• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLoU Remasted Pre-PS5 patch destroys loading screens on PS4

Grinchy

Banned
They need to get on Capcom's ass to do this for Monster Hunter. That game takes literal minutes to load to and from every fucking quest.

clintar

This kind of BS is one reason i think sony is holding back info about the ps5........... dont give me the "building hype crap" either. something aint right.
This BS, giving us amazingly improved load times (those jerks), is obviously why Sony doesn't want to give info about their upcoming product. I mean it makes sense. Why would they want to promote that machine? They would obviously rather improve the experience of their existing users so they don't have to pay for the expensive upgrade they want everyone to buy. Those bastards.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
omg who gives a fuck about loading times in that game they are so well hidden.

give me 60fps you weaklings!

BigLee74

Nice.

Just goes to show that some clever optimisation can make big improvements to a game.

Having said that, it would have been more interesting seeing what the PS5 load time would have been on an unpatched version. Maybe would have put a stop to all the 'everything loads in under 2 seconds' nonsense that has been getting peddled around here for weeks?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Nice.

Just goes to show that some clever optimisation can make big improvements to a game.

Having said that, it would have been more interesting seeing what the PS5 load time would have been on an unpatched version. Maybe would have put a stop to all the 'everything loads in under 2 seconds' nonsense that has been getting peddled around here for weeks?
What would the unpatched version have to do with load times on the PS5? It's not like they are going to release that version on the console. Regardless of how they achieve "2 seconds" load times they achieve them. This does nothing to discount that if they indeed have load times that fast. Seems you are just looking for something.

Moses85

Wow! I will cancel my PS5 Pre-Order right now.

giphy.gif

It
Until Dawn also got a patch and now has zero load times ?

So does that means devs were lazy or is new tech getting implemented ?

It means Sucker Punch has elevated to absolute God status with Ghosts of Tsushima when they learned a way to compress 200m X 200m tiles into 2mb's.

When they learned how to do just that, I'm sure they shared the technology that is now being applied to across many games for the PS4.

My opinion and belief, at least.

Because seriously, I'm consistently amazed by how they pulled that off on a open world game with 7 - 8 year old hardware.

gamer82

i need to see days gone, the loading screens on that are horrific and i stopped playing it very early into the game :-( so hopefully they sort it out on ps5 so i can play it after last of us 2.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wonderful reading comprehension, as always. You're so worried about every possible positive PlayStation news, you can't slow down enough to actually read before responding.

Well I admitted I didn't read the link. Or the tweet. I only saw the video a bit.

Also what should I be worried about? 🤔

So its not the SSD doing the work? Its devs finally optimizing their code?

Why didn't they do this 2 years ago?

2 years ago this "technology" wasn't disposable nor not completely understood.
Must be a combination of the new SO plus this Patch that changes the way the system decompress and loads the assets.
It's great part of the reason why the new machines load so much faster than current PCs with very fast SSDs. The way the files are stored and accesses is different. File storage got smarter than before, things are chancing in this area across the industry: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15959/nvme-zoned-namespaces-explained

FunkMiller

You think this is good?

Next week they’re releasing information on how Crash 1 on Playstation now loads the next level in eight seconds before you finish the last one.

This causes a rip in the fabric of spacetime to an alternate dimension where Halo Infinite runs at 8k 240FPS and Stone Cold Steve Austin is President.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nice hyperbole fan boy. "Loading screens are virtually none exist" yet everything takes between 13 and 18 seconds.
Don't get me wrong its a fantastic improvement but not worth blowing your wad over.
Damn good on em though for taking the time to optimize a title so old.

It is a 6x loading times improvement... it went to 14’’ from 1’30’... and on a PS4 HDD... now think of Boost Mode on PS5... ;).

yurinka

Cerny Sauce ? Quality games get improvements win.

Mark Cerny to sell gamer bath tub water with extra sauce:
uduEMWj.jpg

It is a 6x loading times improvement... it went to 14’’ from 1’30’... and on a PS4 HDD... now think of Boost Mode on PS5... ;).
Negative loading times, it will stop loading before starting. Like a time machine :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Butch_0451

That's what you get when a bunch of desperate programmers desperately want to keep their jobs in a desperate time, now go fix TLoU:II thanks.

makaveli60

It's not that difficult to guess what happened. Sony boasts 2 seconds loading with PS5 but that just won't happen magically because they use an SSD. Programmers have to work for that to be achieved so PS4 also benefits.

-Arcadia-

Banned
WTF at Until Dawn. Getting rid of load times altogether is completely, off-the-wall, message board fan-fiction nuts, but here we are.

Like others, my best guess is that Sony’s intense study of storage and loading, even if there’s no dedicated hardware in the PS4, has passed along some benefits.

Kokoloko85

TLOU2 and GOT are PS4 games dude, not PS5. Are you even reading what are you talking?

Yes but those PS4 games came out in 2020, not 2013 on a console that is having its successor coming out in less than a month.

Sucker Punch announced that GOT is getting an upgrade for the PS5, 60fps. Alot more relevant today than a PS3 game getting an upgrade on a PS4 which is getting replaced by the PS5. Id rather have PS5 BC news

Last edited:

Duchess

I remember when I played TLOU on the PS3 and the load times were hideous. It was like it was reinstalling the entire game each time it was booted up.

VulcanRaven

Great news but I kind of liked the long loading screen when starting a new game. You could listen the music and see the spores in the air.

Last edited:

Fake

Yes but those PS4 games came out in 2020, not 2013 on a console that is having its successor coming out in less than a month.

Sucker Punch announced that GOT is getting an upgrade for the PS5, 60fps. Alot more relevant today than a PS3 game getting an upgrade on a PS4 which is getting replaced by the PS5. Id rather have PS5 BC news

You already answer your question. Sony cannot take advance anymore of crunching after TLOUS2 case, so those things started to take time again. ND are busy making the multiplayer I believe and SP are busy making the content for GoT.

Lets just say they'll start for the most easy/most popular until the heavy ones.

Dzab

You already answer your question. Sony cannot take advance anymore of crunching after TLOUS2 case, so those things started to take time again. ND are busy making the multiplayer I believe and SP are busy making the content for GoT.

Lets just say they'll start for the most easy/most popular until the heavy ones.

What lol. You're missing the point entirely. GoT came out in 2020 on PS4 and has already been confirmed to get a 60fps upgrade for PS5, and they're still adding other content and whatever else -- doing a great job and everyone's excited for it, myself included.

Naughty Dog, however, is making loading faster for a PS3 game remastered on PS4... (which is still extremely impressive)

I feel like if they just announce a TLOU2 60fps patch for PS5 or something, it would be a far better move and get a lot of people hyped up. (especially since they probably developed it with the PS5 in mind already)

People have already said the lack of talk about true PS4 bc/boost on PS5 has been a problem so it seems weird that this is what comes up instead.

Last edited:

Fake

What lol. You're missing the point entirely. GoT came out in 2020 on PS4 and has already been confirmed to get a 60fps upgrade for PS5, and they're still adding other content and whatever else -- doing a great job and everyone's excited for it, myself included.

Naughty Dog, however, is making loading faster for a PS3 game remastered on PS4... (which is still extremely impressive)

I feel like if they just announce a TLOU2 60fps patch for PS5 or something, it would be a far better move and get a lot of people hyped up. (especially since they probably developed it with the PS5 in mind already)

People have already said the lack of talk about true PS4 bc/boost on PS5 has been a problem so it seems weird that this is what comes up instead.

GoT will have a minor update to 'unlock' the framerate and probably the 60 fps will be the famouns 'brute force' used when PC get bumps. Thats don't mean GoT will get a 'true' PS5 version like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk.
Keep in mind that running the game at 60fps not mean the game 'receive' the proper PS5 version.

Dude, getting a PS5 version is more than just an update. They need to rework on the game to take full advantage of the PS5, not only just boosting the game because of the PS4 x PS5 specs.

Until ND and SP are free to work on their game on the PS5, none of those updates will get a real decent boost. There are more beyond fps. Resolution, texture, loading times, add ray tracing, lod, AA, etc...

I believe thats why they started with TLOUS. Is already an old game, so take less time than the recent PS4 games that really take advance of PS4 custom hardware.

Last edited:

Thief1987

These are impressive improvements. What is the patch version for Until Dawn?
Until Dawn doesn't get any patches since 2015, this "instant loading" in the tweet was on PS4 Pro from the beginning.

For the TLOU i also think that their decompression was singlethreaded, ported straight from ps3 version, and now they add proper multithreading to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom