit about your views on things lol if you played it a lot, and got really good, you'd understand a bit more at least about what i'm striving for lol.

It might be a bad way to play something like Attrition but when you learn to predict spawns that stops being so. I can hop towards the other side of the field, kill the enemy team and then anticipate their respawn point, most of the time. Pilot vs pilot is valuable in this regard, because it shows you the enemy spawn points and those also transfer to attrition.

I think similar about CTF too, I saw you say before that if you play CTF as a runner that means you're going to lower your KDR. I don't think so personally. As a runner I push their base first, and oftne, I get my kills first and get the Titan out first. If I grab the flag I run it back, in pubs it's not anywhere near as unsafe as it would be in competitive matches, if my team mate caps the flag then I use my Titan, or my pilot to hold the enemy off.

You can say he doesn't help his team, getting 60 kills in a match and not helping with the objective, but his presence was oppressive and clearly made it much much more difficult for the opposing team. I haven't had much experience in competitive matches since long-past Call of Duty, but it's always important to ignore the scoreboard and perform what you think is the best play (as an individual and as a team), even if it doesn't feed into the score.

The best example of this is in amped hardpoint. It's far far better to kill the opposing team before they are able to contest B, ambushing them on their way, rather than on the point itself, yet the game doesn't reward you for these kills. It reminds me of Rocket League, points for saving a ball from goal, extra points for saving it on the goal line, but if you'd been preemptive with your defense you'd not have needed that risky save in the first place. A preemptive block is more valuable than a last second save, yet the latter is rewarded above the former. It's the same on Titanfalls amped hardpoint, and in my opinion, to an extent in Bounty Hunt too.

It is, there are maps and gametype combinations I've never played also. I haven't played Bounty Hunt on Homestead, Complex or Crash Site (except in the beta). I've never played CTF on Blackwater Canal, Homestead, Boomtown, Eden or Drydock. I think it's because I'm playing the mixtape playlist, the rotation is messed up. I've played around 800 matches and never played these combinations? There's a few others I haven't played either but the full rotation seems to come up in the dedicated playlist.
Yeah, i've seen you do this is pubs and it helps a ton. The rest of us might be top of the scoreboard in CTF or AHardpoint but we often have little resistance. It's easy for us to rack up captures when there is no enemies around, thanks to your 40 kills. Similarily to how we held that team to 16 points in Hardppint doing the same thing. What you do is huge. Since all we get in ctf is complex, it's even easier

Makikou

Bounty Hunt is the same. I push forward and because my team occupy mid and the area near where we originally spawned, I know they will be spawning where they first started. It won't flip unless I actually enter their spawn, and if I was playing with a coordinated team, we could keep it this way for the entire game..

I was playing attrition yesterday and a gen 9 dude did this.

I was about *this* close to uninstalling the game and selling my copy. The most frustrating thing in ages. We could not exit spawn, locked in the open side of Drydock. 1-2 pilot sentries on the building roof + this one guy just destroying everyone on top of the containers.. Absolute bullshit. It's completely fucked up the game even matches players with under 100 games with people who are Regeneration 9.

Jito

Banned
Hemlock and Tone

----

Or they can just anything and still do really well? I'm personally using volt with scorch and have never touched nuclear eject, still place top most matches. Tone is OP but you guys really over state it, a good player in any other titan will beat it.

Izuna

Banned
Or they can just anything and still do really well? I'm personally using volt with scorch and have never touched nuclear eject, still place top most matches. Tone is OP but you guys really over state it, a good player in any other titan will beat it.

Sure, same here, I use Northstar. Doesn't stop the fact that Tone is "the best" Titan. The person asked for tips... I don't understand the point of your comment.

Edit:

You know what? Forget it.

I'm sick of every post being met with a contrarian for the fucking sake of it.

Seriously, literally every time I feel like posting either an impression, or a comparison, it's met with "oh well you know, I can spawn trap so derp". So what?

It's pointless, I'm leaving clear footnotes in posts to say that they're just preferences.

It's toxic as fuck, and honestly this OT is unfun to post in. I'll give the files for OT2 in a bit but I'm honestly just done.

Top Bottom