• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Chick (GFW) Reviews Hellgate: London

Failgate: loldon
6ywywzd.png

Akia

bigdaddygamebot said:
Maybe Flagship will square their shit away and make the game they're capable of delivering.

I think they're capable. It's just that their used to having an indefinite amount of time to create their games. It's not like their beta testers didn't warn them. I think this game needed another year or two.

Fair review all around. I usually agree with Tom Chick more often than not, this time is no exception.

I'm heartened to see that the lack of a respec option was mentioned-like so many other things in Hellgate, it boggles the mind how they could have flubbed that they way that they did.

zenbot

Akia said:
It's just that their used to having an indefinite amount of time to create their games.
They have had a long-ass time to get Hellgate right. It's been cooking forever.

lexi

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Fair review all around. I usually agree with Tom Chick more often than not, this time is no exception.

I'm heartened to see that the lack of a respec option was mentioned-like so many other things in Hellgate, it boggles the mind how they could have flubbed that they way that they did.

I'm sure that it's been mentioned numerous times that this was an intentional design decision. Not one that I agree with, but it's not like it can really be seen as a 'flaw'.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
zenbot said:
They have had a long-ass time to get Hellgate right. It's been cooking forever.

Aye. It's certainly been several years. They were founded back in 2003 and the game was announced in early 2005. That's at least three years.

Bill Roper and crew should have never left Blizzard. What a sad state of affairs this has been. =(

Slavik81

lockii said:
I'm sure that it's been mentioned numerous times that this was an intentional design decision. Not one that I agree with, but it's not like it can really be seen as a 'flaw'.
It doesn't have to be unintentional to be a flaw. Plenty of problems in games are purposeful design decisions that turn out to be bad choices.

probune

darkressurection said:
I must be in the minority but I am loving Hellgate. I am only playing single player though so I am not getting some of the online glitches.

The single player, for me, has just as many bugs as in multiplayer. I haven't played since it got patched though so maybe it took care of the gamekilling crashes and bugs that wouldn't let me finish quests.

Akia

ZealousD said:
Bill Roper and crew should have never left Blizzard. What a sad state of affairs this has been. =(

I agree. They could've been working on the Hellgate idea as Diablo 3 but with Blizzard employees as play testers. Which would translate into all those not-so-hot design choices being left at the drawing board.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
K0NY said:
Nah, I dealt with him and his buddies at the forum he runs. His lack of interpersonal skills and bias against Sony rubbed me the wrong way...sorry to derail.

:lol

Oh my. Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug!

I've been enjoying Hellgate to some degree despite its multitude of problems, but I can't find anything in Chick's review to disagree with.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Great review, a real shame about this game though.

I, like most, have an itch for an MMO-esque game that isn't WoW or a WoW clone (*cough*LoTRO*cough*) and I was hoping Hellgate would scratch that itch. The demo and subsequent review failfest confirmed that my search will go on.

I think the reason I like Hellgate is that I never played Diablo (which I am sure is probably a superior game) so I don't have and pre concieved thoughts going in, and I am just enjoying the game for what it is.

ThomPayne

darkressurection said:
I think the reason I like Hellgate is that I never played Diablo (which I am sure is probably a superior game) so I don't have and pre concieved thoughts going in, and I am just enjoying the game for what it is.
You go and you buy the D2 battle chest. NOW. You can't regret it.

MC Safety

K0NY said:
Tom Chick's reviews are always about making him look good. The game is just an excuse to write, it seems. But then, I'm biased so pay no attention.

No, I agree. To a point.

Tom is a great writer. But that Hellgate piece is not an excellent review.

I'm not talking about the score, mind you. Chick is very big on tell and not show, here, and I just got the sense he was writing a laundry list of complaints (in an entertaining way) instead of putting said complaints into context.

Take this paragraph:

"But the larger problem is that you just don't get it. Yeah, sure, your character classes are distinct, each its own little game (and an even better game when played in a group -- something you do your best to make difficult). But you don't go far enough with the skills, which are glib, unremarkable, and (due to a ridiculous lack of a re-spec option), a one-way trip down a tree of potentially bad choices."

Now this deserves some explanation, some fleshing out. What are some of the glib, unremarkable skills? How would an RPG or MMO player be slighted by them? I mean, I understand the need to keep things punchy and to roll on to the next witty observation, but take a little bit of time to linger on the details.

I know reviews are sometimes rushed. I know it's hard to capture a lot of ideas within the given word count. But man, I'd rather have a discussion about Hellgate (and damn! I don't even have a PC), than simply a run-down of its bad points.

ThomPayne said:
You go and you buy the D2 battle chest. NOW. You can't regret it.
I know, I should own Diablo :(
Here's a fun fact, my friend was gonna give me D2 and the LoD Expansion 5 years ago and I turned him down. (Let the laughing commence)

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
MC Safety said:
No, I agree. To a point.

Tom is a great writer. But that Hellgate piece is not a very great review.

I'm not talking about the score, mind you. Chick is very big on tell and not show, here, and I just got the sense he was writing a laundry list of complaints (in an entertaining way) instead of putting said complaints into context.

Take this paragraph:

"But the larger problem is that you just don't get it. Yeah, sure, your character classes are distinct, each its own little game (and an even better game when played in a group -- something you do your best to make difficult). But you don't go far enough with the skills, which are glib, unremarkable, and (due to a ridiculous lack of a re-spec option), a one-way trip down a tree of potentially bad choices."

Now this deserves some explanation, some fleshing out. What are some of the glib, unremarkable skills? How would an RPG or MMO player be slighted by them? I mean, I understand the need to keep things punchy and to roll on to the next witty observation, but take a little bit of time to linger on the details.

I know reviews are sometimes rushed. I know it's hard to capture a lot of ideas within the a given word count. But man, I'd rather have a discussion about Hellgate (and damn! I don't even have a PC), than simply a run-down of its bad points.

In Tom's defense, this was a review written for our magazine, with a fixed word count. (Because sadly, in print, we only have so much space cuz we're, like, dying because of this whole "information superhighway" I keep reading about.) So all he can do in a review like this is hit the major points. I'm sure he could easily have gone on for 4000 more words if he was allowed to.

And you can hear us go on about the game at length on this week's Brodeo...

darkressurection said:

For it's time, D2 with the expansion was a far superior game.

Forget Hellgate and all it's problems. Boot up D2 and be a loot-whore in a far more enjoyable brothel...

MC Safety

JeffGreen said:
In Tom's defense, this was a review written for our magazine, with a fixed word count. (Because sadly, in print, we only have so much space cuz we're, like, dying because of this whole "information superhighway" I keep reading about.) So all he can do in a review like this is hit the major points. I'm sure he could easily have gone on for 4000 more words if he was allowed to.

Dear Jeff:

You know I love you, man. And you don't need to defend Tom.

It's really tough to do a comprehensive review. As I said, though, I think it's always better to pick and choose your criticisms and give the argument some weight rather than just breezily list a game's many flaws.

Me

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
K0NY said:
Tom Chick's reviews are always about making him look good. The game is just an excuse to write, it seems. But then, I'm biased so pay no attention.

GAF isn't really the place to vent about getting banned from QT3. I can understand why you're so bitter, since everyone piled on you constantly. But here is not there.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
MC Safety said:
Dear Jeff:

You know I love you, man. And you don't need to defend Tom.

Me

I can't help it. I'm a Jewish dad that way. And all my writers are my kids! I procreate a lot!

No_Style

Joe Molotov said:
Maybe they like it. Some people do.

Could be attributed to this though:

We were huge fans of the first Prince of Persia game so when Ubi came to us and wanted to run ads for the second we said yes. We had no idea they were going to completely fuck it over. So from then on we started demanding playable copies of games before we'd agree to advertising. No matter how early the build we tell the publishers that unless we can see it played in front of us or play it ourselves we won't run ads for it. Obviously a lot can still go wrong during development but we make the best decisions we can. We do not think of the ads you see on our page as ads. They are recommendations and we try extremely hard to insure that anything we put over there is worth your time.

They played it and liked it and hoped it would improve, but it did not.

The stuff Gabe said must have urked some reviewers though. The whole "feeling sorry for reviewers because they rushed through AC instead of enjoying it in spurts.

I enjoyed Tom Chick's letter BTW. More reviews like that please.

lexi

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Maybe they like it. Some people do.

Some people may enjoy it, but the game is just so fundamentally flawed at the moment that the Assassins Creed fallout is minuscule in comparison.

border

JeffGreen said:
He's totally welcome to come back for an afterthoughts session. I'd love that. As long as he doesn't bring a gun. Or O.J.

Consider this his official invite!
I'm not sure if he'll be too keen on coming back after you said that the game was "a pretty big fucking catastrophe" or whatever :D

Wasn't the last big RPG developer on GFW Radio the guy that did Vanguard? Is there GFW Radio curse?

His list of grievances seem reasonable. I'm still enjoying the game a whole lot myself. Haven't had a problem with the game (since about a week ago), at least not a problem flagship didn't intend (omg, passive aggressive). Afraid I'll run out of content soon though, I'm not going to hit the bosses up 50 times each to see if they drop something ultra-rare or anything like that, but I will play through it with all three characters--maybe even delete one and play through again with yet another different class. Will be interesting to see what comes out of the big december update for subscribers, maybe it'll be out by the time I roll round with number four.

JeffGreen said:
In Tom's defense, this was a review written for our magazine, with a fixed word count. (Because sadly, in print, we only have so much space cuz we're, like, dying because of this whole "information superhighway" I keep reading about.)
The magazine seriously need a higher word-count overall though. Too many ads, too few words. Heh, I just want more to read.

lexi

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
Really now. Have they specifically stated or written they hate/don't like the game anywhere? It's possible to like, or actually really enjoy the game even if most people seem to hate it-- ya know.

My point is that's fine for Assassins Creed, I honestly think that whole debacle is a storm in a tea cup. I just find it funny there's the pointing out of a moral high ground right next to a Hellgate: London ad.

I want to like the game, I have been anticipating it for years being a massive D2 fan but I have to admit as good as the game may be, especially given more patch time, it is a product that was shipped a good 8 months too soon and is much worse as a result.

Carl2282

im playing hellgate now and for someone like me who's never really gotten into an mmo or just and persistent online game, I'm having fun with it. I totally agree with Tom's reviews and can totally understand the gripes and how serious they are. I do really hope they can update the game to be something much better regarded, but in all likely hood with this kind of reception.... doesn't look good :/

Very entertaining writing. Additionally, it conveys a relatable genre understanding.

GFW: Slowly embarrassing the rest of 1UP one review at a time.

spootime said:
Generic Fantasy World No. 117

Lol

This sucks, as i really wanted to play an mmo other than wow. Oh well. Did tabula rasa fail too???

Tabula Rasa is actually quite interesting, and hold great promise for the future. Is definitly worth checking out if you're burned out on WoW. Same fps style combat(with timers on attacks so it's still mmo style not ut style) but within an actual mmo, which Hellgate really isn't.

As always with new mmo's Tabula Rasa needs some work but it's pretty solid from the get go. I was surprised on how good TR was and sadly disappointed by Hellgate, was looking forward to Hellgate way more too but as GFW podcast so accuratly put it 'it's just like Diablo but without the Blizzard factor'.

It's a good start to it in the least. I've heard nothing positive about the later mid and endgame from veterans, but I enjoyed the first little while a fair bit myself. The polish and presentation was suprisingly good; should hook a lot of sci-fi folks eager for something new yet nice.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
JeffGreen said:

European PC mags cram a ridiculous amount of text in them mind you. I don't really understand why gaming magazines in the states are so thin on actual text. I think it's a potential appeal of print magazines to be more verbose.

lockii said:
My point is that's fine for Assassins Creed, I honestly think that whole debacle is a storm in a tea cup. I just find it funny there's the pointing out of a moral high ground right next to a Hellgate: London ad.

I want to like the game, I have been anticipating it for years being a massive D2 fan but I have to admit as good as the game may be, especially given more patch time, it is a product that was shipped a good 8 months too soon and is much worse as a result.
I don't get it, they're still completely different games. Wasn't he talking about Mass Effect in that printscreen btw? I didn't really read it.

MC Safety

elostyle said:
European PC mags cram a ridiculous amount of text in them mind you. I don't really understand why gaming magazines in the states are so thin on actual text. I think it's a potential appeal of print magazines to be more verbose.

Well, it's not necessarily verbosity. More is not always better. Look at some of IGN's 5,000-word plus critiques, if you dare.

This Hellgate review is cleverly written and entertaining. That doesn't necessarily make it a good review.

Here's a review that people actually read from start to finish, and it doesn't offer much in the way of insight or critical analysis at all. Instead of highlighting two or three points and explaining what they mean and why they pothole the game, Chick just sort of ticks off things on the laundry list.

I read the review because, despite not having a PC, I'm genuinely intrigued about how this game turned out. And I really didn't learn anything about it that I couldn't have gotten from disgruntled fan #106 and his blearily written forum post.

Top Bottom