• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to comprehend Cloud's Advent Children outfit (and other videogame outfits)

Alric

No, he is wearing assless chaps during the game.

ZDTzNiL.jpg

That's redundant, all Chaps are assless.

Ishida

Banned
I'm hardly a prude when it comes to videogame designs (well, it depends), but Naomi's inexplicably open top made it hard to empathize with what was an otherwise downbeat character.

Like I imagine Kojima's script went something like: "Everything is sad," Naomi cried, her scientist tits on full display.

The feels, I... I don't know how to feel.

No. You just don't get it. Naomi breathes through her tits. If she covered them, she would suffocate to death.

jaydogg691

Wait, what? Cloud is coming to smash? I've been out of the loop to much. Damn you Holidays!

If you want to know why Cloud's outfit is like that is because Japan.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks fine to me. I liked Cloud and Tifa's redesigns in AC more than their original outfits even

Now, I really like Lulu in the game, but this outfit takes belts to a whole new level. How does that dress not fall off???? Is it superglued to her nipples? This baffles me.

Lulu.png

This one never bothered me too much. I saw goth girls wear equally ridiculous shit back in the 90s. It was a product of its time.

I don't get why people complain about functionality when it comes to fantasy designs. They just have to be visually striking and memorable. Like I can understand if designs are straight up ugly or approach Rob Liefield/90s comics levels of pouches everywhere, horrible color schemes, and overall ugliness. But it makes so sense to hold the functionality of say Lulu's outfit against her.

All these years later people still vividly remember her look.

Neiteio

I don't get why people complain about functionality when it comes to fantasy designs. They just have to be visually striking and memorable. Like I can understand if designs are straight up ugly or approach Rob Liefield/90s comics levels of pouches everywhere, horrible color schemes, and overall ugliness. But it makes so sense to hold the functionality of say Lulu's outfit against her.

All these years later people still vividly remember her look.
I don't think anyone's complaining. Just earnestly trying to understand how it fits together!

I mean, all of these outfits must work somehow, since someone cosplayed them at one point or another. :)

Hedge

This one never bothered me too much. I saw goth girls wear equally ridiculous hit back in the 90s. It was a product of its time.

I think it's also the context. She is - as far as I recall - the only person in the entire game that wears anything like that. It feels so misplaced against the vivid greens and reds and blues in the game. Her design just feels an odd attempt at sex appeal, which is super odd given how her character is portrayed in interactions and dialogue.

Fehyd

Banned
He has the sleeve and skirt part on his left side because he's right handed. In a sword fight he'd have his left side in front.

It's actually pretty practical.

Neiteio

He has the sleeve and skirt part on his left side because he's right handed. In a sword fight he'd have his left side in front.

It's actually pretty practical.
Yeah, I noted this in the OP. Same reason for the classic outfit having the metal gauntlet and shoulder pad on the left side.

I think it's also the context. She is - as far as I recall - the only person in the entire game that wears anything like that. It feels so misplaced against the vivid greens and reds and blues in the game. Her design just feels an odd attempt at sex appeal, which is super odd given how her character is portrayed in interactions and dialogue.

Agreed, I was just taking it on its own. Within the FFX universe it makes no sense.

PBalfredo

Now, I really like Lulu in the game, but this outfit takes belts to a whole new level. How does that dress not fall off???? Is it superglued to her nipples? This baffles me.

Lulu.png

The craziest thing about Lulu's costume is the shockingly high number of cosplayers that have actually been able to make it work. Belt skirt and all. I would have completely written it off as impossible.

Talax

Lulu.png

I wonder how long it took Wakka to take off those belts.......yeah......

Neiteio

The craziest thing about Lulu's costume is the shockingly high number of cosplayers that have actually been able to make it work. Belt skirt and all. I would have completely written it off as impossible.
I imagine a cosplayer's belt-skirt would just involve taking a wire-frame skirt (for structure) covered in solid material and fastening belts to it.

I don't think anyone's complaining. Just earnestly trying to understand how it fits together!

I mean, all of these outfits must work somehow, since someone cosplayed them at one point or another. :)
I've been around long enough to know there's always someone complaining.

yeah, functionally it is ridiculous, and more importantly, it makes no sense within the context of the fictional universe it exists in.
i don't think 'it's fantasy duhhhh' just hand waves terrible, over-designed nonsense.

Roubjon

I don't think there needs to be any explanation for any of these outfits, it's just having a good time and enjoying being a fantasy artist in a creative field.

I'll never understand why people can't accept it just because they think the outfits look stupid or something.

arhra

There isn't much holding it up on her shoulders, and it's a bit baggy. I figured she would just straighten out her body, and it would literally fall off.

It has what appears to be a corset of sorts integrated in the upper part (or maybe worn over the top of the dress). I can't find a rear view of the in-game model to confirm, but I'd assume it laces up in the back. If it's properly fitted, that ain't gonna just fall off.

Sakujou

Banned
why do people act surprised?

i love all those quirky outfits. the more WTF they are, the more i like them.

its a game, i dont want to reminded by real life logic in a game.

therefore i love fucked up designs like fft a2.

on the other hand, iam tired of gothic/emo/bucklebelt guys from nomura. i cant stand them anymore. kingdom hearts was already too much, seeing the world ends with you and advent children doing this killed me.

i hope nomura will get in jail after ff15.

one of my favourite outfits was from rogue galaxy worn by kisala:
latest

and the standard one (left one is kisala, right one doesnt look good):
99611-203484-KAjpg-620x.jpg

I unapologetically adore Lulu's belt outfit.

I love styled shit that is impractical and unrealistic. I live for that in video games.

Talax

Thorgal

Father Balder .

DMX8s8j.png

Look , i understand he's an angelic being so he should dress to impress , but eh ... why the Peacock ?

DrArchon

Father Balder .

Look , i understand he's an angelic being so he should dress to impress , but eh ... why the Peacock ?

The peacock feathers are perfect. Only males have those feathers, which fits with the theme of the Lumen being the evil patriarchy vs the feminine Umbra.

Neiteio

The peacock feathers are perfect. Only males have those feathers, which fits with the theme of the Lumen being the evil patriarchy vs the feminine Umbra.
That's an interesting way to look at it, but the Lumen serve a feminine goddess (Jubileus).

DrArchon

That's an interesting way to look at it, but the Lumen serve a feminine goddess (Jubileus).

Well, that's the ultimate irony of it all that in the end this clearly masculine group worships a goddess instead of a god.

At least that's how I saw it.

Teeth

Lulu.png

It's a corset over her dress. It's held from her midsection (likely as tight as could possibly be). The top is just covered over, like a lot of strapless dresses. The bottom would be extremely heavy, but a good cinch on the corset and it could hold (as has been done in cosplay many times).

wiibomb

Father Balder .

DMX8s8j.png

because he's FABULOUS.

No seriously, angels in bayonetta are designed with peacock's feathers in mind, there is another angel in bayonetta with similar design (its a kind of huge spoiler)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't think there needs to be any explanation for any of these outfits, it's just having a good time and enjoying being a fantasy artist in a creative field.

I'll never understand why people can't accept it just because they think the outfits look stupid or something.
Because having a believe character design is incredibly important. Adding stuff because "it looks cool" is a terrible way to design a character. There's a method to these things. And the bibles for some of these characters must lbs an absolute mess. It's why the most memorable character designs as usually quite humble, tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the character, and funnily enough, don't look very stupid or out of place in context.

Neiteio

because he's FABULOUS.

No seriously, angels in bayonetta are designed with peacock's feathers in mind, there is another angel in bayonetta with similar design (its a kind of huge spoiler)
In "Eyes of Bayonetta," they talk about how the angels were designed to look arrogant. So they dress themselves up in gold, porcelain and jewels, peacock feathers and ribbons, etc. Many of them look like walking cathedrals — monuments to their own egos.

Top Bottom