• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump declares ‘total vindication’ in tweet on Comey

Uhhh, you accuse them of doing both? Not exactly rocket science, and even makes sense in theory because it increases leaker's credibility regarding the lie part.

Let's say I work at Nintendo, and I know Nintendo Spotlight starts with New Super Mario Bros. Switch featuring dragon snail enemies, and I want to troll some people. So I post on NeoGAF that there's gonna be New Super Mario Bros. Switch with dragon snails, and also Falcon's Third (EU) / Falcontail (NA), a downloadable game in which Captain Falcon engages in cocktail preparation, which is complete BS, in hope people will believe in that when they see dragon snails. Therefore, in this hypothetical scenario, I'm a leaker and a liar.

No, in that case you are just a liar. "Leak" implies that true information was leaked.

Everyone, including his supporters, knows Trump is guilty as sin. HyperNormalisation has normalized lying as a justifiable way of operating in the current world, so long as the associated denial furthers your political agenda.

Trump really is Putin 2.0. We really are Russia 2.0.

Yet...we are not too far gone and our government and press are still acting as the checks they were meant to be. There still a chance to turn this around in 2018.

Putin is infinitely smarter than Trump. This is not saying much but it also makes Putin way more evil.

Bladelaw

Uhhh, you accuse them of doing both? Not exactly rocket science, and even makes sense in theory because it increases leaker's credibility regarding the lie part.

Let's say I work at Nintendo, and I know Nintendo Spotlight starts with New Super Mario Bros. Switch featuring dragon snail enemies, and I want to troll some people. So I post on NeoGAF that there's gonna be New Super Mario Bros. Switch with dragon snails, and also Falcon's Third (EU) / Falcontail (NA), a downloadable game in which Captain Falcon engages in cocktail preparation, which is complete BS, in hope people will believe in that when they see dragon snails. Therefore, in this hypothetical scenario, I'm a leaker and a liar.
You're not wrong. The difference of course is Nintendo can prove the bullshit part of the story is a lie damaging your credibility to most people. Trump would need to release a tape of their conversation to accomplish the same thing.

Sure, once the dust settles and we know all the facts that's true. But there's a credibility issue here. If you present to me a new rumor, I have to take into account the totality of your record. It's disingenuous to straddle a fence and cite you as a credible source when you present Rumor C because you got Rumor A right and then turn around and toss out some new Rumor D that I don't like and cite how you're probably wrong now because you got Rumor B wrong.

Durden77

So fucking disgusting that he's trying to reduce Comey's service to being a leaker. And it will work with his supporters too.

Such a sad time we live in.

He is ruining your country, destroying your lives and your future. And the best you can do is protest a half-dozen times in 4 month ?

Do you want us to build a guillotine on the White House lawn and drag him out? Do you actually have any idea what we should do?

Comey made sure he kept all of his statements in past tense when it came to Trump not being personally investigated. He left a huge door open about that changing

Comey: Trump WASN'T under investigation.
Republicans/Conservatives: So he ISN'T under investigation.

Remember, GOP, you stressed that "hope" isn't a direct order, well, "wasn't" doesn't mean "isn't".

As someone who speaks English as a foreign language, it's fascinating to see native speakers buy into that doublethink nonsense (Comey being simultaneously a leaker of vindicating truths and a liar...) and the wide misunderstanding of what Comey very carefully chose to say (things like Trump, at that time, not being personally under investigation).

Zautruche

Banned
OK. Suggest concrete things you think people should be doing or please just drop this.

Paralyze your country until he is gone ? Block public transport and businesses during the week ?
Marching down the street on the weekends does nothing. Republicans already know half the country hates them and they still won't do anything about Trump.

At what points do americans get mad about a man who is ruining their country (and the world) ? He doesn't even have the support of a majority of americans.

roknin

He is ruining your country, destroying your lives and your future. And the best you can do is protest a half-dozen times in 4 month ?

Uhhhh... What exactly is it you expect people to do?

Edit:

Paralyze your country until he is gone ? Block public transport and businesses during the week ?
Marching down the street on the weekends does nothing. Republicans already know half the country hates them and they still won't do anything about Trump.

At what points do americans get mad about a man who is ruining their country (and the world) ? He doesn't even have the support of a majority of americans.

The only thing that would hurt are those specific businesses / areas and people would likely lose their jobs. It would do nothing to stop the government from moving forward, and considering that Republicans control things right now, it still wouldn't get him removed. That would take more republicans finding their souls.

There has been a shit ton of effort against this administration, from private citizens to elected officials. Downplaying it because it doesn't meet your frankly unrealistic standards is just a terrible look.

My guess is that Trump does not think that he did anything illegal by "suggesting" to the FBI director that he should let somebody off the hook (or an entire investigation). He probably thinks he has a right to do so, hence why he only focuses on the leaked information.

It's not as simple as His word vs. His word, so far as cancelling out Comey's statements.

If Comey's memos were ever admitted as evidence, which a Trump Defense attorney might actually allow if they were trying to scheme some sort of perjury accusation against Comey, it will ultimately come down to a group of people (jury, congressmen, etc...) deciding who they trust more - an unbiased, tenured FBI Director who has served under 2.5 presidents with distinction -or- a scandal-plagued President who lies publicly every couple weeks on Twitter, in between ramblings and rantings, and occasionally self-incriminates himself with only a "Hey, I'm just a new guy" defense.

Fact is - nobody can prove Comey is wrong and everything points to Trump having attempted to Obstruct Justice by firing, defaming and then publicly threatening the FBI director.

In the court of public opinion, you are guilty until proven innocent by the masses. Trump will either be impeached/resign before the end of his term or the voters will oust him and many others in the GoP in 2020/2018.

The GoP will have to do a lot of polling this year to find out if their voter base is still behind them for 2018 or if they want Trump replaced. If the GoP stand behind Trump and misread their own voters, they're all screwed.

Couleurs

Marching down the street on the weekends does nothing.

Yeah, keeping people from getting to work/school and harming businesses that have absolutely no ties with Trump or Republicans in general will be what makes Trump go "hmmm maybe I should step down"

Aiii

So not worth it
So, turns out Trump also kept notes of his meeting with Comey, he just released them:
trumpmemo.png

He's really not that smart, is he?
A lot of rich people aren't, i've noticed. Maybe the desire for more money and power is for stupid people anyway. They need it most.

nah

We are not at the bus-blocking phase yet.

The American political system is powerful, but slow. We need to let it take its course, while fighting hard to keep it on track and at speed.

We would damage the system irrevokably if we just ignored the process and went straight to civil disobedience and rioting.

Peaceful protest and making sure the investigations continue are the appropriate and powerful steps we are taking.

Ripping senators from the roman senate did not help the stability of the roman republic, after all.

We are, and we also need to do things like generate income and provide for our families. Which is why we get up in the morning, use public transport and get our asses in to work. We're donating money to places like the ACLU, the NAACP, Black Lives Matter, and numerous other organizations. We're making our voices heard in town halls, we're running for office in lots of different districts, we're committing on a state and city level to continue to make the world a better place.

We aren't going to let anger force us to do things that won't work, or will hurt us in the long run.

gutshot

This would accomplish nothing except get a shit ton of people arrested and cause people on the fence to side more with the pro-Trump people since the anti-Trump people are fucking up their daily lives.

I'm completely fine with that. There is still a criminal investigation to deal with though. All that completely shutting down the US now would do is vindicate Trump among the GOP and his base which would probably violently respond to such a display, hold up the investigation and cause GOP legislators to speed though legislation that rips up the constitution for the sake of protecting Trump and themselves by making it illegal to protest etc. The country will just speed toward the destabilization that Putin was looking to do by interfering with our election and boosting Trump. When it needs to happen, it'll happen.

Zautruche

Banned
We are not at the bus-blocking phase yet.

The American political system is powerful, but slow. We need to let it take its course, while fighting hard to keep it on track and at speed.

We would damage the system irrevokably if we just ignored the process and went straight to civil disobedience and rioting.

Peaceful protest and making sure the investigations continue are the appropriate and powerful steps we are taking.

Ripping senators from the roman senate did not help the stability of the roman republic, after all.

You mean the same political system that allows the one with less votes to win ? That allows a president to have close advisers with ties to an hostile regime ? That allows a president to leak intelligence to the same regime ? That allows a president to obstruct justice without facing immediate repercussions even though he admits it ?
Yes let's trust that system.

Otnopolit

I hope he accidentally takes down the party with him. Conservatives deserve a better party, and maybe, just maybe, starting over with some of them will mean less spin in the future. Didn't work with the tea party, but they don't want to listen to facts, so what other legal/moral thing can we do besides hope?

Monocle

So, turns out Trump also kept notes of his meeting with Comey, he just released them:
trumpmemo.png
Fake news. If this were written by Trump the entire letter would have fit vertically on one line, on account of his incredibly tiny hands.

Reliable sources confirm that he has to write by gripping a pube in his fist and carefully dipping it into a thimble filled with ink.

Well, duh. What else are they going to say? It's not like they can admit it was bad for him.

Man, even if Trump was being literally dragged out of the Oval Office in Handcuffs, you just know they'd somehow twist it so it was the greatest American Victory somehow.

Confirmation bias is a helluva drug.

You mean the same political system that allows the one with less votes to win ? That allows a president to have close advisers with ties to an hostile regime ? That allows a president to leak intelligence to the same regime ? That allows a president to obstruct justice without facing immediate repercussions even though he admits it ?
Yes let's trust that system.

It's the one we have and has worked for 230+ years. It is inherently designed to be slow. That is an important part of its stability. We are not just defending particular laws and issues here, we are defending the system itself.

We believe in the system and its process, we are offened by Trump's breaking its norms and possibly laws. We cannot break its norms as well, even if doing so damages us in the short term.

We have faith in our system. While we have to fight for (but acklowledge we may lose) particular​ laws and norms in the short term, the important battle is for protecting the overall system.

I have faith that while we will take losses in the immediate future, the American system will resolve this. Think of it as a boulder rolling down a shallow hill -- it goes slow and haltingly, but ay the bottom the momemtum is powerful.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Look we know Comey was just trying to slander the POTUS after being canned for a job he clearly couldn't handle..why would we take anything he says seriously especially since he didn't have the courage to speak out before he was fired? He was just trying to save his own hide and now that he's fired he had to use a reporter to tell his story cause he didn't have the stones.

Comey is weak, a leaker and close to being a traitor. If anything we should be praising Trump for standing in the face of the liberal media and doing what is best for the American people.

/FoxNews

Blader

"Block public transit" seems like a strategy that would mainly only work in cities (areas that by and large voted for Hillary), and would do little to the suburban and rural Trump voters who get around in cars.

I can't wait until it leaks that Trump is being directly investigated by Mueller

Trump is pretty much fucked. Having a special counsel means everything Trump has done will be poured over. Every bit of tax evasion, connection with Russian mobsters, sexual assault, and Russian collusion will be looked at by Mueller. If I'm not mistaken the Clinton impeachment started because of some old land deal he had been apart of.

Top Bottom