• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Titanfall 2 is turning out to be the return to form that I hoped Titanfall 1 would be in terms of the key staff that came to the studio from Infinity Ward. Getting feelings of hype about on the same level of excitement I had for the original MW when it came out (I was a fan of COD1 and COD2 before it came out, so the studio already had rapport for me).

Titanfall 1 wasn't bad, but it felt undercooked overall. I think it was pretty commonly cited as people exited the game that the level of variety on offer was a bit underwhelming, despite having a good core. Titanfall 2 not only has that single player campaign a lot of us hoped for, but I thought the tech tests were fine and additional details surfacing make me think there's a lot more depth under the hood to explore and exploit in the multiplayer.

Can't wait to get my copy on Friday.

Weird. The way everyone was talking, I thought Titanfall 2 was released on PC.

Origin claims otherwise.

EDIT: Ah, VPN shenanigans

Serious question, did Respawn heavily alter the game after the shitshow that was the initial public tech test? I played maybe three matches and just couldn't see any scenario where I was going to buy the game if it shipped that way.

I loved Titanfall 1 and I might just get this anyway for SP but I'll go in day one if they made good changes to the gameplay after the tech test.

How do you mean? I use my Elite controller for nearly all games on PS4 and have never had an issue.

Using adapters on the Pro or Slim. Slight variances and such.
Just stating there could be doesn't necessarily mean there will be :)

Serious question, did Respawn heavily alter the game after the shitshow that was the initial public tech test? I played maybe three matches and just couldn't see any scenario where I was going to buy the game if it shipped that way.

I loved Titanfall 1 and I might just get this anyway for SP but I'll go in day one if they made good changes to the gameplay after the tech test.

What issues did you have with the Tech Test?

Using adapters on the Pro or Slim. Slight variances and such.
Just stating there could be doesn't necessarily mean there will be :)

What issues did you have with the Tech Test?

Mainly how low time to kill was, but also how generous the hit detection was. There were too many times where I know I wasn't close enough to hitting someone but was still getting rewarded with kills. Felt extremely unsatisfying coming from T1. Movement felt really restricted compared to T1 too unless I used the grapple hook, but even then it just felt really off.

Will the Ion and Scorch Prime chassis allow for customizations? Should, right?

Mainly how low time to kill was, but also how generous the hit detection was. There were too many times where I know I wasn't close enough to hitting someone but was still getting rewarded with kills. Felt extremely unsatisfying coming from T1. Movement felt really restricted compared to T1 too unless I used the grapple hook, but even then it just felt really off.

I haven't read anything about adjusting the TTK or hit detection from the devs.

Restricted? As in level design? Doesn't seem to have changed from the maps I've seen (4), but we'll see more soon enough. I don't think all of the maps have been shown off? I could be wrong.

Really disappointed they kept in amped weapons. That thing should be on a timer. I hate TTK modifiers like that.

Even though TTK is fairy fast, I think there is just enough time to dodge and use abilities to get out of harms way, and that to me is really cool. 1v1 engagements that have you zipping around chasing players sounds super fun, as opposed to the typical "get shot from behind" stuff.

SwolBro

Banned
OP, should place a disclaimer saying that things from the tech test have been tweaked and adjusted!!!

As for the title- it's not a bad title. i got the joke but i can see how most people won't.

Qwyjibo

I have a craving for a multiplayer FPS and Titanfall 2 on PC is my choice this fall. I've never liked the Battlefield series, I haven't palyed a CoD game since Black Ops 2 (which I hated), and I enjoyed the core mechanics of Titanfall despite its lack of modes.

Lunar15

OP, should place a disclaimer saying that things from the tech test have been tweaked and adjusted!!!

As for the title- it's not a bad title. i got the joke but i can see how most people won't.

I have a strong feeling that a decent amount of people who disliked the tech test still won't like the main game, even with tweaks. They fundamentally changed what the game is, and while that is not inherently bad and will be loved by a wide group of people (if not wider than the first), it's a pretty big turnoff for someone like myself. I'm not totally un-sold, but it's a hard "wait-and-see".

Here's hoping there's some bones in the DLC, like with Angel City.

krpiper

So I haven't followed things a ton but they changed it back to Titans are on a "timer" system vs a "perk" type of Titan drop?

If so I want to pull the trigger...but I should be responsible :/

Will the Ion and Scorch Prime chassis allow for customizations? Should, right?

I haven't read anything about adjusting the TTK or hit detection from the devs.

Restricted? As in level design? Doesn't seem to have changed from the maps I've seen (4), but we'll see more soon enough. I don't think all of the maps have been shown off? I could be wrong.

That's disappointing. I remember seeing something about looking into altering amped weapons, but that was never the problem for me. I felt it the very first time I shot a gun when I started the game. Titanfall 1 shooting felt somewhere between say Cod4/Halo levels of time to kill; not long if you're on target, but enough to usually get away or make someone miss a few shots. The tech test for 2 felt like straight up MW2 levels of insta-kill to me, which isn't what I want out of Titanfall.

By restricted I just mean the actual movement felt more rigid compared to 1. 1 was so flowing and freeing compared to most non-arena FPS games. 2 it just felt like I was so much clunkier. To be fair with this one, I didn't play much of any MP FPS between T1 and T2, so it could just be that, but the movement just wasn't clicking for me. T1 movement clicked from the moment I started playing.

So I haven't followed things a ton but they changed it back to Titans are on a "timer" system vs a "perk" type of Titan drop?

Passive charge was added back in tech test week 2.

Also regarding ttk, most weapons actually have ~0.4s time to kill, seems short right? In context: recent cod games is 0.1-0.2s, halo 5 is 0.8-1s, but R2 and H5 have way higher effective ttk due to the mobility.

Is there a list anywhere of exactly what they've tweaked and adjusted?

There's a gradual timer now but killing and playing the objective are the quickest way to earn your Titan.

SwolBro

Banned
I have a strong feeling that a decent amount of people who disliked the tech test still won't like the main game, even with tweaks. They fundamentally changed what the game is, and while that is not inherently bad and will be loved by a wide group of people (if not wider than the first), it's a pretty big turnoff for someone like myself. I'm not totally un-sold, but it's a hard "wait-and-see".

Here's hoping there's some bones in the DLC, like with Angel City.

Which would be what?

Lunar15

Which would be what?

Map design, movement, pace, flow, how you tackle situations, how you get across the map, even the feel of the game being part of a large battle. It's all changed, really. It honestly felt like I was playing an entirely different game, and that was intentional. The first game did not have the legs they wanted, so they went back to the drawing board and produced something different. That's fine, it's going to win over a different audience, and I'm all for that. However, I just wasn't really grabbed by what they put out, and it became clear by the second tech test that it had nothing to do with something tweakable, it's just plain design theory and game direction.

It could absolutely end up that the direction they went in really is something I want, and I just missed all of it in the tech test. However, I strongly doubt that. I've watched every single Frothy video, and I'm still just not feeling it.

SwolBro

Banned
It could absolutely end up that the direction they went in really is something I want, and I just missed all of it in the tech test. However, I strongly doubt that. I've watched every single Frothy video, and I'm still just not feeling it.

That's crazy. I watch frothy's videos and i see a bunch of stuff they changed for the better. We'll see.

Fuck. People comparing this campaign to Portal and Vanquish are getting me too hyped.
I haven't played the latter, so I can't comment, but TF2's campaign isn't afraid to do things for one level and then throw them away and it's a very good thing. I recently replayed MW:R's campaign and found that I could only play 2 levels in a row before getting bored. Not the case here, at all - it's very good at keeping things fresh.

Map design, movement, pace, flow, how you tackle situations, how you get across the map, even the feel of the game being part of a large battle. It's all changed, really. It honestly felt like I was playing an entirely different game, and that was intentional. The first game did not have the legs they wanted, so they went back to the drawing board and produced something different. That's fine, it's going to win over a different audience, and I'm all for that. However, I just wasn't really grabbed by what they put out, and it became clear by the second tech test that it had nothing to do with something tweakable, it's just plain design theory and game direction.

Movement, pace, flow, pilot encounter, traversal are now similar if not better than R1. The battleground chatter, massive number of grunts in attrition are back as well. Don't judge them by the tech test. Just watch Frothy and Gamesager's recent videos to see how different it is.

Crossfire245

Neo Member
Added myself to the spreadsheet for Xbox One! Admittedly, a lot of my friends have either gone away from Xbox or barely play, so looking forward to making some Titanfall 2 friends!

Chumley

Banned
Getting "Error: the VC++ runtime redistributable package was not installed successfully. setup cannot continue (1601)" every time I try to install the pre-load on PC. Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it?

That's disappointing. I remember seeing something about looking into altering amped weapons, but that was never the problem for me. I felt it the very first time I shot a gun when I started the game. Titanfall 1 shooting felt somewhere between say Cod4/Halo levels of time to kill; not long if you're on target, but enough to usually get away or make someone miss a few shots. The tech test for 2 felt like straight up MW2 levels of insta-kill to me, which isn't what I want out of Titanfall.

By restricted I just mean the actual movement felt more rigid compared to 1. 1 was so flowing and freeing compared to most non-arena FPS games. 2 it just felt like I was so much clunkier. To be fair with this one, I didn't play much of any MP FPS between T1 and T2, so it could just be that, but the movement just wasn't clicking for me. T1 movement clicked from the moment I started playing.

Ah, okay.

Looking at the Tech Test patch notes they were still balancing individual weapons, but I don't believe there has been an update on that front. Maybe someone who acquired the game early could shed some light?

Valid criticisms that I also share. Im hoping the maps they offer post launch are closer to what I enjoyed in TF1.

A bit slower I believe but after the change was made in the tech test, I was averaging three Titans per game which is about the same as R1.

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

Very little in there that makes me feel like I'm going to like it nearly as much as I loved 1. I think I'm going to pick it up day one anyway though... These Vanquish SP comparisons are too much to ignore.

I'll just have to go in with an open mind on MP and NOT expect it to play like 1.5 I guess...

-Mikey-

Making a stop to pick up wings from bdubs, a vat of game fuel from Wal-Mart and a case of Wet Ones to get ready for tomorrow night!!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really disappointed they kept in amped weapons. That thing should be on a timer. I hate TTK modifiers like that.

Even though TTK is fairy fast, I think there is just enough time to dodge and use abilities to get out of harms way, and that to me is really cool. 1v1 engagements that have you zipping around chasing players sounds super fun, as opposed to the typical "get shot from behind" stuff.

Yeah, I really wish they axed this. I actually didn't realize it lasted UNTIL DEATH either which is nutty, I figured in the beta it was on some sort of timer but I couldn't tell how long it lasted so I never knew when to use it.

I can't imagine any other option there making the cut over amping your primary.

Izuna

Banned
Is SOR about? He's running the Xbox Club rn (granted, it's preview member only) but it'd be dope if he went around inviting all of us 'Boners to TitanfallGAF Club. I don't dare to make a new one.

Mupod

well I bought it on PC thanks to Jeff Gerstmann. Would be nice if there's SLI support.

I know nothing about this game although I did play a lot of the titanfall 1 beta. I was surprised how well mechwarrior/armored core experience seemed to pay off when controlling the mech and when I got my titan I generally dominated. From what I understand this will be somewhat harder in 2.

Quick look at the 6 in the game and Legion stands out to me. I have pretty good tracking in FPSes and I excel with characters like the TF2 heavy/Zarya/etc.

any pc players in asia got this? I'm so afraid of that region dying down and nobody giving a shit cause that's pretty much wwhat happened in tf1.

Grisby

Whew, I remember going to the midnight launch of the original and watching that GS hype video as the line moved through the store. Picked up Dark Souls 2 and had a damn good couple of weeks of gaming.

Hard to believe that we're at the sequel already.
WjPlYPI.gif
Way too many. Should have spread them out more, :(
So good.

Top Bottom