• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady beats NFL in 'Deflategate' court case, league's 4-game suspension nullified

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Goodell should just suspend him for character issues now. I can't believe the government stuck its nose into the internal workings of a private organization like this! That's it, I'm going libertarian!
The NFL brought this to federal court. The "private organization" wanted its arbitration ruling affirmed and it blew up in their faces

Brady haters ITT when being taught reason:

not-listening-dumb-and-dumber-o.gif

This...this makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense.

Of course Goodell wants his stars to play and his owners to be happy, but he also needed to at least create a farce of punishing cheating.

He gets both with this outcome.

NFL has been in the news non-stop all off-season, more haters for the Pats, bigger rivalries, etc.

Masterfully executed.

p2535748

People ITT not realizing Goodell is totally fine with this result.

By punishing Brady and the Pats he got to look good in front of everybody pissed about the cheating and now that the court has basically wiped it all away he can throw up his hands and be like "I tried!" while at the same time Brady gets to play and Goodell got to look tough on cheaters.

Yeah, this is generally true.

However, what the NFL is not fine with here is that the judge essentially threw out their "We can do whatever the fuck we want because of article 46" argument. That's the article that says they can punish people for "conduct detrimental", and the NFL was argued that because of that article, they can punish people for pretty much anything they want. Throwing that out, by saying that players need prior notice of potential punishment, is not going to make the NFL happy.

yes it is like that. if you're going to comment on something you should actually know what you're talking about. the phone was a red herring. the NFL had access to everything they could have ever needed.

Well fucking forgive me for trying to better myself and asking questions to gain more knowledge.

yes it is like that. if you're going to comment on something you should actually know what you're talking about. the phone was a red herring. the NFL had access to everything they could have ever needed.

neogaf.gif

]I haven't been following this[/B], but I thought it was very clear that he was caught cheating?

y u do dis?

Well fucking forgive me for trying to better myself and asking questions to gain more knowledge.

Why don't you try not being butthurt about it and maybe next time google a thing or two? Why should the onus of your knowledge be on the community with which you wish to participate?

Sheroking

This is really a win-win, we can still talk about what a clown Godell is, as well as the Pats being cheating cheaters who cheat their way to Super Bowl wins

Yeah, those deflated balls are the absolute reason they won by 5 touchdowns and a field goal. They totally wouldn't have won that game without slightly deflated footballs.

GhaleonEB

I'm not a fan of the Pats by any stretch, but the case against Brady was always very shaky at best. Reading up on the actual evidence (or rather, lack thereof) in the last thread made it pretty clear the suspension was an overreach, so I kind of expected this outcome, and am glad to see it come through.

Pats should just flat out start bugging the opposing team's locker room and headsets since they are clearly above the rules.

Scumbag, cheating-ass team. I hope the other teams put a hit out on Brady and snap him in half week one. Oh wait I forgot Brady is not allowed to be touched, against the NFL rules.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This thread happening at the same time as the "Worst fanbases" thread is a true gift of Gaf serendipity.

Also ITT people who have not followed the case at all over the past 6 months making knee jerk reactions about how much the Patriots were cheating. I highly suggest reading up on the evidence in this case.
Brady destroying his phone and then lying about it being something he always does is a clear admission of guilt. Judge should not be meddling in case covered by cba. In factbrady was one of the parties that dropped the antitrust lawsuit when new cba giving goodell these powers was signed.

E92 M3

Yeah, those deflated balls are the absolute reason they won by 5 touchdowns and a field goal. They totally wouldn't have won that game without slightly deflated footballs.

Exactly, people just want to make excuses. Patriotis are just straight up better.

Dicer

Banned
Pats should just flat out start bugging the opposing team's locker room and headsets since they are clearly above the rules.

Scumbag, cheating-ass team. I hope the other teams put a hit out on Brady and snap him in half week one. Oh wait I forgot Brady is not allowed to be touched, against the NFL rules.

So, you hate the outcome and want Brady dead? Real class right there...

I haven't been following this, but I thought it was very clear that he was caught cheating?

That's what the NFL wanted the court of public opinion to think and it worked. However, the actual events have been anything but clear and the fact that the Patriots did nothing wrong is "more probable than not."

Brady destroying his phone and then lying about it being something he always does is a clear admission of guilt. Judge should not be meddling in case covered by cba. In factbrady was one of the parties that dropped the antitrust lawsuit when new cba giving goodell these powers was signed.

He never lied about it. Read up on the deposition for what actually transpired.

Sanjuro

Makes perfect sense.

Of course Goodell wants his stars to play and his owners to be happy, but he also needed to at least create a farce of punishing cheating.

He gets both with this outcome.

NFL has been in the news non-stop all off-season, more haters for the Pats, bigger rivalries, etc.

Masterfully executed.

Yes. Owners are absolutely thrilled right now. Players. The NFL. Fans. Makes PERFECT sense.

Goodell the Genius.

Goonius.

I haven't been following this, but I thought it was very clear that he was caught cheating?

No not at all. NFL had no idea ball pressure changed with temperature before going on this crusade, no hard evidence of tampering, no evidence of Brady asking for anything outside of the rules.

OSHAN

Oh, OK. It's like that.

This is a better response. I'm in the UK, by the way, so we haven't had the same type of coverage I'm guessing this is getting over there so I'm sketchy on a few details.

Did the phone records show what he said/text? Or was it just a list of numbers?

They showed who he texted, not what was texted, but the texts matched up with the staff in question. So, in a sense, they knew what he texted because they had the information from the recipients' phones. He had other texts to people outside the organization, and they weren't able to read those texts.

No not at all. NFL had no idea ball pressure changed with temperature before going on this crusade, no hard evidence of tampering, no evidence of Brady asking for anything outside of the rules.

I just remember something about not-so-cryptic text messages between Brady and the ball boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom